IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Can I just say that peanut butter is awesome? (Unless, of course, you are allergic. I don't want to revisit the PB Wars!)

Hot and sour soup; a blood orange for dessert.

I have half a meatloaf leftover from last night. I have to repurpose it into dinner tonight as I have an oil change at 5:30. ( gah- I'm having a Lori "lube-it-up-it -takes-ten-minutes" flashback)

Steamed artichokes; tomato and goat cheese pizza; everything and the kitchen sink cookies.

I've made the cookies once before (out of Ottolenghi's Jerusalem, natch), and the one tweak I'm making is to make them half the recommended size. They are rich enough that I never wanted more than half a cookie at a time with the previous batch, and the resident cookie monster in this apartment VERY HELPFULLY eats stray half cookies that have been set aside for later. :lol:

I feel like such an outcast because I hate, loathe and detest peanut butter, so much that when I was a kid it used to make me cry. Blech. I'm always to excited whenever I meet a fellow hater. And nuts. I hate nuts. Not too crazy about chocolate either. LET THE STONING BEGIN! :mrgreen:

Tonight's (peanut no butter free) dinner was tofu scramble with chopped veg, wilted spinach, and a tahini, tamari, Dijon mustard sauce.

No nuts or CHOCOLATE! :shock:

*shakes head while murmuring, "Love the sinner, hate the sin. Love the sinner, hate the sin...."

;)

I feel like such an outcast because I hate, loathe and detest peanut butter, so much that when I was a kid it used to make me cry. Blech. I'm always to excited whenever I meet a fellow hater. And nuts. I hate nuts. Not too crazy about chocolate either. LET THE STONING BEGIN! :mrgreen:

Tonight's (peanut no butter free) dinner was tofu scramble with chopped veg, wilted spinach, and a tahini, tamari, Dijon mustard sauce.

No stoning necessary. I will rescue you from the detestable peanut butter and chocolate-- send them to me! I didn't like nuts as a kid and have been slowly warming to them in adult life. Walnuts are the one kind I still actively dislike in most contexts, though there still aren't that many kinds of nut I'm enthused about on their own. (That short list is limited to almonds, peanuts, and cashews. Stir fry was my gateway for all of them.)

I don't anticipate ever understanding what people see in cream cheese, but it has quite a following.

Here's the link to the crockpot vegan hot and sour soup recipe I used:http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/kathys-slow-cooker-hot-and-sour-soup.html. I made it as written, with the exception of about doubling the shiitakes called for. Oh, and I wound up adding about another 3/4 cup of water.

Tonight's dinner was nothing fancy - whole wheat spaghetti with mushroom pasta sauce, grated Parmesan, and meatless meatballs.

I really like the site that recipe came from. I want to see if the library has a copy of the vegan crockpot book.

eta: They do!! I placed it on hold. Yay, I'm excited about dinner again.

Glad you'll have some vegan noms coming your way, Kailash. :)

Tonight's dinner was catch-as-catch-can for me. A piece of leftover cornbread, some mocha yogurt from Trader Joe's, and some stuffed grape leaves from Whole Foods. Oh, and a bourbon and coke. It wasn't a very healthy eating night for me.

Omelets with cheddar, green onion, and roasted peppers. Oranges and chocolate for dessert. And I'm drinking a nightcap of Mandarin Orange Spice tea right now, which is YUMMY.

We just put a mushroom and sundried tomato pizza in the oven, which we'll have with pea greens. (They have pink and lavender blossoms on them and are tender enough to eat as salad.

There's a pot of cardoon soup on the stove, but it's going to need about an hour more cooking time, followed by blending, followed by sieving; I'll probably have some of it later in the week and freeze the rest. (Have I rhapsodized about this stuff before? Basically, it smells and tastes like artichoke soup, but is somewhat less fiddly. Not entirely un-fiddly. But manageable.)

Last night was creole chicken and andouille stew. Tonight is buckwheat crepes with spinach, crispy prosciutto and brie. And a rustic bread that I just took out of the oven.

Last night was creole chicken and andouille stew. Tonight is buckwheat crepes with spinach, crispy prosciutto and brie. And a rustic bread that I just took out of the oven.

Sparkles, do you have a buckwheat crepe recipe you especially like? Ours stick ferociously (even to the non-stick pan!), so we've been limiting ourselves to sweet wheat crepes, though we prefer the nuttiness of buckwheat?

We are baking pasta with mustard greens and cress, soysage, bechamel, fontina, Parm. We'll probably have the last of the pea shoots with it; white wine for The Partner and tangerine juice for me.

Yesterday, we had home-made sushi (spicy tuna & salmon), plus miso soup and salad. Today it was pork roast, with applesauce and gratin dauphinoise. I was planning on serving the leftovers tomorrow, but then a friend reminded me that we'd rescheduled a dinner invitation for tomorrow. So, it'll be hors d'ouevres (fancy way of saying "bits of bread with either salmon, cold cuts and crab paté, plus garnish") and steak & ale pie. And a glass of my favourite ale for me, while cooking. :D

I made homemade pizza - sausage, wild mushroom and red onion on a white pie with a lot of fresh mozzarella.

So far I am not doing well on the "cooking even though it's just me this week" project-- I had cereal for dinner. (Even though there's good cardoon soup in the fridge. WTH?)

Steaming a couple of artichokes (with rosemary, garlic, and lemon in the water below). I'll have asparagus ravioli with them.

Tonight's makeshift dinner was some broccoli salad (the kind with a mayonnaise dressing, crumbled bacon, and raisins) and some sourdough toast.

Last night, I had a bowl of cardoon soup and some rye toast when I got home from class.

Tonight I am making rice and a broccoli-celery-tofu stir fry (i.e., stir fry of things The Partner does not like, so while he's away is a good opportunity to nom them).

Last night, I had a bowl of cardoon soup and some rye toast when I got home from class.

Tonight I am making rice and a broccoli-celery-tofu stir fry (i.e., stir fry of things The Partner does not like, so while he's away is a good opportunity to nom them).

For dinner for 1, I can't recommend grilled cheese enough. My favorites are cheddar and avocado and brie with apple. They really can be great adult food, I swear.

For dinner for 1, I can't recommend grilled cheese enough. My favorites are cheddar and avocado and brie with apple. They really can be great adult food, I swear.

Gosh yes 'toasted cheese as we say here is my go to food. My favourite at the moment is a smear of dijon before the cheese. I broil? Grill. A total fat fest is mixing the best blue cheese with mayo and grill. Roquefort heaven.

Tonight I olive oil fried pork shoulder steak in cracked pepper (not ground, it really does make a difference.) Kiddo made a green pepper salsa. Served with pita bread toasted and allioli.

I'm sure Aretejo will understand that hot med mess. Fusion my arse. Lazy Friday :lol:

Favorite current variation on grilled cheese: sliced apple, manchego, onion jam, bitter greens, mustard. Brown in toaster oven. My small child self would have been disgusted, as she scorned anything other than American cheese (from a block of slices as long as my forearm) on kleenex bread. Sometimes it is good to be a grown-up. :lol:

Tonight, I'll be enjoying a fried egg sandwich with mustard greens, pickled onion, and chopped almonds on wheat levain.

Archived