IGNORED

A fat person dared to get in my pro-life picture

formergothardite

I'm not buying the "she's only 19" thing. I know plenty of 19-year-olds who a) wouldn't call a man walking past while taking a picture an "obese photobomber" and b) if they did, they'd have the maturity to acknowledge they screwed up.

19 is legally an adult. 19 is old enough to have a say in who runs the country. 19 is old enough to show compassion for others and admit when you're wrong.

It's just rude. The Catholics give you a ride and you want to show total disrespect.

Also, remember that while Rick Santorum is so pro-life that instead of having an abortion (simple medical procedure), a baby that they knew was not yet viable was allowed to be born and die to save his wife's life. Even if it's not called an abortion, they made a decision that they felt was necessary for the health of their family that resulted in a child being concieved and not born. Also remember that Rick Santorum may be pro-life, but he's anti-health care (despite the fact that his government health care has made all the difference in the world towards his daughter's quality of life).

I think I understand what you're getting at here (how is it better to let a baby die just after birth than to abort it beforehand?), but I can't work out how letting the baby be born and die was good for his wife's health, unless it was induced? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything to suggest it had been.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For someone who is 19 with limited life experience, you can only expect them to know better if they have been taught better. Obviously she has not, and this is not snark. If she didn't get them primary lesson of doing unto others as she would want done unto her, she'll have to pick it up as she goes along into adulthood. Hopefully this thread will at least get her thinking. It's a start.

First lessons, chicky: When you are wrong, apologize. When your behavior hurts another person either by ommission or commission, acknowledge the mess you made and vow to do better. That is the first duty of a Christian, NOT handing out Bible tracts.

Very, very appropriate! :lol:

ABXeIq5fTF8

I did not actually watch this whole thing, I gave up after "People ask me how I got to be so smart."

Is this second one actually the blogger?

I am firmly in the camp of "old enough to know better". I have 2 young children that know better than this....

Not to mention she believes she is old enough to be married--and is on the "I didn't choose singleness" train with some book she is promoting.

Either you are a kid, too young to be held responsible for your silly postings OR you are an adult, mature enough to be married and responsible for your statements and actions.

I kind of have issues that she is falling into the "OMG, I'm becoming a Spinster" line of thought at 19.

Blah blah blah 19. My youngest is nearly 19 and knows better than this.

Sadly she is taking these ideas and views of people who are not like her and will be using them to teach children and women in Africa this fall. Because the person who stays here and gets a job at Subway and doesn't beat people over the head with a Bible isn't following Christ. They aren't even making godly sandwiches.

They're going to call HER fat in Africa. Seriously, it's a cultural thing and a compliment, but my friends and I all got called fat repeatedly when working in Senegal, Cameroon, and the Congo.

I remember being 19. I thought I knew it all and had the right to tell people the truth because I knew it all. I thought the fact that my ID validated my adulthood also validated my opinion as "adult", which in consequence would have to be taken seriously. After all, I had official proof that I was an adult (see ID). I could vote, and marry, and technically buy a house, though I didn't even have a job at that point.

I also thought that I was supposed to start living the way adults do and that my decisions would determine my entire future. I thought I knew how to love, how to act and how to speak.

Almost 10 years later I'm sitting here, smiling. Because Laura reminds me of my opportunistic approach to adulthood, of my view that I was finally, officially validated as "person with an opinion which must be heard and is probably worth something". I have learned that at 19, I was nowhere close to being old enough to marry, or to make decisions on my own. I HAVE made my wrong decisions.

But I also learned that my decisions back then don't influence my life now much. So much can change if you really want to. I'm still not ready to be married, and I have learned a lot about love and yet have only scratched the surface. I'm proud of myself and how I developed since I was 19, and I can't wait to do some more developing and changing. I will never be who I am supposed to be because that would possibly bore me to death.

I used to be as spiteful as Laura, but not because I was stupid and young, but because I didn't feel comfortable with myself. I wanted to make people feel as terrible as I did.

Dear Laura, let me give you the most heartfelt piece of advise I can muster: No matter what you do, for how long, or how bad you want it: You wil never be ready. You will never be completely there. Please stop thinking about 'eternal' values for a moment and just rest in yourself and ask yourself a question: "If I saw myself within the last week, as a 3rd person viewer, what would I honestly think of the person I saw? Would I think her loving and strong, or would I think she's spiteful and mean?" I know you believe the bible tells you to endure "hate" and "persecution", but please remember that there are people who have genuinely bigger hate and persecution to suffer: Muslims, Women in other countries, Gay Americans to name a few. And YOU PERSONALLY are part of the persecutors of some of these groups. Reflect how your behavior changes the lives of others for better or worse.

On a final note, while Laura is not Heidi Klum, I want to add that Heidi Klum does not look like Heidi Klum without make up.

They're going to call HER fat in Africa. Seriously, it's a cultural thing and a compliment, but my friends and I all got called fat repeatedly when working in Senegal, Cameroon, and the Congo.

Hope she doesn't end up with a godly eating disorder. I am surprised they aren't more common among fundie teens.

Is this second one actually the blogger?

Yes, and now she has made it private. I wish I had listen to more of it, but it was before coffee and I wasn't in the mood to listen to her go on about how smart she is.

I remember being 19. I thought I knew it all and had the right to tell people the truth because I knew it all. I thought the fact that my ID validated my adulthood also validated my opinion as "adult", which in consequence would have to be taken seriously. After all, I had official proof that I was an adult (see ID). I could vote, and marry, and technically buy a house, though I didn't even have a job at that point.

I also thought that I was supposed to start living the way adults do and that my decisions would determine my entire future. I thought I knew how to love, how to act and how to speak.

Almost 10 years later I'm sitting here, smiling. Because Laura reminds me of my opportunistic approach to adulthood, of my view that I was finally, officially validated as "person with an opinion which must be heard and is probably worth something". I have learned that at 19, I was nowhere close to being old enough to marry, or to make decisions on my own. I HAVE made my wrong decisions.

But I also learned that my decisions back then don't influence my life now much. So much can change if you really want to. I'm still not ready to be married, and I have learned a lot about love and yet have only scratched the surface. I'm proud of myself and how I developed since I was 19, and I can't wait to do some more developing and changing. I will never be who I am supposed to be because that would possibly bore me to death.

I used to be as spiteful as Laura, but not because I was stupid and young, but because I didn't feel comfortable with myself. I wanted to make people feel as terrible as I did.

Dear Laura, let me give you the most heartfelt piece of advise I can muster: No matter what you do, for how long, or how bad you want it: You wil never be ready. You will never be completely there. Please stop thinking about 'eternal' values for a moment and just rest in yourself and ask yourself a question: "If I saw myself within the last week, as a 3rd person viewer, what would I honestly think of the person I saw? Would I think her loving and strong, or would I think she's spiteful and mean?" I know you believe the bible tells you to endure "hate" and "persecution", but please remember that there are people who have genuinely bigger hate and persecution to suffer: Muslims, Women in other countries, Gay Americans to name a few. And YOU PERSONALLY are part of the persecutors of some of these groups. Reflect how your behavior changes the lives of others for better or worse.

On a final note, while Laura is not Heidi Klum, I want to add that Heidi Klum does not look like Heidi Klum without make up.

I hope she reads the bolded and takes it to heart. In the great scheme of life, if this is the worst "persecution" she has to face, then she is going to have a pretty damn good life. This is not persecution for the sake of Christ or even persecution at all, this is her learning to be an adult. We all go through situations like this, but how we handle them shows what sort of person we are in the inside.

Quote: These women were all post-abortive mothers who have become pro-life advocates. Most of them had signs that had 'I Regret My Abortion' and on the back, they wrote their baby's name. Later, there were about 35 of them in front of the Supreme Courthouse. One held a sign that said: "I named my baby Rachel, she wants you to know abortion is a lie." Another had a sign that said "Abortion hurt me, but Jesus healed me." Two women from our local CPC were there, including the director. It surprised me, and brought tears to my eyes.

If there were two others there from SmallMindedVille, why didn't she get a ride with them??

And she's such a good influence on others, so CollegeMinus gave her a scholarship:

http://wcsummit.com/2012/04/meet-dustin ... -harriott/

And she's such a good influence on others, so CollegeMinus gave her a scholarship:

http://wcsummit.com/2012/04/meet-dustin ... -harriott/

So this young woman swears she's no longer fundie? I don't see it. She seems quite fundified to me.

I wonder why her mother, who she says tells her when she isn't being Christ-like, didn't call her out for that obese remark?

The ironic thing is that the very man she is picking on probably has more in common with her than most of the rest of the country. It's a fellow at a pro-life rally! He's likely an ally in her fight! If she treats her allies like that, imagine how she behaves around ppl who don't agree with her.

(Well, we don't have to imagine it - we saw it with her attitudes towards the Catholics. And interestingly enough, they are also allies in her fight but she chooses to judge them as well.)

I was silly and thought I knew it all when i was 19, too, but I am not letting myself off the hook so I won't let her off the hook either. And besides, I wasn't outright mean like she is acting. That's wrong no matter what your age. Even my non-Christian 9 year old knows it's mean to make a comment like that.

Here you go, honey, John Scalzi kindly wrote a post on how to apologize. You should read it.

[link=http://whatever.scalzi.com/2013/04/15/apologies-what-when-and-how/]Apologies: What, When and How[/link] (link not broken, Scalzi probably loves FJ.)

An apology is an admission that you’ve wronged others and that you are actually sorry for it. This is of course why it’s difficult for people to apologize. No one likes to admit they are wrong or that they screwed up. No one likes the complicated, defeated feelings that come with being wrong and screwing up. No one likes having to go to other people, publicly or privately, and admit to them they’ve been wrong and have screwed up. It is, literally, humiliating, since apologizing almost always requires humility and a willingness to put the needs of those you have wronged over your own. For ego-bound creatures, and we are all ego-bound, this is a hard thing to do.

You did go on about how sad you were, and how you were crying, and how you're a sinner, but I didn't see an apology anywhere in that, so I suggest you read Scalzi's post and learn something from it.

But the word ass is in the bible so it's ok. Mary rode one to Bethlehem.

I think that's myth. But there is a talking ass in Numbers 22:28- "And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?"

So this young woman swears she's no longer fundie? I don't see it. She seems quite fundified to me.

I wonder why her mother, who she says tells her when she isn't being Christ-like, didn't call her out for that obese remark?

What is with this girl and Muslims?

But I’ve also worked with friends to reach out to women in our area –especially Muslims.

From the Scholarship website:

3. Who are some of your biggest (non-Biblical) spiritual influences

My parents. They were the ones who taught me, “If you know about a need, do something about it.†That’s really begun to take root in me, especially in the past couple a months, as I’ve met people who’ve taught me to see people’s souls, not just their faces or faith. I realized one day, “Wow everyone else around me is a person, they have a soul, too!â€

I am confused. Before this realization, she thought that those "others", didn't have souls or were unworthy of being named "persons"?

I think that's myth. But there is a talking ass in Numbers 22:28- "And the LORD opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?"

So, you're saying God talks through his ass?

I can't get her blog to come up anymore. It just redirects me to another place, but she did have a post up about how she quit CollegePlus because she was too smart for it. Plus they only taught liberal, revisionist history, like having a question asking when the current First lady was born.

I noticed that it was really weird which comments she didn't remove. Like she removed one because she said it used the word bitch, but let through a bunch of others that used the word fuck. I wonder if the ones she deleted were talking about her being a member here and snarking on other Christians. And most of her replies were her saying "well you were mean to me so I don't need to address any of the horrible stuff I said."

Has she learned that athiest are people too yet? Or is that too much to ask for?

I can still see her blog fine, but I'm kind of bummed she didn't post my comment. It wasn't even mean. But then if she's posting some mean ones, it might be because she likes the drama, the persecution, and the consoling from fundie friends.

I can still see her blog fine, but I'm kind of bummed she didn't post my comment. It wasn't even mean. But then if she's posting some mean ones, it might be because she likes the drama, the persecution, and the consoling from fundie friends.

I think that she doesn't want her friends to see her being called out for mocking a person's body size. So she lets the really mean one's through so she can claim persecution and her friends won't know what this is really all about or how she isn't being very Christian.

http://echoesinthewind.wordpress.com/

One of her other/older blogs

echoing God's truth: making Him known and knowing Him

Hey there! Thanks for dropping by Echoes In The Wind! Take a look around and grab the RSS feed to stay updated. See you around!

This Blog is Going to Sit…

Filed under: Uncategorized — Leave a comment

2012/09/27

…and sit and sit. Because I’m starting a new blog. Instead of being devoted entirely to articles and inserting “awkward†personal life photos here and there, I’d like to start a blog that balances modest fashion blogging, reviews, devo articles, photography, personal life, and recipes.

Worldviews, politics, world news, rants, and arguments are something I enjoy immensely. I like reading about heroes and missionaries like John Birch :shock: and studying the effects of Hayek on a nation. I like to ramble about Islam and talk about loving Jesus instead of yourself. And my “Baptist and agree wholeheartedly†posts make me cringe. Yeah, time to move those to the closet.

But this blog was started to share “what I’m learningâ€. I learned all the good stuff. Go to church. Be modest. Learn how to cook. Be sweet, be joyful, be loving, be kind, be patient, be good. Most young women have learned this as well, and if you’re not applying what you know, shame on you. :naughty:

This new blog is going to be focused more on day-to-day living out what I’ve learned since starting Echoes in the Wind back in ’09. No, I still haven’t learned to mind my Anne-Shirley tongue James spoke of. But I’m not a 17 year old stay-at-home daughter fanatic who is a little know-it-all telling people what to do and think. I’m an adult now, still full of ideas but I’ve also gained something called understanding. I guess you could say what I’ve learned from this blog: I don’t know everything.

So, join me in my pursuit of living in the day to day instead of the hypothetical tomorrows and what if yesterdays.

A Single Heart

Archived