IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Just finished Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde. Absolutely loved his Thursday Next series. Spent the summer reading four of Michelle Moran's historical fiction books, most recently Cleopatra's Daughter. Currently meandering through Jan Karon's newest Mitford book Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good.Other than the fact Fr. Tim is much too much into forgiveness and letting people live and let live it could almost be fundie approved reading. The characters crack me up and it is a gentle read for the days when I feel beat up by real life.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

clueliss, have you continued reading Cuckoo's Calling? I loved it and also enjoyed The Silkworm. I hope you enjoy them, too.

Couldn't get into it. Will try at a later time when I'm a bit less distracted and have more focus. Or I might try it on audiobook sometime.

Right now I'm continuing my trek through Stephen King's 11/22/1963. Which also has taken some time to get into but I rather like.

Me Talk Pretty One Day David Sedaris

The Kite Runner by Khaled Houssani

I loved these books! One had me laughing to tears, the other had me crying. They are extremely different and yet both so touching!

Also it's funny that you mention Sedaris as I'm currently reading his "Let's explore diabetes with owls" :) 

I'm usually reading 3 or 4 books at the same time (reading is by far my favourite pass time), so the other books I'm "working" on right now are "The Science of Discworld (vol I)" by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart & Jack Cohen and Les Désorientés by Amin Maalouf. (I don't think the last one has already been translated, but it's about the Lebanese Civil War.)

I love seeing what anyone is reading and all the suggestions (I took notes :)).

I just started Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer. I read his other book, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, a couple years ago. But, dang, his style is distinctive.

The Magicians series by Lev Gossman. It's kind of like Harry Potter, if magic was actually ridiculous and it was set in the modern day. The main character, Quintin, is invited to take a test at the magic college, Brakebills, and if he fails he won't remember anything about it. Fortunately he passes, or it would be are really short series. It's really fascinating.

Quintin's obsessed with a Narnia-equivalent fantasy world from a popular kid's series and now that he's at magic school, he's determined to find out if it's real. Since the second book is called 'Magician's Land', I'm assuming it is.

The Martian by Andy Weir. Someone I know saw the firm at the Toronto International Film Festival and said that it's really, really good. Just the film trailer made me want to read the book.

A Full Life, former President Jimmy Carter's memoir.

The Martian by Andy Weir. Someone I know saw the firm at the Toronto International Film Festival and said that it's really, really good. Just the film trailer made me want to read the book.

A Full Life, former President Jimmy Carter's memoir.

I really really liked the Martian. And I can't wait to see Matt Damon in the movie.

I really really liked the Martian. And I can't wait to see Matt Damon in the movie.

I read this book when it was first published (not that long ago) and thought it was one of most thrilling sci-fi books ever. I've seen reviews that the movie is supposed to be good, so am looking forward to that.

:agree:

Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Good, and haunting. Definitely wasn't what I expected. Just starting "The Diviners" by Libba Bray because I really loved "Going Bovine" and "Beauty Queens". :rawr:

Glad to find other readers here. :wink-kitty:

Just finished "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Good, and haunting. Definitely wasn't what I expected. Just starting "The Diviners" by Libba Bray because I really loved "Going Bovine" and "Beauty Queens". :rawr:

Glad to find other readers here. :wink-kitty:

oooo I really liked Never Let Me Go as well.

oooo I really liked Never Let Me Go as well.

Have you read any of Ishiguro's other books? I'm trying to decide whether to read one next.

Have you read any of Ishiguro's other books? I'm trying to decide whether to read one next.

I read "Artist of the Floating World" probably 5 years ago. Honestly, I don't remember much about it, except that it takes place in Japan and the narrator was confusing/unreliable. But I must have liked it enough to pick up "Never Let Me Go" a few years later. If I hate a book, I probably won't read another one by that author.

I'm reading Young Babylon, which has been out for a while but only recently published in English. It's an interesting, not-quite-linear memoir-style book set in a culture and circumstance that is completely foreign to me. It's good so far.

I am reading a non-fiction book called "How Does It Feel to Be A Problem? Being Young and Arab in America" its for one of my classes. It basically takes like 6 portraits of young (20-somethings) Arab people living in Brooklyn and describes their life after 9/11.

Everytime I read a Hanna chapter on PLL, I cringe a little. It's so awful and OTT. Also she reminds me way too much of my high school.

My mom has brought some stuff home that belonged to my aunt who had passed early last month. One of the things she brought home was an old copy of the book Ben-Hur that Mom said either belonged to Grandpa or one of his brothers that my aunt inherited when Grandma died in 2003. I've been picking it up and reading it off and on lately (even though I've already got it in ebook format and have read it a couple times before).

I'm starting Everything I Never Told You by Chelsea Ng for my bookclub, it is supposed to be very good! Part murder mystery, part family drama.

I just finished "The Kind Worth Killing," by Peter Swanson. It's a thriller and I loved it!

I'm re-reading "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed in preparation for a book group meeting next week. She certainly found her way on the Pacific Crest Trail. It made me want to do something similar for myself, though at my age and with my knees (and back and general everything...) it definitely won't be hiking, LOL.

I just finished "The Martian" after seeing the movie last week and I highly recommend it! It's definitely a page turner. I read all almost-400 pages in a matter of a few days of reading sporadically. The movie is also great. :)

Alright, so don't judge me, but I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary edition of Twilight with the genderswapped version that you flip the book over to read. I really want to make a drinking game of it, because even though I can already tell it's going to be just as horrible, I'm curious and looking for snark material.

I'm reading the Song of Ice and Fire (game of Thebes series) for the first time ever. I love it so much!

So much so that I'm willing to drive an hour away (to Lincoln, for all my Omaha peeps!) to my cousins house where I forgot my book this morning on my way to work.

"Why would you waste the gas!?"

"I'm at a good part! Actually every chapter is like that."

Alright, so don't judge me, but I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary edition of Twilight with the genderswapped version that you flip the book over to read. I really want to make a drinking game of it, because even though I can already tell it's going to be just as horrible, I'm curious and looking for snark material.

Wait... they make that? Is it Beau and Edina and Jackie the werewolf? Carly? Rene (as a dude name)? Carlita? Esme (also a dudes name)? Alec? Jasmine? Rogelio? Emma?

Actually, that was fun!

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived