IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

His replies on the Moody book post are even better (and by better, I mean worse):

Charming.

Ugh, sentence structure. It sounds like their hopefulness lasts about a week. Which, incidentally, is about 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 58 seconds longer than any Maxwell hopefulness has ever lasted.

Fab customer service Stevie and a 'Great' conversation starters... :music-tool:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet Baby Jesus, that's butchered English right there. :cry:

Butchered English, for sure, but also, why did we need to hear that? Every single sentence should be moving the action forward. Like the question about the giraffe, "where's the giraffe!?" Oh, I thought, this will set up a neat little story about something that happened to the giraffe, or about how the kid had his sights set on seeing the giraffe, and he can't, and that conflict begins here- oh, wait, the giraffe isn't on the safari and everyone is OK with that? Conflict potential introduced and resolved/dismissed in the very next sentence. Why did you bother to tell us?

I realise the point of a Maxwell story is that there's no actual conflict at any point ever, but it's conceivable someone could write a story about a perfect family that has what some might call hilarious scenarios and grows closer to Jesus without conflict. It's still boring as hell, but at least it wouldn't hurt to read.

And whoever said (I think it was this thread, not the other) about how Sarah's work was sent to a "professional proof reader" and then she went over the book before and after, I would take that with a grain of salt. It could be the woman at the nursing home who types the newsletter. Somebody at that place has to like them enough to let them come back every week! Alternatively, they may have some kind of connection with some other blogger who just reads the books and offers feedback, so editing after is necessary. (Maybe they're our problem! "Sarah, I didn't understand, where was Max sitting when they were feeding the camel?")

10 a.m. CST?

1) Has Daylight Saving Time already ended in Leavenworth?

2) Well, bless me, I have a hot date with Midsummer Night's Dream scheduled for that time. I'll have to miss it. *wipes invisible tear*

Someone may already have said this, but maybe the MaxHells don't do daylight savings time. In my dad's hometown lots of country folks didn't do DST in the 60s.

Butchered English, for sure, but also, why did we need to hear that? Every single sentence should be moving the action forward. Like the question about the giraffe, "where's the giraffe!?" Oh, I thought, this will set up a neat little story about something that happened to the giraffe, or about how the kid had his sights set on seeing the giraffe, and he can't, and that conflict begins here- oh, wait, the giraffe isn't on the safari and everyone is OK with that? Conflict potential introduced and resolved/dismissed in the very next sentence. Why did you bother to tell us?

Heh. I attempted to post something similar to this in my other thread (only about the the book I'm actually reading now) a few days ago but it got eaten.

The books are full of this. It's extraneous details given in a very "so I was over here, and this happened, and..." sort of rambly telling a story sort of way, but they're not important details.

I'm used to reading a very different kind of fiction, where any slight detail mentioned is likely to come up later in the story and matter, so you think ten chapters on when the main characters are in a strange building "wait! isn't this the place Character X mentioned his ex-wife lost money on in a real estate deal???" or similar, so it's really strangely distracting.

I'm used to reading a very different kind of fiction, where any slight detail mentioned is likely to come up later in the story and matter, so you think ten chapters on when the main characters are in a strange building "wait! isn't this the place Character X mentioned his ex-wife lost money on in a real estate deal???" or similar, so it's really strangely distracting.

Me too. It's the reason I threw The DaVinci Code across the room when I got to the end. When The World's Best Puzzle Solver Who Isn't Even Faster at Solving Puzzles Than I Am first left the Louvre, I screamed at him that he could solve the whole thing without leaving the museum. So I decided I must be horribly, horribly wrong and this was leading up to some kind of majestic, Douglas Adams-level red herring, and then... end of book.

I wonder if Sarah ever read the Mandie series, or if all the unsuitable Christian literature was vetted by Mr. Stevelhurst before it ever made it into the hands of the kids. I read one or two in 5th grade, because they were in the library and they were mysteries. The language was terribly stilted and formal, with strange sentence construction, but they were all about a Christian girl of the 1900s who spent most of her time defying authority in a thoroughly modern way, and acting more or less insulting to every single person who isn't her immediate family. I wonder if they were some of the most suitable material they ever found, and if Sarah's trying to create a whitewashed version.

And while I'm on the subject, I'm positive there's a mainstream kid's series that's got a regular length Winter with Samantha book and then a Winter Days With Samantha that's a collection of short stories about the same character. Possibly American Girl, though that doesn't seem quite right. Samantha notwithstanding: I stuck that and the season in as placeholders. I'm convinced there's a real mainstream book series that does the same "Days With" title thing Sarah's doing, but it does it for a REASON!

Me too. It's the reason I threw The DaVinci Code across the room when I got to the end. When The World's Best Puzzle Solver Who Isn't Even Faster at Solving Puzzles Than I Am first left the Louvre, I screamed at him that he could solve the whole thing without leaving the museum. So I decided I must be horribly, horribly wrong and this was leading up to some kind of majestic, Douglas Adams-level red herring, and then... end of book.

I wonder if Sarah ever read the Mandie series, or if all the unsuitable Christian literature was vetted by Mr. Stevelhurst before it ever made it into the hands of the kids. I read one or two in 5th grade, because they were in the library and they were mysteries. The language was terribly stilted and formal, with strange sentence construction, but they were all about a Christian girl of the 1900s who spent most of her time defying authority in a thoroughly modern way, and acting more or less insulting to every single person who isn't her immediate family. I wonder if they were some of the most suitable material they ever found, and if Sarah's trying to create a whitewashed version.

And while I'm on the subject, I'm positive there's a mainstream kid's series that's got a regular length Winter with Samantha book and then a Winter Days With Samantha that's a collection of short stories about the same character. Possibly American Girl, though that doesn't seem quite right. Samantha notwithstanding: I stuck that and the season in as placeholders. I'm convinced there's a real mainstream book series that does the same "Days With" title thing Sarah's doing, but it does it for a REASON!

As a happy collector of all things American girl, the title you are think big could be "Samantha's winter party."

Otherwise, no, it's no the Samantha books you're thinking of.

I really would like to read a Moody book but will NOT be ordering one. I wish there were copies posted online to read. Also I wish there were copies online because it would make Steve mad.

Also why do all the Maxwell's books have good ratings on amazon?!?

Because their leg humpers are the only people stupid enough to buy the books, and are therefore predisposed to thinking everything out of a Maxwell mouth is a pearl of wisdom.

Hmm. I only ever buy them secondhand on eBay so never thought to put a review on Amazon but maybe I ought to...

I am sorely tempted to read the Conversations book--I believe you have actually experience weirdness first-hand to fully appreciate it. Of course, this means contributing to the continued existence of Maxwellia, which is...regrettable. Anyone know if the book is going to be available via Amazon, rather that directly from Steve?

I've read a Moody book--I don't expect the new one to be any better.

FJers (and possibly/probably others) have also spammed the Amazon reviews for several Maxwell books. If you go through, you can probably pick out the faux glowing 5-star reviews.

FJers (and possibly/probably others) have also spammed the Amazon reviews for several Maxwell books. If you go through, you can probably pick out the faux glowing 5-star reviews.

LOL. I'd forgotten that had happened -- that was hilarious to read! I wish I could take credit for some of those reviews, but I can't.

I really would like to read a Moody book but will NOT be ordering one. I wish there were copies posted online to read. Also I wish there were copies online because it would make Steve mad.

If you're an Amazon Prime member you can borrow Summer with the Moodys for free. Plus a few of Steve and Teri's books.

I really want to read one, too--but not the latest one, because the excerpt was unbearably boring, even worse than the other Moody samples I've read. I'd throw a used copy in with an Amazon order if a seller that fulfills through Amazon ever puts up a copy for cheap. (Other sellers do sell them cheap, but I don't want to pay $3.99 shipping for a MOODY BOOK.)

Hey, the Maxwells are giving away two copies of the Conversationalists book to two commentors!!! They are doing this because they've gotten tremendous response to the book!!!11!!!!!!

All you have to do is write a sentence or two as to why you are excited about the book, or why your family will benefit from it!!!!!!eleventy!!!

Oh, and this is the hard part, your comment has to be approved.

C'mon FJers, put those thinking caps on!

Hey, the Maxwells are giving away two copies of the Conversationalists book to two commentors!!! They are doing this because they've gotten tremendous response to the book!!!11!!!!!!

All you have to do is write a sentence or two as to why you are excited about the book, or why your family will benefit from it!!!!!!eleventy!!!

Oh, and this is the hard part, your comment has to be approved.

C'mon FJers, put those thinking caps on!

You know they are going to comb through the comments with their FJ radar on, so if you go make a comment, make it benign. Maybe one of us will win the book!

You know they are going to comb through the comments with their FJ radar on, so if you go make a comment, make it benign. Maybe one of us will win the book!

Considering no one has commented to win yet, I think the chances of winning are pretty strong!

Considering no one has commented to win yet, I think the chances of winning are pretty strong!

No, it's just Stevie being a control freak and holding all the comments until he approves them. I'm sure there will be a lot of people commenting. Who wouldn't want to be a recipient of the very first Maxwell giveaway ever???????

They've gotten a tremendous response? 3 comments is a tremendous response? I'm guessing it's been a tremendously disappointing response, and this giveaway is to drum up interest.

I've entered. I promise if I win to do a page by page review on FJ.

Ooooo, I hope you are chosen. And remind me again -- they are doing a drawing for the winners. Isn't that a lottery? Which is a form of gambling/game of chance? I find it hard to believe that suddenly Stevie thinks this is okay.

By reading the blog entry it looks like Stevehovah is planning on picking the two he likes best. None of this leaving it up to God/the universe/a random number generator, Steve needs to be in control at all times.

They've gotten a tremendous response? 3 comments is a tremendous response? I'm guessing it's been a tremendously disappointing response, and this giveaway is to drum up interest.

I thought the same thing myself! It reminds me of when they were endlessly promoting the latest ITonRamp course back in June and then offered a free course to a family who attended their next conference.

All I can think of is the bewildered look Anna gave me when she asked what church I go to and I said I was Jewish. And this is before I had made a scene.

Trust me, I doubt they have great conversationalist skills. Asking how many kids we had and where we went to church was all she asked. Not our names, nothing.

And then when I said one, and I am Jewish she just could not recover.

Archived