IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

Tilted World by Tom Franklin and Beth Ann Fennelly. Franklin also wrote Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter which is one of my all time faves.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on my second go-round with Kathryn Joyce's "Child Catchers." I was so incensed the first time that I could hardly absorb what I was reading in any meaningful way.

Next up is "I am Malala," which I've preordered on my Kindle.

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert (I HATED Eat, Pray, Love, but this is fiction)

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell and Stern Men by Elizabeth Gilbert (I HATED Eat, Pray, Love, but this is fiction)

How is Fangirl? Rowell's first book, Attachments, hit the bottom of stupid for me. Didn't help that she named all the characters after local cities/towns including a woman with a hyphenated last name that happens to be a nearby consolidated school's name. If you didn't live near Rowell, I'm sure the names go right by you but Nebraska readers all had to be going "oh, please" along with me! Then the whole stalker plot and the weird choice of time setting which was so transparently just to make the email thing more plausible since people would text now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"The Rogue" by Joe McGinniss. Interesting that Sarah Palin was attending conferences with Gothard and no one brought this up once during the campaign. She is a real piece of work. If she is ever elected to anything again, watch out. She has dictator tendencies.

How is Fangirl? Rowell's first book, Attachments, hit the bottom of stupid for me. Didn't help that she named all the characters after local cities/towns including a woman with a hyphenated last name that happens to be a nearby consolidated school's name. If you didn't live near Rowell, I'm sure the names go right by you but Nebraska readers all had to be going "oh, please" along with me! Then the whole stalker plot and the weird choice of time setting which was so transparently just to make the email thing more plausible since people would text now.

OH God, Attachments was SO BAD. The over-nostalgic use of 1999 and email monitoring/stalking as a plot device made me want to hurt someone. But, Fangirl was adorable. Bonus, it's only $1.40 today for Kindle. As is Elanor & Park, her YA novel.

"The Rogue" by Joe McGinniss. Interesting that Sarah Palin was attending conferences with Gothard and no one brought this up once during the campaign. She is a real piece of work. If she is ever elected to anything again, watch out. She has dictator tendencies.

I haven't read The Rogue, but remember another FJer was reading and she made thread in Snark about Palin's connections to Gothard and IIRC, Palin used one of Gothard's programs when she was mayor of Wasilla.

"The Informer" by Sean O'Callaghan. It's about the author's days as an IRA man and how he decided to turn informer. I'm having to get over my distaste for informers in general (rather than specifically) to read it, but it is certainly very interesting.

I went through a reading spurt this weekend. Finished "still point of a turning world". Read "the good nurse" and "the fault in our stars".

I think I am going to try IQ84 next

Joined a book club recently, and thoroughly enjoyed the first book, "And the Mountain Echoed" by Khaled Husseini (author of The Kite Runner). You've got all these mini story lines that eventually intersect, and a lot of twists and turns that make you rethink whether a character is good or bad.

• 3 weeks later...
Empty Mansions by Bill Dedman. The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Gaiman last week.

How do you like empty mansions? It is my book on tape for my runs that I have been listening to.

11/22/63 by Stephen King. It seemed timely. A very interesting read, for sure. I love reading about that era so it's a lot of fun (we're still pretty far from November 22).

I'm finishing A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. I know I'm late to the party, but so far I'm really enjoying it. My only regret is I watched the series first and it does kill some of the excitement since they follow the books pretty closely, at least so far.

How do you like empty mansions? It is my book on tape for my runs that I have been listening to.

Not NellieBell, but I read it a couple of months ago, and really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard about the story before and caught a blip about it on the Today Show, which peaked my curiosity. Very well-written and engaging.

I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - not sure why, but I watched World Without End on Netflix awhile ago and really enjoyed it, so I decided to give the books a try, and I'm hooked.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived