IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all!

Buzzard

The Duggars didn't pay a dime for that grill. It was a gift when TLC finished off and decorated the house.

Still, if some one gifted me a grill like that I would be using it.

Jim Bob has been shown on tv grilling hot dogs at their house on another grill. I wonder why.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finished watching the birthday ep on YouTube, haven't had the strength to attempt the other one yet. I agree with the many salient points that others have made, but my wtf was about the grill. They put it in when they built the house (how many years have they been there now?), and it's never been used? Who spends thousands of dollars to install a permanent outdoor kitchen/grill area and then never uses it? What's the effing point?

It was probably a freebie from TLC because of filming, just like everything else they do/buy on the show is free. Does anyone think they spent their own money on those boxes and boxes of cake mix and other supplies? Or on the tickets to the amusement park? Or on that new pair of shoes for the kid in a previous episode who forgot his own? For anyone wondering why they aren't being frugal, *that* is why--it's not coming out of their own pockets. (Which is not to say that they don't spend their own money extravagantly--in one episode I spotted an IQAir air filter and in other, a set of Polo bed sheets.)

What? Don't feel bad about a speeding ticket? Really? I don't think that's what I'd say to my child. Be more careful next time, might be better...

Jim Bob has been shown on tv grilling hot dogs at their house on another grill. I wonder why.

Wouldn't put it past him to want to keep it pristine so he could sell it at a later date. He would have had to wait until the show ended, though. Using it in the episode probably wasn't his idea, and he was probably secretly pissed about it.

The Duggars didn't pay a dime for that grill. It was a gift when TLC finished off and decorated the house.

Still, if some one gifted me a grill like that I would be using it.

I bet they don't use it because it's too far from the house. The sketchy one we've seen used a few times is portable charcoal (i think) grill they can drag right outside the door. Lazy asses.

Someone over at TWOP posted that the Roloffs' new wedding show is taking over the Duggars' time slot on November 13. I know there is an hour long episode on the 30th of October (no description). Don't know what is happening on the 6th, but it is election night so I can't imagine TLC showing anything new that night.

As far as the unused grill goes, they didn't buy it-TLC gave it to them when they finished the house. As to why they haven't used it, my guess is that Jim Bob is too cheap to buy meat. Have we ever seen those kids eating meat, other than ground turkey in TTC? I'm willing to bet that the younger kids have never had a steak in their lives.

This is exactly the reason. The only time I recall Boob "grilling" was when he scorched up some hot dogs the night the kids sweltered in a tent on the lawn.

And people wonder why Josh is obsessed with food.

I'm shocked Anna used the phrase "high-concept" correctly because it's so far outside the vocabulary of Gothardites (who think purpose is a verb, argh). I'm beginning to think she's a bit smart.

I'm shocked Anna used the phrase "high-concept" correctly because it's so far outside the vocabulary of Gothardites (who think purpose is a verb, argh). I'm beginning to think she's a bit smart.

That's assuming production didn't feed it to her. Nothing else she has said has struck me as particularly intelligent.

That's assuming production didn't feed it to her. Nothing else she has said has struck me as particularly intelligent.

Good point. I don't know. Her diction has improved, as has her general camera presence. I want to believe that she's exploiting her circumstances to her advantage and won't be just another dumb, party-line-spewing wife. Guess it's the optimist in me.

She didn't use it correctly, though.

http://www.scriptforsale.com/james.shtml (But what is a HIGH CONCEPT? Simply put, a high concept is an intriguing idea that can be stated in a few words and is easily understood by all.) (e.g. Snakes on a Plane)

On Amy's instagram it shows them decorating the 1 with fondant and they have fondant in front of them.

I'm thinking they might have actually made it. They showed the color cakes in the background, and I think that's what was used for the "smash cake" given to Mikey.

They showed Sierra taking off a layer of the main cake with gets it down to the proper height. We never saw a slice of the main cake, so we don't know.

Either they did a really elaborate set-up job, or they made it themselves.

On Amy's instagram it shows them decorating the 1 with fondant and they have fondant in front of them.

I'm thinking they might have actually made it. They showed the color cakes in the background, and I think that's what was used for the "smash cake" given to Mikey.

They showed Sierra taking off a layer of the main cake with gets it down to the proper height. We never saw a slice of the main cake, so we don't know.

Either they did a really elaborate set-up job, or they made it themselves.

I think they did it. but Sierra has skills.

I guess no one told Anna that you always make test runs before you try something. and I think it was obvious too that when Anna express doubts over the size of the cake (obviously too many layers), Amy said no no it's ok, Anna agreed more out of habit for having her opinion squashed than out of conviction IMO. too used to say yes.

Wouldn't put it past him to want to keep it pristine so he could sell it at a later date. He would have had to wait until the show ended, though. Using it in the episode probably wasn't his idea, and he was probably secretly pissed about it.

He would have done it by now if he could have. The thing is a built-in, so excavating it from the stonework would probably be more of an effort than the return he'd get selling the thing.

Why on earth didn't they build a back patio area when they first built the house and put the grill area there? The BB court could easily have been built off a patio. If my dad were still with us, he'd shudder at the crappy planning that went into the Tinker Toy House and he loved him some cathedral ceilings in houses that could support them in an addition. Heck, he added on a huge living room with a 15' cathedral ceiling and a sunken fireplace area with a...PATIO out back. Our climate doesn't require A/C 360 days of the year (today isn't one of those days...the fan is already going as we're headed to about 90) and rarely gets below freezing, so heating costs aren't really a concern (he also kept the original house a single-story). The Duggars live in a place with blistering heat that goes straight to those dorm rooms, and winters cold enough to snow and have severe ice storms. I can't imagine the gymnastics involved in their HVAC system; all we saw was the installation of the radiant heating under the first story floor and a wood burner to sustain the hot water for both the radiant heat and, lord help them, their showers.

Jill is young and attractive... and she still got a ticket? I never got a ticket until i was a bit older with a kid. I always just got 'warnings' from the nice policemen ;)

ETA omg just watched the episodes on youtube. Jchelle said she hadn't gotten any tickets until she married doofus-I mean Jim Bob. I bet she used to do like I did before marriage and kids, act like a dingbat and flirt with the cops and walk off scott-free with a warning ;) ;) ;)

Jill probably didn't want to defraud the police officer.

And Jchelle got married at 17. So Congrats! She drove for a whole year before getting a ticket. :clap:

Was that a tennis court behind their brand new 7 year old grill or was it the basketball court? I vaguely recall the boys playing basketball. I don't remember tennis courts.. I am surprised they don't have mad basketball skills!

I agree with the notion that JBlob was keeping the grill new so he could sell it later. ( combined with too lazy and they can't microwave on the grill) I don't buy the Jill speeding mid-wife story. It seemed staged, fake and scripted to project the image of her having some independence. I call BS. :roll:

I don't get the chicken in a biscuit at all. Aside from the dish looking like crap and not at all appetizing, rolling up individual servings of chicken in dough seems like a lot of work for 50+ poeple. A chicken casserole of some kind seems like it would have been easier for feeding a crowd. Just not chickenetti! That stuff looks foul as well.

Smash cakes apparently are a big thing now. When I was ordering my son's first B day cake the bakery even asked if I wanted them to make a smash cake for him. I said no, he can just have a piece of the cake we are serving everyone else. Several people at the party were suprised he didn't get his own cake.

if you order a 1/4 sheet cake from wal-mart for a baby's first birthday, they will give you a small smash cake for free. but there is a catch. my husband was surprised when he got a small cake that said "happy 1st bday joe" along with his big cake. yeah, they personalize it so you can't get away with fucking them over on a cake. a friend from church worked at wal-mart and did it as a joke. plus the little cake was german chocolate, not a favorite of many 1 year olds. my husband ate it anyway!

He would have done it by now if he could have. The thing is a built-in, so excavating it from the stonework would probably be more of an effort than the return he'd get selling the thing.

Why on earth didn't they build a back patio area when they first built the house and put the grill area there? The BB court could easily have been built off a patio. If my dad were still with us, he'd shudder at the crappy planning that went into the Tinker Toy House and he loved him some cathedral ceilings in houses that could support them in an addition. Heck, he added on a huge living room with a 15' cathedral ceiling and a sunken fireplace area with a...PATIO out back. Our climate doesn't require A/C 360 days of the year (today isn't one of those days...the fan is already going as we're headed to about 90) and rarely gets below freezing, so heating costs aren't really a concern (he also kept the original house a single-story). The Duggars live in a place with blistering heat that goes straight to those dorm rooms, and winters cold enough to snow and have severe ice storms. I can't imagine the gymnastics involved in their HVAC system; all we saw was the installation of the radiant heating under the first story floor and a wood burner to sustain the hot water for both the radiant heat and, lord help them, their showers.

it was tlc's dime that paid for it, not his. it was free. why not?

why haven't we seen it in any of the other shows when they grilled out?

I'm a professional pastry chef by trade. It was almost painful to watch the construction of that cake.

I grew up on cake mix and I'm not a cake snob, so I don't care that Anna used box mixes, but that first cake that they put together was a mess. The fact that they used canned icing was deplorable though. You cannot use that kind of icing under fondant. The weight would crush it. She also used premade fondant, which tastes disgusting.

