Sigh, poor dear doesn't seem quite all there. Although, I was tempted to comment on one of her posts. She had some pictures from the Franciscan Monastery in Washington, DC and made statements about how holy a place it was, yada-yada-yada. I almost asked her if she knew the place was full of queers? LOL I used to be a candidate at that monastery and lived there several months. Several of the friars were raging queens. LOL But I controlled myself, the poor girl would have had a stroke or something.

As for being a tertiary. I used to be one myself, only with the Franciscans instead of the Carmelites. Seems like she has some silly ideas about what it means to be a Third Order Member. For one thing, they are no longer called "tertiary's". Now the proper name is Secular Carmelite. Meaning they are not religious, but a lay person who is affiliated with the Order. It is a whole different vocation.

Going off topic: TeddyBear! How are you feeling? How's the new condo? Will we get pictures when the work is done? So glad to see you! :)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least this chick is honest! Most fundies won't come out and say "God loves me more!" but hey, she has no problem letting everyone one out there thatshe is God (and Mary's!) speshul snowflake and God loves her more!

When I was growing up women became secular Carmelites after widowhood, when children were grown, or 'spinsters' entered the order as seculars. As I said earlier I think she went to a novena and wears an Our Lady of Mount Carmel scapular as an excuse for their intentional poverty. Argh, and don't get me started about the Marian altar, I had to grow up with that crap.

TBS this woman can afford fencing lessons for herself but not food for her kids. That is what pisses me off. Goddess forbid she could work part time with a law firm perhaps doing research on a telecommute basis and actually assist in feeding her family.

TY to Chaotic regarding the CF issues.

That also pisses me off. She and her hubby are managing their money poorly. Out of the Catholic fundies we have discussed, I think Abigail is the worst one. Briana and the Catholic fundie whose husband is in law school both seem to budget their lifestyles wisely.

I really think she and her husband are the sort of people who believe that by constantly taking totally unnecessary risks (with their money, health, children, whatever) they are proving their faithfulness to God, and God will reward them accordingly. I just hope that when reality inevitably hits it isn't the kids who suffer.

I would like to go ahead and predict the mother of all "Woe is me, I'm being persecuted for the Mother Mary and Baby Jesus" post if this one ever catches wind of the fact that she has her very own thread at FJ.

I also have to throw in that when she said:

I know who I am!

A Beloved Daughter of Mary.

A Catholic mother of five who is sticking up for the Baby Jesus.

All I could think of was this:

Think that was what she was shooting for? :lol:

I would like to go ahead and predict the mother of all "Woe is me, I'm being persecuted for the Mother Mary and Baby Jesus" post if this one ever catches wind of the fact that she has her very own thread at FJ.

I think there is a small chance she might not find out about FJ. The Catholic fundie bloggers seem to either not know about FJ, because their blogging circles are a bit smaller.

. Several of the friars were raging queens. LOL But I controlled myself, the poor girl would have had a stroke or something.

As for being a tertiary. I used to be one myself, only with the Franciscans instead of the Carmelites. Seems like she has some silly ideas about what it means to be a Third Order Member. For one thing, they are no longer called "tertiary's". Now the proper name is Secular Carmelite. Meaning they are not religious, but a lay person who is affiliated with the Order. It is a whole different vocation.

First, no shit? Was there sex going on between the Friars or did they remain celibate?? Man, if you tell me they were boning I am going to laugh so hard. Thinking about all those holy relics and meditiation going on around a sex palace is hilarious.

Second- what is this Secular Carmelite you speak of? It sounds intriguing. I am going to have to google that.

I think she WANTS a chid with CF.

I think so too. I watched a classmate go through the end stages of CF, and I think Abigail will live to regret her choices. I think her beliefs make her ok with the idea of having a child who will die young (because not having a child is tantamount to killing them or something), but I think the suffering she will have to watch will change her mind. I could totally see her medically neglecting her kids as fundies do, and then rationalizing the effect this would have on her CFer(s). I could see her ending up all alone after her choices destroy her relationship with her non-CF children, and letting that increase her isolation from reality. But I think seeing her child suffer will make her think twice. At least I hope it would. Mostly I hope they all beat the odds and end up healthy.

And I've probably said this before, but I'm sorry, chaotic.

OH MY GOD....

THIS WOMAN IS OUT OF FOOD.

THIS is the deprevation I grew up with that compels me to keep insane levels of "spare" food so that I always know I will NEVER go hungry again because I can feed my family for 2 weeks out of the odd ball stuff I just store for emergencies (and to ward off my panic attack).

Those poor, poor babies! I know exactly what it feels like to be HUNGRY and to stare at empty fridges and pantries. Does this woman not have a Canadian equivalent to food stamps? WHY does she let her children open a fridge without a single morsel of food in it?????

Now THAT makes me sad for her kids. I grew up like that, and it is not fun at all. Well.. it wasn't like that ALL the time, but we did have times where there was nothing in the cabinets. We had to go to our grandmother's house to eat. I swear, I stockpile now because I'm so paranoid about running out of food!!

She cheerily talks of all the money they spent on a swim meet and buying a toy for a child who injured himself and thus reducing their food budget from over $100 to $30. There is no excuse for stupid.

Here's the empty pantry: http://abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2012 ... board.html

And she talks about having to throw everything out of the fridge when they lost power. Why didn't she cook the frozen pork chops and get a cooler with ice to save some of the condiments and such? She seems a bit on the foolish side.

So basically.. she doesn't know how to budget. Geez... when you are low income, you need to budget every friggin penny. Putting her kids in activities is GREAT, not so much when she can't afford it!! :(

My 10 year old son died of CF five weeks ago. I actually walked away from a friendship after he came home via adoption because the friend had markers for CF and her fifth child was extremely symptomatic but said friend was thrilled her toddler was so "tiny" and refused to EVER take her to the doctor, despite her foul poops and near constant respiratory infections. I flat-out told her the child needed tested and then had to assume the chances said child was a CFer was extremely high and keep my son away from them (CFers are supposed to never be closer than 4 feet from each other as they will share bacteria that they culture from their lungs between each other.)

No idea what she's talking about that she carries a severe mutation for CF and he carries a mild mutation for CF. I think what she means is that she carries one of the six most common mutations and he carries a lesser mutation. However, the presentation and life expectancy is NO DIFFERENT with that combination than a classic DDF508 such as my son, except DDs tend to have more severe GI issues than other mutation CFers. There are 1600 KNOWN mutation combinations for CF at this point. They are ALL deadly.

I despise people who so cavalier don't take precautions about having CF children. Life is torture as a CFer. Rare is the CF adult patient who thinks there's anything ethical about intentionally allowing a child with CF to enter this world.

I am so sorry. *hug* I just don't understand folks that don't take the health of their child and themselves seriously. I don't get it. Especially from a Christian standpoint, because of the viewpoint of a child being a blessing. KWIM?

But no... if I was a carrier or my husband... I would not have children. Much less BOTH? That is so beyond irresponsible.

Um, that sign would be a light-hearted way to get people to watch their children. I have seen variations of that sign in many businesses. One popular variation is that unattended children would be given a free kitten and a mountain dew. Obviously you don't get the joke that the court wouldn't actually give the child a puppy and a cup of coffee, it would just be a less rude and less in your face way to encourage parents to take care of their children.

Why don't the parents just beat their kids into submission, right SheWhoLaughs? Smack them around enough at home and they will always obey in public.

chaotic life, I am so sorry about your son. I'm sure he knew how much you loved him right until the end.

First, no shit? Was there sex going on between the Friars or did they remain celibate?? Man, if you tell me they were boning I am going to laugh so hard. Thinking about all those holy relics and meditiation going on around a sex palace is hilarious.

Second- what is this Secular Carmelite you speak of? It sounds intriguing. I am going to have to google that.

Yes, there were friars having sex with one another and with outsiders as well. It isn't that uncommon in religious communities. At at that time, and this was over 30 years ago, the friar who was in charge of all the secular Franciscans around the world would take his lover with him on visitations around the world. It was common knowledge they were a couple. I remember our community Halloween party....the younger friars all dressed up and many did drag. One brother did an incredible Marlene Dietrich. I have to confess, I went in drag too. I was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. LOL The old friars loved it and laughed their asses off.

Secular Carmelites: go here http://secularcarmelite.com/OCDS_Formation.html

My 10 year old son died of CF five weeks ago. I actually walked away from a friendship after he came home via adoption because the friend had markers for CF and her fifth child was extremely symptomatic but said friend was thrilled her toddler was so "tiny" and refused to EVER take her to the doctor, despite her foul poops and near constant respiratory infections. I flat-out told her the child needed tested and then had to assume the chances said child was a CFer was extremely high and keep my son away from them (CFers are supposed to never be closer than 4 feet from each other as they will share bacteria that they culture from their lungs between each other.)

No idea what she's talking about that she carries a severe mutation for CF and he carries a mild mutation for CF. I think what she means is that she carries one of the six most common mutations and he carries a lesser mutation. However, the presentation and life expectancy is NO DIFFERENT with that combination than a classic DDF508 such as my son, except DDs tend to have more severe GI issues than other mutation CFers. There are 1600 KNOWN mutation combinations for CF at this point. They are ALL deadly.

I despise people who so cavalier don't take precautions about having CF children. Life is torture as a CFer. Rare is the CF adult patient who thinks there's anything ethical about intentionally allowing a child with CF to enter this world.

My heart goes out to you, Chaotic Life :)

I am so sorry. *hug* I just don't understand folks that don't take the health of their child and themselves seriously. I don't get it. Especially from a Christian standpoint, because of the viewpoint of a child being a blessing. KWIM?

But no... if I was a carrier or my husband... I would not have children. Much less BOTH? That is so beyond irresponsible.

One of my nephews has a partial albinism. My sister and husband went and got genetic counseling and found out there was a one in four chance the next child could be fully albino. At that point, my BIL got a vasectomy. After two kids, they didn't want to take any chances.

That Jesus! He's a car salesman, an interior decorator and now a personal trainer? He's going to get burned out, just wait.

"Jesus sent me to fencing classes?" If anybody said that to me, I would think they were stoned.

Perhaps they refused testingt, it would fit into the "in God we trust"-thing as they see it, and if the parents refuse, the child can't be screened.

Even if they've all been tested and cleared (I've never seen her talk about them being tested, but who knows), she's still playing with fire. She already has five kids. If none of them have CF she's been very lucky. She's in her late thirties now so her childbearing days are winding down, but since she's not using birth control (and I suspect secretly wishing to get pregnant), she could easily have 2, 3, even 4 more. What is she going to do when she's got nine kids, no food in the cupboards, and even one of her children has CF?

This post of her's sums up her attitude to anyone who might be concerned for her children's health, I think. She's talking about an experience having an ultrasound for her last baby, in which she claims the tech 'yelled at' her over her 4th child's ultrasound and blamed her kids for being too disruptive and causing that tech to miss out on catching the 4th child's birth defect:

During our ride home I was channeling my buddies St. James and St. John of Zebedee. "Can't Jesus just burn up that whole building with fire from heaven?" I asked my husband only half in jest. "Our HMO has been so mean to me for four straight pregnancies now AND they do abortions there."

My dear, Carmelite husband looks at me and says seriously "Abby, they ARE going to all end up on Fire. It's called Hell. And it lasts forever. If you don't have Jesus, it's impossible to be nice to a pregnant woman. Impossible! That's where our prayers for God's mercy are supposed to come in."

(I'm telling you, if I end up in heaven after all my "hair trigger temper tantrums" it's going to be solely because I've got the cheat sheet to Jesus' heart itself in my spouse!)

So in the end, I'm working on forgiving everyone in advance of this sweet daughter's birth, because chances are that not a lot of doctors, nurses and ultra sound techs are going to be super excited about kid number five entering into the world.

But that's fine. Because her Daddy, me and Jesus are firmly in her fan club. Our love counts more!

She's insane, and her husband is either equally insane or enabling her for some reason.

Guest Anonymous
During our ride home I was channeling my buddies St. James and St. John of Zebedee. "Can't Jesus just burn up that whole building with fire from heaven?" I asked my husband only half in jest. "Our HMO has been so mean to me for four straight pregnancies now AND they do abortions there."

My dear, Carmelite husband looks at me and says seriously "Abby, they ARE going to all end up on Fire. It's called Hell. And it lasts forever. If you don't have Jesus, it's impossible to be nice to a pregnant woman. Impossible! That's where our prayers for God's mercy are supposed to come in."

(I'm telling you, if I end up in heaven after all my "hair trigger temper tantrums" it's going to be solely because I've got the cheat sheet to Jesus' heart itself in my spouse!)

So in the end, I'm working on forgiving everyone in advance of this sweet daughter's birth, because chances are that not a lot of doctors, nurses and ultra sound techs are going to be super excited about kid number five entering into the world.

But that's fine. Because her Daddy, me and Jesus are firmly in her fan club. Our love counts more!

This is properly delusional.

She's batshit crazy and I get the feeling that her husband is just saying enabling things to her to shut her up. From the posts I've read, which are presumably slanted to put her in the best possible light, I think that the rest of her congregation can't stand her. It seems she went into a sleepy congregation of retired folks and decided to embark on a bunch of "difficult" projects -- why? -- because she's "god's chosen one." Seriously. She posted about yelling "you can't steal my joy" to a fellow parishioner.

The sin of pride runs deep in this one.

This is properly delusional.

Wait, why can't you be nice to a pregnant woman if you don't have Jesus? I'm super confused. Also, why the fuck is she incapable of having well behaved kids? I don't hit my kids, but they know damn well when it's ok to play (it's ok to hop along side the grocery cart and "ribbit" every 3rd hop) and when it's not (Dr's offices, religious services, and when Mommy says so). If your kids can't behave and that is your thing, don't take them to your ultrasound. It's not just so you can find out the sex of the baby, it's to check for birth defects! Ugh! I hate stupid people!

Archived