IGNORED

New York is Awesome and Anti-Choicers are Delusional

Anxious Girl

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the NYC 'burbs (Long Island) and maybe it's that I've been willfully blind or it just doesn't exist in any kind of noticeable concentration, but I can't really recall a lot of fundie activity 'round these parts (although I was shocked to discover that there's a megachurch not too far from me) and certainly precious little intervention in the public schools. I applaud the NYC schools for being realistic and providing the necessary support for kids who need it. I hope it catches on.

Most of the comments about this measure are not merely antiquated but primordial.

Pay no attention to the azzhats behind the internet curtain. In the NY Metropolitan Area, abstinence only education is considered laughable. We got bananna/condom demonstrations and I went to school back in the Stone Age. Our teacher even told us where the PP clinic was in our area, though granted that probably fell outside her mandate. I would throw down our pregnancy rate next to an abstinence only or no sex ed district from the same year and have no doubt we out performed.

I was in junior high/high school in the late 60s/early 70s and we had no-holds-barred sex eduction, including discussion about contraception, abortion, masturbation and so on. My daughter was an AIDS peer educator for all 4 years of high school (president in her senior year and of the Gay-Straight Alliance as well). I have fond memories of picking her up at school after an AIDS peer ed meeting and having her yell across the parking lot, "Hey mom! I got to be the penis today!" And you know what fundies? THAT'S what makes ME a proud mom.

I agree with AreteJo. Abstinence only in NY would be laughable.

ETA my health/sex ed teacher in senior year was a guy. A gay guy. A big burly rugby playing gay guy. He wasn't officially "out" but he certainly didn't hide it from his students. Amazingly, no one went on a shooting rampage or broke out in hives or suddenly "decided" to turn gay or anything. Imagine that. The rugby thing was far more of a talking point than his gayness. Rugby on Long Island, FFS.

Way to go NY. Wish most of the south would take note and go to a more comprehensive approach to sex ed than dont do it.

We are talking about minors here that can't vote and possibly can't drive. I know we are on the same page on Fundies but I would be very peeved if I found out my child was given medicine without my consent. Even at 16 you are still a child and should be discouraged from sex until you are a bit more responsible . I heard my 12 yr old neighbor was pregnant by an older teen and they aborted. Let's not give radicals more fuel for the fire

We are talking about minors here that can't vote and possibly can't drive. I know we are on the same page on Fundies but I would be very peeved if I found out my child was given medicine without my consent. Even at 16 you are still a child and should be discouraged from sex until you are a bit more responsible . I heard my 12 yr old neighbor was pregnant by an older teen and they aborted. Let's not give radicals more fuel for the fire

Not all teenagers feel comfortable - or even safe - speaking to their parents about a pregnancy. Not all parents would accept the news with understanding and compassion or allow them to have an abortion. And while some may be too young to have sex, the fact of the matter is that it's going to happen. Often by choice. Sometimes, unfortunately in this world, by force or coercion. I think offering free Plan B is pragmatic. It can help someone to avoid heavier costs along the road. Not giving the radicals more fuel for the fire is not a good enough reason

Sure, discourage sex. I definitely think teenagers should be told to put the brakes on. But teenagers are unpredictable beasts, sort of like rabid sausage dogs. Why shouldn't they have access to medication that stops them from being saddled with a child before they're old enough to vote?

And if they're really not responsible and have sex anyway, then what?

Look, the program is opt-out. If you don't want your kid being given emergency contraceptive, write to the school and tell them your children are not eligible for this program. End of problem.

I don't understand that attitude at all. Wouldn't you rather they secretly were smart enough to get emergency contraceptives than not? They might not be comfortable telling you, would you be more peeved if they got medicine or got pregnant hmm? They are children but it is still their lives.

I think discouraging is fine and keeping communication open so they tell you is fine and all those things should be encouraged and they will probably work in functional families BUT there needs to be options anyway, because the alternative isn't worth it.

I consider myself extremely lucky that my relationship with my daughter allowed her to feel comfortable and trust me enough to come to me with any problem, knowing she has my full support, if not my approval. Unfortunately, that's often not the case in other families. I'd hate to think that other kids would be forced into a potentially life-altering situation because they lacked parental consent that would permit them to get the help they needed. I don't think what New York is doing contravenes parents' authority; it just puts the needs of the kids first and that's often more important, especially when it does no harm.

