IGNORED

Duggars on Today Show next week MERGED

lilwriter85

I currently attend a Methodist church that does emphasize a Holy Week versus Easter Sunday but that has varied among Methodist churches that I've attended. I attended an American Baptist church during my teen years and our youth group discussed giving up items for Lent.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you guys seen this yet?

duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-new-photos.html

That doesn't look like a foodbaby to me.

Definitely pregnant. And if they're posting pictures where it's that obvious, then they must be planning a reveal verrrrry soon.

What about Palm Sunday? In my Protestant church, this was definitely celebrated (I think Good Friday was mentioned too, although I'm not sure). Do most Protestants celebrate Palm Sunday, and wouldn't that be considered part of Holy Week?

On a side note, I remember talking to an Evangelical Christian friend years ago. This girl was a militant Christian and was adamant that her faith was her whole life. When I casually asked her if she was giving up anything for Lent, she had no idea what Lent is. When I reacted with surprise, she flipped her shit. But I guess it's somewhat normal among Evangelical Christians not to observe the liturgical calendar in the slightest?

Depends on the tradition, but generally non-denominational evangelical churches don't observe the liturgical calendar beyond Easter Sunday and Christmas. I know of churches like that in the UK who don't even have Christmas Day services which seems so odd to me.

I never even heard of Maundy Thursday until I was in my 30s. Good Friday was for traveling to Grandma's house.

This is the first I've heard of it. :oops: :?

Um... WOW. :shock:

Meh, when you get your picture taken that often, there's bound to be a horrifically unflattering one floating around somewhere.

well this is a fan run blog so the Duggars have nothing to do with whats there. I'm reading the comments interesting talking about a courtship going on?

we get 2 hours of today at 7 and 8.. but at 9am its Live with Kelly then the Today show is on again at 10am and then at 11am the Kathy Lee and Hoda. I wonder if its split up everywhere or if we just get a taped segment thats played a hour after.

My guide showed Tori Spelling on today yet I know she was on yesterday, tomorrows guide doesn't show the Duggars either.

What about Palm Sunday? In my Protestant church, this was definitely celebrated (I think Good Friday was mentioned too, although I'm not sure). Do most Protestants celebrate Palm Sunday, and wouldn't that be considered part of Holy Week?

On a side note, I remember talking to an Evangelical Christian friend years ago. This girl was a militant Christian and was adamant that her faith was her whole life. When I casually asked her if she was giving up anything for Lent, she had no idea what Lent is. When I reacted with surprise, she flipped her shit. But I guess it's somewhat normal among Evangelical Christians not to observe the liturgical calendar in the slightest?

THIS. I was talking with a girl that I was graduating from college with about Catholicism and Evangelical CHristianity and was trying to ask about the differences in Easter Mass. (I was under the impression that she was raised Catholic and converted during her sophmore year, but she was denying it nastily or I was just misinformed. whoops) Like, going to a Catholic church, I remember the incredibly long gospel reading and the congregation reading the crowd parts about crucifying Christ and denying Christ (I burst into tears when I was a kid "noooo... I love Jesus! Stop ittttt!!! :crying-green: ") and asked if Protestant faiths had anything similar. She fought back with how she's not Protestant, she's a born again Christian and she loves Jesus and would never say that. EVER. I was trying to describe the emotion, symbolism, how Jesus loves us even though we sin/practically kill him because we sin, and Catholic guilt, but she would not listen at all.

This is the first I've heard of it. :oops: :?

I keep "correcting" it to Holy Thursday in my head. I also found out a few years ago that the day before is Spy Wednesday when Judas met with the Sanhedrin and agreed to betray Jesus. Though I don't think there's any special celebrations.

THIS. I was talking with a girl that I was graduating from college with about Catholicism and Evangelical CHristianity and was trying to ask about the differences in Easter Mass. (I was under the impression that she was raised Catholic and converted during her sophmore year, but she was denying it nastily or I was just misinformed. whoops) Like, going to a Catholic church, I remember the incredibly long gospel reading and the congregation reading the crowd parts about crucifying Christ and denying Christ (I burst into tears when I was a kid "noooo... I love Jesus! Stop ittttt!!! :crying-green: ") and asked if Protestant faiths had anything similar. She fought back with how she's not Protestant, she's a born again Christian and she loves Jesus and would never say that. EVER. I was trying to describe the emotion, symbolism, how Jesus loves us even though we sin/practically kill him because we sin, and Catholic guilt, but she would not listen at all.

I think there is a lot of anti-Catholicism amongst evangelicals, and it sucks. I've moved from evangelicalism to liberalism within the Anglican church, and with that has come much more appreciation of the liturgical calendar - my evangelical Anglican church acknowledged the bare minimum that they had to, but never embraced it as an important part of church life (although Holy Week did get some attention). That makes me sad, honestly, because for me the liturgical year is a way of marking one's spiritual life in a tangible way, and doing it with those who share your faith and therefore to an extent share your spiritual journey.

I keep "correcting" it to Holy Thursday in my head. I also found out a few years ago that the day before is Spy Wednesday when Judas met with the Sanhedrin and agreed to betray Jesus. Though I don't think there's any special celebrations.

I have never heard of Spy Wednesday! In England on Maundy Thursday the monarch distributes money to senior citizens, one man and one woman for each year of the monarch's age (although it is special Maundy money rather than regular money). Until the death of James II the monarch also washed the feet of certain poor people on this day.

I like Easter Monday, which where I grew up was Dyngus Day. It's mainly a Polish tradition.

We Brooklyns are heathens (read: Jewish). Our annual holiday is Easter Monday, during which we go to the store and buy all the candy we want for half price. You should try it.

I like Easter Monday, which where I grew up was Dyngus Day. It's mainly a Polish tradition.

You from South Bend, by any chance?

Ah giving pisanki on Wet Monday.

We Brooklyns are heathens (read: Jewish). Our annual holiday is Easter Monday, during which we go to the store and buy all the candy we want for half price. You should try it.

Lapsed Catholics-turned-agnostics celebrate that one, too. And if you ever happen to wander in when reasonably good stuff is left at 75% off, well, then you know somebody up there likes you. :pray:

When it's 50% off you get the whole selection. Later the price drops to 75% or even 90% off, but the selection becomes increasingly poor. It's a balancing act.

Am I the only one who grew up with entirely secular Easter? I think I was in late elementary school before I realized there was an actual Christian component to it. Might as well have been called Cadbury Sunday or Spring Festival.

Am I the only one who grew up with entirely secular Easter? I think I was in late elementary school before I realized there was an actual Christian component to it. Might as well have been called Cadbury Sunday or Spring Festival.

I went to a jewish day school when I was a kid. i had no clue that Easter had any religious meaning until middle school when I asked some kid why all the Christians were celebrating a bunny that brings eggs.

No, the holidays in my family were/are all secular. We only went to church regularly for the first few years of my life, and even then it was Unitarian Universalist. I did, however, know about some of the significance behind them due to both Sunday School classes and my voracious reading habits.

Have you guys seen this yet?

duggarsblog.blogspot.com/2012/04/more-new-photos.html

That doesn't look like a foodbaby to me.

Omg the comments on this make me want to barf.

DuggarFamilyBlogMoreNewPhotos.png

DuggarFamilyBlogMoreNewPhotos-2.png

Really? So God says to pimp out your family for money on t.v.? God wants people to give birth on a toilet? Or have really bad helmut hair? Apparently, I'm reading the wrong Bible.

My favorite holiday! Discount jelly beans are the best.

Archived