IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Right now re-reading Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy). Love that book :)

I am rereading War and Peace (it's been all summer.) I read it in high school and I'm giving it a second go. Love Tolstoy also. Actually, love all the major Russian authors.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think i'm starting to get over the post-tfios hump, and i think i'll start reading the "civil war" marvel arc. i can't wait to see steve rogers go against tony stark.

Just started "Mrs. Poe" by Lynn Cullen. Not surprisingly it is a dark, Gothic treatment of the famous author and those he pulled into his orbit.

so, i finally read the "civil war" arc and it was AWESOME. i then moved onto and just finished the oneshot "old man logan" and holy wow that is seriously the best comic i've read. just when i thought i had figured it out and knew what was going to happen...nope! twist! also lots of nice, iconic artwork. :)

Re-reading Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey). Probably going to go through all three trilogies, as I haven't fulled read the last one...

• 3 weeks later...

Randy Shilts' "And the Band Played On", which chronicles the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, especially in the USA. It's almost thirty years old, but definitely one of those books you must read in your lifetime. Though I warn you, you WILL get angry.

Rereading the Jack Parbalane series by Christopher Brookmyre. Love his books especially The Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks

Just finished The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics - it's the local One Read book this year, and I may accidentally get to meet the author. The story of the 8-man rowing team from Washington state and their journey to the Olympics, focusing a lot on the life of one of the team members. It's partly a biography, kind of. Very good book.

Now I've started the Sally Ride biography, am reading a Hamish Macbeth mystery, and need to find and finish the Beverly Cleary memoir.

Just finished Euphoria by Lily King - highly recommend. It is a completely fictional work inspired by Margaret Mead and it was incredibly well-written and moving and I was just really drawn to the incredible but problematic female protagonist (no spoilers). It was a quick read too. Loved it!

Am halfway through The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, the Outlander Series.

Did a review of Lost in Translation by Ella Frances Sanders, which is an lovely book which is an illustrated compendum of untranslateable words from around the world. I'm in Blogging for Books. You pick a book, get it, read it, review it, and do it all over again. I've done 3 so far.

I started reading the first Moody book. I should really turn to it at night when I have trouble sleeping. It is just as boring as everyone warned me it would be.

Randy Shilts' "And the Band Played On", which chronicles the early years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, especially in the USA. It's almost thirty years old, but definitely one of those books you must read in your lifetime. Though I warn you, you WILL get angry.

His book Conduct Unbecoming: Gays, Lesbians and the US Military is also good although, thankfully, it's a bit out of date now. If you don't know why it was important for US military policy to change so that LGBT service members could serve openly, then you need to read this.

The next time I'm in DC I intend to visit Leonard Matlovich's gravesite.

"When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men, and a discharge for loving one."

edited to correct quote

I'm currently reading The Genius of Dogs: How Dogs are Smarter Than You Think by Brian Hare and Vanessa Woods. It's all about cognition in dogs and compares it to cognition in wolves, bonobos, foxes and other animals. Apparently bonobos are to chimps as dogs are to wolves and both bonobos and dogs share some cognitive advantages over chimps and wolves. One thing that's fascinating is dogs use of gestures. All dogs make use of human gestures and make gestures themselves. This is irrespective of their earlier training. Feral dogs are as likely as pampered Park Avenue pooches to follow your gestures. This behavior is evident in 6 week old puppies. Dogs can also recognize your voice and a picture of your face.

The Other Wes Moore Wes Moore, required reading for my writing/composition class. The tragic irony of 2 guys from the same neighborhood with the same name. One, a Rhodes Scholar, the other's serving life in prison.

The Wolf Gift Anne Rice, I've been a life-long fangirl of hers. The first installment of a new werewolf series.

Consider the Fork (the history of how we cook & eat) Bee Wilson, I geek out for foodie lit and culinary anthropology

The Other Wes Moore Wes Moore, required reading for my writing/composition class. The tragic irony of 2 guys from the same neighborhood with the same name. One, a Rhodes Scholar, the other's serving life in prison.

The Wolf Gift Anne Rice, I've been a life-long fangirl of hers. The first installment of a new werewolf series.

Consider the Fork (the history of how we cook & eat) Bee Wilson, I geek out for foodie lit and culinary anthropology

I've also read Consider the Fork because I'm a history geek, and a foodie as well. Another book I've finished is The Mockingbird Next Door about Harper Lee, and it makes me want to reread To Kill A Mockingbird.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn- trying to finish it before I go to see the movie.

Also, reading a VERY long bio of Walt Disney by Neal Gabler. My fiancee' thinks it nuts that I have really enjoyed watching and collecting all the old (1930's-1950's) Disney movies. I guess maybe since I wasn't allowed to watch them as a kid, I am enjoying them now and just wanted to learn more about Walt.

The biography is interesting, but he is not the likable guy I was hoping for.

I just picked up Gone Girl this afternoon when I was at Target. I got it to read on the plane on Thursday which is actually why I got The Genius of Dogs. I've put Gone Girl aside so I don't read it till I'm at least at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

TXgirl, you mentioned both Gone Girl and Neal Gabler bio of Walt Disney.

I've been reading Gone Girl and haven't finished it, but I do know how it turns out. I gotta say that Nick and Amy are two of most odious, unlikeable characters ever. I don't think that either one has a single redeeming characteristic.

Agnes Nixon, the creator of All My Children and One Life to Live, always said that a character with no redeeming characteristics couldn't last for long. I think I'm tired of Amy and Nick already.

Am up to A Breath of Snow and Ashes in the Outlander Series. Am reading Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning. Also read In The Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed MD, she was a doctor in Saudi on a 2 yr contract after her fellowships here in the ER. She was a British subject at the time. Makes you think about absolute theocracy and how lucky we are. In line is Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. I love my Kindle.

:borg:

• 3 weeks later...

i just finished The Fault in Our Stars. Ugly cried through most of it. I will be checking out more books by John Green, however. I loved The Fault in Our Stars, and it was only the second book I've read that when I finished it I wanted to turn right back to page 1 and read it again. (The first was Love in the Time of Cholera.)

I love reading so.damn.much. It feels as essential as breathing.

Am up to A Breath of Snow and Ashes in the Outlander Series. Am reading Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum and The Glassblower by Petra Durst-Benning. Also read In The Land of Invisible Women by Qanta Ahmed MD, she was a doctor in Saudi on a 2 yr contract after her fellowships here in the ER. She was a British subject at the time. Makes you think about absolute theocracy and how lucky we are. In line is Edge of Eternity by Ken Follett. I love my Kindle.

:borg:

We must have the same taste in books. I've read all of the Outlander series, and also Those Who Save Us, (as well as The Stormchasers by the same author.) I haven't read Edge of Eternity , but I really liked The Pillars of the Earth by him.

I'm reading The Heist, by Daniel Silva which is very good. Better than the last couple of his I read.

OMG I can't bring myself to finish War and Peace. It's been sitting on my bedside table for at least a month now. I probably only have 20-30 pages to go but it's become such a slog I've switched to doing sudoku because I won't let myself start another book, which I really want to do, until I've finished W&P.

:? :angry-banghead: :lol:

Ok, I didn't find any better thread to ask:

I am looking for good, academical books and articles about women in the Hebrew Bible that talk about specific issues and characters - like motherhood, Sarah/Hagar, Eve and sin etc. - and are online. I'm sure lots of freejinger members have read about that, so can you please, please help me? :worship:

For fun I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife. I'm also reading a book about introverts for my hubby. We are in the middle of 50 shades (reading together as a couple) and the Harry Potter series (reading to the kids).

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived