IGNORED

Maxwell Book Launch 10am cst!!1!!!

johnhugh

Also, Uriah apparently blew a fuse on the westward trek, which was the occasion for the lionization of John. Did anybody have a blown fuse in the pool on what would go wrong with Uriah this time?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just have to say, Nath and Mel's girls are adorable. I hope they have more opportunities in life then sitting around waiting for Mr. Prince to drop out of the sky...

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

For some reason I have a feeling the first rule in being a good conversationalist is beginning each conversation with a good opening line, such as "Do you know where you will go when you die?"

Or "Are you a good person?"

" ....then try and find somewhere we can turnaround."

...thAn try TO find somewhere THAT we can TURN AROUND.

There, Steve. Fixed it for you. I was afraid Dr. Pussy's correction might be a little too technical for Poor Sarah. She is not accustomed to a professional editor. Note, too, that there is a difference between "then" and "than".

What are all these computer projects all of them are doing? She writes and writes, and yet gives no details. I find it odd. I think she got stuck in the idea of writing for children and thinks that's the only way for her to write.

What are all these computer projects all of them are doing? She writes and writes, and yet gives no details. I find it odd. I think she got stuck in the idea of writing for children and thinks that's the only way for her to write.

Well, again, she's telling and not showing in her writing. She writes that she's writing, but doesn't say anything about WHAT she's writing about. Sometimes she mentions a Moody book, but for the most part, she's just "writing", like that's something to read about, right?

That blog post was absolutely impossible to read!! Talk about stilted language. I seriously had to read it two or three times before I could get through the Maxwell-ese. Way more impossible than normal (in my opinion). Does Sarah even read the posts out loud before hitting submit? I seriously feel bad for all of them if that is what they think people actually write like. I mean, I know I'm not the greatest of writers (or spellers for that matter), but I generally try and read what I wrote out loud before sending it off somewhere (minus texting my friends etc). Sarah, please pick up a book that wasn't written by you, or a family member or the KJV Bible!

I don't get the bible verse they quoted in the post about the winners (casting lots). Can someone explain what it means?

I'd always assumed "casting lots" was a bad thing, akin to gambling, in fundie circles.

I wonder if this is Steve's response to FJ postings about their drawing encouraging gambling...

Gooooooo! Migggggyeeee!!!

Of course, Steve has your address now. You might want to move lest Steve and clan show up on their next conference trip, looking for some free, sweet fellowship.

But think of all the housework they could do for her! And then as long as she was as appropriate and kind but totally, totally worldly, she'd get to see how long they could stick it out. "Terri, would you care for a Pepsi or a Diet Pepsi? Help yourself! The wifi password is InternetIsMyIdol, feel free to log on as often as you like. I thought for dinner we'd go to an All You Can Eat Buffet. Would anyone care to watch Up this evening? I know it's supposed to be a kid's movie, but it's just so uplifting and encouraging to me. Oh, Steve, that shade of purple can't be healthy, should you sit down?"

I would LOVE Steve to visit! Oh !! Eleventy !!! Just imagine!!! My family would fit in really well with the Big Bang Theory crowd. Imagine Steve's face when he steps through our door and sees the life size inflatable dalek. As he continues in he could admire the photos of all, yes all, of us at comicon complete with costumes. I'll take him along to our church to hear the Christian rock band my boys play in.

The Maxwell's latest corner article is up: titus2.com/corners/dads-corner/can-your-children-talk.html

Some interesting parts:

However, I am often quite shocked at how few teens and even young adults can carry on a conversation. I know this lack of conversation skills is typical for those children who come from the public school environment, but I expected more from homeschooled children.

Now, isn't one of the few advantages to public school (as admitted by fundies) is that there would be tons of socialization exposure? I know the Maxwells would think we public school kids spent our days having sex and selling drugs, but that still requires an ability to carry on a conversation, right? Their announcement that their homeschooled kids, who grew up isolated from any non-siblings, were great conversationalists is just laughable. It's about as stupid as bragging that their children don't read, they write. Anyway, I thought the quote highlighted the arrogance of the Maxwells, that they feel so sorry for the rest of us plebeians, not realizing even their fellow fundies find them bizarre.

Another quote that caught my eye:

Many who know my children comment on their ability to start and maintain a conversation. They will tell me they would like for their children to be the kind of conversationalists that my children are. Let me assure you, that didn’t happen automatically for our children. Through the years we made conversation skills an emphasis in our family....

I bet the Maxwell children are "trained" to evangelize and "witness"with standard conversation templates drummed into them. These kids don't watch tv or movies, don't read the newspapers, avoid all contact with heathens and even fellow fundies. Honestly, you're telling me they can keep up a normal conversation? Maybe if the subject was about hellfire and eternal damnation. Outside of that, it's just going to be awkward silence.

Of course, now my curiosity is piqued. I want to speak with the Maxwell children to see what they do talk about when not trying to convert you or sell you stuff. I bet the Maxwell children would show their their stunted upbringing pretty quickly.

Anyway, I think this is the first time one of the Corner article was written to shell out their new product? They seem to be pushing their new stuff out pretty hard and pretty quickly. It makes me think the family is feeling the competition from larger companies and have to make up for their loss revenue by selling harder and selling more. Thoughts?

I always thought there was more emphasis on "debate" than "conversation" in the fundie/homeschool crowd.

Personally I'm a big fan of "conversation" where as "debate" scares me, as the premise in debate seem to be trying to convert or persuade the other person to your beliefs be they religious or political or what ever (Hi! Chris Jeub :greetings-waveyellow: ) or even just being able to speak convinsingly on any topic handed to you by a teacher or instructor.

Anyway I'd love to hear from someone who's actually been in contact with the Maxwells and get some insights on what that family regards as "conversation", since to me from they way they describe themselves and their daily life not a whole lot of "conversation" seem to be going on only "talking tos" and "disciplining" and "correcting".

Haven't you guys read the samples of their books? This one or any Moody book? I imagine this is what some might call a conversation in the Maxwell home: titus2.com/media/products/samples/conversation-sample.pdf

16 glorious pages of Maxwellian conversation rules complete with examples. Though if anybody can read through 19 & 20, props. The Maxwells do not understand watermarks or transparency.

Is there some kind of fundie list that they refer to for everything they want to blame things on? You know, like:

public schools

Obamacare

liberal media

government

WHAT THE EVERLOVING HELL, Steve Maxwell?!?! I will have this man know that in the sixth grade, I had to move desks no less than four times due to my superior abilities to start and maintain a conversation, and this was in the ebil public school! And I was certainly not a standout--- the majority of my peers would converse with me and prevent monologue.

This book's premise fails utterly.

I think this book illustrates that they're getting pretty desperate for business. They don't have a houseful of cute littles any longer, so Teri can only pull stories from 15 years ago when it comes to how helpful scheduling was in her life. They have two married adult children out of what, seven who are over 18, and two failed courtships, so that topic is kind of out for a book. Word has probably gotten around on the internet, thanks to FJ, that Stevehovah is really more controlling family cult leader than homeschooling dad.

One thing I've learned in homeschooling for 15 years; fads come and go just like the rest of the world. 10-12 years ago, the Maxwells were kind of the flavor du jour because of MOTH. Now, the core people who bought their schtick have adult children just like them. The new crop are looking for new blood, new ideas, free e-books online. Some tired old books on scheduling and how tiring it is to be a mommy from 10+ years ago are not going to cut the mustard.

Thing is, they could easily write on any number of topics without resorting to something as dumb as this. They could write abot t role hee of grandparents, they could write about what to do with stay at home daughters and sons (since they've got 6), they could write about budgeting and meal planning for large families. There's a ton of stuff. This conversation stuff is just bizarre and only highlights how deluded they are about their lifestyle.

The Maxwells exist in a carefully controlled environment so almost everyone they encounter, with the exception of the poor servers and cashiers who wander into their path--and most likely feign interest because their jobs depend on it, are all of a similar mind so the Maxwells have an easy in when it comes to conversations. So in that regard, because they've well-trained salespeople, they probably are decent conversationalists. They talk about what they know and engage their audience, all for the purpose of selling a product. I'm sure it's smooth, slick, and ultimately shallow because they follow a well-rehearsed script. But take them out of their comfort zone, ask them to engage in conversation with someone in a random encounter, or with someone whose beliefs differ from theirs? Probably not so much. Wasn't it Treemom who said that once she mentioned that she only had one child and was Jewish to boot--oh, the horror, Mary(?) pretty much shut down? I'm pretty sure that unless they could lead all talks back to Jesus (which is, of course, their not-so-hidden agenda), they would have a very difficult time relating to and conversing with Joe Schmoe.

And the "conversations" featured in the book excerpt? Not really conversations, more like learning how to respond to questions. Yes, good responses, as well a being a good conversationalist, are learned skills for some but Maxwell conversation sounds just a stilted and devoid of personality as just about everything else they do.

I was actually thinking about this book yesterday when I was at PetSmart picking up food and treats for the menagerie. I stopped by the adoption area (always a mistake since I frequently come home with another furry friend) and I struck up a conversation with a couple who had stopped by as well. Of course, the starting point was our pets but then it naturally veered off into other non-pet related areas. We ended up talking for about 15 minutes, just a nice, casual chat with absolutely no agenda behind it. I have conversations like that all the time, especially while waiting in line for one reason or another. It does help pass the time and you never know when that friendly small talk can lead to a real friendship as you discover mutual interests. But really, aside from Jesus, the Bible and DEATH, what would a Maxwell use for a conversation starter? Popular culture? Nope. Pets? Not since "it" died. Current events?" Nada. Food, books, music, travel, movies? Nope, nope, nope and nope. I truly can't wait to read this book, although I'm pretty sure that in typical Maxwell fashion, it will be a collection of vague anecdotes and example, lots of warnings against the evil World Outside and a fuckton of bible quotes, hand picked and manipulated to support their theories. Same old, same old.

And hey Steve! My now 23YO daughter is and always has been from the time she could talk, a natural conversationalist. She had no problem going up to a new group of kids in the park and joining in, nor did she ever shy away from talking with adults. As someone for whom easy conversation was definitely a learned art, I used to be (and still am) in awe of how easy it was for her. And I still get compliments from people who are impressed by how warm and engaging she is. Yes, my PUBLIC SCHOOL EDUCATED daughter. So suck on that one, Steve.

The courting dialogues. :eyeroll: Personally, I'd prefer an awkwardly stammering young man to one slick as a used car salesman.

My children would not even talk to a stranger in a grocery store. Why? Because their parents and ebil public school taught them about stranger danger.

If arrogance could be harnessed as a power source, Daddy Maxwell could light a city.

The Maxwells interact with people outside their own family precisely long enough to sell some “new†crap. They don’t keep up with the world around them. Except for their polished sales-pitches, and in-depth discussions on the nature of hell, they have nothing.

And the "conversations" featured in the book excerpt? Not really conversations, more like learning how to respond to questions. Yes, good responses, as well a being a good conversationalist, are learned skills for some but Maxwell conversation sounds just a stilted and devoid of personality as just about everything else they do.

The courting one was basically "How to Ace an Interview With Steve Maxwell." Which is awesome if for some unfathomable reason that is what you need to do, but thankfully I am not in that position.

I mean, seriously? All the "the lord has laid it on my heart" business? Buzzwords for The Steve, but maybe not so applicable elsewhere.

People talk about the weather as an intro to conversations because it's something in front of both parties and thus available for comment. I would absolutely start any conversation with the Maxwells about either the weather or the decor of the room, because I don't think we have much other common ground. From there we can see where it goes, but they don't take a paper, they don't watch any news, they don't follow any sports, and we don't have any acquaintances in common, so it's hard to know what else to open a conversation with. My other usual opening is the news, and that probably wouldn't work out.

I would LOVE Steve to visit! Oh !! Eleventy !!! Just imagine!!! My family would fit in really well with the Big Bang Theory crowd. Imagine Steve's face when he steps through our door and sees the life size inflatable dalek. As he continues in he could admire the photos of all, yes all, of us at comicon complete with costumes. I'll take him along to our church to hear the Christian rock band my boys play in.

If he came into my kitchen he would see the Dalek beer opener - you open the beer and it says "EXTERMINATE!"

Archived