IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

I seem to have gotten The Partner's cold, and swallowing food does not sound fun. Nonetheless, we have to eat. I'm making an approximation of penne arrabiata and a green salad.

Feel better RachelB! Since you are cooking regardless, time to bust out the soup recipes.

Lentil soup here, today.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you! The Partner is picking up Burmese takeout tonight-- chickpea tofu, samusas, a big and varied salad, a green bean dish, and a vegetarian spicy noodle dish. I am glad that someone else has the patience to chop shallots and ginger this evening, as I do not.

Oh man! I wish I lived somewhere where there was Burmese takeout.

All we had tonight was wild rice soup from a mix. Plus toast, yogurt, and some clementines.

Hope you're feeling better, Rachel.

Spaghetti bolognese. Tried a new recipe and the best I can say is "meh." Unfortunately it made enough for six and it's going to end up in the trash. A lot of work for very little ROI. Can't win em all, I guess.

Hope you're feeling better, Rachel. I feel your pain

Thank you-- my throat is still sore, but I can breathe and smell things. The Partner and I are trying to scorch it out with fire (i.e., South Indian food).

Went to the old homestead to view the St. Patrick's Day parade with friends. Had an early dinner made by one of the friend's mother: Corned beef, cabbage, and mashed potatoes. We each got a mini Irish soda bread to take home. It was a good day. :D

Tradition for St. Urho's Day* requires kala mojakka. However, The Partner's sister (visiting) and I are both vegetarian.

I am being a very bad former Minnesotan and am making a roasted eggplant and sundried tomato pizza instead. At least the eggplant and I are both wearing purple.

*Honestly, I didn't know St. Urho's Day was made up until college. My third grandma (the babysitter who took care of my brother and me when our parents had to travel for work), who was Finnish-American, was so earnest about celebrating it that it never occurred to me that it was invented in the 1950s.

The Partner is at a meet-up. I am steaming a couple of small artichokes and will have them alongside some linguini with lemon, olive oil, pepper flakes, and Parm.

Rye crust pizza with caramelized leeks and sweet onions, goat cheese and pancetta.

We're going to grill tonight. Burgers for MrDrPusey (from my Dad's beef). Grilled smoked cheddar and poblano quesadillas for me - it will be a new recipe.

Black Bean Chilaquiles with Avocado & Queso Fresco. Quick, easy and really, really good.

Last night, sundal, because we had cooked chickpeas in the freezer and I could not arse myself to do much more than defrosting. (Not sneezing as much now, but I could easily sleep 11 hours a night right now.)

Heat a little (non-toasted) sesame oil or neutral oil. Add brown mustard seeds, unsweetened dried coconut, salt, asafoetida. (You could probably use minced garlic and/or onion if you don't have asafoetida and want the sulfur compounds it adds, but you'd need to add them before the seeds.) Once the mustard seeds are popping, add cooked chickpeas and stir to coat. Add a chopped chile pepper and mango powder (the recipe calls for fresh green mango, but we never have any on hand; I've also seen tart green apple recommended as a sub for green mango) and stir. Deglaze the pan with the juice of a lemon. Eat with rice.

It takes less time to make than to type the recipe.

Last night, sundal, because we had cooked chickpeas in the freezer and I could not arse myself to do much more than defrosting. (Not sneezing as much now, but I could easily sleep 11 hours a night right now.)

Heat a little (non-toasted) sesame oil or neutral oil. Add brown mustard seeds, unsweetened dried coconut, salt, asafoetida. (You could probably use minced garlic and/or onion if you don't have asafoetida and want the sulfur compounds it adds, but you'd need to add them before the seeds.) Once the mustard seeds are popping, add cooked chickpeas and stir to coat. Add a chopped chile pepper and mango powder (the recipe calls for fresh green mango, but we never have any on hand; I've also seen tart green apple recommended as a sub for green mango) and stir. Deglaze the pan with the juice of a lemon. Eat with rice.

It takes less time to make than to type the recipe.

Oooh, that sounds awesome. Def on the menu for this weekend. Just replenished my asofoetida and amchur powder too.

^ Yay!

The Partner is stir-frying some pea shoots with coconut and turmeric to go along with the rice and sambar I've made.

After a little hiking, we went out to the Irish pub for dinner. I had a half pint of Magner's cider on draft; MrDrPusey had a pint. We had garlic and herb mushrooms to start, then a salad for him and leek and potato soup for me. I had the ploughman's platter with some lovely Irish soda bread and cheeses (and pickle); he had "Dublin Smokies," which was a seafood and cheese casserole.

Tonight I'm making Kasha hrechana zi shkvarkamy (buckwheat cereal with pork rinds and onion), Pampushki (like a dinner roll tossed with minced garlic, fresh herbs, and oil) and Borshch (Ukrainian beet soup).

It's a lot of work, but so great to be able to eat like I'm back home! :)

Thanks to Rachel B, I made sundal (my own mash-up after looking at a few recipes online) and it was superb. Definitely going into regular rotation.

Archived