IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

I made stuffed artichokes yesterday, and had one with some pan seared chicken breast.

Today had another stuffed choke, avocado with salt and lime, an yogurt.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raining and miserable here since last night. Defrosted the last of the chicken broth, hunted a carrot, a parsnip, 2 potatoes and some spinach leaves out if the veggie bin, and added shredded chicken and mini gnocchi. So chicken, veggie and "dumpling" stew on the quick.

There's lots to do at our house this week and little time to cook. So supper tonight was a "five mushroom medley" frozen pizza and a Snickers ice cream bar. Chased by a cocktail with sweet tea vodka, good lemonade, and mint.

Roasting root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, beets, turnips, radishes), and cooking up some apple-sage soysage to go with them.

Thawing some leftover cardoon soup; I'll cook the rest of the field roast to go with it, then apricot clafouti for dessert.

Salad of cress, herbs, and pistachio with orange blossom dressing (out of Ottolenghi's Plenty).

Omelet with sikil pak, radish, onion, and cilantro.

Peaches halved, brushed with melted butter, sprinkled with salt, and put under the broiler until slightly caramelized on top.

^^^I really like watercress in salads, and on sandwiches too - but it seems like I can rarely find any that is decent at a decent price. I must remember to check at Trader Joe's for that more often.

Speaking of Trader Joe's, we had a very spring-y dinner tonight. TJ's arugula and parmesan ravioli, tossed with a little olive oil, fresh parmesan, and black pepper. Then we had the first small local strawberries of the season, macerated in a little sugar syrup and drizzled with thinned vanilla creme fraiche on top.

Yum yum yum!

We'll share the rest of the cress salad (which I quite like), followed by a tomato and goat cheese pizza. It's expected to be hot starting tomorrow and continuing all week, so wanted to get my oven use out of the way.

Went on a meze making bender today. Made hummus, Anatolian meatballs in red sauce (allspice, cinnamon, cloves), yellow fava, and shredded beet salad. Hopefully this spread will last through Wednesday and I won't have to turn on a stove till Thursday.

I had garlic toast and an arugula salad with radishes and blue cheese dressing. Dessert will be more strawberries with a piece of the lemon cake I made yesterday.

Hot weather ahoy!

I am making a Burmese-style salad with pickled ginger, bok choy, and all manner of crunchy bits (roasted soybeans, peanuts, fried garlic). Rice, baked tofu, and a sour-spicy plum chutney to accompany it.

Not looking forward to this heat. Chinese chicken salad is made for tonight.

Is that an avocado as opposed to tomato base(?)

Cucumber-based (plus herbs, bell pepper, spinach, bread, walnuts, and a bit of yogurt)--it's Ottolenghi's riff on tarator. And we've deferred it till tonight, since I forgot that TP had dance class last night.

Cucumber-based (plus herbs, bell pepper, spinach, bread, walnuts, and a bit of yogurt)--it's Ottolenghi's riff on tarator. And we've deferred it till tonight, since I forgot that TP had dance class last night.

I had to look up tarator. We have something similar that goes by "yaourtosoupa", yogurt soup. Excellent in dog day heat. Cucumbers through a food mill, add yogurt, scallions, dill, and cool for several hours.

Today I made shakshuka.

Fish tacos with red cabbage citrus slaw and homemade cilantro lime tortillas.

The green gazpacho is missing something, I think. Acidity, perhaps. I find acidity refreshing in hot weather. (The yogurt was more mellow than tart.)

Tonight we are going out for Creole food.

:happy-wavemulticolor:

I may be a little excited about this.

How was the Creole food outing, Rachel?

I have a really excellent recipe for a simple spinach salad with strawberries that I only bother to make in spring when the local fresh spinach and strawberries are available. I went to the farmers' market this morning and got both of the chief ingredients, much to my delight. So I made the salad for supper. It also involves fresh sliced mushrooms and a garlic/honey/dill dressing.

^^ The Creole food was tasty, and the restaurant was pleasant and unpretentious. I had a mushroom dish with a lot of tomato, peppers, thickened and enriched with roux.

^ Frying falafel-- :worship: . I am so fond of it, but I always hurt myself while deep-frying.

Tonight, I'm having tomato and goat cheese pizza before meditation class.

Last night, we had avocado halves stuffed with a salad of peas, radish, and cucumber with a sesame/ginger/miso vinaigrette.

Tonight, ravioli filled with dried tomato and wild mushrooms. Salad greens.

Jerk-grilled salmon and rapini. I reckon some actual food is in order today over last night's meal of jellybeans and dark chocolate peanut butter cups. :mrgreen:

Archived