IGNORED

Season 6 of 19 Kids and Counting. God help us all!

Buzzard

I hate the whole smash cake thing also. Give them a piece of cake or a cupcake out on the patio if you think you have to do that.

My DD's first birthday was celebrated outside with only close family, her fairy Goddess Mothers and Grandparents and elder sister. She got a slice of cake in a plate, while she was in her high chair. It was messy and we didn't take a single photo of her with food smeared on her face.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it either, but if FB is any indication it's definitely a thing. If I wanted a pic of my kid with food smeared all over their face, I definitely wouldn't waste my time and/or money on some special cake. I'd just give them a piece of the regular cake and let them go at it.

It was a thing with my family. I didn't do it with my kids though and it was a big drama thing because I didn't. I've spent a year teaching them NOT to pick up messy things with their fingers, why in the hell would I encourage it?! They knew how to use flatware so I gave them a set and let them eat cake as civilized as they could manage. (i.e. they still made a huge mess, but that's what babies DO.)

Funny how the cake started off being chocolate and vanilla and ended up being multi-coloured. And all those decorations and perfect fondant icing (which doesn't come in a tub) in only half an hour? Yeah, right. That "cake doctor" is actually a witch!

Josh looked silly in that chef's hat.

Jill got a speeding ticket! But it is ok because she was rushing to a birth. And still got in some FU internetz remarks about getting married.

So Josie was not feeling well, and the minute she started to feel better Michelle put her in the car for a 2 hour ride to an amusement park? That's a MOTY move if I ever saw one.

Yeah, the cake swap was too obvious for words. I wonder how the leghumpers defended that one? GOD changed his cake into Joseph's dreamcoat? :roll:

Smug looked like an idiot in the chef's hat and Anna's laughter at the French accent was forced. Stick to the Freedom Fries, you ass.

Poor Jill, a cross and her favorite treats. ONCE A YEAR. And Mullet has to keep a list to remember who likes what. Side hugs abound.

I did catch that Jill said she met some of those people in Indy, which, IIRC, is where the Gothard midwife school is. So, she must have been there at one point in her "training." No other reason for her to be at "events" there. Other than Jana at the Indoctrination Camp, they've become very tightlipped about Gothard and activities tied to him.

Isn't there a character development program used in public schools? I think I may have done that during my time in the South.

Yes - it is fairly extensively used throughout the South. "Character Counts" and "Character First".

Jill's gift looked like something better suited for a 12 year ol, not a 21 year old. As someone who is deathly afraind of roller-coasters, Jim-Bob's ridiculous grinning when that poor girl was crying after she got off the coaster really pissed me off. I wish that whole family would get a clue that phobias are not funny.

And WTF is up with smash cakes? I just don't get it. Baking an entire cake so a toddler can destroy it just for a photo op?[/quot

It's fun - for the birthday child and all the grownups to watch the mess and then get great pics, as well! But I don't think Michael was into it at all...maybe to much birthday excitement!

Kkkkristina just did that with her twins. Come on, if you want them to eat cake make an individual cupcake. I guess the Bible does not say anything about wasting food... :doh:

Well, I don't recall it saying anything SPECIFICALLY about it, however, when Jesus fed the 5,000 out of 5 loaves of bread and 2 small fishes (and the "loaves" must've been smaller than ours, because this was supposed to be a lunch for one little boy.) There were... I forget the exact number, but there were leftovers.

And Jesus said, "throw them away!"

Or, actually, not. He said to gather the extra food up into baskets and give to the poor. From this we deduce that Jesus doesn't want us to waste food, or even anything that could possibly be useful.

I'm not sure the poor would WANT a ruined cake, but the principle we take from this story is: don't waste food.

Of course, the Duggars probably skipped right over this aspect of the story....

Slightly off-topic--

While on the commuter train last night, I calculated the gaps in ages between the Duggar kids. The biggest gap is 22 months (the difference between Josh's birthdate & the birthdate of the twins, JD and Jill), followed by a gap of 21 months many years later. Most of the gaps are much shorter-- 6 of the age gaps are 14 months or less (eek!)

Anyway, Grandbaby Michael turns 15 months old this weekend. If Anna gets pregnant this weekend, the baby will be approx. 24 months younger than Michael at birth. That's a bigger gap that any of Josh's siblings. Even if Anna is a few months pregnant & we don't know it, the age gap will still meet or beat Jim Bob & Michelle's baby age spreads. I hope, for the sake of the family, the planet, and as as example to Josh's siblings, Josh & Anna have quietly decided to not "fill the quiver" as fast they possibly can.

We never did the smash cake, but I have pictures of almost all my kids first birthday with them getting cake all over them. I guess we were cheapskates because we always just gave them a slice of cake and let the do what a 1 year old does when eating which is make a mess. My oldest daughter was a bit of an oddity at that age who hated to get messy, and ate her cake like she was a well mannered nobel lady at an afternoon tea party. I do however have a picture of my third daughter after she dumped a bowl of spaghetti over her head. I just thought it was cute to take pictures of some of the messes they made when they were really little.

We got a smash cake for my niece's first birthday, but she didn't get into it because she hated having her hands dirty, and she's still that way even though she's into Disney's Cars.

Slightly off-topic--

While on the commuter train last night, I calculated the gaps in ages between the Duggar kids. The biggest gap is 22 months (the difference between Josh's birthdate & the birthdate of the twins, JD and Jill), followed by a gap of 21 months many years later. Most of the gaps are much shorter-- 6 of the age gaps are 14 months or less (eek!)

Anyway, Grandbaby Michael turns 15 months old this weekend. If Anna gets pregnant this weekend, the baby will be approx. 24 months younger than Michael at birth. That's a bigger gap that any of Josh's siblings. Even if Anna is a few months pregnant & we don't know it, the age gap will still meet or beat Jim Bob & Michelle's baby age spreads. I hope, for the sake of the family, the planet, and as as example to Josh's siblings, Josh & Anna have quietly decided to not "fill the quiver" as fast they possibly can.

Yes, they seem set to have bigger gaps - some people think they are consciously or unconsciously abstaining to reduce their blessings, others think Anna just isn't as fertile as Michelle.

she peed on a stick everyday. what else was there for her to do?

Pretty much.

Yeah I don't understand that at all. I would have so much to do if I was a SAHW. I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do as it is. If I had a year off I'd probably vastly improve my cooking, become super-fit, and learn a langauge or two.

I think she shopped for unhealthy food, made unhealthy food, did the dishes, prayed a bit, hung out with her sisters-in-law, and watched TV with Josh. Maybe she had to go to the compound and look after the Howlers? Or help Josh?

Yes, they seem set to have bigger gaps - some people think they are consciously or unconsciously abstaining to reduce their blessings, others think Anna just isn't as fertile as Michelle.

Well, few are...

I'm actually less interested in Anna's gaps than Michelle's at the moment. (Thanks for tallying, HereticHick!) Much as I'm sure there's no chance of an Actual #20 at this point, every passing month is an official reassurance that it's less and less likely to happen and the chances of another baby being brought into the TTH hell dwindle to nothing. Even though I'm kind of ambivalent about the direct consequences of menopause on Michelle, now that we're seeing how glassy-eyed her kitten-pitcher-stuffing self is already. Her fertility's practically gone and the show's days are surely numbered—it's not a question of whether she flips out when she loses both, it's a question of how and how badly. I worry for those around her.

Also, I'm disappointed in Justin's grossness; he'd become a favorite of mine since he's one of the more neglected ones yet seems to retain a fundamental sweetness somehow. Then again, it's not like I can really blame him for being brought up semi-feral.

I don't think we know if many people are that fertile or not because there are only a handful of other women out there who don't use birth control at all ever. I realise it used to be more common 100 years ago, but they didn't have the same nutrition or medical care, so it's not a fair comparison.

I think there's no way there will be a number 20. I wonder when they'll drop the "and counting" from the show's title - I think that would be funnier than if they dropped the show completely.

It's possible that after a big gap they'll get lucky and bring one more into the world - most likely disabled, premie or both.

I just saw the cake episode. Wtf happened?! The original cake wasn't rainbow. I thought it was plausible to believe the cake doctor had fixed it up (looked like it had the same dimensions, and they did show Anna with fondant) until they cut it.

I can't believe they spent that much on cake mix and on a party. These people think they are brilliant but they are amazingly awful.

OMG just started watching episode 14. Why does the Alicia Gomez person just stand there grinning and looking gormless? Also, they've started cooking. "This is chicken in a biscuit," says Jill, "it has chicken, cheese, biscuit, cream sauce..." lol these people I don't even :doh:

Funny how the cake started off being chocolate and vanilla and ended up being multi-coloured. And all those decorations and perfect fondant icing (which doesn't come in a tub) in only half an hour? Yeah, right. That "cake doctor" is actually a witch!

But it looked like Joy was enjoying fixing the cake with the cake doctor. Did anyone catch how they knew her? When Joy turns 18, she should try to get a job with Sierra.

I don't think we know if many people are that fertile or not because there are only a handful of other women out there who don't use birth control at all ever. I realise it used to be more common 100 years ago, but they didn't have the same nutrition or medical care, so it's not a fair comparison.

I think there's no way there will be a number 20. I wonder when they'll drop the "and counting" from the show's title - I think that would be funnier than if they dropped the show completely.

It's possible that after a big gap they'll get lucky and bring one more into the world - most likely disabled, premie or both.

I just saw the cake episode. Wtf happened?! The original cake wasn't rainbow. I thought it was plausible to believe the cake doctor had fixed it up (looked like it had the same dimensions, and they did show Anna with fondant) until they cut it.

I can't believe they spent that much on cake mix and on a party. These people think they are brilliant but they are amazingly awful.

OMG just started watching episode 14. Why does the Alicia Gomez person just stand there grinning and looking gormless? Also, they've started cooking. "This is chicken in a biscuit," says Jill, "it has chicken, cheese, biscuit, cream sauce..." lol these people I don't even :doh:

Chicken in a biscuit yet another carb, calories and sodium loaded helping of WTF I kind of wonder if the J'slaves aren't trying to kill Jim Boob off with a massive coronary. I know if I were them I'd be looking for ways to shorten his lifespan while slipping J'chelle the pill in her heart attack in a biscuit.

Jill's gift looked like something better suited for a 12 year ol, not a 21 year old. As someone who is deathly afraind of roller-coasters, Jim-Bob's ridiculous grinning when that poor girl was crying after she got off the coaster really pissed me off. I wish that whole family would get a clue that phobias are not funny.

Wow they forced one woman on it and laughed and then laughed when someone else didn't like it...exactly right...it's not funny

I, too, think that they replaced the mess of a cake with a professionally done one, but also Michael's slice came from the "smash cake" on top.

Wow they forced one woman on it and laughed and then laughed when someone else didn't like it...exactly right...it's not funny

Especially since the poor woman DIED, y'all! Jim Bob said so- he said she was LITERALLY scared to death.

Lol. So I assume the woman he was with was his sister and not his wife?

Just noticed Jinger wearing a Rick Santorum t-shirt on the roller coaster. Sigh.

Jill is so smug about her birthday! Plenty of "young women" turning 21 celebrate with their parents :roll: in fact most of the 21sts I went to did have alcohol and dancing but they had family as well as friends present. But a private dinner/lunch with parents is common even if you have a party too, Jill. It's good she got some private time with the parents though even though I don't know how interested they really were.

Her parents were pretty relaxed about the speeding ticket. I suspect that's why she told them on camera - Boob didn't seem happy. 21 is pretty early to get your first speeding ticket. I've never had one at all. Funny how fundies are SO STRESSED out about wearing trousers or kissing but breaking the law is a-ok.

Sounds like she's allowed to go out and about to births on her own though, which is interesting.

Happy 100th page. Yay.

Anyway, does anyone know if the most recent episodes have been uploaded to youtube? I chose to watch the Presidential debates instead.

As for that J'boy licking the counter, gross!

So, Jill got a speeding ticket, and she was not treated special because she is a Duggar? Well, I think the whole "Jill getting a speeding ticket while driving on her own to a birth" was more a FU internetz moment, like J'Boob saying, "look, I trust my grown daughters to go out and do things on their own. They don't have to travel with accountability partners all the time."

Lol. So I assume the woman he was with was his sister and not his wife?

Just noticed Jinger wearing a Rick Santorum t-shirt on the roller coaster. Sigh.

Jill is so smug about her birthday! Plenty of "young women" turning 21 celebrate with their parents :roll: in fact most of the 21sts I went to did have alcohol and dancing but they had family as well as friends present. But a private dinner/lunch with parents is common even if you have a party too, Jill. It's good she got some private time with the parents though even though I don't know how interested they really were.

Her parents were pretty relaxed about the speeding ticket. I suspect that's why she told them on camera - Boob didn't seem happy. 21 is pretty early to get your first speeding ticket. I've never had one at all. Funny how fundies are SO STRESSED out about wearing trousers or kissing but breaking the law is a-ok.

Sounds like she's allowed to go out and about to births on her own though, which is interesting.

Hahahaha I was 18. My dad was more irritated that I was speeding through a known speed trap than he was at the ticket. :D

Chicken in a biscuit yet another carb, calories and sodium loaded helping of WTF I kind of wonder if the J'slaves aren't trying to kill Jim Boob off with a massive coronary. I know if I were them I'd be looking for ways to shorten his lifespan while slipping J'chelle the pill in her heart attack in a biscuit.

I don't get the chicken in a biscuit at all. Aside from the dish looking like crap and not at all appetizing, rolling up individual servings of chicken in dough seems like a lot of work for 50+ poeple. A chicken casserole of some kind seems like it would have been easier for feeding a crowd. Just not chickenetti! That stuff looks foul as well.

Smash cakes apparently are a big thing now. When I was ordering my son's first B day cake the bakery even asked if I wanted them to make a smash cake for him. I said no, he can just have a piece of the cake we are serving everyone else. Several people at the party were suprised he didn't get his own cake.

Archived