IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

On 2/15/2017 at 9:47 AM, Fighter said:

Homeschooled kids are accepted at  some colleges. They have to take the acceptance tests but colleges do accept them and not just Crown College!

On 2/17/2017 at 3:29 AM, Purrl said:

When my daughter visited college or job fairs there was a lot of interest in her as a homeschooled student. Many are known for their work ethic and for being self-starters. 

By acceptance tests do you mean SAT and ACT? I know some colleges have their own entrance tests but many do not. And I know some homeschoolers get into good colleges but I've seen SO many struggle. Some I grew up with had trouble even getting into the local, small community college. I know a lot of it depends on how well the parents have done the schooling, but in general I don't think being a homeschooler is a plus. And I highly doubt someone who was homeschooled pitifully with those dumb "wisdom books"  like Jana could get into a mainstream college. She might possibly get in based on her fame status? 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Community  colleges around us have remedial classes, then you can go on and get a two year associate degree which will get you in to a 4 year university.

Around here too. I took some of the remedial classes, they were nice and met nicely with the college classes.

I think most of the adult Duggars would benefit from technical college programs. Where you can get a two year degree and go right into your chosen field, or consider going to a 4 year after your associates is completed. 

I'm not trying to debate, just to inform. Those children you mention were not "homeschooled" they were kept home from school. There's a big difference. Just like anything, you get what you put into it. There are also many, many public & privately schooled children that cannot make it into college.

The young adults my daughter's age who were in our homeschool group have a variety of jobs/careers. One girl is a pharmacist, many boys & girls are nurses, two boys are in medical school, many are actually school teachers with real degrees at real schools and their students are benefiting from their teachers' homeschooling experience, some boys and girls are firefighters and police officers, some are budding politicians or preachers, some are stay at home moms or even dads, some are secretaries, businessmen, tradespeople, shop owners, and more. Quite a few are successfully self-employed. But, there are also some who are homeless, some who are drug addicts, some who have just disappeared (not really, but from our lives). Our group was a good group, a religious group that did contain some, actually probably more, "fundies" than us regular folks and luckily most of the kids are still successes- Just like in real life.

Edited to add: In case anyone wonders or cares :my_smile:. Without getting too personal, my daughter does have a college degree. She even did studies in France and NY City before moving back to the sticks. She is currently a SAHM who has a very successful online shop, as do I. Something else she learned about in our homeschool. 

I do not have a college degree, attended public school, have never lived anywhere but in this podunk, redneck town in the south. I got married at 18 to a 19 year old boyman, am still married many, many years later and we are still happy and attracted to each other. It does happen! Not to say there weren't tough times, but we survived. We also left our family size up to God. Thankfully, he decided we only needed one child. :content: So much of life (for me) is God, or if you prefer, sheer luck.

Now, that is all.

On 2/12/2017 at 6:38 PM, AnnaRuk09 said:

Kinda playing devil's advocate, but perhaps Jana really does like to spend time watching over the S/M/J-kiddos? She always has a baby on her. I doubt they force her to carry babies around. She has said she loves babies. Or maybe she just doesn't care for the cameras? As long as she is happy I guess, and that's something we just can't know to the fullest extent. I hope 2017 is finally her year though. Still hard to believe she's the last (older) Duggar daughter left!

The culture forces these women to carry a baby on their hip all the time. They are indoctrinated since birth with strict gender roles and the understanding that a woman's value is in being a help meet to her husband, being a mother to dozens and before that, as a SAHD serving her family. 

This gal literally has zero choice. Unless she was an unusually intelligent, strong and determined person, her chance of even beginning to contemplate a different future or role is incredibly small. 

It's a paradox because performing the gender constructs  of her culture, which are constantly reinforced by praise and accolades for those who adhere to such constructs, is likely comforting to women like Jana. And the mere hint of deviating from those roles is likely very stress producing. 

But facing a life of endless, lonely childcare, or if you're "lucky" to find a husband, endless bloat from pregnancy and childcare in your own home, can be unendurable for many living that life. Yet they have no voice so no mechanism for resisting such a fate. 

I don't think there's any way we can assume Jana is at all satisfied or content with her current lot in life as an unmarried caretaker of her siblings and parents' household, watching any chance of attaining real status in her culture, slipping away with the years. 

