IGNORED

Huckabee creates Chick-fil-a appreciation day - NSFW

lilah

I personally believe that as time has gone on, this country has continued to stray more and more from the bible.

:shock:

Oh dear Jesus, save us from your followers. So, what constitutes "straying from the Bible"?

* Ratifying the 13th Amendment (did away with slavery and involuntary servitude in the USA)?

* Ratifying the 19th Amendment (gave women the right to vote)?

* Ratifying the 21st Amendment (overturned Prohibition)?

* Sweatt v. Painter / Brown v. Board of Education (did away with university/school segregation by race)?

* Griswold v. Connecticut (legalized the Pill for married women in the USA)?

* Loving v. Virginia (declared miscegenation laws unconstitutional)?

* Eisenstadt v. Baird (legalized the Pill for all adult women in the USA)?

* Social Security?

* Medicare?

* Medicaid?

Come on, tell me which of these strays from the Bible? As far as I'm concerned, we're a better country for all this, not worse.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need proof that gay activists are completely intolerant of anything said negative about homosexuality? Just open your eyes. Look at what happens anytime someone says something publicly agaist homosexuality. They are blackballed. Examples

Boy Scouts, Kirk Cameron, FLORIDA LT. GOVERNOR JENNIFER CARROLL, Adam Carolla, Saturday Night Live (offensive sketch), Ron Howard (The Dilemma), Jim Quinn, Bill O'Reilly, Focus on the Family, South Park, Nigel Lythgoe, Glenn Beck, Trevor Carey, and many many more.

Blackballed? By people who have any power? You make it sound as if they are suffering horribly.

I don't see anyone or anything on that list that had careers or businesses destroyed.

Cameron was already simply out of fashion - if it weren't for his fundie associations and bigoted statements, he'd have no career at all. Beck self-destructed -- that could have happened at any time.

As far as I know, none of those people are in prison, or starving, or (I have to say it) being slashed and raped and having insults carved in their bodies and painted on their walls.

People have simply disagreed with them, and, whenever possible, voted with their dollars.

Funny how he cites some very successful people. I watch Southpark every night (they are not even conservative, you fucking idiot!) and SNL seems fine (also not so conservative). None of these people are hurting for their outspokenness.

Why would I need to call businesses up that are in my community? I know the owners, I know the employees? I read the newspaper, I see what groups they support. And if that is too hard for you, I look for the rainbow sticker on the merchants windows if they are newbies in town. You really have no grasp of how a diverse community can function to support equal rights for it's citizens. As to larger business outside of my area, I do have the internet and a wealth of primary documentation available for me to use in my decision making. I know you don't get it, it's easy for you to believe it's not possible than to accept the reality of what community means as a secular issue. You are someone who would choose lynching and segregation over equal rights for all Americans, it's easy to see why you prefer to mock my actions.

Oh, I have not issue with you doing this and I "get it". I just don't agree that it is normal and I still think there is an anti-gay person falling through the crack somewhere in your perfect world.

*nods* I live in California, and although I remain thoroughly peeved about Prop 8 (which resulted in my state losing marriage equality), it is very easy to find out what organizations and businesses donated money to try to preserve marriage equality (so I can reward them with my business), along with what orgs and businesses donated money to undo marriage equality (so I can avoid patronizing them).

Why on earth would it be surprising that we'd rather buy a sandwich from people who aren't trying to pass legislation we find bigoted and disgusting?

It's not surprising. It's impossible.

What bad association? What shame?

I'm really confused now. No snark or sarcasm, I just don't get the connection.

The way the "recall" looks to me is that CFA was making a lame attempt to make it look like the discontinuation of the toys was their idea, and for a non-controversial reason.

Do you think people were accusing CFA of withdrawing the toys because Muppets=gay stuff somehow? And, if so, why would "Henson Creature Shop" stuff be less "gay?"

Oh, and I see you ignored my first question. Were you really saying that you would shrug off a law that prohibited Christians from marrying, without protest or attempt to change it?

Oh I might try to help change it. But if its the law, its the law. What do you want me to say? I don't agree with abortion, but its the law, there is nothing I can do about it except express my view.

Oh, I have not issue with you doing this and I "get it". I just don't agree that it is normal and I still think there is an anti-gay person falling through the crack somewhere in your perfect world.

Like I said, it's normal in my community. It certainly wouldn't be normative for you.

That makes no sense at all. Are you actually reading what other people are writing? Donations are a matter of public record. So are public statements. It's not that hard to take them into account.

That makes no sense at all. Are you actually reading what other people are writing? Donations are a matter of public record. So are public statements. It's not that hard to take them into account.

Jericho is basically admitting that his side lies, evades, and covers their true beliefs even though they have a big enough base that they don't need to. At least according to them...

Blackballed? By people who have any power? You make it sound as if they are suffering horribly.

I don't see anyone or anything on that list that had careers or businesses destroyed.

Cameron was already simply out of fashion - if it weren't for his fundie associations and bigoted statements, he'd have no career at all. Beck self-destructed -- that could have happened at any time.

As far as I know, none of those people are in prison, or starving, or (I have to say it) being slashed and raped and having insults carved in their bodies and painted on their walls.

People have simply disagreed with them, and, whenever possible, voted with their dollars.

But its more than disagree. It's systematically attacking them from all sides, with the help of the media, entertainment, politics and more. It's so bad that sometimes they even attack openly gay supporters (like Ron Howard) for trivial things.

It is, indeed, quite possible to avoid CFA and some other businesses with whose bigotry we disagree. The idea that it needs to be perfect never occurred to me, and I doubt it occurred to the poster you were answering here.

What's your definition of "normal?" The idea of putting one's money where one's conscience is seems normal to me -- it's how I was raised.

Like I said, it's normal in my community. It certainly wouldn't be normative for you.

Do you live in Gayland where everyone puts a rainbow sticker on their windows and nobody things about anything other than homosexuality?

Do you live in Gayland where everyone puts a rainbow sticker on their windows and nobody things about anything other than homosexuality?

I know where she lives and no one thinks about homosexuality at all. No one gives a fuck what you do in your bedroom with consenting adults, and they expect you to extend the same courtesy. YOUR side is the one obsessed with sex. Don't even turn this around, I happen to have grown up in a place very much like where she lives and I thought nothing of the neighbor kid with two mommies. Decent people don't care about sexual persuasion, they care about tolerance and being a decent human being.

Let me put it another way. I'm not surprised at all that you would want to not give money to those who are against homosexuality. But its impossible not to. Just as it would be impossible for me not to give money to a pro-gay organization or business.

I know where she lives and no one thinks about homosexuality at all. No one gives a fuck what you do in your bedroom with consenting adults, and they expect you to extend the same courtesy. YOUR side is the one obsessed with sex. Don't even turn this around, I happen to have grown up in a place very much like where she lives and I thought nothing of the neighbor kid with two mommies. Decent people don't care.

Well, I'm not the one checking every business in town to see if they are pro-gay.

Well, I'm not the one checking every business in town to see if they are pro-gay.

Caring about whether someone is a tolerant, rational human being and caring what they do for an orgasm are two different things.

It is, indeed, quite possible to avoid CFA and some other businesses with whose bigotry we disagree. The idea that it needs to be perfect never occurred to me, and I doubt it occurred to the poster you were answering here.

What's your definition of "normal?" The idea of putting one's money where one's conscience is seems normal to me -- it's how I was raised.

He's saying "normal," but I'd guess what he meant to say was "average." I don't think they're the same thing at all.

Caring about whether someone is a tolerant, rational human being and caring what they do for an orgasm are two different things.

How about being tolerant to a differing opinion. The LGBT crowd doesn't seem to be "tolerant" of Chick Fil-A's views.

Oh I might try to help change it. But if its the law, its the law. What do you want me to say? I don't agree with abortion, but its the law, there is nothing I can do about it except express my view.

I want to know if you would live closeted, celibate and without love, or live with a woman without benefit of marriage (and the legal advantages it brings).

Wouldn't you feel it was discriminatory and unfair? Would you feel targeted and like a second-class citizen, just because you are a Christian?

Would you be sad or shamed that you could not have the covenant in which you believe recognized by the state? Would you feel you were living in sin? Would you be nervous that you and your wife could be more easily separated by the outside world, despite your solemn vows to one another?

You seemed to be dismissing the idea that it's any hardship at all for people not to be legally permitted to marry their beloved partners. It seems disingenuous -- just something a person says because it's a group they scorn who is in that position.

I would like to know how you would feel, react, live your life if the victim of such a law was you, with your definition of marriage.

I live in a socially progressive community where 22 of the 25 churches share my progressive family values, one of which is equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender. I'm also part of an interfaith community working group that supports and my progressive family values, one of which is equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender.

As I have asserted before, it is not necessary for me to check every business in my town to find out if they support equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender. I'm an informed adult that participates in my community. Please don't lie, it merely shows just how weak your position is.

Now I'd like to finish my sandwich, which I purchased down the street, from a gay owned business. TTFN

But its more than disagree. It's systematically attacking them from all sides, with the help of the media, entertainment, politics and more. It's so bad that sometimes they even attack openly gay supporters (like Ron Howard) for trivial things.

Ron Howard? Gay? I don't think so.

There is no gay juggernaut attacking people -- there are individual people and businesses saying "bigotry is a bad thing."

I just can't see anything bad about that.

Ron Howard? Gay? I don't think so.

There is no gay juggernaut attacking people -- there are individual people and businesses saying "bigotry is a bad thing."

I just can't see anything bad about that.

I didn't mean to imply that Ron Howard is gay. I meant to say he supported gay rights.

I live in a socially progressive community where 22 of the 25 churches share my progressive family values, one of which is equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender. I'm also part of an interfaith community working group that supports and my progressive family values, one of which is equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender.

As I have asserted before, it is not necessary for me to check every business in my town to find out if they support equal rights for all Americans regardless of gender. I'm an informed adult that participates in my community. Please don't lie, it merely shows just how weak your position is.

Now I'd like to finish my sandwich, which I purchased down the street, from a gay owned business. TTFN

Thanks for the info. As someone else pointed out, I used the word Normal when I should have maybe said typical. Your town is not typical of most.

How about being tolerant to a differing opinion. The LGBT crowd doesn't seem to be "tolerant" of Chick Fil-A's views.

I think we need a bingo card for this conversation.

So you're cranking out the ol' "you say you're so tolerant, but . . . " bit, eh?

Would you say nothing about a business who had a public policy stating that all Christians should be deprived of basic rights allowed to everyone else, by law?

Would you give them your business? Would you think you were being intolerant or petty by avoiding them?

Nobody is trying to legislate putting CFA out of business. They are just choosing to speak out against them, and not spend their own money there.

So we should all be "tolerant" of hateful bigots who insist the world should be run according to the laws and rules written thousands of years ago by ignorant desert dwellers who had their own contemporary political agendas?

What exactly about the United States of America don't you get? We aren't all "Christians" (whatever that means these days). Your crazy-ass Bible is not the rule of law. And your hatefulness and bigotry does not deserve respect.

Archived