IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Right now I'm reading The Nazi Officer's Wife, by Edith Hahn Beer.

I just started reading Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill on my tablet. So far, it's completely enthralling. I haven't been able to put it down. 

Ooooh what a great read! It definitely was hard to put down for me too - thanks for reminding me I have to read it again! :)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to start reading Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel today while I do my laundry at the laundromat.  I have a bookclub book I probably should read instead, but I want to read this one first lol.  

For Today I Am a Boy by Kim Fu was really good.  It's a quick read but very...deep, for lack of a better word.  If you like to get inside the mind of the characters, you'll like this one.  

Also, unrelated, but has anyone seen that Amazon opened a brick-and-mortar bookstore in Seattle?  I think it is very odd, and shameless, but also could just be an experiment?  Here are two links about it:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/123352/my-25-star-trip-amazons-bizarre-new-bookstore

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowitz/2015/11/04/amazons-retail-store-has-nothing-to-do-with-selling-books/

I saw something - but did not read the article - on amazon brick and mortar store(s).  I shop Amazon because there are things I can find there that I can't find in person.  I cannot imagine that a 'real store' is going to meet my needs. But then I am in mid-Missouri are my options are limited.  

catching up from shelter post.  

Finished King's 11/22/1963 (which I bought in November 2013).

I'm in the middle of this now.  Started it on Halloween (my idea of fun is to read Stephen King on Halloween :pb_lol:) -- I like his writing, I like most of his story arcs, and this one is just fascinating.  I'm developing some theories about what might happen -- don't post any spoilers please!

I just finished up Are you my Mother? by Alison Bechdel. I really loved her comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, and this book was really excellent too, but I wasn't a big fan of the way that Bechdel refers to psychoanalysis. These theories really seem to resonate with her, but I found myself rolling my eyes at them a lot, especially the constant dream interpretation in her therapy sessions. And I've kept a dream journal and interpreted my dreams for most of my life and seen a therapist since I was 14 years old, but I just think that dream analysis is much more personal, and only very rarely came  up in any therapy sessions I had. I don't really buy into the idea that certain symbols are universal in dreams, I think that symbols mean different things to different people. I've also just never been one for reading theory.

Has anyone else here read this book? I would love to know what other folks think. 

I finally decided to put my hour and a half round trip commute to good use with audio books. Right now I'm listening to Stacy Schiff's The Witches: Salem 1692, which prompted me to watch The Crucible the other night. Lots of dramatic license there but you know, Daniel Day Lewis so I'm not quibbling. Both book and film are quite good. 

Adding the hitchens book to my sample list on the kindle.  Thanks!

Hitchens is great. His content is always top quality and interesting, but his writing is a joy in and of itself. He simply wrote great english.

Today I finished Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen.  I have to admit I have never been a fan of Peter Pan, and I really dislike Tinkerbell, so it was interesting to experience the "truth" from Hook's viewpoint. 

Cool weather always brings on nostalgia for me, so tomorrow I'm going to pull out my old Oz books and go see the Wizard. I have three days to binge read and drink hot tea.

if you love Oz and the whole truth from Hook's standpoint  have you read Wicked (and following books) by Gregory McGuire?  

I finished Station Eleven and it was sooooo good. One of my new favorites.  

I am now starting on my bookclub book, chosen by my friend, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd.

I'm going to reread Evening at the Palace of Reason, and then reread the Little Women/Little Men/Jo's Boys trilogy.

Kind of dropped a lot of what I've been reading to try and slog through What To Expect When You're Expecting. So far, it's pretty boring, I'm hoping that the other books on pregnancy/childrearing that I ordered are a little more interesting. :D 

Kind of dropped a lot of what I've been reading to try and slog through What To Expect When You're Expecting. So far, it's pretty boring, I'm hoping that the other books on pregnancy/childrearing that I ordered are a little more interesting. [emoji3] 

What To Expect is a great reference book to go to a out anything you are interested in or concerned about, but I wouldn't recommend reading it (or most pregnancy books) cover to cover.

What I did enjoy during my first pregnancies was reading anthologies of women's birth experiences and experiences parenting infants.

What To Expect is a great reference book to go to a out anything you are interested in or concerned about, but I wouldn't recommend reading it (or most pregnancy books) cover to cover.

What I did enjoy during my first pregnancies was reading anthologies of women's birth experiences and experiences parenting infants.

good to know! :D I basically got it because I had no clue where to start, I'll have to try that out, it just feels so contrary to how I normally read. :D 

I ordered one that's called Bringing up Bebè and I've heard some good things about it, so I want to give it a try. What an adventure!

The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd was really good!  It is based off of real events and historical figures, but it is fictionalized.  It was completely engrossing from start to finish :) .

I think up next I will read Ways of Dying by Zakes Mda, for something different than what I normally read.  I heard about this author from an interview that Barbara Kingsolver did while in South Africa.  I checked it out of the library already, so I'll start soon.  

OK--I'm having quoting fail for some reason. Please ignore that.

I'm currently reading The Night Circus and concurrently re-reading Hugh Howey's Shift so I can read the final installment in the Silo series, Dust.

Just got Common Sense by Thomas Paine and I am excited to read, just didn't have much time recently. :/ And I finished re-reading Persepolis (it's a graphic novel, btw), and it continues to be fantastic. 

I am starting The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  It is about a woman who's cells were "immortal" and have been used to develop medicines, vaccines, lots of things.

I am starting The Immortal life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.  It is about a woman who's cells were "immortal" and have been used to develop medicines, vaccines, lots of things.

I just finished that book. I absolutely loved it!

This was a hugely interesting book that I wasn't able to put down. I read it several months ago. I had heard about that cell line years and years ago, but did not know the entire story. Crazy!

Paradise Lost by John Milton. It is biblical fanfiction and I love it for it. I think it is interesting that now with the changes in philosophy since Milton's day Satan ends up seeming like a good guy.

This was a hugely interesting book that I wasn't able to put down. I read it several months ago. I had heard about that cell line years and years ago, but did not know the entire story. Crazy!

@SpeakNow

Really? I am about 60 pages in and so far not loving it.. does it pick up?

@SpeakNow

Really? I am about 60 pages in and so far not loving it.. does it pick up?

It definitely does.  Without giving too much away, when you start finding out what happened to Elsie and others it gets really interesting.

I decided I need to work on my Spanish cus it's beyond rusty so I'm reading Love in the Time of Cholera en español. Kindle says it's going to take me 20+ hours to finish the book.

I think I can, I think I can. 

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived