IGNORED

The Weird, the Bad, and the Ugly: Name Discussion - Merge

OkToBeTakei

* Chardonnay and her twin Merlot (in the same class)

This is just mean. Maybe I'm extreme in my views, but I mantain things like that should be considered a form of child abuse. The parents are, to all effects, invoking ridicule upon their children.

Hywelis

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just mean. Maybe I'm extreme in my views, but I mantain things like that should be considered a form of child abuse. The parents are, to all effects, invoking ridicule upon their children.

Hywelis

Oi, I've got a cousin called Chardonnay! I don't think she gets mocked for it, but she goes by Char. It's not weirder than being called Brandy.

I don't see why Talula couldn't just remove "does the Hula from Hawaii". Talula is a perfectly fine name, even pretty, in my opinion.

I do like the "judge test" for baby naming. I.e., if the name I am contemplating wouldn't sound right for a prestigious position like a judge, I don't put it on the "maybe" list. Not that I plan to push my future kid to do something "prestigious" if that's not their gig, but I also don't want their name to be a deterrent.

I also like the "playground test", but at the same time, you can get teased for pretty much anything. Basically, I guess I'm just saying it's probably a good idea to try and not make your kid's name an impediment to their life if at all possible.

The most unusual names I've encountered: Uniquea, Lovely, Snowflake, and LaPrayer. With LaPrayer, I actually didn't realize for a long time that her name wasn't LaPraya...(I'm from Boston. ;) )

Oi, I've got a cousin called Chardonnay! I don't think she gets mocked for it, but she goes by Char. It's not weirder than being called Brandy.

Think it became popular here after the TV show which escapes me JFC. Maybe sounds a bit weird if not seen. Merlot and Chardonnay though is pushin' it.

I found it amusingly ironic that one year in middle school, there were 3 girls named Uniqua in my son's grade.

While separately all fine names I went to school with a boy who's 4 sisters were named Jade, Amber, Autumn and Summer.

I also have a cousin who named his child Holly Sunshine.

I suggest the Scrabble test. Spell out your future child's name in Scrabble tiles. Add up the numbers and divide by the number of letters in the name. If the average value exceeds 4, rethink the name.

Case in point: Emily = 1+3+1+1+4 = 10 / 5 letters = 2 per letter ==> no problem

Qwooz = 10+4+1+1+10 = 26/5 = 5.2 per letter ==> back to the drawing board

I remember being about 17 or 18 - so this must have been sometime in 2004 - and waiting in line at the bank behind a woman with twins, whom I heard her addressing as Chicane and Shania! I also was at school with twins whose mum had thoughtfully named them Amy and Jamie.

Some people also don't take into account surnames - I used to have a colleague with the surname Berry who named her daughter Holly. And last year I worked with a Katherine Wheale! She told me she'd never forgiven her parents for that.

I wish they banned some names here. My aunt is a homeschool visit teacher (supervising teacher) for a homeschool board here in Alberta. She visits an uber fundie family that has 8 kids with crazy stupid fundie names. My aunt is fundie/fundie-lite but she really doesn't enjoy having to visit this family in the slightest, lol. She says they are really weird. My aunt doesn't typically get gossipy about anyone, ever, much less express dislike about people, so for her to say anything about this family....

Anyway, all their kids have ridiculous names like Hallelujah Christ is Lord, Jevhovah Jirah My Saviour, Praise The Lord, and so on. Seriously. Those are their actual, literal names. No normal middle names either, like Susan or Robert or whatever. It's insane.

I recall seeing some video showing a recreation of a teacher taking attendance in a Puritan(?) (or maybe similar time school in England?) where the names were all utterly ridiculous by modern standards, mainly because most of them were pretty much complete phrases from the Bible. Some were some fairly slangy (and rude-sounding) occupational names, too. I wish I could find it now - all the names were taken from period sources. So you have kids named "Go forth and sin no more" and stuff like that.

When it comes to modern names the main ones I feel bad about are ones where the name is a word that's just clearly not good. From the original article posted, someone named a kid "Anal"? Not a fan... lots of the others were weird maybe but you can tell the parents meant well, things like King and whatever.

The single alphabet names - just give your kid a name and call by initials like people have forever.

Think it became popular here after the TV show which escapes me JFC. Maybe sounds a bit weird if not seen. Merlot and Chardonnay though is pushin' it.

Totes, you might as well call them "I Like The Drink".

I don't necessarily think names should be banned, but calling her that is setting her up to be teased, so hopefully she can go by just Talulah or even Tallie until she is old enough to legally change her name to just Talulah. Phrases as names have been around for a long time (think Puritans). We still use some virtue names in the US-thinking of Faith, Hope, Joy, Grace, etc. I know of a Patience Mackenzie as well. I have heard of Essence, Diamond, Precious, Jazlyn, Lucky (girl), Niccia, Nevada, and others that are unusual.

On t.v I have heard Alycesaundra (yes, really, they spelled it that way), Meadow, Sparkal Queenz, Latrina, Cavin, Iyanna, Story, Saryniti (Serenity), Cruz, Angelle (claimed it was French for Angel, which it isn't), Maddox, Maverick, Cealy, Kragen, Aishlyyn (Eye-shhh-lean), Daylee, Camarie (after the squid, but spelled different), Ryker, Dulce, Klowie (Chloe), etc.

Can't forget the celebrities who names their children: Suri, Moxie Crimefighter, Sage Moonblood, Pilot Inspektor, Kal-El, Apple, Fifi Trixiebelle, Kyd, Destry, Memphis, Prince Michael, Blanket, Rocket, Blue Angel, Moon Unit, Audio Science, Diva Thin Muffin, Tu Morrow, Jermajesty, Dweezil, Alabama Gypsy Rose, Rumer, Scout, Banjo, Camera, Barron, Denim, Coco, Calico, Everly Bear, Pirate, Poet Sienna Rose, Puma, Zowie (David Bowie's daughter), Tabooger, Sailor, etc.

I am glad my parents named a top name of the 80s, but there are too many variations of name that people constantly ask me how I spell it. It's really not a hard name to spell, at all. People spell it with a K, Kr, Khr, Chr or Cr though so they always ask how it's spelled. Purposely spelling a child's name "different" on a common name grates me the most because that child will send her/his entire life spelling their name out for everyone.

On t.v I have heard Alycesaundra (yes, really, they spelled it that way), Meadow, Sparkal Queenz, Latrina, Cavin, Iyanna, Story, Saryniti (Serenity), Cruz, Angelle (claimed it was French for Angel, which it isn't), Maddox, Maverick, Cealy, Kragen, Aishlyyn (Eye-shhh-lean), Daylee, Camarie (after the squid, but spelled different), Ryker, Dulce, Klowie (Chloe), etc.

Toddlers and Tiaras names. They are so bad and spelled terribly.

The phrase thing I understand because my surname is gealic for "Son of The love of Christ" When names were passed put based on jobs apparently my ancestor was a minister and thats where the name came from the next generation were son of which is mac making Macgilchrist.

Moxie Crimefighter and Knox Defender should get together and form a superhero troupe... or some really out there law firm.

I've known other people named Suri, though I think it was a nickname (and they are very much older than Suri Cruise).

Latrina

I hope poor Latrina never comes to Italy or has to introduce herselt to an Italian. In Italian, her name means "privy", "outside bathroom", and it has taken on a distinctive pejorative meaning (e.g. if you say a place is a latrina it means it's dirty to the point of being severely gross, or if someone smells like a latrina, they smell like an unflushed toilet. Things like that).

Poor kid.

Hywelis

Moxie Crimefighter and Knox Defender should get together and form a superhero troupe... or some really out there law firm.

I've known other people named Suri, though I think it was a nickname (and they are very much older than Suri Cruise).

Among Orthodox Jews, Suri is a very, very common Yiddish nickname for Sarah.

Totes, you might as well call them "I Like The Drink".

One of my niblings shares a first name (spelling and all) with a brand of whiskey.

Purposely spelling a child's name "different" on a common name grates me the most because that child will send her/his entire life spelling their name out for everyone.

But most people have to spell their names out anyway. People just can't fucking spell. I personally, would default to Carrie, Kathy, Emily, and Zach, but Starbucks workers by my office tend to write down Carey, Cathy, Emilie, Zac. Unless your name is something like "Kevin", "Bob,"Pat," or "Todd," there is probably an alternate spelling, and at some point, someone will ask you if you prefer a K or a C or ie versus y. Even Something as simple as John Smith could have an alternate spelling, and no one knows what the default for other people is.

I have an unusual name and I dislike it, however, I don't think it should be illegal to give kids non standard names. I think if I was raised with confidence and parents who took an interest in my emotional well being, I might like my name more. But instead I go by a nickname. Shrug.

Am I the only one who thinks Moxie Crimefighter is pretty cute? You know she goes by Moxie, which is adorbs.

One of my niblings shares a first name (spelling and all) with a brand of whiskey.

Hey I knew a girl named Brandy who named her child Rummy. Chardonnay seems like a perfectly reasonable name now.

Now I'm going to have to guess...

Islay?

Grouse?

Glenmorangie?

Laphroig?

Springbank?

Glenfiddich?

Oban?

Johnnie Walker? (just kidding)

Chivas Regal?

Is she a malt at all?

:lol:

I don't see why Talula couldn't just remove "does the Hula from Hawaii". Talula is a perfectly fine name, even pretty, in my opinion.

The most unusual names I've encountered: Uniquea, Lovely, Snowflake, and LaPrayer. With LaPrayer, I actually didn't realize for a long time that her name wasn't LaPraya...(I'm from Boston. ;) )

I have an aunt whose name I did not realize had an "R" in it until I saw it written out. I was in my 20's. Sad but true... Then there was the time my husband called me at work to ask me what an acana bead was. After making him repeat the word several times, I asked him to use it in a sentence. He told me he had called my dad about some house construction stuff, and my dad told him we needed an acana bead. After I got done laughing, I told him "No dude. We need a corner bead. CORNER!" Gotta love that Boston accent! :D

I'm not big on the government banning names. There's too much subjectivity in what's attractive for that to work.

I agree the banning thing is a bit as we say here 'nanny state.' But I do wonder if some kind of legislation regarding it may prevent so much fuckwittery. No idea how it could be enacted. NZ seems pretty cool to me right now after reading this thread :lol:

Now I'm going to have to guess...

Islay?

Grouse?

Glenmorangie?

Laphroig?

Springbank?

Glenfiddich?

Oban?

Johnnie Walker? (just kidding) :lol:

Chivas Regal?

Is she a malt at all?

:lol:

I was lobbying for Laphroig for their youngest. (Not actually true; I suggested "Beatrice" and "Zenobia," because I have a weak spot for little kids with granny names.) If you want a hint, the wee one in question is an Irish whiskey.

I was lobbying for Laphroig for their youngest. (Not actually true; I suggested "Beatrice" and "Zenobia," because I have a weak spot for little kids with granny names.) If you want a hint, the wee one in question is an Irish whiskey.

Please tell me not Paddy's :lol:

My child has a totally Irish name spelt in the Gaelic way. I do not care if she has to spell it, which she does and will do. As others have said even those called John Smith need to spell their names. But I am kind of leaning toward Hiwell (sp) that some are child abuse, or at least parental abuse not seriously so, but sometimes sense needs to be knocked in?

Bushmill?

Please tell me not Paddy's :lol:

My child has a totally Irish name spelt in the Gaelic way. I do not care if she has to spell it, which she does and will do. As others have said even those called John Smith need to spell their names. But I am kind of leaning toward Hiwell (sp) that some are child abuse, or at least parental abuse not seriously so, but sometimes sense needs to be knocked in?

Bushmill?

Tullamore Dew? Redbreast?

2c: a weird name is hardly the greatest impediment a child has inflected upon them by their parents.

Also, having had to spell out my name every single time I give it, and often correct people who write something different after I've verbally spelled it out (or when they have documentation with the correct spelling in front of them) is quite irritating, but I've never thought my parents were cruel or unthinking in giving me the name.

Archived