IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

Random Leftovers: spinach and artichoke dip, soy garlic glazed chicken drumstick, and half a serving of beef with broccoli over rice- possibly ice cream for dessert/bedtime snack

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made lazy fish tacos last night: frozen fish, flour tortillas, shredded cabbage with spicy ranch and mango peach salsa. A little cheese and a bottle of beer and it was delicious!

Attempting to make Sesame prawn toast. Not really into deep frying anything so attempting to do them in the oven. Yikes.

Beef and broccoli noodle stir fry. Chinese theme tonight.

I bought groceries today, but in typical fashion, I always end up eating the convenience foods first. So I had a frozen mac and cheese thing.

My mom is visiting, so we went to a restaurant she enjoys. She had a kale salad with root vegetables and a burger with fries. The Partner had vegan charcuterie (! including a carrot thingie that tasted astoundingly of barbecue) and a vegan riff on pappardelle bolognese. I had rutabaga soup with a ribbon of smoky, maple-y sauce in it, then a dish centered on brassicas (broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage hearts, with a kicky sofrito).

I'm very glad I got the broccoli dish, because I encouraged The Partner, a confirmed broccoli-hater, to try a bite, and he said, with an amazed look on his face, "See if you can get them to tell you what they did with it to make it not suck." The secret is blanching and shocking it, then broiling it (to char it slightly).

Tonight I'm planning a whole roast chicken with lemon-garlic seasoning, mashed potatoes, roasted/steamed veggies (haven't decided) and paczkis (a Polish pastry traditionally eaten right before Ash Wednesday) for dessert since they had a bunch of them at the bakery when I stopped in yesterday. :D

I read the corn bread thread and *curses* we're having chili and cheesy cornbread. Cholesterol and fat be damned!

*offers high five to Laura Oz*

I was planning to make rice with the vegetarian jambalaya we're making tonight, but when I saw cheesy cornbread on my way home, I picked up three pieces.

No king cake, but I'm contemplating hiding an almond or a very large bean in the jambalaya to the same end (then warning everyone to look for it).

Bibimbap. Rice, veggies, mushrooms and egg (couldn't be asked to buy meat) with Korean chilli paste, sesame oil and soy sauce. It's my go-to, when I'm all out of ideas, and it's yummy.

In restaurants I always asked for my bibimbap to be made without the gochujang and the ajummas looked at me like I had three heads. :lol:

In restaurants I always asked for my bibimbap to be made without the gochujang and the ajummas looked at me like I had three heads. :lol:

You defied the ajummas? :shock: You're a braver woman than I am!

I'm having my Subway staple- roasted chicken on wheat with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with a tiny bit of mayo...toasted. Also have a bag of plain baked Lays. I've never had any other sandwich from Subway and have only ever changed up the bread a few times. I tend to have a "go to" meal like that at every restaurant.

*offers high five to Laura Oz*

I was planning to make rice with the vegetarian jambalaya we're making tonight, but when I saw cheesy cornbread on my way home, I picked up three pieces.

No king cake, but I'm contemplating hiding an almond or a very large bean in the jambalaya to the same end (then warning everyone to look for it).

*shaking hand cause it stings dammit. hit like a girl, please :D *

That's really cool about the king cake-like-jambalaya . I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras, but haven't found my way to what I'm sure is my spiritual home yet. I make my South Carolina imitation of what I think jambalaya is with chicken, sausage, and big-ass shrimp, plus rice and beans in a super spicy sauce. Now I know what I'm making tomorrow for dinner! Why do I look at the food threads? I can feel my arteries hardening :mrgreen:

Pork chops, browned and then cooked in the crock-pot with mustard bbq sauce; steamed asparagus and some type of potatoes/pasta/rice

You defied the ajummas? :shock: You're a braver woman than I am!

Well, I'm a full-fledged ajumma myself now, heh. Minus the colorful pants and the perm. ;)

For Valentine's dinner with the teenager, we had spinach salad with tabouli, feta and lamb.

For dessert we had flourless Nutella cake - which :o is amazing.

Later, without the teenager, we'll have some champagne.

For Valentine's dinner with the teenager, we had spinach salad with tabouli, feta and lamb.

For dessert we had flourless Nutella cake - which :o is amazing.

Later, without the teenager, we'll have some champagne.

Nutella :drool: Would you mind sharing the recipe? I have a truly unhealthy love for that stuff and Biscoff (it's a peanut-butter-like spread made out of the airline cookies and if you mix the two it's orgasmic).

Nutella :drool: Would you mind sharing the recipe? I have a truly unhealthy love for that stuff and Biscoff (it's a peanut-butter-like spread made out of the airline cookies and if you mix the two it's orgasmic).

The recipe is laughably easy. The only ingredients are Nutella and eggs. Seriously. That's it.

kirbiecravings.com/2012/03/2-ingredient-flourless-nutella-cake.html

I don't have a small enough springform pan, so I used parchment paper in a regular cake pan. It lifted right out when it was done. The parchment paper is essential, whichever pan you use. Once it cools, the paper peels right off.

We had my great-aunt's mother-in-law's Cabbage Casserole, still a family favorite. Layer 1: cooked cabbage; Layer 2: meatloaf; Layer 3: cooked rice; Layer 4: tomato sauce

Archived