IGNORED

Jana's Future 3 - Baking and Real Estate

DaisyD

On 2/18/2017 at 9:19 PM, Purrl said:

I'm not trying to debate, just to inform. Those children you mention were not "homeschooled" they were kept home from school. There's a big difference. Just like anything, you get what you put into it. There are also many, many public & privately schooled children that cannot make it into college.

That's a good point, there is a difference. But to adequately school all their children and prepare them for college, the parent must UNUSUALLY intelligent, motivated, and organized. A lot also depends on the child's natural aptitude. Now for homeschool groups that are run more like a private Christian school where actual classes are taught by an expert in hat subject, success rate us probably higher. But I doubt a parent exists with the knowledge and teaching skills to do it all. 

Also sadly many (dare I say most?) homeschool families are like the Duggars' and also mine: unmanageable number of children, teacher-mom constantly caring for a newborn, & kids barely getting any work done. My mom and most of her friends flat out lied on the state's "attendance reports" where you list how many hours of school your kids did. 

On 2/18/2017 at 11:43 PM, Eatingintheprayercloset said:

Grandma Duggar's old room now that she's the only older girl living at home. She needs a chance to unwind every night and just relax.....with a glass of wine, but I guess coffee will do. 

Did Grandma Duggar move out? I'm sure she's still living, right? 

On 2/18/2017 at 9:42 PM, amendgitan said:

The culture forces these women to carry a baby on their hip all the time. They are indoctrinated since birth with strict gender roles and the understanding that a woman's value is in being a help meet to her husband, being a mother to dozens and before that, as a SAHD serving her family.  

True. You know what I have just considered about this fundie culture, the men have so many less demands placed on them. They aren't expected to get college degrees or full-time jobs where they have to be on someone else's schedule. Jana has been practically managing a day-care for YEARS. Derick & Ben don't seem to do much of anything. 

About the tattoo parlor, I'm sure Jana was/is planning to convert it into something else more Duggar-approved LOL. I'm very glad to see her investing in something of her own! 

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just watching the "all about jinger" episode now, and i'm surprised that there was so much focus here on the supposed "shade" jana was throwing at jill.  i didn't see much of that at all - what jumped out at me was a couple of minutes later when jill kept pushing jana to claim her stuff that jinger was packing up, saying 'no that's yours!' i thought that was actually kind of sweet, like she was looking out for jana bc she knew she wouldn't stick up for herself.  she may be bossy, but i'm glad someone is willing to be pushy on jana's behalf. 

Sometimes I take a loooooong ride on the speculation bus and wonder if there was ever a guy Jana crushed on that she hoped would show an interest and ask to court, but he never did for whatever reason.

I could see a situation where she compares all potential suitors to that one "perfect" guy.

I suppose, for me, this is just one of many possible explanations for why Jana hasn't courted yet, and the truth probably lies closer to what has been said by Jana herself - the right guy just hasn't come along yet.

I do have to wonder though, if Jana gets married and "leaves and cleaves", who would babysit the younger Duggars when JB & M are gone? I doubt they'd let the older boys do it after what happened with Josh. Would they call up one of the married sisters? Make Grandma Duggar or Anna do it? Or does this mean that with Joy engaged, Jana may be stuck for a while?

I think they would happily let Jana marry. The $$ from another TLC wedding outweighs having her around, not to mention it is her destiny as a fundie daughter. The Duggars are comfortable with a lot of chaos and I think the kids are old enough they actually don't need her as much as we think. Anna, Jessa and Joy will be close enough to help / take littles, there is always another Tabitha type to come stay, and I do actually think there are older boys they trust with the littles.

I do think there was a time that they weren't ready to let Jana go... likely around when Jill/Jessa married... and those were the best marrying years for a fundie. I'm sure once Joy is married JB will ramp up the search for Jana. Perhaps Jinger or Jessa can help as they now run in slightly expanded circles.

I think a three or four years ago they were "holding onto" Jana, but I think they'd let her go now. The money and attention they'd get from marrying off Cinderjana is worth more to them than the benefits of keeping her around. The lost girls are mostly self sufficient and Hannie is the perfect age to have her spark beaten out of her and be trained up to be an AuntMom to Jessa's kids or the M kids, with Jenny and Jordyn not far behind. 

I think at this point, Jana is being picky. And I don't mean that in a negative way. People always accused me of being picky before I met Mr LBE, and I completely own that I was extremely picky and refused to "settle" for Mr "Good Enough, I guess" instead of someone I genuinely liked and saw myself being happy with. I think it is good to be picky when it comes to choosing a life partner. If she is waiting for someone she genuinely likes and sees herself being happy with instead of marrying the first cute enough Christian guy to offer her a ticket out of the TTH (*cough jessa cough*), that's a good thing. 

Plus I think Jana has hit the point where she has actually got it pretty good at the TTH now. Sure, she is stuck in the room with her little sisters, but she seems 'trusted' by Boob and J'Chelle which buys her some (albeit limited) freedom (she has the Wifi password after all and is basically "in charge" most of the time), she doesn't have to go work like most women her age and is free to hang around with Sierra getting FroYo or whaever, and every year she stays unmarried is one less baby she is expected to add to her brood. She's already 27, that's ~5 or so babies she's managed to avoid having by staying unmarried. Jessa could easily have 4 kids (more if she has a twin pregnancy) by the time she's Jana's age. She has put herself in a good position to have a manageable size family. 

4 hours ago, GoddessOfVictory said:

Sometimes I take a loooooong ride on the speculation bus and wonder if there was ever a guy Jana crushed on that she hoped would show an interest and ask to court, but he never did for whatever reason.

I could see a situation where she compares all potential suitors to that one "perfect" guy.

There was (pure) speculation on whether Jana had a crush on one of the TLC crew members a few years back when Josh was courting Anna. His name is Frank Sun and he was shown in one of the episode, where the Duggars had chicken pox and the crew members had to ask their parents if they had gotten it as a child. I understand that he is not part of the crew anymore as he was not fundie (enough). I read somewhere here on freejinger that over the years the crew became almost as fundie as the Duggars themselves, starting with Michelle actually getting a gay guy fired from the crew in the very beginning of the show.

9 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Plus I think Jana has hit the point where she has actually got it pretty good at the TTH now. Sure, she is stuck in the room with her little sisters, but she seems 'trusted' by Boob and J'Chelle which buys her some (albeit limited) freedom (she has the Wifi password after all and is basically "in charge" most of the time), she doesn't have to go work like most women her age and is free to hang around with Sierra getting FroYo or whaever, and every year she stays unmarried is one less baby she is expected to add to her brood. She's already 27, that's ~5 or so babies she's managed to avoid having by staying unmarried. Jessa could easily have 4 kids (more if she has a twin pregnancy) by the time she's Jana's age. She has put herself in a good position to have a manageable size family. 

Totally, totally agree. A lot of people seem to think that Jana is not allowed to marry, but I don't see that as the case. It's not like the Duggars are hard up for help at the culthouse; they have Grandma, the live in nanny, Jessa who is over all the time, Johannah is old enough now, etc. I think that Jana is living pretty good by fundie standards. She gets a lot of freedom: we've seen her on pinterest, so she understands and is allowed to use the internet. She has many friends outside of her family. And she gets money to do projects she wants, such as renovating a tattoo parlor. It's not ideal, but as far as the fundie life goes, I think it's not too bad. 

If Jana marries anytime soon, I think we'll see a similar pattern to the Bates; every time a married adult comes to visit they leave with a younger sibling to come "hang out." On longer trips where the parents will be gone the younger kids are divided among older married siblings to care for.

Josie is 7. Even growing up in a non-fundie, non-cult, non-sistermom household, by 7 I was fully capable of making a few different things to eat for breakfast and dinner. I vacuumed, mopped, etc. The only chore I couldn't do was laundry and that's because we had a top loader and I literally just wasn't big enough to reach and when pulling things out of the bottom to switch to the dryer I had to dangle into the washer and it made my parents nervous lol. Yes, it's still an abnormally large household that needs constant work and organization, with kids needing supervision, but none of the "little kids" should be completely dependent on anyone. 

10 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

I think at this point, Jana is being picky. And I don't mean that in a negative way. People always accused me of being picky before I met Mr LBE, and I completely own that I was extremely picky and refused to "settle" for Mr "Good Enough, I guess" instead of someone I genuinely liked and saw myself being happy with. I think it is good to be picky when it comes to choosing a life partner. 

Absolutely! If you're not allowed to be picky with this, when else should you be? 

50 minutes ago, Casserole said:

The only chore I couldn't do was laundry and that's because we had a top loader and I literally just wasn't big enough to reach and when pulling things out of the bottom to switch to the dryer I had to dangle into the washer and it made my parents nervous lol.

i still have to do that! my kids had to do their own laundry when they were old enough to reach the knobs, around age 10 or so...

One thing to consider for Jana is that she has mothered the littles for years; in essence she IS their mother, and she might not be emotionally ready to let go of them.  The other girls were also extremely attached to the littles, I'm sure, but when they left, they knew Jana would still be there taking care of them, so lesser guilt factor.  

1 hour ago, buggers said:

A lot of people seem to think that Jana is not allowed to marry, but I don't see that as the case. It's not like the Duggars are hard up for help at the culthouse; they have Grandma, the live in nanny, Jessa who is over all the time, Johannah is old enough now, etc. I think that Jana is living pretty good by fundie standards. 

I don't disagree that Jana's workload is probably lighter than it has been for years, but last I heard Grandma Duggar is not living at the TTH, Tabitha Paine is engaged and not at the Duggars' (but hopefully will soon be un-engaged, God willing), and Jessa seems to come to the TTH for company and to get help, not to give help. So, it's hard to say how well they'll cope when she leaves. :confusion-shrug:

3 hours ago, buggers said:

Totally, totally agree. A lot of people seem to think that Jana is not allowed to marry, but I don't see that as the case. It's not like the Duggars are hard up for help at the culthouse; they have Grandma, the live in nanny, Jessa who is over all the time, Johannah is old enough now, etc. I think that Jana is living pretty good by fundie standards. She gets a lot of freedom: we've seen her on pinterest, so she understands and is allowed to use the internet. She has many friends outside of her family. And she gets money to do projects she wants, such as renovating a tattoo parlor. It's not ideal, but as far as the fundie life goes, I think it's not too bad. 

I think GM Mary and the live- in are  both now gone. When Joy leaves, Jana will be the only adult woman other than Michelle.

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

RE @eveandadam's point - do crew members working on the Duggar's show really have to be, well, conservative Christians, I guess?

Are they allowed to mandate that?

Yes, TLC has accommodated them on that. The gay crew member they objected to early on was moved to another show.

I wonder if she's had failed courtship. A few years ago, duggars.tumblr claimed that the Duggars asked them to take down a photo of Jana and a guy. Amazingly, the photo can't b e found anywhere(?). The same thing happened to Jill and Jessa, but those photos were everywhere and there was nothing the Duggars could do about it. 

I don't know what is going on with Jana, but I hope she isn't desperate to get married .I fear she will be in an arranged marriage. I would be surprised if Jana and her parents are trying hard to find someone now. The older girls are married and engaged, it looks like at least one of her younger brothers is courting, and her twin could be close to courting(just speculation). Every time one of her sibling is courting everyone mentions poor Jana. Don't be surprised if Jana is engaged before the year is over.

3 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think GM Mary and the live- in are  both now gone. When Joy leaves, Jana will be the only adult woman other than Michelle.

Fixed that for ya!

I hope Jana is being picky. As was stated by others, we should be picky about our spouses.

Maybe Jana feels a stronger sense of obligation to her family than her younger siblings. It seems she's used to greater responsibility than her younger siblings and so is used to that. I doubt the J'Chelle is outright banning Jana from being married - and I suppose there are other factors - but being the first daughter in a large fundie family may mean feeling attached to family in a way her other siblings aren't

I remember a former member of the Quiverfull movement talks about being the oldest daughter and how she was luck to not be stuck at home because eldest daughters are often recruited into being 2nd moms. Also explains why Michaela Bates got married older than her younger sisters.

7 hours ago, seraaa said:

do crew members working on the Duggar's show really have to be, well, conservative Christians, I guess?

Nah. John Rotan was prominently featured on the show for years and he's liberal: https://www.facebook.com/rotan21

Scroll down to his post after the elections in November.

So maybe they just have to be Christian? One of the articles he shared was by a Christian( I think pastor?) about post-election.

6 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Yes, TLC has accommodated them on that. The gay crew member they objected to early on was moved to another show.

Everyone knows that "gay" is contagious, just like   chicken pox. Big brothers who molest are OK, though.

On March 6, 2017 at 1:51 AM, eveandadam said:

There was (pure) speculation on whether Jana had a crush on one of the TLC crew members a few years back when Josh was courting Anna. His name is Frank Sun and he was shown in one of the episode, where the Duggars had chicken pox and the crew members had to ask their parents if they had gotten it as a child. I understand that he is not part of the crew anymore as he was not fundie (enough).

I looked him up. He's soooo cute! 

On March 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Kira said:

I wonder if she's had failed courtship. A few years ago, duggars.tumblr claimed that the Duggars asked them to take down a photo of Jana and a guy. Amazingly, the photo can't b e found anywhere(?). The same thing happened to Jill and Jessa, but those photos were everywhere and there was nothing the Duggars could do about it. 

I'm late to the party. Jill and Jessa had failed courtships? With who? 

17 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

I'm late to the party. Jill and Jessa had failed courtships? With who? 

None of the Duggar daughters had any failed courtships that we know of. I think the poster may have meant that photos of them with Ben and Derick were published before the courtships were announced, and they were taken down. I do remember photos of Ben and Derick being shared before the courtships were announced, but I personally don't remember whether any of these sites removed the photos or not.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think the poster may have meant that photos of them with Ben and Derick were published before the courtships were announced, and they were taken down.

Oh, I get it now. Thanks! 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived