IGNORED

Esther Shrader (Anna Duggar's sister) living in a pop up

xReems

I agree, it depends on the area and the specific stores. The Wal-Mart in the town I grew up, hired anyone who didn't have misdemeanors or felonies and passed a drug test.

If even a place like walmart doesn't hire someone with a record, how is a former felon supposed to get a job and stay out of trouble?

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If even a place like walmart doesn't hire someone with a record, how is a former felon supposed to get a job and stay out of trouble?

Jobs that involve cash (cashiers, waiters, salespeople), access to someone's home (contractor, maid) and customer service tend not to be available to felons.

I imagine that jobs in construction and manufacturing jobs are still available for them.

I know this is a terrible thought, but it just occurred to me.....is it possible that they could lose custody of their children if it is reported that they are living in a pop up trailer? As someone mentioned upthread, the sanitation has to be horrible...in addition to the lack of space for all those kids. I just can't imagine :(

No idea why they didn't hire me. I wouldn't mind working there for a few years- I'm looking for something part time, nights and weekends so I don't have to pay childcare. I agree that Walmart is an option that provides a regular paycheck for people without a lot of skills or experience.

That's why. Most retail these days, requires you to have a completely open schedule. With the economy the way it is, they want people they can schedule any time of the day. :evil: and since the market is so flooded (around here anyways) if someone can only work nights and weekends, they don't even consider them.

(this was told to me by my former boss who I worked with for a now defunct book selling company ;-) )

I know this is a terrible thought, but it just occurred to me.....is it possible that they could lose custody of their children if it is reported that they are living in a pop up trailer? As someone mentioned upthread, the sanitation has to be horrible...in addition to the lack of space for all those kids. I just can't imagine :(

I thought there were laws about how many people could occupy XX amount of sq ft.

I thought there were laws about how many people could occupy XX amount of sq ft.

There are. In WA, it's like 3 people in a one bedroom apartment, 5 people in a two bedroom apartment, ect. No idea about OR.

I don't know if they would lose custody so much as be put in the system and offered or "encouraged" to accept help- like housing, food stamps, WIC, medical care, and "encouraging" the parents to enroll the kids in public school. And if the help wasn't accepted, well, then they could lose custody. Seven kids is a lot to place in a small, sparsely populated county like Wasco County so I imagine they would foist resources on them first.

In my town there are. You can't have more than I believe 6 people sharing a house (even if the house has 6 bedrooms!) . It wasn't made to stop the QF folks, but rather, to come down "hard" on the "illegals" :roll: who according to the conservatives around here would cram themselves 20 to a house if you let them.

I do see how hard a lot of them work to send money back to wherever they are from ~ also, its very difficult to get into this country legally ... and nobody would work the awful jobs that a lot of them take JUST to survive and send money back home if they left. So, I have no issues with them pretty much because they have it harder than anyone else. Someone's immigrant status is none of my business unless I'm hiring them to work, and the likelyhood of me hiring anyone in an employer/employee capacity is pretty much nil at this point.

What they also don't realize is that there are legal immigrants in this situation too and they're getting hurt by this ridiculous law.

It's Oregon, and its summer and he's a minister in a red county, not likely.

Mr. Keller's picker is off when it comes to accepting suitors for his daughters. They would have been better off single. No wonder Suze got out!

The only thing he cares about isif he is willing to have as many children as humanly possible as God gives them, and if he can memorize random chapters in the Bible.

Mr. Keller went on to say, “I will talk with Priscilla and give you an answer from her within three days. However, if she says ‘Yes’ let me tell you up front that I have just one simple project for you to do before you become engaged to her. I want you to memorize Romans 10, Isaiah 58, and Luke 15 and quote them to your dad. They are some precious chapter of Scripture which I want you to enjoy.†We ended the conversation with prayer and I felt as though I was either in shock or dreaming.

Sounds like it's time for Esther and the kids to go to Ma and Pa Keller's to stay, and what's his name can take the pop up to ND or somewhere and work while they save for a house in ND. This should work with their family values, as it's been done since the beginning of time (think gold rushes and homesteading, etc.....hell, even coming to the US). While in Florida, Esther can stick the kids in school (they have to have 2 or 3 school age), Ma can watch the others, and Esther can get a job.

Hell will freeze over before this happens!

I do realize it can take years to get a section 8 voucher. However, most cities have some sort of subsidized housing that doesn't take years to get into. I worked my way out of those apartments...but if I needed to take care of my kids, I'd go back in heartbeat. What this guy has done to his family is inexcusable.

Oregon is very responsive to homeless families through a variety of community agencies. I live in a town with a less than 1% vacancy rate and we currently have a housing bank started by property owners. It is specifically designed to aid families. The mindset here is quite different than that of a red county. Wasco cty. has housing shortages and there are seasonal rentals. I checked, and they do not have a housing bank. I do think, that they could get emergency housing, if they were willing to enter the system and it was winter.

Jobs that involve cash (cashiers, waiters, salespeople), access to someone's home (contractor, maid) and customer service tend not to be available to felons.

I imagine that jobs in construction and manufacturing jobs are still available for them.

My father-in-law is an electrical contractor and he will hire fellons, because they don't do residential work (so they aren't going into peoples homes). His brother was also an electrical contractor and he wouldn't hire them because they did residential. So yes, it's really hard for fellons to get a job, there aren't many out there.

But then they won't be able to go to Zambiaaaa!

Do they have to pay for tickets to Zambia or does their "ministry" foot the bill? Nine (or 8 since the youngest is only one) plane tickets to Zambia do not come cheap. Are they camping to save money for the trip?

Wonder which family members paid off their loans and bought them the van? If the John Shrader family was mine, I would be seriously pissed off that he expects everyone to foot his bills, keeps on adding more mouths to feed and is upset about working because the music is not to his taste.

The huge sense of entitlement many fundies have really irks me. I could sit back, not work and say it was God's will, but quite frankly, I would consider myself to be lazy. Besides, I am alreadya lost cause because I am a single woman with two degrees, a teaching job in an ebil public school and no kids of my own.

I agree with the homesteading comment. If fundies want to pine for the days of old, then they have to take the good with the bad and maybe separate for a while for the sake of putting bread on the table. It's either that or take aid.

I wonder why so many ATI folk are against manual labor. I've been watching ex-Amish and they have a great work ethic and are willing to travel to where the hard labor jobs are (on pipelines, etc) so they can save up their money. For some reason fundies don't seem to have this same ethic. Is it because they all need to be self-employed that they feel that they can just preach and inseminate their wives? When they do work, car sales is about their speed. Do they think they are too good or just that God will provide for them? Am I generalizing too much? Mr. Keller's picker is off when it comes to accepting suitors for his daughters. They would have been better off single. No wonder Suze got out!

Weird, isn't it? They are against higher education, yet shun manual labor as well. What's left? How many used car salesmen and semi-pro photographers can there be? And the self-professed "pastors" never darkened the door of any divinity school, so they could never get a post in a "real " congregation. There's a very limited amount of tv shows and motivational speaking engagements out there, so that's out too.

If this sad situation that Esther is going through isn't proof that "God will provide " is a crock of shit, I don't know what is. The adults have no one but themselves to blame, but the kids are innocent victims. What a way to treat your precious gifts from God.

John Shrader

For those that may be wondering or would like to have a part, any support can be sent to/through our church. Valley Baptist Church, P.O. Box 187, Auburn, WA 98071 . Please designate it "Shrader Support"

John Shrader

Dear Friends and Family, we will be leaving for our Survey trip to Zambia, Africa on Monday, April the 2nd. Esther will return April the 11th, and I will be there until the 20th. My mother and Aunt have flown up to watch the children. To all who have financially sacrificed to help us and be a blessing, please accept our deepest gratitude and thanks. As I am now unemployed and completely living by faith, just know that God used you to provide. Please pray for safety for Esther and I (and the children as they stay behind), and for God to richly bless as we take this critically important survey trip. We love you all and cannot wait to s

In my town there are. You can't have more than I believe 6 people sharing a house (even if the house has 6 bedrooms!) . It wasn't made to stop the QF folks, but rather, to come down "hard" on the "illegals" :roll: who according to the conservatives around here would cram themselves 20 to a house if you let them.

Sidetrack, but: this is actually true of some immigrant communities, but in a way that's to their credit, unlike the Quiverfulls. I was told by someone who tutors people in the Sudanese community in my neighbourhood that they can have very crowded houses not because of having too many children, but because they will not let anyone in their extended family or community go homeless. So if another person they know arrives and can't find a place to live, they'll open their doors to that person. I might note that I live in a place with an extremely tough rental market, and that the people concerned (asylum seekers waiting for their claim to be put through) are both ineligible for government benefits and not legally allowed to work. So they're dependent on charity and whatever under the counter work they can get.

The men in our community used to do this all the time when they came to the States in the beginning and mid 20th century. Men would rent apartments and homes and sleep in shifts. They did this in order to be able to work and save money to start their own businesses, bring over the wives and children they left behind in Europe, or send money home so their families could survive. Hell yes a lot of them DID cram themselves 20 in a house. I never get the anti immigration crowd when they point out this practice and expect outrage. Of course they were/are doing this, there is no safety net for a new immigrant and they need to save money to get ahead. The horror. :roll:

Sidetrack, but: this is actually true of some immigrant communities, but in a way that's to their credit, unlike the Quiverfulls. I was told by someone who tutors people in the Sudanese community in my neighbourhood that they can have very crowded houses not because of having too many children, but because they will not let anyone in their extended family or community go homeless. So if another person they know arrives and can't find a place to live, they'll open their doors to that person. I might note that I live in a place with an extremely tough rental market, and that the people concerned (asylum seekers waiting for their claim to be put through) are both ineligible for government benefits and not legally allowed to work. So they're dependent on charity and whatever under the counter work they can get.

I agree w/ you! I've had friends who have struggled- have been homeless and you'd think that family would step up? Id' certainly HOPE that mine did, but who knows.

The men in our community used to do this all the time when they came to the States in the beginning and mid 20th century. Men would rent apartments and homes and sleep in shifts. They did this in order to be able to work and save money to start their own businesses, bring over the wives and children they left behind in Europe, or send money home so their families could survive. Hell yes a lot of them DID cram themselves 20 in a house. I never get the anti immigration crowd when they point out this practice and expect outrage. Of course they were/are doing this, there is no safety net for a new immigrant and they need to save money to get ahead. The horror. :roll:

My Grandfather and Great Grandfather were sojourners before they permanently settled in the US and this was a common practice.

Not according to the local friends of mine - in Oregon - who get subsidies. Read the university link I posted. In some cases, the "co-pays" are more than just paying out of pocket. Another friend of mine applied, but the amount she would have had to pay per child was more than her earning potential, and so she's an at-home mom while her husband works. She was laid off when she was pregnant with her last child from a job she'd had for years. Unless it's changed in the last couple months, then Oregon doesn't tell you to pay X% of your income and they'll pay off the rest. That would open the door for someone to pay a few hundred per month and then pick the most expensive daycare they can find. When the family will have to pay more if they pick a more expensive place, then the family is less likely to look for the Cadillac of daycares.

Different counties might have different agreements though. I've got friends getting subsidies in Multnomah, Clackamas, and Marion, counties.

According to Oregon's DSHS website, it works exactly how I said it does. http://apps.state.or.us/caf/fsm/07cc-f.htm

I do realize it can take years to get a section 8 voucher. However, most cities have some sort of subsidized housing that doesn't take years to get into. I worked my way out of those apartments...but if I needed to take care of my kids, I'd go back in heartbeat. What this guy has done to his family is inexcusable.

Yup, I live in those apartments. According to the website for the section 8 apartments in their town, there are currently vacancies. It is much easier to get into a housing project than it is to get on the program where you pay only a percentage of your income.

Yup, I live in those apartments. According to the website for the section 8 apartments in their town, there are currently vacancies. It is much easier to get into a housing project than it is to get on the program where you pay only a percentage of your income.

Is section 8 housing the same thing as "reduced rent" housing?

We have a four year wait here but a certain amount of vacancies are set aside for emergency needs for seniors, disabled and families.

Archived