Content Warning: Miscarriage, infertility and child death

abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/

Background: she's a Catholic fundie(ish?) blogger. She used to be an evil post-modern feminist who went to law school. She and her husband got married in the Catholic church and then I guess they kind of went off the deep end: no birth control, abortion is murder, I'm-better-than-you-because-I'm-Catholic sort of stuff. Aside from that, she has the biggest persecution complex I've ever seen. She has had some struggles - she lost a baby in a late miscarriage, one of her daughters had some serious complications, she's had something like five C-Sections - but she thinks all this makes her a martyr and specially chosen by God for suffering. I'm telling you, if someone sneezes near this lady she interprets it as spiritual warfare against her.

In one of her latest posts, she talks about how jealous she is of her cousin, who recently received a lot of help from family members after the birth of her child. Not to worry, though. Abigail and her husband come to the cheerful conclusion that the reason she has to suffer SO MUCH MORE than other people is because God made her a special snowflake and he loves her MORE than everyone else.

:shock:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who reads stuff like this, starts to write a comment, but then just sits there looking helplessly at the monitor while trying to digest the stupidity? :? I don't even know where to begin with this one. :doh:

Her blog makes me laugh long and hard. I love the line from the Prayer Help for the Unwelcome post in which she says she is sticking up for the Baby Jesus. That post is about a sign in her local courthouse asking parents to control their children. I'm wondering how the hell she is sticking up for the Baby Jesus by berating the court clerk and the bailiff for the sign. Unless the Baby Jesus is running his happy little butt all over the halls of the courthouse, her reason for confronting the clerk and bailiff is because she's a parent and dammit, her kids shouldn't be subjected to such a sign. I don't agree with the wording of the sign or the demand for me to "control" my children, but I'm not going to throw a tantrum and then say it's because I need to protect Baby Jesus. Like the OP said, she certainly thinks she is a special snowflake. :roll:

I know a while ago there was another incident where her family was going to have to move out of the apartment they were living in if she had another baby, because the apartment was too small for that many people, and obviously there are regulations about this sort of thing. But was this treated as an unfortunate but inescapable inconvenience due to things like building codes and overcrowding? Of course not. She was being persecuted for having too many children. Luckily Jesus is on HER side.

Am I the only one who reads stuff like this, starts to write a comment, but then just sits there looking helplessly at the monitor while trying to digest the stupidity? :? I don't even know where to begin with this one. :doh:

Nope, I'm in that place right now. I'm debating following this blogger, she sounds hilariously stupid.

OH MY GOD....

THIS WOMAN IS OUT OF FOOD.

THIS is the deprevation I grew up with that compels me to keep insane levels of "spare" food so that I always know I will NEVER go hungry again because I can feed my family for 2 weeks out of the odd ball stuff I just store for emergencies (and to ward off my panic attack).

Those poor, poor babies! I know exactly what it feels like to be HUNGRY and to stare at empty fridges and pantries. Does this woman not have a Canadian equivalent to food stamps? WHY does she let her children open a fridge without a single morsel of food in it?????

OH MY GOD....

THIS is the deprevation I grew up with that compels me to keep insane levels of "spare" food so that I always know I will NEVER go hungry again because I can feed my family for 2 weeks out of the odd ball stuff I just store for emergencies (and to ward off my panic attack).

Those poor, poor babies! I know exactly what it feels like to be HUNGRY and to stare at empty fridges and pantries. Does this woman not have a Canadian equivalent to food stamps? WHY does she let her children open a fridge without a single morsel of food in it?????

Wait, she's Canadian? Guess I have no choice but to follow her.

She's American, actually. It's just that I'M Canadian, so it automatically adds '.ca' to the blogspot address. :) I think she lives in West Virginia or thereabouts.

About two weeks ago, Jesus sent me to fencing classes

That Jesus! He's a car salesman, an interior decorator and now a personal trainer? He's going to get burned out, just wait.

So many of her posts are baffling (she prayed away a tornado, people, and the rosary saved her house from getting hit by a tree), but here's a delightful one summing up her thoughts on President Obama:

When so many Catholic complained that Obama didn't listen to the US Bishop who visited the Oval Office (I think it was Cardinal Nolan) about ending the HHS mandate, I was rich in sympathy. We're talking about a president who was abandoned by his own father at age 2. How was this man supposed to take a spiritual father suddenly directing him in his late 40s? How can we expect an unbaptized President to suddenly start showing a supernatural pattern of respect and obedience?

I'm praying for Obama's conversion.

Both she and her husband carry a gene for cystic fibrosis. Hers is a mild to medium kind and his is for a severe kind (I guess I didn't know there were degrees of CF). Her first three kids were free and clear. Don't know about the last two. NO WAY was she going to do amnio because she's CATHOLIC!!

OH MY GOD....

I don't see where she's out of food. What day did she post that?

She's also not using birth control. I mean, at all. Not even NFP. I really get the sense that she WANTS another baby. I think she was quite disappointed after she got a false pregnancy test only a few weeks after the birth of her last daughter. Both she and her husband are carriers of a genetic disease, she has to give birth by C-Section and has done so five times, and they can't seem to keep food in their cupboards, but she is bound and determined to have more babies. With her I feel like it's a status thing. The more children she has, the holier she looks.

The posts where she's out of food are a few pages back. She posted a whole bunch of pictures of empty cupboards and an empty fridge, and her kids looking into them...

She does fit into the fundie spectrum. She is pretty much in the same category as Briana and the A Woman's Place blogger. They are hardcore Catholic types and I bet people at their parishes are probably annoyed with them. It seems Abigail's family is relying on food donations based on a posting about receving package and a $5 donation.

I was raised Catholic but I had to laugh when i saw this. My parish never did wacky stuff like this.

abigails-alcove.blogspot.com/2012/07/our-lady-of-rosary-battle-circa-oct-7.html

Ok, this one doesn't just make me laugh derisively, she flat out pissed me off. What an irresponsible fool! She clearly has no idea of the absolute torture CF patients go through just to survive. She's knowingly bringing children in this world who are at extremely high risk, and then escaping into her fantasy land that Jesus will take care of it all. Clearly that bible shit about the lord helping those who help themselves doesn't apply to her. Because on top of bringing kids into this world willy-nilly, who have a high potential for a crippling and probably fatal disease, she's starving them as well!

She's friggin' dangerous. This is the kind that needs CPS called on her.

She cheerily talks of all the money they spent on a swim meet and buying a toy for a child who injured himself and thus reducing their food budget from over $100 to $30. There is no excuse for stupid.

Here's the empty pantry: http://abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2012 ... board.html

And she talks about having to throw everything out of the fridge when they lost power. Why didn't she cook the frozen pork chops and get a cooler with ice to save some of the condiments and such? She seems a bit on the foolish side.

Guest Anonymous

That Jesus! He's a car salesman, an interior decorator and now a personal trainer? He's going to get burned out, just wait.

AND he's channeling Errol Flynn, to boot.

She cheerily talks of all the money they spent on a swim meet and buying a toy for a child who injured himself and thus reducing their food budget from over $100 to $30. There is no excuse for stupid.

Here's the empty pantry: http://abigails-alcove.blogspot.ca/2012 ... board.html

And she talks about having to throw everything out of the fridge when they lost power. Why didn't she cook the frozen pork chops and get a cooler with ice to save some of the condiments and such? She seems a bit on the foolish side.

That is pretty foolish. I think it is good for kids to be involved in activities, but when a family doesn't really have the money/budget for it, it needs to go.

A couple of things about this newly discovered whack job. If she is a tertiary or Carmelite Secular she must fast Weds and Fri from Sept. to Easter. She also should be living in poverty and celibacy. It would take many years of training for her to become a secular in this order. She would also have to live in a community with other tertiaries or actual Carmelite sisters. It's likely she wouldn't be accepted if her husband was living and she had minor children in her care. FWIW she probably went to a Novena and got/bought an Our Lady of Mt. Carmel scapular that she wears. Talk about a fucking poser.

Okay, I went back far enough to see the empty fridge due to the power outage. Agreed, they could have cooked things on a grill (bought one or borrowed from a neighbor) &/or packed things on ice in a cooler. They could have gotten a few more days out of what they had.

The whole CF thing just burns me. Someone I knew in college had four kids in very short order only to find out years later that two of her kids have CF. She and her husband had no idea they were carriers. If they'd known they would have done IVF and had the embyos tested. I haven't talked to her in a long time, but I know from others how horrific CF is. To deliberately make babies knowing that those children could suffer is beyond the pale. These are cruel, heartless people. Fuck her and everything she stands for.

And what's with the whole "Mommy Mary" crap? Really? "Mommy Mary"?!!!??!!

Also, she's homeschooling and she can't fucking spell.

Hello—this is Abby's husband Jon. I wanted say OK, please send charity if you like.

When Abby asked me if we should accept charity from the blogger community, I said no. Not so much out of pride (well a little), but more because I was a little annoyed that people would miss the point of the post.

I love this post! This is Abby and I saying together, "We are going to stop beating ourselves up over making foolish decisions".

These people piss me off.

Translation: we're going keep doing whatever we feel like, and trust that other people Jesus will just keep swooping in to save the day.

And yeah, "Mommy Mary"... I don't even have words for that.

Archived