I'm sure their "cake doctor" Sierra has a Wilton course or two under her belt. She did a good job leveling the monstrosity, but I don't think the window of time they claimed to have in order to finsih the cake was accurate. I can build and decorate a 4 tiered wedding cake in 2-3 hours, but that's after the layers have been filled, rested under refrigeration to settle for a minumum of 4 hours, then trimmed level. They presented like she arrived at the final hour and saved the day. Rectangular cakes are a bitch to cover in fondant, and who covered the blocks?

They wasted so much cake in the trimming, but I guess when you aren't paying for it, it's ok to throw food away. :roll: The way they were shoving the trimmings inside the cracks...ugh. I didn't see any one of those kids wash their hands first. They'll make a point to show that they scrub their soup cans clean, but not before they touched food that they intend to serve. Gross.

Just because you can buy a box of fondant doesn't mean you know how to use it. I get mad that this stuff is readily available. All these baking shows give people delusions of cake grandeur. It dumbs down my profession.

I half hoped that it would be Rebecca !!Eleventy!!!!! at the door to fix the cake!

Jill probably didn't want to defraud the police officer.

And Jchelle got married at 17. So Congrats! She drove for a whole year before getting a ticket. :clap:

This is exactly what I came here to say, but I wanted to read through the comments first to make sure no one else had pointed it out (I was behind on my Duggar watching). Seriously, though. Michelle was 17 years old when she got married. It is not surprising she got a ticket "after I married Daddy", because she was only 17! It it not at all related to being married or having places to get to. It's related to being a dumbass teenager behind the wheel.

The way she phrased it seemed totally contrived to me. She could have said "you are 4 years older than I was when I got my first ticket!" and actually made Jill feel better about it, but since they hold their marriage up as this weird time marker, even though they were both extremely young when they got married, it gives off a false impression of their maturity level at the time. Jill is probably 10x more mature than Michelle was when she got married, and actually, probably much more mature than Michelle was at the same age.

In about the only defense of Mullet you'll ever read from me, she WAS just a couple months shy of 18 when she got married. Presuming she went to the DMV as close to her 16th birthday as possible (totally normal), she'd been driving for almost 2 years.

More than only a year to get her illustrious first ticket. I wonder what Boob and Mullet's auto insurance premiums were after they got married, especially with a speeding ticket already on her record? Did his go down any because he now had a wife or was he still charged as if he was a (perfectly normal, if stupid) reckless teenage guy?

I watched the birthday episode and Anna is making a rainbow cake as a smash cake. I don't think they bought the cakes either (Johanna is handling fondant when the friend who saved the day comes in).

I can't believe a 10 yo would act like that O_o

Poor Michael, did not feel like eating cake and Anna putting cake in his mouth. I can't believe they bought cake mix (how much have they spent????) can't they make stuff from scratch? Is it forbidden in the Bible?

That kid was TEN?!?!??!?! :o

That kid was TEN?!?!??!?! :o

He turned 10 this year.

Here are the feral boys pushing away their guests and generally acting like wild animals over some ice cream, with bonus footage of Hannie eating ice cream that had landed on a floor which had probably been walked on by at least 50 people that day.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/19-kids ... -party.htm

It's also time for the Duggars to stop calling these kids "the little boys". Only Jackson qualifies as a "little boy" still. The next three are 10, 11, and 12. They are middle school aged tweens. Pre-adolescents in the real world.

He turned 10 this year.

Here are the feral boys pushing away their guests and generally acting like wild animals over some ice cream, with bonus footage of Hannie eating ice cream that had landed on a floor which had probably been walked on by at least 50 people that day.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/19-kids ... -party.htm

It's also time for the Duggars to stop calling these kids "the little boys". Only Jackson qualifies as a "little boy" still. The next three are 10, 11, and 12. They are middle school aged tweens. Pre-adolescents in the real world.

I think TLC is encouraging the kids to act much younger than their age. They also lack the parental guidance and in general healthy boundaries.

I think TLC is encouraging the kids to act much younger than their age. They also lack the parental guidance and in general healthy boundaries.

I think basically everything is conspiring against these kids acting in an age-appropriate way. The older Duggars are probably behind the curve in a lot of ways emotionally/intellectually, but at least they were raised (however badly) to behave mostly appropriately. The younger kids are barely being "raised" at all. Probably the only time they get attention is when TLC films them, and TLC loves filming them most of all when they're being childish and rowdy. That would mean childish and rowdy behaviour is reinforced, while behaving properly is pointless and possibly unfathomable. Feral is right. I really fear for them when they reach adulthood.

Archived