IGNORED

A fat person dared to get in my pro-life picture

formergothardite

It's just rude. The Catholics give you a ride and you want to show total disrespect.

Also, remember that while Rick Santorum is so pro-life that instead of having an abortion (simple medical procedure), a baby that they knew was not yet viable was allowed to be born and die to save his wife's life. Even if it's not called an abortion, they made a decision that they felt was necessary for the health of their family that resulted in a child being concieved and not born. Also remember that Rick Santorum may be pro-life, but he's anti-health care (despite the fact that his government health care has made all the difference in the world towards his daughter's quality of life).

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there is a responsible Psalm. Some churches sing it, in others it it just spoken.

I think you mean "responsorial" psalm.

Not to mention her absolutely obnoxious comments about Catholicism...despite the fact she was enjoying their transportation, hospitality and space. And no, she's not Heidi Klum.

I suggest next time she find a different group to ride with. Maybe Rick Santorum will give her a ride. Oops, he's Catholic.

Obese photobomber? It looks like he was just walking through. And Miss Thang isn't exactly Heidi Klum.

He looks like a big man. Overweight, yes. Obese, not really. And what difference does it make? I would think he was there for the same reason she was, to peacefully protest abortion. I'm not sure what a photobomber is, maybe someone who deliberately gets in the way when photos are being taken? I think he's just a person walking from one place to another.

She was just incredible rude and actually went out of her way to be obnoxious to the Catholic people who offered her a ride. Basic manners say not to treat people that way.

I suggest next time she find a different group to ride with. Maybe Rick Santorum will give her a ride. Oops, he's Catholic.

I'm sure former Governor Romney would give her a ride. He tends to like putting his extra passengers into cages on the top of his car though. Look out for the hose, just as a friendly FYI.

And of course, she flounces without answering one question. :roll:

Well there is no way to defend what she wrote. She can't even pretend she is being persecuted in the name of Jesus since Jesus would firmly be on our side.

19. She's 19. I remember myself at 19 and thank god the Internet didnt exist. I just can't get all excited about what a 19 year old thinks. They've experienced little, know less, and just don't have the intellectual wherewithal to form coherent, legitimate positions on much.

19. She's 19. I remember myself at 19 and thank god the Internet didnt exist. I just can't get all excited about what a 19 year old thinks. They've experienced little, know less, and just don't have the intellectual wherewithal to form coherent, legitimate positions on much.

This. Truer words were never spoken!

Sadly she is taking these ideas and views of people who are not like her and will be using them to teach children and women in Africa this fall. Because the person who stays here and gets a job at Subway and doesn't beat people over the head with a Bible isn't following Christ. They aren't even making godly sandwiches.

Anything you say over the internet matters. Why? Because, you aren't just spouting off youthful ignorance and stupidity to your best friend - you are spouting it off to the world. Cyber-bullying is big and it is real. Calling someone fat is bullying. I don't care if you are 19 or 47 - it is not appropriate or acceptable behaviour.

That being said - ofasingleheart, I do hope you will stay around and listen to what others here at FJ have to say. You don't have to agree with everything, but it is incredibly good to listen to people with differing opinions and viewpoints and to open your mind to the fact that the world is a million shades of grey, and very little black and white.

Well there is no way to defend what she wrote. She can't even pretend she is being persecuted in the name of Jesus since Jesus would firmly be on our side.

There is no defense, but if she's still reading, I will offer her some advice as to what she should say. When I first started teaching, I quickly learned that in a conflict with a parent, if I was wrong, the best thing to do was to say, "I was wrong." Most people are very forgiving. If you can admit that you were at fault, people respect that. It's also good to throw in a, "I learned from this." Now, if I didn't believe I was wrong, I didn't back down. But sometimes, I just plain was wrong. Admit it. Say you are sorry. Learn from it. We've all had to do that.

I am a former Catholic. I have a few points for you:

- The vast majority of Catholics do not cross themselves whenever crossing state lines. Please do not conflate individual practices with the group.

- Many Catholics carry copies of the Bible. In fact, from what I understand, prior to Vatican II, MOST Catholics my family knew carried Bibles, as the mass was in Latin and having an English copy was useful so you could follow the readings.

- I am not sure what group you travelled with, but I grew up Catholic and never worried about "interpreting wrong" when I was in catechism. Yes, the church provides interpretations. No, Catholics are not afraid of the Bible. I am 95% certain you made up that "quote"

- Squabbling? Darling, the Protestants are the squabblers who regularly schism. The Catholic church has 1 billion members. I'm guessing your sect of a Protestant denomination has no where near that many.

- An atheist can't "come to Christ alone in faith for salvation." If they are an Atheist, they do not believe in the divinity of Christ. Duh.

- I was never quizzed on transubstantiation when I was a Catholic. Is it a doctrine? Yes. But the import you place on it makes me believe you didn't know anything until you read that website on Catholics.

- What Catholics DO believe is that your works on Earth are important for your salvation. So you can't claim you believe in Jesus and then do terrible things on purpose and go to heaven just because you accepted Jesus.

- Catholics were Christians long before you were. Every Catholic I have ever met (and I grew up Catholic!) considers themselves Christians.

- Catholics do not put Papal authority before Jesus. The Papacy is believed to be guided by God. Jesus is a Catholic's savior. The Pope leads the believers on earth.

- Works do not "renew" your salvation. Works are an inherent part of being a good person and Christians are called to behave as such.

- The rosary, as stated by an earlier poster, is a meditative prayer. Each type of rosary is centered around events in Jesus's life. The prayers do, indeed, reference Jesus. Not sure how you heard 416 Hail Marys and failed to hear "blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus" every time.

- The Pope is not the word of God. Jesus is the word.

- A Basilica is a type of church, as stated above. I am guessing the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is inside the Basilica.

- It sounds like the people around you were trying to help you understand the Mass and you were rude. They were trying to give you what was essentially a program of Mass.

As a fat person, I am going to give it to you straight.

1. We have the right to exist. Yes, even where you can see us.

2. You do not have the right to treat us as if we committed a social sin by existing in public.

3. What you did was only to be expected from a young person raised in the graceless, loveless, smug, mean-spirited culture of fundamentalism. Nevertheless, knock it off.

4. If the man you insulted contacts you, apologize immediately and publicly for your rude behavior--period. Do not "speak the truth in love" to him. Do not attempt in any way to excuse your egregious insult. Do not tell him that you will pray for him or bless his heart; we all know what those really mean.

5. Should you care to learn more about what it means to be fat in this world, lurk here for a while: http://fatheffalump.wordpress.com/

6. Keep this in mind at all times: Anything you post online is immediately on worldwide public view unless you take steps to make it private.

7. IRL or online, LURK MOAR.

ouch

My composition students are 18 or 19. They grew up in a wide range of circumstances. Somehow they all can construct reasonable arguments and disagree with each other without insulting each other's bodies or religious practices. It is not that hard to be civil to other human beings.

I agree about being extremely grateful the internet did not exist when I was young. Some days I'm not so sure it was a good invention at all !

I think most very young people tend to be EXTREMELY adamant about the rightness of all of their beliefs, no matter what their beliefs are. And many (not all) tend to be extremely arrogant in how "right" they are.

I won't even quibble with her various religious and political beliefs, because strong opinions exist on all sides of every issue.

BUT - I think the "obese photobomber" was really over-the-top, even for a 19 year old. That sounds, to me, more like something you would scold your 12 year old for.

And that is the shame of the internet, now it's there for the world to see.

Well she received a lot of hateful comments on her blog and has gotten a persecution complex. The thing is, if she would have admitted that her words were childish, mean and wrong(especially from a Christian missionary blog) and removed the offending text, perhaps along with a brief apology and explanation on that blog post, she probably wouldn't have gotten the amount of hateful comments she is getting. It would also be the mature, adult thing to do. But she went the childish, stubborn, "I'm not going to let those meanies tell me I'm mean" way, and this is what happens.

This is her response in the comments of her most recent post:

I'm not perfect. I've made mistakes just like you have

You are right, we all make mistakes. Your words about the "obese photobomber" were not a mistake, you didn't accidently write that, you meant it at that time. If you now realize how offensive that is, admit it and apologize. It is very simple.

Go ahead, judge me, imagine what mistakes I've made. I wish I hadn't made them

Think about all the people you judge, now realize how you feel now is how you make many people feel. It isn't nice is it? We can't erase past mistakes, but we can learn from them and change how we react in the future.

I'm sitting here crying wishing I hadn't made some of the mistakes I have in the past. I'm thinking of a lot of things I should have not done and how I've made people feel.

Again, you can't erase past mistakes, but you CAN learn and change. I think you are crying for yourself instead of all the people you have hurt, but have a good cry, then get up and go be a different person. Don't be the rude person who insults the people who nicely offers her a ride. Don't be the hateful person who goes all "Squee Muslims and minorities". Don't be the sort of person who would write the obese photobomber comment. Be a better person.

But I can't take more people rejecting me and telling me I'm not worthy, not good enough, not pretty enough, whatever. You may not have a heart, but I still do and it hurts. Go report back to whatever site you came from about my flouncing or whatever and stop leaving comments that have nothing to do with the conversation

Oh my. I'm trying to think of a response to a person who mocks people for their weight and then cries because people think she isn't pretty enough. She just is really immature. Yes her feelings are hurt, I think she really viewed herself as being this totally nice person who wasn't a fundie at all, and then to have it pointed out that she is mean, rude and a fundie has to be a shock. But she needs to stop wallowing in self-pity.

I know I'm not a good person, because I'm a sinner.

This is just deflecting the blame. You are not taking responsibility for what you said, you are trying to pass it off of you being a sinner so you can't help it.

We may disagree with that, but that doesn't make me a racist, or you a liberal freak. We're people. We're people trying to live as best we know how

Yes, we are all people, but your words and actions show that you don't really view anyone outside your bubble as a person, you view them as an object you can try to save. You treat people how you want to treat people and don't give a damn about how they actually want to be treated. You do not respect other people, religions, or cultures.

But I'm tired of not being able to get along with others because they dismiss what I say.

If you are finding that others don't want to be around you because of what you say, then perhaps it might be you and not everyone else. Just saying. You are the one who dismiss what other people believe. You are the one that went out of your way to insult the Catholic people who were being nice to you. You are the one that made a woman on a bus get up and move away from you. If you want people to get a long with you, change how you treat people. And learn some basic manners.

I'm sorry for anything that might have offended you here

Listen Anne Shirley, this isn't an apology. Or even accepting responsibility for your words. Please grow up before you go try to save the world.

My composition students are 18 or 19. They grew up in a wide range of circumstances. Somehow they all can construct reasonable arguments and disagree with each other without insulting each other's bodies or religious practices. It is not that hard to be civil to other human beings.

This. I teach college students. Yes, many of them are immature. Many others have had life experiences that I cannot possibly imagine, and come up with ideas that their professors often cannot see because sometimes specialization makes us myopic. To say that they are all unformed blobs without anything interesting to say is preposterous and insulting. Give the youth a little more credit - and responsibility.

I find this appropriate.

HN1ru6_u8lY

Very, very appropriate! :lol:

ABXeIq5fTF8

I did not actually watch this whole thing, I gave up after "People ask me how I got to be so smart."

Archived