IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Wait... they make that? Is it Beau and Edina and Jackie the werewolf? Carly? Rene (as a dude name)? Carlita? Esme (also a dudes name)? Alec? Jasmine? Rogelio? Emma?

Actually, that was fun!

Something like that :lol:

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, so don't judge me, but I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary edition of Twilight with the genderswapped version that you flip the book over to read. I really want to make a drinking game of it, because even though I can already tell it's going to be just as horrible, I'm curious and looking for snark material.

I hated it.

Currently reading the 3d outlander book.

And something called "half bad"

I usually read two or three books at once.

I'm reading Neil Degrasse Tyson's Space Chronicles. It's a compilation of articles he has written in the past, but organized in a way that it flows from topic to topic.

I just finished Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. I enjoyed it, but the epilogue kind of ruined it for me.

I just started All the Light We Cannot See So far I am enjoying it.

I am also rereading While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam is Destroying the West from Within

I frequently read more than one book at a time, but try to keep it at one fiction and one non-fiction. Because I need balance in life. :lol:

I usually read several books at at time too. Right now I'm reading A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, because I absolutely loved Beauty Queens and Going Bovine. I don't think I'm going to love this one as much, but it's pretty good. I am also reading Red Rising because my boss recommended it to me, and he doesn't often recommend books. It's the first in a trilogy (as is the Bray book) so I'll be busy with those for a while. Looking for something good to read in non-fiction. The Degrasse Tyson book sounds good. Oh I'm also reading Let's Pretend This Didn't Happen by Jenny Lawson (the Bloggess) because I love her. :lol: I guess that's sort of non-fiction.

I just started The Diviners by Margaret Laurence and I'm just getting into The Casual Vacancy by J.K Rowling. I keep starting it and then moving onto something else! 

I usually read several books at at time too. Right now I'm reading A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray, because I absolutely loved Beauty Queens and Going Bovine. I don't think I'm going to love this one as much, but it's pretty good. I am also reading Red Rising because my boss recommended it to me, and he doesn't often recommend books. It's the first in a trilogy (as is the Bray book) so I'll be busy with those for a while. Looking for something good to read in non-fiction. The Degrasse Tyson book sounds good. Oh I'm also reading Let's Pretend This Didn't Happen by Jenny Lawson (the Bloggess) because I love her. :lol: I guess that's sort of non-fiction.

I finished the Degrasse Tyson book, and I requested another one of his through the online library.  Highly recommended if you are interested in space!

My book group's November pick is "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle. I read that book when I was in the 4th grade. I'm really looking forward to it. And I didn't even know that there is 5 book series! Bonus reading!!!

I finished the Degrasse Tyson book, and I requested another one of his through the online library.  Highly recommended if you are interested in space!

Oh, I should see if Overdrive has the Degrasse Tyson books.  I have access to ebooks and audiobooks through there through several local libraries.

My book group's November pick is "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle. I read that book when I was in the 4th grade. I'm really looking forward to it. And I didn't even know that there is 5 book series! Bonus reading!!!

I loved loved loved that book as a kid, and read it several times.  The other ones are great too!

catching up from shelter post.  

Finished King's 11/22/1963 (which I bought in November 2013).

Also finished Gerritsen's Gravity (which I read because I wanted to understand why the author tried, unsuccessfully, to sue Warner Bros due to the movie).  

Just submitted my PhD (woop!) so for the first time in years I have time to read for pleasure!

I started with The Reader, which was good, but I thought it worked better as a morality exercise than story wise.

Just finished Foreign Parts by Janice Galloway. Published in 1994 and showing its age a bit, but really moving.

About to start this: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/15/in-the-all-night-cafe-stuart-david-review-belle-and-sebastian-murdoch

On 10/22/2015 at 2:56 PM, MysteryHaggis said:

Just submitted my PhD (woop!) so for the first time in years I have time to read for pleasure!

I started with The Reader, which was good, but I thought it worked better as a morality exercise than story wise.

Just finished Foreign Parts by Janice Galloway. Published in 1994 and showing its age a bit, but really moving.

About to start this: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/15/in-the-all-night-cafe-stuart-david-review-belle-and-sebastian-murdoch

Congrats!!!

On 10/22/2015 at 2:35 PM, beckerbuns said:
On 10/22/2015 at 0:44 AM, RabbitKM said:
On 10/15/2015 at 0:22 PM, beckerbuns said:

Oh, I should see if Overdrive has the Degrasse Tyson books.  I have access to ebooks and audiobooks through there through several local libraries.

I have access to 2 big city library systems on Overdrive, and one of them had a few of his books, and the other (surprisingly) had none.   

Alright, so don't judge me, but I recently picked up the 10th Anniversary edition of Twilight with the genderswapped version that you flip the book over to read. I really want to make a drinking game of it, because even though I can already tell it's going to be just as horrible, I'm curious and looking for snark material.

I hated it.

Currently reading the 3d outlander book.

And something called "half bad"

I usually read two or three books at once.

I made it all the way through the Outlander books. If they keep the series going, it would be interesting to age the actors. 
I'm reading Accidental Saints by Nadia Bolz-Weber, Mozart in the Jungle by Blair Tindall, and Take Good Care of the Garden and the Dogs by Heather Lende, about life in Haines, AK. On my Kindle I'm rereading The Bloodletter's Daughter Linda Lafferty about the crazy Hapsburg Prince, Guglio in Bohemia in the 17th Century. I love to read and it gets me off the computer. 

I am a romance junkie. I will probably buy the new twilight, because I actually enjoyed the books for what they were (light mindless reading). I like light, mindless reading. Love it in fact. I get to escape without having to think about it. If I want to think, I read in French. 

I'm waiting for Mary Balogh and Julia Quinn's new books. On and if anyone here is a Tamora Pierce junkie, so I am waiting for the book about Numair, pre Daine and Wild Magic, called Exile, and I have been waiting for about three years for it. So when that comes out, I will hide on my couch with the book until I've read it cover to cover at least twice. 

A friend loaned me all her "Outlander" books. Was captivated with the first few. The last two were a slog. Perhaps reading them all in a go is too much. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through the last book. I had to put it down for awhile. I couldn't keep the timelines straight with all the other reading I had to do for class (training to be a yoga teacher). Just picked it back up and now I remember why I enjoyed them so much.

I just finished Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (pseudonym for J.K. Rowling), the third book featuring Cormoran Strike. I absolutely loved it. Parts of it were hard to stomach but to me it was very believable and creative. I love the characters.  I'm just a huge fan. I even really liked A Casual Vacancy, although it was not what I'd expected.

Other books I'm about to read include: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and Finnikin of the Rock.

I recently finished Christopher Hitchens' "god Is Not Great."  Blew. Me. Away.  

Currently reading "The Body Keeps the Score" by Dr. Bessel Van der Kolk, about trauma and how the brain and body process it (or don't), and effective therapies and healing processes.  Fantastic book.

I am starting another Neil Degrasse Tyson book, because why not?  Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandaries 

Officially in the middle of "Trigger Warning" by Neil Gaiman & just started reading Ronda Rousey's autobiography. I had started Prince Lestat last October (when it came out), but haven't finished it (& I love Anne Rice, too).  :P

Currently reading "The Body Keeps the Score" by Dr. Bessel Van der Kolk, about trauma and how the brain and body process it (or don't), and effective therapies and healing processes.  Fantastic book.

Thank you for posting, these two are going on my Order Today list! 

Adding the hitchens book to my sample list on the kindle.  Thanks!

Loads and loads of articles about education policies in Central Asia for one of my classes. TLDR: the Soviet Union didn't really take into account that cultures outside of European Russia existed, didn't really train bureaucrats well, schools kinda went all to hell after the fall of the USSR because there was no money, all the teachers were getting the hell out of Dodge, and there were no textbooks in Kazakh/Uzbek/Tajik/Turkmen (since everything was in Russian), even though those were supposed to be the new languages of instruction after independence. Some things have started getting better since independence, but there's a lot more to be done.

It's nothing deep but it was definitely an interesting and juicy read; Down the Rabbit Hole by Holly Madison. It was about her experience living in the Playboy Mansion as one of Hugh Hefners girlfriends.

I'm starting a book for one of my classes called For Today I am a Boy.  It is about the only son of a Chinese family who is transgender.

I just started reading Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill on my tablet. So far, it's completely enthralling. I haven't been able to put it down. 

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived