IGNORED

Breaking MAXWELL news/Liz cancelled the wedding to Joe

Lillybee

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not old, but very conservatively dressed. I'm plus-sized and almost 60, and I'd never go near the frumper that poor gal is wearing.

I left this comment on the Munck blog and it was posted:

I noticed that. Well done. I also saw that out of 27 posts there to date, 26 were supporting her decision, her courage and her wise choice to back out. A surprising number of anonymous posts allowed there too. The 27th (Nikki) seemed slightly snippy, but perhaps that is just my interpretation.

Well done, mrsanniebgood!

Thank you, also, to our intrepid navigator(s) of the Wayback Machine - haven't quite learned yet how to make it work for me every time. I've saved the relevant blogs posts as PDFs.

Really like the idea of having a sticky or something filled with purged posts & photos - it would be a true public service.

I realize I'm mentally still 12 in the humor department but while reading through all those posts on the evils of TV from the 2006 blog on Wayback Machine, I noticed that they talk about all the great things that came out of their conference that year as.... "Sweet Road Fruit."

:lol:

I realize I'm mentally still 12 in the humor department but while reading through all those posts on the evils of TV from the 2006 blog on Wayback Machine, I noticed that they talk about all the great things that came out of their conference that year as.... "Sweet Road Fruit."

:lol:

I'm 12, too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a blog post by Christopher's former fiance, Sara, and she talks about the engagement: simplysanctified.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/jesus-what-a-friend-and-lover/

If Joseph flips the house and makes a profit, I sure hope he gives some of his money to his sisters, since they worked so hard to help him. In that Kansas heat with no a/c, wearing layers of frumpers and t-shirts, at that.

I am pretty sure that isn't about Christopher but rather her second failed engagement. We had a discussion about that at some point...I need to find it.

Guest Anonymous

I'm 12, too. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me 3. It could have been worse-they could have referred to it as "Road Apples".

2009 was probably Sara's second engagement. The WBM puts Chris/Sara's courtship-engagement in late 2006/early 2007.

Back to the Muncks:

I wonder if that "big weekend" the Munck's posted about a couple of weeks ago was a visit to the Maxwell homestead. They said it was something "important". They never came back and posted about the w/end. I wonder if Ma & Pa visited. I don't think Liz went 'cause Steve did say a couple of times that Liz had never seen her new "home" in person...

I don't think this trip had anything to do with the Maxwells. The big trip coincided with the Munck family's trip to Douggie's Food Fest, which as fundie social climbers spending a few grand for a weekend's entertainment (and a picture with Mullet!), I think they would consider "immportant." They're just VERY slow updating their blog, then again, they were planning a wedding so the silence was understandable.

I haven't had time to read the last 4 pages of this thread (silly real life!), but I hope that this is the song Elizabeth is singing when she thinks of Joseph and the Maxwells.

k0BWlvnBmIE

I don't believe it's been mentioned yet, but does anyone else think maybe ol' Liz found someone else? Or would that be too unlikely, given her cloistered status as being engaged (and super-engaged, even, with the wedding only days away)? Could she have met someone at the Food Fest? Could some other straight-laced, pumpkin-pie-haircutted fundie have caught her eye, perhaps? It would be interesting if she became engaged again quickly.

I have never met, and likely will never meet, any of theses people, but nonetheless, I am shocked and ecstatic for Elizabeth. She would have been trapped once the wedding happened, with pretty much no way to get a divorce or run away. The amount of courage it must have taken to reject the almighty Maxwell clan is staggering. Good for her, and good for her parents for listening. Perhaps she really did feel God telling her this was not the right path, or maybe she freaked out at marrying into the cult and knew the only way out was the God's will line. Doesn't matter, she's free!

As for Joseph, I do feel bad for him, and I see one of two things happening- his heartbreak and pain makes him question Steve's dictates and way of life, and so he lives in his own house, or even just starts to leave the group, or, he retreats into the family, being told that the problem was getting involved with such a wordly girl in the first place, goes even more full-on fundie. Sadly, I think the latter is more likely.

Yes, I agree. I've had friends her age write blog posts after a nasty break up and (granted, their writing wasn't full of the bizarre fundy babble, but otherwise) they made about as much sense. I think it's hard to be coherent when you're that upset.

What DOES surprise me is that presumably her parents proofread it or at least knew about it and then let her post it. I guess they wanted a chance for Elizabeth to tell her side of the story? It just seems like her post is so emotional and garbled that she might have been better off if someone had said "uh... Maybe sleep on it a few days, calm down a little, and then rewrite it".

But it's not like a normal break up, because they barely met, they certainly hadn't had a chance to fall in love or have sex. So I don't think the distress level should be that high - if it is, it'll be about the plans and gifts going to waste, not the breakdown of the "relationship".

I assume they wanted a chance to tell their tale or maybe they had to explain it to friends and it was easier to do it via blog.

I don't think Elizabeth will find someone else soon, she might in a few years but I think she'll stay and look after Jonathan. She might think it's penance, or maybe she wasn't really ready to leave the family nest - she is still pretty young and they seem like a very close family and it would be a sudden move far, not a gradual one. I couldn't have done that at 20.

I do wish I wasn't banned over there, this is what I would post.

Dear Brother in Christ, wipe your tears and admonish your family not to mourn or feel the pain satan inflicts on you. Tell them that this is a time to put away grief and celebrate in His message. Our lord spoke to Elizabeth and wrote it on her heart that the marriage should not take place. He did this all to spare both families grief and pain, we cannot always understand the Lords ways but we must accept them with grace and joy. Our Lord presents us with lessons to be learned, as individuals and godly leaders in our homes. Just as your family looked up to you when Christopher's first engagement was ended, so they look up to you now as this marriage has been cancelled. Do not let satan grip your family in claws of deceitful feelings, for as a headship you followed the words of the bible and ensured a chaste and Godly courtship for Elizabeth and Joseph. Rejoice in your hearts for our Lord's message has been heard. For every thing there is a season. In this season prune the rotten fruit of grief and pain from the fine that is your family, so that it will one day blossom forth again.

Gosh I'm good at this. :lol:

I think she just finally saw the writing on the wall. As much as I had hoped Joseph would soften a bit and living a mile away from the compound, he'd allow Elizabeth her Christmas tree and other fun things she has enjoyed all her life. But there just MUST have been some discussion about family traditions during their courtship and engagement, right? I certainly hope so, anyway. And maybe he just told her that her family traditions had to go. She's probably been struggling for awhile with this decision -- you don't just wake up one morning and have an "aha" moment, do you? I kind of wonder if her mom wasn't posting much about the wedding on their blog because she knew Elizabeth was struggling. It sounds like her parents are supporting her decision, and they've certainly had their eyes opened, too.

Except that if you really want to fit in, you have to spell satan as "satin".

Off to the prayer closet if you are going to be so haughty with your proud grammar and spelling.

So do we know if Elizabeth made the call?

You mean the call where Elizabeth asked if it was possible to have John instead?? :whistle:

Since Elizabeth made her decision shortly before her bridal shower, I wonder if there were non-fundie family members around at the time? At bridal showers, old friends and relatives you haven't seen in years suddenly appear out of the woodwork. If they're from out of town, they might stop by for a visit before the shower. Perhaps a wise auntie or older cousin took Liz aside and advised her to take a closer look at her life and where it's headed if she marries into this family? Maybe a bunch of them got together and staged an intervention?

Since Elizabeth made her decision shortly before her bridal shower, I wonder if there were non-fundie family members around at the time? At bridal showers, old friends and relatives you haven't seen in years suddenly appear out of the woodwork. If they're from out of town, they might stop by for a visit before the shower. Perhaps a wise auntie or older cousin took Liz aside and advised her to take a closer look at her life and where it's headed if she marries into this family? Maybe a bunch of them got together and staged an intervention?

I kind of wonder if the Maxwells were in town. Maybe the Maxwell women were to attend her shower?

You mean the call where Elizabeth asked if it was possible to have John instead?? :whistle:

Hands off John you trashy woman, Elizabeth! He's mine!

I kind of wonder if the Maxwells were in town. Maybe the Maxwell women were to attend her shower?

I was wondering the same thing. It's weird she decided to call it off hours before the bridal shower. Someone tipped her or the family off. Or she realized she'd never be able to have the same relationship with her family once she became a Maxwell. At least if she is still at home and not married she can work with her family at their business. While it's not like the rest of us evil women who work, at least she gets to interact with people from all walks of life. Not just freaky fundies who come over to put together chore packs.

DD, God has to LAY those decisions, like peanut butter or nutella, on your heart. Other than that, brava!

And my bad, I didn't notice that Mama and Papa Bear Munck took a weekend getaway after the food fest with the "Big" pictures that we'll probably now never see. I agree that they likely went to see the Maxwells and this might have been the tip off from Daddy that I'd been looking for in this mess. Arthur probably had to pray on it and be convicted in his heart and all that bullshit before approaching Lizzy and informing her that she wouldn't be able to marry the guy.

Could have saved a few bucks for both them and their shower guests if he'd figured this out a week earlier. These fundies go to enough showers that presents could easily have been regifted. :lol:

Not bad for a soon-to-be ebil divorcee :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived