IGNORED

New York is Awesome and Anti-Choicers are Delusional

Anxious Girl

I realize the parents are made aware with a letter. But if 6 or 7 months later and their daughter suddenly becomes ill, how many parents are going to automatically remember that it could be a reaction to the morning after pill that they were told about 6 or 7 months earlier?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She Who Laughs, I thought we were a bunch of mangy feminist harpies who hate people who disagree with us? emmidahl, is it just me, or do fundies have problems with reading comprehension? :think:

I know you directed this to Emmie, but FFS these asshats should learn to read for comprehension.

She Who Laughs, I thought we were a bunch of mangy feminist harpies who hate people who disagree with us? emmidahl, is it just me, or do fundies have problems with reading comprehension? :think:

Ssssshhhhh, don't tell them about the clique. We have already had one reference to the band of merry bitches, we have to keep it on the DL :twisted:

Isn't that true of any medication given out at school? Parents aren't usually aware of tylenol (far riskier than EC) taken during the day by a student. If a kid was to have an adverse reaction later, they would be in the same boat.

Any parent who would assume they know all medications their teenage child is taking is being naive.

Given the extremely low risk of adverse reactions from EC, I don't think this should be prohibitive.

I don't know what the current school policies on handing out medications since my kids are grown and on their own and it's been a lot of years. But when they were still in school, the schools could not give them ANY type of medication without the parents written permission. The kids could even get in trouble if they brought their own tylenol in their purse or pocket and then took it while on school property. Everything, from Tylenol to inhalers had to be kept in the nurse's office and the only way the kid could take the drug was if the school had a signed permission slip on file and then the kid went to the nurse's office to take the drug under supervision.

If schools are currently allowed to hand out Tylenol and other meds without parental permission, then things have changed a lot since when my kids were in school.

Got to love the Christ like love and patience shining through SWL posts.

When did I ever say I was "filled with Christ's love and patience?" I show disdain openly to people who deserve it, much like Jesus showed disdain for the pharisees.

I realize the parents are made aware with a letter. But if 6 or 7 months later and their daughter suddenly becomes ill, how many parents are going to automatically remember that it could be a reaction to the morning after pill that they were told about 6 or 7 months earlier?

If a teenage child is having a reaction (as far as I know the risk of the type of reaction you are describing from EC is basically zero), any parent who would assume that they know all medications their teenage child is/has been taking is being incredibly naive.

That's an amazing program! I've never heard of contraceptives being made so accessible to teens, and I live in Canada. When I was in high school, you either had to ask the gym teacher for condoms or walk halfway across town to the health unit. Not surprisingly, condoms were not widely used by my classmates. You could ask your doctor for birth control at your yearly checkup, from which your parents were barred past a certain age, but you had to wait until your yearly checkup if you couldn't make a doctor's appointment without your parents asking why.

I wish that parents did not have the choice to opt out of this for their teenage children. "My body, my choice." Not -- "My body, my parent's choice."

This. Teenagers don't have access to many adult privileges for a good reason, but they have the right to basic bodily autonomy and privacy. Not always fun for parents, but for every kid out there who feels safe being open with their parents about their medical history and sex life, there's another who will go behind their backs. And if they can't go behind their backs safely, chances are they'll do something risky. The various systems that are designed to force teenagers into abstinence by limiting their alternatives to a) exposing their sex lives to their parents or b) risking their health...those systems make certain teens choose abstinence, but they fail a staggering amount of the time. Shouting "wait until marriage!" and maybe, if they're lucky, giving them the skills to say no confidently (which proper sex ed does, thank you very much) doesn't make those systems fail any less. These systems include abstinence only sex ed, parental notification laws for abortion, and anything that lets parents put legal blocks between their kids and contraceptives.

I don't know what the current school policies on handing out medications since my kids are grown and on their own and it's been a lot of years. But when they were still in school, the schools could not give them ANY type of medication without the parents written permission. The kids could even get in trouble if they brought their own tylenol in their purse or pocket and then took it while on school property. Everything, from Tylenol to inhalers had to be kept in the nurse's office and the only way the kid could take the drug was if the school had a signed permission slip on file and then the kid went to the nurse's office to take the drug under supervision.

If schools are currently allowed to hand out Tylenol and other meds without parental permission, then things have changed a lot since when my kids were in school.

Schools do have to have parental permission to dispense any kind of medication, unless things have changed in the four years since my daughter graduated and I don't think they have (we had to document everything my daughter was prescribed with the school nurse, including Tylenol, antibiotics and her epipen). However by choosing NOT to opt out of the program, it would seem that parents are well aware that medications may be dispensed and are giving their permission to do so, should the need arise. No further explanations or permissions needed.

Is this really what bothers you about the article? Or are you just trying to chip away at whatever detail you think is most valid because you don't want to say what your real issue is with it?

Also, by this point, I would think you would read an article before attempting to post on it. Have you read the article?

When did I ever say I was "filled with Christ's love and patience?" I show disdain openly to people who deserve it, much like Jesus showed disdain for the pharisees.

Ooooh I see, you're a troll. How quaint.

We aren't pharisees. We would be the whores and lepers that the pharisees avoided and Jesus showed kindness and understanding towards.

And as a Christian aren't you supposed to be trying to have the fruits of the spirit and all that?

Anyway, it seems like by not opting out you are then giving permission.

So I am assuming the parents might not even know their daughter took the morning after pill? I wonder what happens when some girl is given the morning after pill at school and then has an adverse reaction later at home and the parents wouldn't even know that this was a reaction to the pill.

While I agree that a lot of teens may not be comfortable talking to their parents about such things, how does a parent provide the right healthcare for their child in the case of a bad reaction that could be a medical emergency? The parent wouldn't even be able to tell the doctor what medications the child has taken. This might be a rare occurrence, but I'd hate to be the parent whose child dies from a rare reaction to a pill they didn't even know their kid took.

Please educate yourself as to what Plan B actually is. It's not like an antibiotic that one could have an allergic reaction from. It's the same hormones that are in birth control. About the worst thing that could happen is that one would start their period early as to shed the lining of the uterus so that an egg (if fertilized) would not be able to implant.

Are there side effects?

There are few side effects of emergency contraception in pill form. The progestin/estrogen combination is the likeliest to cause some degree of nausea, dizziness, breast tenderness, headache, or fatigue. These typically do not last more than a day, and can be eased with medications like Dramamine for nausea. There may also be some menstrual effects, such as unexpected bleeding or an irregular next period. Intrauterine devices can cause cramping and heavy bleeding during a woman's period.

Schools do have to have parental permission to dispense any kind of medication, unless things have changed in the four years since my daughter graduated and I don't think they have (we had to document everything my daughter was prescribed with the school nurse, including Tylenol, antibiotics and her epipen).

It's been a while since I was in school (and I did not go to a public school if that makes a difference). I'm pretty sure that if I went to the nurse with a headache they were allowed to give me tylenol and I don't know of my parents ever giving them "permission" to do so. Am I remembering incorrectly? Did they likely have to sign something to allow any OTC medication? I'm just curious now since it's been a while since I was in high school and I don't have kids.

It's been a while since I was in school (and I did not go to a public school if that makes a difference). I'm pretty sure that if I went to the nurse with a headache they were allowed to give me tylenol and I don't know of my parents ever giving them "permission" to do so. Am I remembering incorrectly? Did they likely have to sign something to allow any OTC medication? I'm just curious now since it's been a while since I was in high school and I don't have kids.

We did have to sign written permission for every medication. During my daughter's junior year she had a reaction to an antibiotic that caused her to break out in severe hives at random times (that required trips to the ER on several occasions). She had an outbreak at school one day and I actually got a call from the nurse while I was on my way to work that I had forgotten to sign a permission slip for whatever she took to combat the hives so I had to turn around and go to the school before they'd give it to her (obviously, it wasn't an emergency and she did have permission for the epipen in case it was). But they would dispense nothing without written permission, not even Tylenol. There was a zero tolerance drug policy at school and this was part of it. Whether it's a district by district or a statewide thing, I don't know.

Got to love the Christ like love and patience shining through SWL posts.

I enjoy it when she drops her Jesus mask. There is something about the subtle crash of the clay shattering to tiny pieces.

"The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew what they were thinking and he flipped them off."

"The Pharisees and the teachers of the law were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal on the Sabbath. But Jesus knew what they were thinking and he flipped them off."

It's so refreshing to see someone who knows their Bible. I mean, granted, you left out the part where he mooned them and then played air guitar, but otherwise you were spot on. :mrgreen:

I try not to name call, but you are a dumbass. Adverse effects 6-7 months later? Please at least have somewhat of a working knowledge about what you're talking about. I don't know much about the half-life of drugs, but I can assure you that a combination of bc pills won't give anyone a serious illness 6-7 months later.

Well, I have to run. Unfortunately, I have a job, where as another only has bottomless rage, a constant craving for drama and too much time on her hands. I leave you with the following, and bid you good day. I know you are all plenty capable of entertaining the troll while I'm gone.

troll2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yup, Jesus went into the temple and flipped over the tables and said fuck you.... You're exactly like Jesus. :roll:

I try not to name call, but you are a dumbass. Adverse effects 6-7 months later? Please at least have somewhat of a working knowledge about what you're talking about. I don't know much about the half-life of drugs, but I can assure you that a combination of bc pills won't give anyone a serious illness 6-7 months later.

Science fail notwithstanding, couldn't this argument be made about any medication the school dispenses with permission? Or any medication ever because who the hell remembers everything they or their kid took in the past 6 months?

Science fail notwithstanding, couldn't this argument be made about any medication the school dispenses with permission? Or any medication ever because who the hell remembers everything they or their kid took in the past 6 months?

My what a logical point Minerva. Unfortunately the troll defies logic.

Not to defend someone who has such disdain for everyone else, but I'm pretty sure SWL mean 6-7 months after receiving the letter, not after taking the pill.

Archived