IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We made sandwiches last night: manchego, caramelized onions, sauteed broccoli rabe dressed with vinaigrette, arugula, and toasted slivered almonds on wheat levain.

Tonight it's just me. I'm making a pasta dish with asparagus (which The Partner dislikes), soft goat cheese, and lemon.

I made something fun to share with friends tonight. Spaghetti rolls!

Take a bag of Rhodes rolls and let them all rise according to instructions. Meanwhile, cook about 1/2 a box of spaghetti and mix it with enough sauce to coat the noodles. Take the dough balls and stretch them out flat, about 5"x5". Put a slice of smoked sausage(I used kielbasa. I originally wanted to use italian sausage, but target only had kielbasa.) in the middle, then some spaghetti on top, and finally add some shredded mozzarella. Then close the sides of the dough over the filling. Bake the "rolls" at 350 degrees (F) for 15 minutes. Then eat, and glory in the starch.

Edited for extra Ofs.

My kids would probably love that dish. But what are Rhodes rolls? Are they frozen dinner rolls?

I made something fun to share with friends tonight. Spaghetti rolls!

Take a bag of Rhodes rolls and let them all rise according to instructions. Meanwhile, cook about 1/2 a box of spaghetti and mix it with enough sauce to coat the noodles. Take the dough balls and stretch them out flat, about 5"x5". Put a slice of smoked sausage(I used kielbasa. I originally wanted to use italian sausage, but target only had kielbasa.) in the middle, then some spaghetti on top, and finally add some shredded mozzarella. Then close the sides of the dough over the filling. Bake the "rolls" at 350 degrees (F) for 15 minutes. Then eat, and glory in the starch.

Edited for extra Ofs.

I was intrigued so googled and found this; it looks so yummy!: http://www.rhodesbread.com/blog/blog/br ... etti-bread

My bread never looks so nice lol. I'd prefer your idea of adding kielbasa. Wish I could still eat stuff like this!

I will be making waffles, and then chocolate waffles for dessert. Because we eat healthy 'round these parts.

Generally we don't double up like that. If dinner includes syrup, you don't need a dessert. But the chocolate waffles are really good, and we haven't had them for at least a year, and this way Mr Atheist only has to clean the waffle iron once. And we'll put fresh strawberries on top, which completely negates the all the calories. :?

I will be making waffles, and then chocolate waffles for dessert. Because we eat healthy 'round these parts.

Generally we don't double up like that. If dinner includes syrup, you don't need a dessert. But the chocolate waffles are really good, and we haven't had them for at least a year, and this way Mr Atheist only has to clean the waffle iron once. And we'll put fresh strawberries on top, which completely negates the all the calories. :?

Strawberries! OM NOM NOM. That is exciting.

I am making a cheese omelet, probably with the leftover manchego, and having an artichoke with it. (Does anyone else like artichokes steamed? I read about this last spring, and it is awesome, because you can put flavoring agents in the steaming water which then transmit their flavor to the artichoke. I am using lemon peel, rosemary, and garlic.)

Guinness stew (without the Guinness because it was a church dinner and we're Methodists so no alcohol allowed, even if it cooks out :roll: ), salad and rolls.

Tonight (in a few minutes) it's lemon rice, chicken breast and green beans (from the steamer bags). Keeping it simple.

I was intrigued so googled and found this; it looks so yummy!: http://www.rhodesbread.com/blog/blog/br ... etti-bread

My bread never looks so nice lol. I'd prefer your idea of adding kielbasa. Wish I could still eat stuff like this!

Oooooh, mine never come out pretty. But they do come out delicious. I should have taken a pic of the rolls, mine came out looking rather tortured. My BF made nice, neat square ones. Mine looked cancerous. :lol:

Cranky Cat Lady, Rhode's is a brand of frozen dough. You get it in the freezer section and let it rise before you bake it for fresh, semi-home made bread.

Thanks. I don't think we have that brand here, but there are plenty of other brands. I'm definitely going to try this for my girls. They LOVE pasta. I may leave out the sausage part, since neither of them really like it.

Is it only my kids who change their minds about what foods they like from one day to the next?

Tonight is good old meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Mr Atheist is far more into it than I am, but he just donated blood, so he gets to choose.

I'm making bangers and mash again tonight :) I did it last night as well. I might go get a brisket tomorrow for St Patrick's Day.

That sounds yummy!

It was!

Tonight we made a thin-brothed soup using shallot, edamame, sorrel, and pea greens. We pureed part of it to add a little body (when we try it again, we'll make it with a shelling bean that purees a little more smoothly-- fava? lima?) and had it with rice.

For dessert, we tried making a spiced, steamed coconut pudding. It was plenty tasty-- The Partner was very excited that it basically tasted like spiced caramel-- but the texture was broken. I think the water bath got too hot.

Last night, we had tomato pizza.

Tonight, I'm thinking stir-fried greens, Lhasa-style (stir-fried, then briefly simmered in a broth spiked with Sichuan pepper), with baked tofu and rice. (I'm trying to gather enough "extra" rice to make fried rice tomorrow.)

Mr Atheist is away on business, and I thought High School Atheist was going to be otherwise occupied, so I was just going to scrounge around and see what I found. HS Atheist's plans have changed, though, and now I have to feed him too. This will require a little thought and perhaps a trip to the store.

Left over corned beef and cabbage from St. Paddy's Day.

Archived