IGNORED

New York is Awesome and Anti-Choicers are Delusional

Anxious Girl

Not to defend someone who has such disdain for everyone else, but I'm pretty sure SWL mean 6-7 months after receiving the letter, not after taking the pill.

I think that's what she meant too...but still...that exact same argument can be made for any kind of drug the school can dispense to a student with permission. So it's obvious she has a problem with the particular drug, not the policy. They ask permission once, and then permission is given. The reaction she's speaking of is extremely unlikely, and couldn't the parent who knows they gave permission ask the school? Still a major logic fail. Also if you don't think a teen could take any kind of drug their parents don't know about if they really wanted to, without permission, then you're naive. Guess no amount of parental permission would be good enough for her.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try not to name call, but you are a dumbass. Adverse effects 6-7 months later? Please at least have somewhat of a working knowledge about what you're talking about. I don't know much about the half-life of drugs, but I can assure you that a combination of bc pills won't give anyone a serious illness 6-7 months later.

You're the dumbass... I meant that if 6 or 7 months later the kids takes the pill and her parents aren't aware of it or perhaps she even lies about having taken it. I didn't say that she would take the pill and then 6-7 months later have the reaction.

I would definitely be in the 1-2% that would opt out. Schools shouldn't be in the healthcare business, those types of decisions should be between physician and patient, not school and student.

Not to defend someone who has such disdain for everyone else, but I'm pretty sure SWL mean 6-7 months after receiving the letter, not after taking the pill.

Ah, color me embarassed.

Not all teenagers feel comfortable - or even safe - speaking to their parents about a pregnancy. Not all parents would accept the news with understanding and compassion or allow them to have an abortion. And while some may be too young to have sex, the fact of the matter is that it's going to happen. Often by choice. Sometimes, unfortunately in this world, by force or coercion. I think offering free Plan B is pragmatic. It can help someone to avoid heavier costs along the road. Not giving the radicals more fuel for the fire is not a good enough reason

Exactly! For some girls parental notifications laws re: abortion and meds like Plan-B can ruin their life and push them to suicide. No joke...

And here I was, thinking that comprehensive sex-ed in US public high-schools being the norm since G-W Bush got out of office...Abstinence-only sex-ed is the best way to have sexually confused people in the long run.

What are these morons so affraid of ?

I must live in what fundies consider Sodom and Gommorah...I graduated high-school in 1991 and remember getting the morning-after pill from the h-school nurse (without any parental notification, at 14 yrs-old you're entitled to medical confidentiality here) 2 or 3 times when I felt more like napping than studying algebra (you had to lay down at the nursing station for an hour or so 'cuz the pill made you nauseous). It wasn't called "Plan-B" though.

Devious, I know...But hey, I was a brat during my teen years and said brat wanted to nap at the time. And that was in 1989! I can't believe fundie make that much noise about Plan-B in f-ing 2012!!

You're the dumbass... I meant that if 6 or 7 months later the kids takes the pill and her parents aren't aware of it or perhaps she even lies about having taken it. I didn't say that she would take the pill and then 6-7 months later have the reaction.

Tell me again how you're just like Jesus? :think:

I would definitely be in the 1-2% that would opt out. Schools shouldn't be in the healthcare business, those types of decisions should be between physician and patient, not school and student.

And? Your point? You would opt out. OK....thanks for sharing. Luckily, people like you aren't in control of everything and you still have the choice to opt out. If fundies were in charge there would not be any opting out of anything. Ever.

And you can call Sprocket a dumbass, I'm sure you just about pissed yourself when you saw someone had made a mistake you could pounce on. :roll: And she did call you one first, although in all fairness I had been thinking of doing it as well. But the point still remains, you posted on an assumption, which implies that you didn't even read the article first. That was a colossal "dumbass" move right there. And then there is the fact that you continually come here to stir shit and create drama to keep yourself entertained and feeling superior. So I'll see your dumbass and raise you a troll.

And? Your point? You would opt out. OK....thanks for sharing. Luckily, people like you aren't in control of everything and you still have the choice to opt out. If fundies were in charge there would not be any opting out of anything. Ever.

And you can call Sprocket a dumbass, I'm sure you just about pissed yourself when you saw someone had made a mistake you could pounce on. :roll: And she did call you one first, although in all fairness I had been thinking of doing it as well. But the point still remains, you posted on an assumption, which implies that you didn't even read the article first. That was a colossal "dumbass" move right there. And then there is the fact that you continually come here to stir shit and create drama to keep yourself entertained and feeling superior. So I'll see your dumbass and raise you a troll.

MBoB & MBoH unite!

Tell me again how you're just like Jesus? :think:

Well, Jesus was all "FUCK YOU!!" to anyone who disagreed with him and he didn't like. He also totally went around and trolled just to stir up drama.

Well, Jesus was all "FUCK YOU!!" to anyone who disagreed with him and he didn't like. He also totally went around and trolled just to stir up drama.

Well the work server is down. I'm sure it's a sign from Jesus that I should come back here to hang out.

And when will you people remember he also like to moon people and play air guitar? Sheesh, learn your Bible already!

I'm probably going to hell because I'm giggling to myself thinking that Jesus went all RHWoNJ and was flipping tables screaming, "prostitution whore!" and "fuck you!"

Well, judging from his followers(who are supposed to be like him) that come here, Jesus would totally fit in with the cast of RHWoNJ.

It's dispensed by healthcare professionals, specifically a doctor and a nurse.

And if your daughter needs plan B and you didn't authorize her school to give it to her, she'll either ask you for help, or have someone older than her purchase plan B for her and take it without you ever knowing. Do you know for sure she'll turn to you? Because the alternative is less safe* than just letting her school give it to her.

*Ok, it's not actually less safe, but you seem to think it is.

What's scary are a big chunk of the comments under that article.

Are so many people that anti-choice? or do anti-choicers spend more time commenting on news stories

Bunch of dumb-dumbs. It's not the abortion pill, but the "morning after" pill, aka "not an abortion-inducing" pill, contrary to what Lori Grimes in the TV version of "The Walking Dead" seemed to think.

Are so many people that anti-choice? or do anti-choicers spend more time commenting on news stories

Bunch of dumb-dumbs. It's not the abortion pill, but the "morning after" pill, aka "not an abortion-inducing" pill, contrary to what Lori Grimes in the TV version of "The Walking Dead" seemed to think.

But....but... but life begins at conception!!!!eleventy!!!!

Omg, the last thing Lori needs is another kid. She can't keep up with the one she has.

There's something about comment sections that attracts all all the stupid.

I don't really know how I feel about this. I'm quite conflicted.

On one hand, I think it is awesome. Women getting access to what essentially becomes a health care need. I think knowing this exists will help a lot of teenagers.

On the other hand... I don't feel comfortable with it being dispersed in schools without notifying me. I know I could opt out, but I wouldn't WANT to, as I feel my child would need safe access to that, but I would want to know so I could help figure out how to create a better safe sex environment in our home. I would want notification so I could figure out how this happened... was she raped? pressured to not use condoms? taken advantage of in any way? was it just her being a sexually active teenager? Those are the questions I feel wouldn't be asked by the school nurse. Perhaps I'm wrong... but yeah. I would want to make sure we had the conversation about it after the fact (not to shame her) and we worked on a reasonable approach to make sure she doesn't find herself in this type of situation again.

Those are my feelings.. but I am glad that people are getting access to everything they need to make informed decisions for their own health care.

On one hand, I think it is awesome. Women getting access to what essentially becomes a health care need. I think knowing this exists will help a lot of teenagers.

On the other hand... I don't feel comfortable with it being dispersed in schools without notifying me. I know I could opt out, but I wouldn't WANT to, as I feel my child would need safe access to that, but I would want to know so I could help figure out how to create a better safe sex environment in our home. I would want notification so I could figure out how this happened... was she raped? pressured to not use condoms? taken advantage of in any way? was it just her being a sexually active teenager? Those are the questions I feel wouldn't be asked by the school nurse. Perhaps I'm wrong... but yeah. I would want to make sure we had the conversation about it after the fact (not to shame her) and we worked on a reasonable approach to make sure she doesn't find herself in this type of situation again.

Those are my feelings.. but I am glad that people are getting access to everything they need to make informed decisions for their own health care.

I think if you raised your daughter in such a way where she'd want to come to you and have that conversation, and would feel comfortable and safe doing so, then she would. But if they were to notify every parent...some parents it's not safe for their children to go to them, and that's just how it is. And if your daughter didn't want to answer any of those questions for you, there would be nothing you could do about it. The school having to notify you wouldn't make a difference, because even if you asked those question, there's nothing that would make your daughter answer, and if she didn't come to you of her own free will without the school having to intervene, that's a much bigger problem. IMO the only thing you can do if you want that conversation to happen is to if you were to have a daughter, raise her in such a way where she feels safe and comfortable coming to you about sexual matters.

Damn, I go to college for an hour, and Jigglypuff wants to fuck people again. :lol: Every time she says "Fuck you" when she has no comeback and /or can't point out people's spelling errors, take a drink (non-alcholic drinks are available, too!). I will see if my grandmother left any home-made limencello in the freezer...

I just did some RW research on this topic with the DD. Her HS had a school based health clinic. She told me that they did medical follow ups with girls who received the pill, and referrals to the guidance counselor/school psych. When the program was put in place girls got a 60 minute rundown of how the program worked and details on the follow up contact that included contraceptive resources. This was all before the culture wars ensured that the clinic doors were eventually shuttered.

I don't get what the big deal is if parents can choose to opt out... Is it because that some people feel that they have little power over others, so when something like this comes up, they can use morality to cover up their want of power over other people's lives? Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself. She Who Laughs, if you don't want schools giving out medications and prevantives, don't let your granchildren go to school. If you don't want your taxes paid toward governmental health care, then don't pay taxes. Then see what happens.

If the government allowed privatization of everything (saftey: cops, firemen, road repair, etc.) I bet you wouldn't want that, Jigglypuff.

If the government allowed privatization of everything (saftey: cops, firemen, road repair, etc.) I bet you wouldn't want that, Jigglypuff.

I've missed something with the jigglypuff. :cry:

That makes you one of the good parents. The ones who won't kick their kid out for being sexually active. Unfortunately schools have no way of knowing which parents want notification because they care and which parents want notification so they can get their kid in trouble.

I think that, as a teen, if I had been pressured to not use a condom, I'd want to talk about it with certain people. Those people may or may not have included my dad (talking to my mom was generally out of the question). If I hadn't wanted to talk to my dad about it, I would not have wanted him finding out. My take on it is, if she chooses to tell you, that's her choice, and if she chooses not to, it shouldn't be forced on her. You could be the most open, accepting, sex-positive parent and she might not want to tell you. Or she might not want to tell you yet. Being able to tell people when you're ready seems like a far less traumatic way to process a sexual assault or otherwise coerced sexual experience. Just my 2 cents.

Archived