I wish upstate was as liberal and forward thinking as downstate. But I'm still proud of this, even if the part of the state I happen to love and choose to live in is hopelessly red......or red violet......on a good day. :roll:

ETA I understand Roddma's point of view, and on paper sure it's great, but we have to deal in reality because it's a very real situation. The reality is that some kids do not have great or even good relationships with their parents. Not only are these kids most susceptible to experiment sexually, because they are looking for love and approval, but they are also the very same ones who have nowhere to go when they wind up pregnant.

This is great. I think that having options and information can only be a positive. I had an incredibly open and honest relationship with my parents growing up, especially my mother. However, when I started having sex I didn't choose to go to her (which I feel like I certainly could have done and that I would have gotten a healthy/rational and quasi sexpositive response). Instead, I spoke with friends and had access to a Planned Parenthood.

I only wanted to point out that even when a very close and trusting relationship exists between parents and children, they might choose not to go to their parents. Other outlets are a good thing. I am incredibly grateful and feel lucky to have had friends that I trusted and (even more so) that Planned Parenthood was available for affordable care. Looking back, I wish I had talked to my Mom at the time (I did about 6 months later and we still have a very open and honest dialogue about sexual health...I am now 29), but my teenage brain chose not to do that for reasons that I don't really understand/remember.

Having an extra-parental source of information/support is essential. No matter how close the relationship is, teenagers are often irrational and might not want to go to their parents.

I only wanted to point out that even when a very close and trusting relationship exists between parents and children, they might choose not to go to their parents. Other outlets are a good thing.

Very good point. This was me, too. I didn't tell my mother until I had a pregnancy scare. Despite our relatively open, positive relationship I just couldn't seem to get the words out of my mouth.

It's weird, isn't it, llv? Pro-lifers cry for personhood rights, but when the government gives their kids rights to medication and preventatives, they're all like, "Nuh-uh!" :snooty: How come if pro-lifers are so pro-life, they won't let kids use their rights? :think:

I think this is a good thing, because some teenagers are too afraid to go to their parents about things like this, or dont feel comfortable discussing sex with their parents, or have a bad relationship with their parents, but still deserve to have access to protection and options if they do have an unwanted pregnancy.

I dont think parents should be allowed to opt out of this, and they shouldnt be allowed to with sex ed either, if kids dont have the options, it isnt going to stop them from having sex, it just increases the risks of them getting pregnant or a disease from it cause they dont know how to do it properly.

So I am assuming the parents might not even know their daughter took the morning after pill? I wonder what happens when some girl is given the morning after pill at school and then has an adverse reaction later at home and the parents wouldn't even know that this was a reaction to the pill.

While I agree that a lot of teens may not be comfortable talking to their parents about such things, how does a parent provide the right healthcare for their child in the case of a bad reaction that could be a medical emergency? The parent wouldn't even be able to tell the doctor what medications the child has taken. This might be a rare occurrence, but I'd hate to be the parent whose child dies from a rare reaction to a pill they didn't even know their kid took.

So I am assuming the parents might not even know their daughter took the morning after pill? I wonder what happens when some girl is given the morning after pill at school and then has an adverse reaction later at home and the parents wouldn't even know that this was a reaction to the pill.

While I agree that a lot of teens may not be comfortable talking to their parents about such things, how does a parent provide the right healthcare for their child in the case of a bad reaction that could be a medical emergency? The parent wouldn't even be able to tell the doctor what medications the child has taken. This might be a rare occurrence, but I'd hate to be the parent whose child dies from a rare reaction to a pill they didn't even know their kid took.

It doesn't matter what you think, Jigglypuff. It's their choice and right, not yours (sp?). :roll:

Parents can opt of the program with a simple form.

From the article:

Parents learned of the program through a letter that gave them a chance to opt out, which 1 percent to 2 percent of parents did, she said.

“We’ve had no negative reaction to the CATCH program,†Kaplan said. “We haven’t had one objection. We’ve just had the opt-outs.â€

If you read the article, it clearly states that parents were notified and could opt out if they do not want the option available to their daughter. They have been informed. If they do not opt out then they are aware their daughter can take the medication.

She Who Laughs, I thought we were a bunch of mangy feminist harpies who hate people who disagree with us? emmidahl, is it just me, or do fundies have problems with reading comprehension? :think:

Isn't that true of any medication given out at school? Parents aren't usually aware of tylenol (far riskier than EC) taken during the day by a student. If a kid was to have an adverse reaction later, they would be in the same boat.

Any parent who would assume they know all medications their teenage child is taking is being naive.

Given the extremely low risk of adverse reactions from EC, I don't think this should be prohibitive.

Archived