IGNORED

Bates Family Part 9

Boogalou

I happy to realize that Alyssa isn't pregnant!  And I guess I am in the minority, but I kinda like Carlin's dress--is that some sort of  rhinestone embellishment on her right shoulder?  Since she seems to have been happy to set her shoulders free, I can see her embracing pants in her future (which, sadly, I guess will only come with marriage).

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

The problem with Carlin pulling an Alyssa is that Gil has made it clear her only chance of escape is marriage. So she will need to find a man her dad approves who also will approve of her dressing like that. Alyssa lucked out that she quickly after turning 18 found an ATI guy who was like that. There are plenty of other ATI guys like that, but it is a really bad idea to rush into marriage just to leave home. 

Of course, there is always the chance one of these daughters is going to realize that they have more options in life than the two Gil and Kelly have told them they have and decide to break away from the family, but, like with the Duggar, I really think having reality television cameras around will make this harder. 

Which is why she needs to stay away from courting a Duggar boy.  

12 hours ago, doubleT said:

I think Carlin has decided sleeveless is OK too.  Wasn't she sleeveless at Kelly's sisters wedding this summer too? 

I saw the picture of her dress in the Joe and Carlin thread, and this dress is the same dress she wore at Michaela's wedding. I cant find any pictures of her at the other wedding, but maybe she's just recycling the dress?

Has anyone seen this 'interview'? Apparently Michael has been studying all this time, but I thought she was working as a nanny before she married? 

http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2016/02/interview-with-michaela-bates-keilen.html

"While Brandon, a videographer/graphic designer for a ministry in Chicago, is away at work, Michaela spends her days studying and doing childcare. "I’m finishing up my last semester of college, while adjusting to the big city and the cold winters," she tells PopCityLife.com."

I find this really interesting - given the many critics of the fundies-don't-get-higher-education phenomena, you'd think they'd play this up? Unless it's a particularly sexist/faith-based course at Crown or something... But the Bates already have children who have studied/are studying at Crown, so why wasn't this publicised? Could just be that Michael's more private than the other siblings, but does anyone else find it strange? 

Has anyone seen this 'interview'? Apparently Michael has been studying all this time, but I thought she was working as a nanny before she married? 

http:// www.batesfamilyblog .com/2016/02/interview-with-michaela-bates-keilen.html

"While Brandon, a videographer/graphic designer for a ministry in Chicago, is away at work, Michaela spends her days studying and doing childcare. "I’m finishing up my last semester of college, while adjusting to the big city and the cold winters," she tells PopCityLife.com."

I find this really interesting - given the many critics of the fundies-don't-get-higher-education phenomena, you'd think they'd play this up? Unless it's a particularly sexist/faith-based course at Crown or something... But the Bates already have children who have studied/are studying at Crown, so why wasn't this publicised? Could just be that Michael's more private than the other siblings, but does anyone else find it strange? 

I find it strange, too. She had said something in reply to her Instagram comments that she was not pregnant because she was finishing studying. This was the first I had heard of her studying and I still don't know what it is she is studying.

1 hour ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2016/02/interview-with-michaela-bates-keilen.html

There's no need to break links anymore. The direct link is: http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2016/02/interview-with-michaela-bates-keilen.html

And the link to the full article: http://popcitylife.com/2016/02/08/interview-michaella-bates-chats-about-her-wedding-exclusive/

Would she be taking online Crown College classes? Would they allow an online degree from a secular college or university or is it just a few classes they're okay with? 

On 2/12/2016 at 2:55 PM, SheWhoMustNotBeNamed said:

36G here! I feel your pain! Smurf Trampoline's all around!

Smurf trampoline, that's a good one!  DD and I both had reductions--poor kid was a 38J and was always getting unwelcome attention.  Mine was done in 1990 (I can't remember ever finding a properly-fitting bra) and the surgeon took off 7 lbs of tissue.

39 minutes ago, Imagine20 said:

Would she be taking online Crown College classes? Would they allow an online degree from a secular college or university or is it just a few classes they're okay with? 

Michael did College Plus online course, not Crown, i guess she is still finishing it (it was never disclosed what is she studying, as far as i know).The one that atended Crown was Erin, and now Tori.

41 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Smurf trampoline, that's a good one!  DD and I both had reductions--poor kid was a 38J and was always getting unwelcome attention.  Mine was done in 1990 (I can't remember ever finding a properly-fitting bra) and the surgeon took off 7 lbs of tissue.

Your poor daughter!!  So glad she got a reduction. 

Kelly said in the past that Michaela attended the local community college.  I don't think they've ever said what she did after that or perhaps it's community college that she's finishing.

If it is community college that she's finishing, I can see them not hiding but not advertising it.  Regardless of what she's studying, community college counts as secular, and in their circles, Christian higher education is viewed as suspicious.  Secular higher education has to be a no no.  In this case they have to balance their audience (pro normal college), with their peer groups (bad college), so discussing it discretely is probably the best option they have.

35 minutes ago, imokit said:

If it is community college that she's finishing, I can see them not hiding but not advertising it.  Regardless of what she's studying, community college counts as secular, and in their circles, Christian higher education is viewed as suspicious.  Secular higher education has to be a no no.  In this case they have to balance their audience (pro normal college), with their peer groups (bad college), so discussing it discretely is probably the best option they have.

Hahaha, imagine being ashamed of your child getting a good education... what a backwards life they have.

Well, the are one of the faces of a "religion" that discourages higher education and mingling with outsiders so they can't really advertise the fact that their children partake of it. It might make the others wonder what other rules don't really make sense.

5 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

If she's been able to continue her studies after moving how many hundred miles, I wonder if she's doing some IBLP correspondence course or something. The Bateses would probably downplay that for the general public.

In the comments of this blog post Kelly answers some questions about Michael education: http://thebatesfamily.com/update-on-michael/ "She began her College Plus again in her spare time and is planning to work with Mother’s Day Out Church Daycare this fall. (...)College Plus allows students to advance according to their own pace, so they can easily work jobs, etc. It is self-directed, intense study… then their overall knowledge is tested through college testing. They are able to earn college credit at a fraction of the time and cost. And since the majority is done at home or on-line, they are in an encouraging environment."

She say she went to  a community college, but they were always very vague about that. Even when she mentioned it in an interview for UP. It is really strange. Either when she said "community college" she meant College Plus or for whatever reason they don't want to talk about what she studied there. I'm leaning towards it just being CP. 

20 minutes ago, Diana said:

In the comments of this blog post Kelly answers some questions about Michael education: http://thebatesfamily.com/update-on-michael/ "She began her College Plus again in her spare time and is planning to work with Mother’s Day Out Church Daycare this fall. (...)College Plus allows students to advance according to their own pace, so they can easily work jobs, etc. It is self-directed, intense study… then their overall knowledge is tested through college testing. They are able to earn college credit at a fraction of the time and cost. And since the majority is done at home or on-line, they are in an encouraging environment."

This post is from March 2013, correct?  It is possible that she has done  a combination of College Plus and actual  local community college, and she's reverted back to College Plus now that she is away in Chicago.  Mother's Day Out, by the way, appears to be part-time day care programs based in churches. They also mentioned that Michael worked as a nanny for a family, sometimes up to 4 days a week.

PS Remember when Josiah Duggar was an actual spokescritter for College Plus? There hasn't been a peep about that in over year. Such wasted potential.

Can someone attached the 'Bringing Up Bates' love pic from twitter? I am having tech troubles. And, are my eyes deceiving me? Do I see Joe in the background?

13 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Can someone attached the 'Bringing Up Bates' love pic from twitter? I am having tech troubles. And, are my eyes deceiving me? Do I see Joe in the background?

24 minutes ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

That certainly looks like Joe from the back..

Who do you think is Joe? The one stirring the pot? :kitty-wink:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived