IGNORED

What are you reading now?

AtroposHeart

His Way by Kitty Kelley. A great snarky read. Waiting in the queue is Game Change by John Heileman and Mark Halperin.

Does anyone know if the Kate Gosselin book will be released?

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Currently: Beyond Belief: My Secret Life Inside Scientology and My Harrowing Escape by Jenna Miscavige Hill

This sounds great. I like anything memoir or biography. I also enjoy history. We checked out David McCulloch's 1776 on CD for the trip we are on.

I bought 6 or 7 books at Goodwill last night. My shelves are full so I'm trying to pass the ones I don't need to keep on to the assisted living home where my mother lives.

Thanks everyone for your reviews! :clapping:

While in Israel, I finished a novel by Hillary Jordan called "When She Woke". It's a resetting of The Scarlet Letter in a sort of Handmaid's Tale-esque fundie future where abortion is outlawed and they have all kinds of horrible high-tech punishments for such "sins". FJ would love it, methinks. I certainly did.

I just finished a few books, mainly compelling personal stories of girls/women and patriarchal systems.

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall

I am Nujood, age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

Betrayed: A terrifying true story of a young woman dragged back to Iraq by her parents to live under threat of death from the ancient custom of honour killing by Latisha Ali

Shamed: The Honour Killing That Shocked Britain – by the Sister Who Fought for Justice

Athwal, Sarbjit Kaur

Lifting the Chaderi: My Life as an Afghan Refugee

Ulrich, Anisa Mahmoud

Currently reading Going Clear and just borrowed The Witness Wore Red.

Just finished reading The Object of My Affection is in My Reflection (recommended by an FJ-er on one of the Imploding Doug threads) and have moved on to a book called The Perfume Lover.

Late to the party here!

Can anyone recommend some good "alternate history" novels in which the South won the Civil War or the Axis won World War II?

Late to the party here!

Can anyone recommend some good "alternate history" novels in which the South won the Civil War or the Axis won World War II?

Dominion by CJ Sansom is set in a 1950s London where the British appeased the Nazis instead of going to war with them (which apparently very nearly happened). It's a freaking scary book, to think how close to reality it could have been.

So many great books to read. My husband is a civil war buff, and I'll recommend that one to him.

To give a little more detail about the books I listed above. Elissa Wall is the woman who was married off at 14 and testified against Warren Jeffs. I'm still new to the workings of FLDS, and wow, was that eye opening. What a brave young woman.

The stories, whether set in Utah or the Punjab, are eerily similar. One main difference is the larger surrounding culture, but then again, the FLDS has done a pretty darn good job of isolating the cult. Another thing that stood out was that while the women are the ones being abused, the men are not completely victimless in all of this. The pressure they are under to control everyone and everything sets up the abuse cycle. Shame and honor are the only two things that matter. Throw the scientologists into the reading mix and my brain is swirling with all the crazy and the sadness for all these damaged lives.

I'm reading the Mrs Pollifax books. They're dated, but good reads. Short, almost novella mysteries, about an older woman, who instead of enjoying her dotage, instead becomes a spy.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started the Jane Ridley book The Heir Apparent. I needed a little history after plowing through two Ronald Kelly books. Damn it's hard to find anything remotely close to King. I do have Joe Hill's Wolverton Station qued up for my next long lunch break. :D

Two excellent crime reads:

Broken Dolls by James Carrol (for fans of Sherlock) and Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes. Awesome reads.

While in Israel, I finished a novel by Hillary Jordan called "When She Woke". It's a resetting of The Scarlet Letter in a sort of Handmaid's Tale-esque fundie future where abortion is outlawed and they have all kinds of horrible high-tech punishments for such "sins". FJ would love it, methinks. I certainly did.

Quoteing this so I can find it again. I'll definitely check When She Woke out. Thanks for the rec!

My husband got me a copy of the Morrissey Autobiography and it's really very good and very interesting. It's written (especially the first 1/3 of the book) in a stream of conscious manner, with jumps back in forth in time. Morrissey can be miserable arse, but it's interesting to see how his childhood and his experiences in the music industry really shaped his miserable arse persona. He can also be incredibly funny and at times quite sensitive. I admit it's a bit of a tough read if you aren't British or you don't have a lot of background on British culture of the 60's, 70's and 80's but if anything comes through it's that Morrissey has a wonderful way with words.

Edited for clarity

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to the library and this week is:

Heaven's for Real (I want to make a post about this, it was nuts)

Songs of the Humpback Whale - Jodi Picoult

The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult

Midwives - Chris B

Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields

Kill or Cure: An Illustrated History of Medicine

I just went to the library and this week is:

Heaven's for Real (I want to make a post about this, it was nuts)

Songs of the Humpback Whale - Jodi Picoult

The Storyteller - Jodi Picoult

Midwives - Chris B

Hitler's Furies: German Women in the Nazi Killing Fields

Kill or Cure: An Illustrated History of Medicine

Please do. I am a practicing Catholic and believe in an afterlife, but the notion that it is proven by the hallucinations or imagination of a small child seems ludicrous. The cynic in me thinks he told Mommy about a dream and she saw $$$ signs.

Of course, I spent too much time in evangelical world where everyone was susceptible to fads and scams and a lot of people profited off of that tendency.

I'm reading horrible fanfiction based on Left Behind (the Christian rapture novels).

Snarkworthy quote for you guys, between the Mary Sue OC and Chloe Steele:

"our heavenely FATHER please give us strenth to face the evil that come upon us and thank u for this frito pie, AMEN," said Alesse.

"amen! Let's eat" said Chloe

Please do. I am a practicing Catholic and believe in an afterlife, but the notion that it is proven by the hallucinations or imagination of a small child seems ludicrous. The cynic in me thinks he told Mommy about a dream and she saw $$$ signs.

Of course, I spent too much time in evangelical world where everyone was susceptible to fads and scams and a lot of people profited off of that tendency.

I'm a practicing Catholic as well, and I was aghast. Their child nearly died of their own doing.

Thanks to an FJ rec, I'm reading Mara Hvistendahl's "Unnatural Selection: Choosing Boys Over Girls, and the Consequences of a World Full of Men." Just a little bit of light reading to pass the time. :shock:

And to offset it, Jenny Lawson's "Let's Pretend This Never Happened."

I'm an oddball and will re-read books I particularly love in between and along with new books. Some books I re-read again and again. For me it's like visiting an old friend. Tonight I'm starting a (probably first of a couple this year) re-read of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. I find that for the format and length of the novel, the characters are so rich and endearing.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived