IGNORED

Huckabee creates Chick-fil-a appreciation day - NSFW

lilah

Will I tolerate intolerance? No. Tolerating intolerance hurts people. Jericho's side is making children suicidal, preventing strong American families, and delving into matters that cannot possibly concern you. I am not intolerant for being completely against that. All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we need a bingo card for this conversation.

So you're cranking out the ol' "you say you're so tolerant, but . . . " bit, eh?

Would you say nothing about a business who had a public policy stating that all Christians should be deprived of basic rights allowed to everyone else, by law?

Would you give them your business? Would you think you were being intolerant or petty by avoiding them?

Nobody is trying to legislate putting CFA out of business. They are just choosing to speak out against them, and not spend their own money there.

Yes, I would object to depriving Christians of basic rights, just as I would for gay people or anyone. I would and do give my business to gay people and those who support gay-rights. I have no choice, it would be impossible not to.

I think there is more to the Chick Fil-A situation than they way you put it though. It's more like a Witch Hunt. I've already read some new news stories today about investigations into Chick Fil-A. They are leaving no stone un-turned.

The LGBT crowd doesn't seem to be "tolerant" of Chick Fil-A's views.

Yeah, there's a reason for that. QUILTBAG folks have a lot more to lose from Christian theonomists than theonomists have to lose from QUILTBAG folks.

If anti-QUILTBAG people get everything they want, they get to tell me and my friends and family, in perpetuity, who to marry. They get to discriminate against us in hiring and housing. If the theonomists get their way (they won't, but bear with me a moment), having sex with a person of the same sex will be punished by the death penalty. It's hard for the stakes to get much higher.

If I get everything I want, you'll be able to go to more weddings and eat more cake-- and, seriously, how can you be against more cake?

Nothing else will change for you (unless you object to hiring or renting to QUILTBAG people). No one will make you marry a person of the same sex. You'll still be able to believe whatever you want. You still get to vote and to assemble with like-minded people. You will still be allowed feel as superior to me and the rest of us sinnerz as you want. If the "gay agenda" is fulfilled, you will lose roughly nothing, except the right to legislate your morality on people who may or may not share it (a right you actually don't have, because of the establishment clause). I mean, if you publicly insult people, they might not buy your product. But that is status quo.

So we should all be "tolerant" of hateful bigots who insist the world should be run according to the laws and rules written thousands of years ago by ignorant desert dwellers who had their own contemporary political agendas?

What exactly about the United States of America don't you get? We aren't all "Christians" (whatever that means these days). Your crazy-ass Bible is not the rule of law. And your hatefulness and bigotry does not deserve respect.

"Hateful Bigots". Really? You think Dan Cathy "hates" homosexuals? I get so tired of the term "homophobe" and "hate groups" in regards to those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle. Most people like that aren't haters.

Yes, I would object to depriving Christians of basic rights, just as I would for gay people or anyone.

Oh, then you are OK with same-sex marriage? Great!

I think there is more to the Chick Fil-A situation than they way you put it though. It's more like a Witch Hunt. I've already read some new news stories today about investigations into Chick Fil-A. They are leaving no stone un-turned.

Trust me, it's not a witch hunt. :roll:

Who is "they"? Please share these news stories and explain how they support your point.

"Hateful Bigots". Really? You think Dan Cathy "hates" homosexuals? I get so tired of the term "homophobe" and "hate groups" in regards to those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle. Most people like that aren't haters.

Yup. Hateful bigots.

I'm not surprised you don’t like hearing the truth about your bigotry. Too fucking bad.

jericho wrote:I think there is more to the Chick Fil-A situation than they way you put it though. It's more like a Witch Hunt. I've already read some new news stories today about investigations into Chick Fil-A. They are leaving no stone un-turned.

No one would have to go too far to find dirt on Chik Fil A. Before this whole political mess hit the media, they had already been sued for multiple sexual harassment cases, hiring illegal immigrants, and actual discrimination against gay people. They also filed a notoriously frivolous lawsuit against a vegan who used a graphic that said "Eat More Kale" that pretty much made them laughingstocks. That was on the first page of google, but you could delve further and get more I am sure.

I get so tired of the term "homophobe" and "hate groups" in regards to those who disagree with the homosexual lifestyle. Most people like that aren't haters.

The only reason to actively seek to deprive someone of happiness who is doing nothing that actually harms anyone else is that you hate them. So yes, they are haters.

No one is making you live a gay lifestyle. And what does that mean anyway? The lesbian couples I know have nice houses, impeccable character and are strict but involved parents. Is that the lesbian lifestyle you are mad about?

*nods* I live in California, and although I remain thoroughly peeved about Prop 8 (which resulted in my state losing marriage equality), it is very easy to find out what organizations and businesses donated money to try to preserve marriage equality (so I can reward them with my business), along with what orgs and businesses donated money to undo marriage equality (so I can avoid patronizing them).

Why on earth would it be surprising that we'd rather buy a sandwich from people who aren't trying to pass legislation we find bigoted and disgusting?

This.

And trollboy, South Park/SNL are PARODIES, you moron. That's how sophisticated comedy operates, but I don't expect humorless fundies to understand this concept, living in their little worlds of black and white (literally, before the end of Jim Crow). :roll:

Love it when Friday comes early! Pass me a piece of gay cake, the cocktail and an oreo, thank you very much!

Wait. Did Jericho just say that South Park and SNL have made anti-gay comments? Can you wrap your two brain cells around the concept of satire? One of the cast members, Kate McKinnon, is a lesbian. The idea that SNL and South Park have been blackballed is hilarious.

This.

And trollboy, South Park/SNL are PARODIES, you moron. That's how sophisticated comedy operates, but I don't expect humorless fundies to understand this concept, living in their little worlds of black and white (literally, before the end of Jim Crow). :roll:

Love it when Friday comes early! Pass me a piece of gay cake, the cocktail and an oreo, thank you very much!

GLADD is actively protesting an episode of South Park, and a sketch on SNL.

Well. I came here to whine about how this jerk Huckabee is ruining my birthday with his "Bigot Appreciation Day" nonsense, and then there's 12 pages of this. Had to check the calendar and make sure that it was Wednesday and not Friday. I hate it when my trolls get off-schedule. Can we have someone look into that? :snooty:

(But seriously, there are 364 other days, but no. He HAD to pick August 1.)

GLADD was protesting South Park for using the f-word, which I agree with, as they had no right to appropriate that slur for their own use. As for SNL, their skit was transphobic and trivialized aggression toward trans* people as well as promoting stereotypes, which is wrong. Still, this occurred between one and three years ago.

GLADD was protesting South Park for using the f-word, which I agree with, as they had no right to appropriate that slur for their own use. As for SNL, their skit was transphobic and trivialized aggression toward trans* people as well as promoting stereotypes, which is wrong. Still, this occurred between one and three years ago.

But it still occurred. And I've been watching sophisticated comedy longer than most of you were alive probably.

By "active protest", he means they said they did not like it. That is all. The gay agenda in full force.

Jericho, I've asked you before to stop lying. GLADD handslapped Parker and Stone three years ago. There was never a 'Protest'. GLADD merely asked folks to contact SP and tell their stories of how the F word impacted their lives. Sounds like an informational effort to me.

But it still occurred. And I've been watching sophisticated comedy longer than most of you were alive probably.

:lol:

And I've been watching sophisticated comedy longer than most of you were alive probably.

Is this a competition? :D

I'm almost 60, and love the very sophisticated humor of the films of the 1930s. TCM is featuring Leslie Howard this month (no relation to Ron), and I enjoyed Pygmalion and The Animal Kingdom last night.

And I've been watching sophisticated comedy longer than most of you were alive probably.

:lol: You clearly wouldn't know "sophisticated comedy" if it bit you in the ass and called you Mama.

If "pushing a gay agenda" means telling people politely when you don't like being called a slur, then why is Jericho even worried?

Jericho, you ARE comedy. Not sophisticated, but very amusing.

I don't even understand the point of mentioning the boycotts against South Park and SNL (probably because you don't have one). When will people let go of the idea that just because an organization claims to be liberal or progressive that they are not necessarily allies? To use boycotts against liberal outlets by LGBT organizations is ridiculous. Actions speak louder than mission statements. You can claim to be liberal and still fuck up and encourage homophobia/transphobia , and you SHOULD be called out on it no matter where you think your social or political beliefs lie on the spectrum.

Is this a competition? :D

I'm almost 60, and love the very sophisticated humor of the films of the 1930s. TCM is featuring Leslie Howard this month (no relation to Ron), and I enjoyed Pygmalion and The Animal Kingdom last night.

Did you happen to catch "Berkley Square"? I've been hearing about it for decades but word has it TCM finally got ahold of a copy and aired it last night. I don't have TCM, but my sister has DVR'd it for me.

GLADD wasn't asking for either of those shows to be taken off the air; they just pointed out that satire is only edgy if it's targeted at people who aren't targets in everyday life.

And are you telling me you don't send Focus on the Family a disgruntled letter on the rare occasions when you think they've missed the boat? I call bullshit.

Also-- not that you care, but QUILTBAG people and their allies are not a monolith, any more than Christians are*. We don't all like, or laugh at, or want precisely the same things, which makes your fevered references to the "gay agenda" sound a little ridiculous.

*Also, QUILTBAG people/allies and Christians are not mutually exclusive categories.

(edited for riffle)

:lol: You clearly wouldn't know "sophisticated comedy" if it bit you in the ass and called you Mama.

I certainly think that Paar and Steve Allen were sophisticated comedy. But I will defer to Jenifer Juniper. :D

*Also, QUILTBAG people/allies and Christians are not mutually exclusive categories.

If that was directed at me, I didn't mean to come off that way, and apologize if I did

I certainly think that Paar and Steve Allen were sophisticated comedy. But I will defer to Jenifer Juniper. :D

Bitch please. I was in the audience the first time Max Miller performed. :lol:

Archived