As someone said, Jana doesn't have many opportunities to meet members of the opposite sex and as her parents desperately need a caregiver for their kids and housekeeper, it's unlikely daddy will facilitate a romance for her as he did with Jill. Jana's extreme shyness makes a match more unlikely. 

I think her wistfully sad face tells us what's really going on with her. It's got to be a lonely, boring life of drudgery, living in her childhood, little-girl bedroom and not being able to have a mate to hold her or kiss her or to have sex with, as she watches her sisters move on in the fundie, female life path, while having no such prospects of her own. 

On 2/11/2017 at 5:20 AM, VeganCupcake said:

I googled the Tim guy, he looks so damn old! And creepy as well, I wonder WHY is Tabitha marrying him? It's very bizarre. 

@theilnana I also hope Jana will use the money from whatever venture she's doing with the tattoo building to gain more independence. I mean think about it how can she leave? She can't move off to college because of her lack if education. I doubt her earnings from the book & show would last long if she had to pay rent, bills, etc with no help from the parents. It makes me SO angry how funny parents ruin their kids chances at going to college by denying them a decent education. 

I believe her father controls her money. Womennin that culture are either "cleaved" to their father headship, husband headship or next living male relative if neither of those are alive. They must be led by a male and cannot be independent. 

Any woman in this culture who tried to leave and become independent would likely be shunned to a large degree. 

I remember watching the episode where the girls' room got redecorated and JB did not want to paint over the big ass horse on one of the walls. Jana wanted that horse gone! She even dragged the Boob's paint roller over it. I know it came off playful, but I'm sure a 25/26 year old woman would be embarrassed to have a horse painting geared towards little girls on their wall. I really hope her parents let her stay in Grandma Duggar's old room now that she's the only older girl living at home. She needs a chance to unwind every night and just relax.....with a glass of wine, but I guess coffee will do.

Also, I think don't think Jana is thaaaat shy. I mean, she can be introverted to an extent but I noticed she has quite a bit of friends outside of her family. I don't think her quietness will get in the way of her finding someone. 

40 minutes ago, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Also, I think don't think Jana is thaaaat shy. I mean, she can be introverted to an extent but I noticed she has quite a bit of friends outside of her family. I don't think her quietness will get in the way of her finding someone.

People tend to forget that introvert =/= shy. I'm an introvert, in that I prefer to stay in than go out and party, and I need time to unwind after socializing. It doesn't mean I have no friends or that I'm socially awkward. I'm actually pretty outgoing (although I am awkward, haha), I'm just also on the quiet side, like Jana. 

It just sucks for Jana and the other introverted Duggars since they have nowhere to go to unwind. I'd go crazy if I couldn't retreat to my bedroom for some alone time. 

Jana is no shyer than Michael Bates and one of the more attractive females. She does seem more cautious than her sisters, and so she may have passed on some less appealing options / not 'noticed' some interest from more appealing suitors. I see her as less likely to encourage/ask for a 'getting to know you period' than her sisters. Jill and Jessa had to take some action RE Ben and Derick. I also think that it is hard for JB to facilitate more than 2 courtships at a time so in some sense there may have been some bad timing with Jessa and Jill being first.

On 2/16/2017 at 3:38 PM, CatchThatCow said:

Oh please, PLEASE let this be true. There are reports that Jana got some mighty fine roses for Valentines Day. She deserves to be happy. I can't paste the link, sorry, but google Jana and you'll see the photo. She looks really happy. 

I have a hard time understanding the optimism of many who have closely followed this family and are aware of their culture. The Instagram post is pretty clear that the flowers poor Jana to were a "different" (Godly and not romantic) way of celebrating Valentine's Day and concentrating on God being our first lover or whatever. 

There is no indication that this poor gal has a suitor. 

3 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

Jana is no shyer than Michael Bates and one of the more attractive females. She does seem more cautious than her sisters, and so she may have passed on some less appealing options / not 'noticed' some interest from more appealing suitors. I see her as less likely to encourage/ask for a 'getting to know you period' than her sisters. Jill and Jessa had to take some action RE Ben and Derick. I also think that it is hard for JB to facilitate more than 2 courtships at a time so in some sense there may have been some bad timing with Jessa and Jill being first.

