IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today: pasta, sausage, broccoli, and salad

Tomorrow: thyme lime chicken, plantains, spinach

Wednesday: black beans with mango and orange juice, sweet potato and pepper hash

Thursday: potato pancakes, mmmm!

Friday and Saturday are leftovers or I eat out (Sri Lankan food, yum), and I don't know about next week.

Beer can chicken, Brussels sprouts, roasted potatoes and carrots with mock banana cream pie :banana-dance:

Beer can chicken, Brussels sprouts, roasted potatoes and carrots with mock banana cream pie :banana-dance:

What is beer can chicken?

Beer can chicken is moist and delicious...and you don't have to use beer! Dr. Pepper or your favorite soda work just as well.

You roast or bbq/grill a whole chicken with a half full (not full or ka-blammo) can of beverage in the cavity. There are little stands you can buy that prop the chicken upright and the can in the middle so it won't tip over.

This is our go-to method for cooking whole chickens!

The Partner is coming home early tonight for Valentine's Day observed (wherein we cook something festive, then eat it). We'll be having saffron tagliatelle with spiced butter, green salad, and a cherry apricot compote.

Last night I made an easy dinner: teriyaki chicken, teriyaki rice a roni and an "Asian" salad from a kit. Extra men-children showed up and not one bite is left.

The Partner is coming home early tonight for Valentine's Day observed (wherein we cook something festive, then eat it). We'll be having saffron tagliatelle with spiced butter, green salad, and a cherry apricot compote.

We made this in the class I took the other night at Sur la Table, from Yotam Ottolenghi's "Plenty." Awesomeness.

Tonight's dinner isn't in the same realm but it will be just as satisfying. I went through the cupboard the other day and found about a bazillion bags with teeny amounts of leftover egg noodles that put together could feed an army. So I'm going with one of my favorite comfort foods from when I was a kid. Meatballs in brown gravy over egg noodles. Not exactly gourmet but I will bask in the homeyness and let happy kid memories wash over me.

Last night was Hashbrown Casserole. It's a recipe I got when I was in a "mom's" group - my first real introduction to fundies and submission....gah!

I add ham and make it a meal. Kids love it. So fattening though!

garlic-lime-cilantro Tilapia.

and I'm trying a new recipe for sour cream cookies. the dough is in the fridge right now

Baked butternut squash w/some dried cherries, a couple of apples, avocado oil and a tiny bit of cinnamon & brown sugar. Yum. Everything else was simple - grilled chicken, salad and wild rice.

We made this in the class I took the other night at Sur la Table, from Yotam Ottolenghi's "Plenty." Awesomeness.

Tonight's dinner isn't in the same realm but it will be just as satisfying. I went through the cupboard the other day and found about a bazillion bags with teeny amounts of leftover egg noodles that put together could feed an army. So I'm going with one of my favorite comfort foods from when I was a kid. Meatballs in brown gravy over egg noodles. Not exactly gourmet but I will bask in the homeyness and let happy kid memories wash over me.

It's a beautiful cookbook, isn't it? We've been slowly meandering through it. We often cut back a bit on the butter, though. (When I was making the spicy tofu in the onion chapter and saw that it called for 11 Tbsp. of butter, I assumed it was a misprint.)

We're making cardoon soup out of Vegetables A to Z tonight, which we'll have with bread and cheese. When it's done, it tastes and smells pretty much like a pureed artichoke soup, but with much less effort.

Dinner out at the nice Italian restaurant in town: minestrone soup, house salad, 4 cheese ravioli with meat sauce and lots of garlic bread swimming in butter.

Cauliflower fricassee in a spiced tomato sauce, with a cilantro raita, some pea shoots, rice, and poppadums. The Partner is having a little bhel puri (puffed rice, nuts, onions, and potato, with chutneys) because he needs to be less hungry before he can help chopping vegetables. (I have had days like that, too.)

Cauliflower fricassee in a spiced tomato sauce, with a cilantro raita, some pea shoots, rice, and poppadums. The Partner is having a little bhel puri (puffed rice, nuts, onions, and potato, with chutneys) because he needs to be less hungry before he can help chopping vegetables. (I have had days like that, too.)

I want your dinner instead of what I made. I'm always tempted by Indian quick-simmer sauces and they always turn out to be disappointing. This one was fairly tomatoey with no flavor nuance. I simmered some paneer, peas, and sauteed mushrooms and onions in it. Basmati rice on the side.

I have no clue what to make. I took out two whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts but I have no idea what to do with them. There are days, not many, but there they are, that I really hate cooking, especially for super-picky kids.

I have no clue what to make. I took out two whole skinless, boneless chicken breasts but I have no idea what to do with them. There are days, not many, but there they are, that I really hate cooking, especially for super-picky kids.

Looking out my window I think it's a soup/stew night. I recommend chicken noodle soup or white chicken chili. (Hope one of those works for the super-picky kids!)

Archived