IGNORED

Michael Courage Bradrick

Want More Babies

She seemed to be struggling to find the words to say to The Tool. Could be she wasn't able to easily find the words because she's legitimately exhausted. However, she seemed peeved to even be doing the video in the first place and I just wonder if she is currently hating The Tools guts or if the anger is for her headship. I'm guessing she's done with the whole VF/QF bs but doesn't feel like she has any choice but to suck it up and keep sweet.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a thing in some circles (definitely in fundie circles) to continue to use "Mr. Lastname" and "Mrs. Lastname" to address or refer to people who are of your parents' generation or older. Lots of fundies take pride in doing this, finding it old-fashioned and therefore good.

To me, "Mr. Lastname" addresses sound normal if I first met the person when I was an actual child (usually that would mean the person was a friend of my parents) and I've not really been close to the person or seen them often since then, and I'm still considering the person in reference to my parents and it feels strange to change their "name" after all this time.

However, if I meet an older person (even a much older person) when I am already an adult I will use their first name. Most adults address themselves to other adults this way, and so the first name sticks.

Additionally, every place I've ever worked in the US has had everyone using first names. Even people so far above me that I will likely never have the chance to mix with them casually, people whom I would be very deferential to if we did meet, still are talked about with first names (or sometimes a last name, depending) but not "Mr." or "Mrs." Very often we will talk about "what did Jane say at that meeting?" when Jane is a vice president of the company and the meeting is something I'd never be invited to.

Edit to add: Now I've watched the video, and I remember reading about their wedding. In the beginning of the video Kelly talks about how Doug had a relationship with her family and with "Papa." He mentored them and did the whole "our family is friends with your family" "fellowshipping" thing, so it probably IS normal for them to call Doug "Mr. Phillips" since they first knew him as a friend of their parents.

That said though, if they're working closely with him now as interns or whatever (are they? I don't follow Petey too much) then eventually a secular person would probably switch to "Doug" at some point, though I see they live in North Carolina so maybe things are different too (I live in the Midwest).

Thanks!

Doug Phillips is a tool and Peter Bradrick is his ass monkey.

Please tell me that Douggie isn't my birthday buddy. :(

Doug's kids also don't call him 'Daddy'. They call him 'sir' . They can only speak at the dinner table when he asks them a direct question.

I suppose 'Sir' is an appropriate name to call the person who spanks the individuality out of you.

I have a particular loathing for Doug Phillips.

Doug's kids also don't call him 'Daddy'. They call him 'sir' . They can only speak at the dinner table when he asks them a direct question.

I suppose 'Sir' is an appropriate name to call the person who spanks the individuality out of you.

What a fucking tool.

riffle

Doug Phillips is a tool and Peter Bradrick is his ass monkey.

Please tell me that Douggie isn't my birthday buddy. :(

May 31, 1965

May 31, 1965

My son's birthday, different year. And damn, 1965 means I'm old enough to be Dougie's mother. Thank God I'm not. Doug Phillips is a tool.

This is so incredibly sad. I have yet to hear anything about this "family" that doesn't break my heart for his kids! I haven't searched yet to find out how old his kids are but I hope if any are still under 18 they find freedom as soon as they turn 18!

ETA: ok, me thinks I have no clue how to use google/fj search correctly. None of these helped me find out how old his kids are: "ages doug phillips," "how old are dp's kids?" I tried another one, too, but don't remember how I worded it. Anyone know how old his kids are? And any tips on searching in the future?

ETA: after reading some other posts, I obviously need to go to the library and pick up "internet searching for dummies," lol

Anyone know how old his kids are?

I believe the oldest child, Joshua, recenty turned 19. That would make Justice 18 (or 17 turning 18 soon). Liberty is 15 (turning 16 in September). Jubilee is about 14, and Faith is about 12. Honor is 10 (turning 11 in August). I am unsure of Providence's exact age, but he appears to be around 7. Virgina is 5 (turning 6 in October).

Wow, the youngest kid is going on 6 already? Makes you wonder if it will be the last one or...

This is so incredibly sad. I have yet to hear anything about this "family" that doesn't break my heart for his kids! I haven't searched yet to find out how old his kids are but I hope if any are still under 18 they find freedom as soon as they turn 18!

I don't think that in and of itself is particularly sad, if it's about establishing respect rather than a means of control or keeping emotional distance. Certainly there's a historical/regional precedent.

Now if they call dad 'sir' and mom 'mom', there is something weird going on.

Edited because I did something strange with quotes.

I don't think that in and of itself is particularly sad, if it's about establishing respect rather than a means of control or keeping emotional distance. Certainly there's a historical/regional precedent.

Now if they call dad 'sir' and mom 'mom', there is something weird going on.

Edited because I did something strange with quotes.

Just because you are an adult or a parent doesn't mean you deserve a child's respect.

Doug Phillips doesn't deserve to be called "sir" by anyone, especially not his children.

holy crap. when i first read the name, i thought: "michael, what a nice normal name..." but pete never fails me and so i read on and saw that they would call that poor thing courage..

i totally agree to anybody that already said that kelly is going to die if she keeps having them like this. oh boy.. i wonder how they explain that to the vf-crowd. i am also pretty sure that she is a pretty strict and harsh (in other words: violent) mother.. otherwise i cannot see her doing it all. she probably gets help from her sister claudia too, but who knows how often she really comes to her house.

i guess she and kressy morton (maybe kathie smith, too) are the too most fertile broodmares out there right now. but i guess monica brown is going to keep up with them. kressy probably end up with more "blessings" than kelly.. she is only 25 and keeps having them without a break.

It's a thing in some circles (definitely in fundie circles) to continue to use "Mr. Lastname" and "Mrs. Lastname" to address or refer to people who are of your parents' generation or older. Lots of fundies take pride in doing this, finding it old-fashioned and therefore good.

To me, "Mr. Lastname" addresses sound normal if I first met the person when I was an actual child (usually that would mean the person was a friend of my parents) and I've not really been close to the person or seen them often since then, and I'm still considering the person in reference to my parents and it feels strange to change their "name" after all this time.

However, if I meet an older person (even a much older person) when I am already an adult I will use their first name. Most adults address themselves to other adults this way, and so the first name sticks.

Additionally, every place I've ever worked in the US has had everyone using first names. Even people so far above me that I will likely never have the chance to mix with them casually, people whom I would be very deferential to if we did meet, still are talked about with first names (or sometimes a last name, depending) but not "Mr." or "Mrs." Very often we will talk about "what did Jane say at that meeting?" when Jane is a vice president of the company and the meeting is something I'd never be invited to.

Edit to add: Now I've watched the video, and I remember reading about their wedding. In the beginning of the video Kelly talks about how Doug had a relationship with her family and with "Papa." He mentored them and did the whole "our family is friends with your family" "fellowshipping" thing, so it probably IS normal for them to call Doug "Mr. Phillips" since they first knew him as a friend of their parents.

That said though, if they're working closely with him now as interns or whatever (are they? I don't follow Petey too much) then eventually a secular person would probably switch to "Doug" at some point, though I see they live in North Carolina so maybe things are different too (I live in the Midwest).

Everything you wrote is correct; however, I wanted to add that in the south we often put the title Miss or Mr in front of a person's first name. So, several younger people in my neighborhood call me Miss Debrand(pronounced MIZ Deb) and my husband, Mr. Debrand's Husband. This is very common in NC. The only person that I call the more formal Mrs. Last Name is a very old woman that I knew as a child.

I'm a little shocked that Doug is only a year older then me. For some reason, I thought he was in his fifties.

Just because you are an adult or a parent doesn't mean you deserve a child's respect.

Why do you have so much difficulty speaking for yourself and not for the rest of the world?

Did we see this? I just came across it.

Courage's 1st video

vimeo.com/43216736

I am not a native speaker or live in the US, but I always had the impression that everyone is on a first name basis. So, isn't it odd as someone who has worked so close with DP to call him Mr.? And saying "I/we love you" in the same sentence which I consider to be quite intimate? Plus, anybody else notices how many times they repeat the ILY?

Oh, I nearly forgot: Happy belated birthday to MR. Phillips who is a tool!

I just watched this.

It's sad. Kelly's voice breaks when she says god has just blessed them with baby number five. It's like she's crying at the thought that this is all there will ever be - an endless lone of babies.

She looks exhausted, and so not into it. As any woman who just gave birth a few days ago and has a baby in the NICU and four more at home would.

And why isn't Peter home helping take care of the other babies instead of making fanboy vids for Doug?

She looks exhausted, and so not into it. As any woman who just gave birth a few days ago and has a baby in the NICU and four more at home would.

And why isn't Peter home helping take care of the other babies instead of making fanboy vids for Doug?

Because that would involve work.

Any clue how they pay the hospital bill? I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I wasn't sure if I ever saw an answer.

Why do you have so much difficulty speaking for yourself and not for the rest of the world?

I have no idea. Do you have any helpful suggestions?

Any clue how they pay the hospital bill? I know this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I wasn't sure if I ever saw an answer.

Scamaritan was brought up a few times, but I think Peter is too busy with the aforementioned ass-kissing videos to have provided an answer. Somehow, I doubt BRADRICK provides awesome health care...

I saw that today and thought the same thing!!

I saw it on the Photostream and instantly captioned it, "What the FUCK have I gotten myself into?"

I saw it on the Photostream and instantly captioned it, "What the FUCK have I gotten myself into?"

Why would he post an unflattering picture of his obviously unhappy wife?

But then, why would any man in his right mind refer to his trophy wife as sturdy?

He's not great on sensitivity.

Re blood sugar - forgot to mention that my daughter was born with low blood sugar 3 weeks early (and 9 pounds!) because of my diabetes. Seems to me a 5 pound baby 5 weeks early is kinda, well, big?

My niece was a (confirmed) 36-weeker and born at 7 lb 9 oz. My sister didn't have gestational diabetes either. So no, 5lb at 5 weeks early isn't big.

Archived