I don't know. I think she's much shyer. Or perhaps a better phrase is less confident. Michael Bates is maybe quieter than some. I'd say more mature and determined. Watching her competently organize people and steadfastly state her opinions and what she will and will not accept shows me a confidence lacking in most of the Duggar women. 

I don't know that Jana is a natural introvert. Recalling anecdotes from her mother or siblings, she was a willful child who was in trouble a lot. Had to be "corrected."

Reading between the lines I would say that as one of the first kids of two religious zealots who were intent on raising Godly kids, Jana was likely subject to the worst of the Pearl method and had to deal with more of her parents' one on one attention regarding her behavior than quieter kids or than later sets.

Frankly, I think the personality was whipped out of her with a flexible ruler or whatever. She seems intelligent and capable but appears unsure and easily cowed when her opinions are ignored or shut down. 

I don't think Jana is the type to easily attract notice in the competitive world of fundie women who struggle to find opportunities to interact with the opposite sex. 

And as the primary wife and mother at the TTH, she misses the rare opportunities others like Jinger have to show off their "servant's hearts" in front of available men. 

3 hours ago, jqlgoblue said:

That, definately! Plus I see Jana as the most stubborn sister, which is just the impression I got from her watching the show.  I think she has a ready image of her future husband in her head and until now noone measured up to her standards. Which is of course a good thing, noone should settle just to be married, *cough cough to her sisters?*. Part of it may also be her not wanting 10 or more children.

18 hours ago, Purrl said:

I'm not trying to debate, just to inform. Those children you mention were not "homeschooled" they were kept home from school. There's a big difference. Just like anything, you get what you put into it. There are also many, many public & privately schooled children that cannot make it into college.

The young adults my daughter's age who were in our homeschool group have a variety of jobs/careers. One girl is a pharmacist, many boys & girls are nurses, two boys are in medical school, many are actually school teachers with real degrees at real schools and their students are benefiting from their teachers' homeschooling experience, some boys and girls are firefighters and police officers, some are budding politicians or preachers, some are stay at home moms or even dads, some are secretaries, businessmen, tradespeople, shop owners, and more. Quite a few are successfully self-employed. But, there are also some who are homeless, some who are drug addicts, some who have just disappeared (not really, but from our lives). Our group was a good group, a religious group that did contain some, actually probably more, "fundies" than us regular folks and luckily most of the kids are still successes- Just like in real life.

Edited to add: In case anyone wonders or cares :my_smile:. Without getting too personal, my daughter does have a college degree. She even did studies in France and NY City before moving back to the sticks. She is currently a SAHM who has a very successful online shop, as do I. Something else she learned about in our homeschool. 

I do not have a college degree, attended public school, have never lived anywhere but in this podunk, redneck town in the south. I got married at 18 to a 19 year old boyman, am still married many, many years later and we are still happy and attracted to each other. It does happen! Not to say there weren't tough times, but we survived. We also left our family size up to God. Thankfully, he decided we only needed one child. :content: So much of life (for me) is God, or if you prefer, sheer luck.

Now, that is all.

Lucky for you that God didn't decide to give you as many as he gave Andrea Yates. He blessed her with pregnancy after pregnancy despite her growing post-partum psychosis. 

The reality is that the inability to engage in family plannning is a major factor in extreme poverty and poor health care among women all over the world, including the US.  

It also tends to go hand in hand with a higher risk of domestic violence and all forms of child abuse. 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:42 PM, amendgitan said:
I believe her father controls her money. Womennin that culture are either "cleaved" to their father headship, husband headship or next living male relative if neither of those are alive. They must be led by a male and cannot be independent. 
Any woman in this culture who tried to leave and become independent would likely be shunned to a large degree. 

You have no idea how much I hope that Jana marries a liberal who says the right things to JB, just to get to Jana, then marries her and says no kids till you go to a real college.. and let's her see what the world is really like. With her not jumping for the first man that came her way... Hopefully she can actually be saved. Only problem is, I don't know a man, who would be attracted to her, that would want to free her. I think any man that marries a women that is so submissive has there own issues. They certainly don't want a equal in life.

2 hours ago, jbrosenfeld said:

You have no idea how much I hope that Jana marries a liberal who says the right things to JB, just to get to Jana, then marries her and says no kids till you go to a real college.. and let's her see what the world is really like. 

So does Jana get a choice in this matter? Is she aware before she marries this guy that he's going to dictate her reproductive and educational decisions to her? Is that 'what the world is really like', some guy who dismisses everything you believe in, lies to your father to 'win' you, marries you and then tells you exactly what you're going to do with your life and 'how the world works' because he, in his enlightened liberal ways, knows best?

I really, really hate the narrative of men swooping in to save these women. Lying to JB is one thing, but lying to the woman herself with the end goal of "freeing" her doesn't make him a savior, it makes him a sociopath. The last thing they need is some dude with a God complex who plays fast and loose with the truth marrying them to dictate that they're no longer fundamentalists, they're now going to live by his superior liberal rules. And if any of these girls somehow become liberals and want to lead a more liberal life, guess what? They don't need Progressive Prince Charming to swoop in and save them. They can move out, establish themselves in the world, and form relationships on their own terms.

I feel kind of bad either way.  I mean, if Jana *thinks* she's marrying a guy who fits in with the fundie life, gets married, and in turn realizes it was a sham to get her out?  Yeah, to me that's just as douchebaggy as if a hardcore fundie sees her as nothing more than a fundie princess prize.  Either way, sucks for Jana.

Obviously it would be nice to find a guy in the middle.  Maybe a conservative (in his beliefs, not social media bullying) Christian, who is a hardworker (like she said she wanted, "a guy who works with his hands"), who knows of her, but isn't a superfan.  I mean, even Jeremy comes across as not a 19KaC viewer with his comments about not knowing their courtship rules, and what traveling looked like for them growing up.  Luckily JimBob doesn't seem to mind if his son in laws aren't ATI/IBLP.

So whoever he is, they get married, settle on a hobby farm where Jana spends her days gardening and selling Pinteresty jars of creations out of her hobby shop next door.  I think she'll enjoy time away from the cameras after the wedding, and appear sporadically on the show.  If she does have social media, it might be Pinterest and Instagram - something to show off her creative side, vs. interacting with fans.  I think she'd be happy.

Who knows if it'll happen, but that'd be my hope (in realistic expectations) :)

ETA @singsingsing you and I were thinking the same thing ;)

It is really sad that she can only choose from a small group of available men, who have earned JB's seal of approval. It must be a mediocre bunch as she's turned them all down. I think JB loves Jana but what he thinks is best for her is a crazy way to live. I hope she finds "the one" because the thought of her forever trapped in that house breaks my heart. I was initially excited about the tattoo parlor, but she can't leave the house without an accountability buddy so how the hell could she run a business? I guess they're going to do something with that property since she discussed it on the clip show. I guess we will see, when TLC finally stops airing Jinger's wedding. Oh and I hate that Joy is courting. Hate. It. Too young. 

Slightly off topic but!:

I had a dream last night that I lived in NWA Arkansas and somehow was Jana's chaperone cause she was courting this guy named Jonas who was like 27-28. They met similar to how Whitney and Zach Bates met and I remember being really surprised that Jboob allowed that at all. We had a group chat and I remember them not being too annoying or overly sweet.

I have a suspicion Jana is like a cousin of mine. She is in a similiar predicament i.e 29 unmarried except different religion. Anyway my cousin is holding out because she is being given unsuitable candidates i.e too uneducated/not well off enough. Maybe jana wants a guy with a good job/independence and not another religious preacher. My theory is she wants to still follow the religion i.e lots of kids, but a guy that can provide properly and she's waiting because it contracts her child bearing years? 

On 2/23/2017 at 8:45 PM, killingxspree said:

I have a suspicion Jana is like a cousin of mine. She is in a similiar predicament i.e 29 unmarried except different religion. Anyway my cousin is holding out because she is being given unsuitable candidates i.e too uneducated/not well off enough. Maybe jana wants a guy with a good job/independence and not another religious preacher. My theory is she wants to still follow the religion i.e lots of kids, but a guy that can provide properly and she's waiting because it contracts her child bearing years? 

Jana has said before that she's into country hardworking guys who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, I think no one like that has been interesting in courting a duggar girl, let along go through Jim Bob's rigorous screening test.

Look at the guys Jill, Jessa and Jinger married, they're all pretty vain prissy guys who want to be famous preachers and religious leaders and haven't ever done any hard work in their lives. I don't know if its the guys that JB lets through or if its just those kind of guys are interested in a duggar lady but they seem to be the only ones for courting. 

I think if Jana is going to hold out for a hardworking humble guy good for her! But she'd be better off finding one around town than waiting for one to come though her dear old dad's screening process.

I believe Jana said that JD would be a good matchmaker for her and she's right. I think JD is her best chance of finding a good match and convincing JB to let the guy go through the screening process without a lot of nonsense. I guess not being a Gothard follower is a deal breaker? 

16 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

I believe Jana said that JD would be a good matchmaker for her and she's right. I think JD is her best chance of finding a good match and convincing JB to let the guy go through the screening process without a lot of nonsense. I guess not being a Gothard follower is a deal breaker? 

This is so interesting. John David has lots of fundie friends in the private pilot community that we don't hear much about. There's Logan Smith, Chad Gallagher's son whose name I don't know, and somebody in Mena, AR he recently took to Hattiesburg, MS (there's a fundie flight school there). I don't know how old these guys are, though. Hmmm... And of course there are even more friends we're not aware of. Double hmmm...

17 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

I agree. I think they are each others best matchmaker at this point.

Also, JD has to be the "funnest" Duggar. He seems to be all of the BIL's fave brother (except Derick, but I'm convinced that he's a few cards short of a full deck). JD had a good rapport with Jeremy, is friends with Austin, and was in the Benessa wedding. I think he's the only brother to "make the cut" for all of the wedding parties. 

It seems that someone has realized that Jana is too old to share a room with all of those little girls. While it's not the same as having her own room, you can see that when remodeling, Jana's bed went into that alcove (and it's the only one in there) and they used a dresser to block the little hole to the other part of the room. Her space has three walls to herself.

On 2/22/2017 at 7:41 AM, singsingsing said:

So does Jana get a choice in this matter? Is she aware before she marries this guy that he's going to dictate her reproductive and educational decisions to her? Is that 'what the world is really like', some guy who dismisses everything you believe in, lies to your father to 'win' you, marries you and then tells you exactly what you're going to do with your life and 'how the world works' because he, in his enlightened liberal ways, knows best?

I really, really hate the narrative of men swooping in to save these women. Lying to JB is one thing, but lying to the woman herself with the end goal of "freeing" her doesn't make him a savior, it makes him a sociopath. The last thing they need is some dude with a God complex who plays fast and loose with the truth marrying them to dictate that they're no longer fundamentalists, they're now going to live by his superior liberal rules. And if any of these girls somehow become liberals and want to lead a more liberal life, guess what? They don't need Progressive Prince Charming to swoop in and save them. They can move out, establish themselves in the world, and form relationships on their own terms.

I agree totally. For me, the appeal of progressive Prince Charming is that these sisters could still maintain a relationship with their siblings if they marry a more liberal Christian, whereas literally breaking free would mean losing the only people they've ever known. Of course, maybe that's not such a bad thing! 

On 2/26/2017 at 0:33 PM, Bim said:

Jana has said before that she's into country hardworking guys who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, I think no one like that has been interesting in courting a duggar girl, let along go through Jim Bob's rigorous screening test.

Look at the guys Jill, Jessa and Jinger married, they're all pretty vain prissy guys who want to be famous preachers and religious leaders and haven't ever done any hard work in their lives. I don't know if its the guys that JB lets through or if its just those kind of guys are interested in a duggar lady but they seem to be the only ones for courting. 

I think if Jana is going to hold out for a hardworking humble guy good for her! But she'd be better off finding one around town than waiting for one to come though her dear old dad's screening process.

I think Austin fits this, the boys say he's very country, the guy obviously works with his hands, flipping houses, working his parents "ranch"  dozing (what ever that hell that is) he's a country jack of all trades, my Uncle & & cousins are like this, they do a little bit of everything, and they are happy as clams doing it. If he is truly is like my cousins he will have a fantastic house that he builds with his own hands in a few years for him & Joy to live in.  She needs someone like this only 5 to 10 years older. 

3 hours ago, Kelsey said:

It seems that someone has realized that Jana is too old to share a room with all of those little girls. While it's not the same as having her own room, you can see that when remodeling, Jana's bed went into that alcove (and it's the only one in there) and they used a dresser to block the little hole to the other part of the room. Her space has three walls to herself.

That renovation happened a while ago, but Anna took it over for several months while Josh was in prayhab.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived