IGNORED

NR-Anna might be in labor!

kpmom

Nah - I think we "like" the chart (more like the idea!) for the same reasons. I agree with you.

What the Maxwells (and that other company too, quite possibly if they're selling the thing with the Bible quotes and rods) are selling is the wrapper around it, saying it's godly and putting the fundie spin on. Their "main thing" is the part I specifically don't need, so no need to buy from them! I can make my own chart with my own consequences on it and there will not be rods involved. Nor will there be Bible verses.

Awesome! Just making sure I was understood :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love charts and schedules and lists! I have a disorganized mind and really thrive under external order.

I have found that scheduling my kids really helps in the summer when they are home all day. It gives the day a flow and helps them get through more unpleasant tasks. They can see that after chores, math worksheets and violin practice, we go swimming. So they get through the less fun stuff so they can get to the fun stuff, which means fewer complaints and foot-dragging. I also made a schedule of fun community stuff we can do every day of the week. So Monday we can go to this free "art in the park" thing for kids, Tuesday to the library's summer reading program, etc. We can choose to lay around all day if we are inclined occasionally, but we have a fun and free option. Provided everyone gets their chores and academics and music practice done, of course.

Part of this is selfish. I need to study for my MCAT and I work full-time from home. I do not have time to be dealing with boredom and cajoling children into doing all the crap they should be doing. Schedules help them to be on auto-pilot while I take care of business, and then I can spend my energy having fun with them rather than being a drill sergeant.

The Maxwells, however, seem to load their kids' days with pointless crap like wiping down ceiling fans and constant prayer because they feel there is something moral about this. So we have completely different reasons for scheduling, and probably different approaches to people who don't fit their schedule. I have no problem sitting with a child and making a schedule that better meets their needs, so long as it has the necessary things like math and music and chores, and it jives with the overall family schedule.

Archived