IGNORED

Duggars on Today Show next week MERGED

lilwriter85

I grew up with both the secular Easter and the religious Easter. We don't have any special events that go on, but our church services on Easter always involve talks about the resurrection of Christ (and the atonement, of course).

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the first i've ever heard of it too...off to google what it is

Catholics call it Holy Thursday. It celebrates both the institution by Christ himself of the Eucharist and of the institution of the sacerdotal priesthood for in this, His last supper with the disciples, a celebration of Passover, He is the self-offered Passover Victim, and every ordained priest to this day presents this same sacrifice, by Christ's authority and command, in exactly the same way. The Last Supper was also Christ's farewell to His assembled disciples, some of whom would betray, desert or deny Him before the sun rose again.

This is the Mass where the priest washes the feet of selected parishioners (at least in my parish) just as Jesus did at the Last Supper. This is the last Mass before the Easter Vigil on Saturday night (We have a service on Good Friday, but it is not a Mass). At the end of Holy Thursday Mass, in anticipation of Good Friday, the alter is stripped and any holy water is removed from the fonts. Candles are taken out and the Eucharist is adored. The people watch over the Eucharist just as the disciples were supposed to watch over Jesus in the garden.

Those in England, who left the rule of the Catholic Church, started using the term "Maundy Thursday".

Holy Thursday is when the "Hushers" come out at our parish. You are supposed to leave the church in silence. Since the people in my parish can't seem to remember this, selected people are stationed at the doors from the Sanctuary and in the Narthex to "HUSH" people who start talking. It's fun to watch. The hushers take their jobs seriously.

I better get myself into gear or I am going to be late for Holy Thursday... I have to get their early because there won't be any parking spots. All the Chreasters (Catholics who come to church on Christmas and Easter) will start coming out of the woodwork tonight.

sigh. i understand why people (well, specifically christians) don't "get" or like the high-churchy stuff, but i don't understand the anti-liturgy sentiment, or the anti-observance of the liturgical calendar. This week is the absolute crux of Christianity, IMHO.

I'm Lutheran and I agree. I've never understood the anti-liturgy position, aside from the notion that it's "too Catholic". I rather like having a structure to the church year. I wish I could go to church tonight and tomorrow and Saturday, but my husband's work hours and the kiddo's sleep schedule don't allow for it.

Catholics call it Holy Thursday. It celebrates both the institution by Christ himself of the Eucharist and of the institution of the sacerdotal priesthood for in this, His last supper with the disciples, a celebration of Passover, He is the self-offered Passover Victim, and every ordained priest to this day presents this same sacrifice, by Christ's authority and command, in exactly the same way. The Last Supper was also Christ's farewell to His assembled disciples, some of whom would betray, desert or deny Him before the sun rose again.

This is the Mass where the priest washes the feet of selected parishioners (at least in my parish) just as Jesus did at the Last Supper. This is the last Mass before the Easter Vigil on Saturday night (We have a service on Good Friday, but it is not a Mass). At the end of Holy Thursday Mass, in anticipation of Good Friday, the alter is stripped and any holy water is removed from the fonts. Candles are taken out and the Eucharist is adored. The people watch over the Eucharist just as the disciples were supposed to watch over Jesus in the garden.

Those in England, who left the rule of the Catholic Church, started using the term "Maundy Thursday".

Holy Thursday is when the "Hushers" come out at our parish. You are supposed to leave the church in silence. Since the people in my parish can't seem to remember this, selected people are stationed at the doors from the Sanctuary and in the Narthex to "HUSH" people who start talking. It's fun to watch. The hushers take their jobs seriously.

I better get myself into gear or I am going to be late for Holy Thursday... I have to get their early because there won't be any parking spots. All the Chreasters (Catholics who come to church on Christmas and Easter) will start coming out of the woodwork tonight.

The Holy Weeks practiced were the same in the parish I attended with my family.

The Queen has been out and about here today distributing the Maundy Money (yawn). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Maundy

I hold out for the 75-90%. I can ALWAYS get some peeps and black jelly beans. MMMMmmm black jelly beans...

Totally hoping for some downmarked Hotel Chocolat but I will settle for this: thorntons-continental-viennese-truffle-easter-egg.jpg

I found a bunch of broken bunnies in the bargain bin at Market of Choice the other day.Good Euphoria dark and light. I paid about $12 for 4lbs and immediately bagged most of them up and put them in the freezer. :lol: I did leave out a a couple of heads and legs :D

I found a bunch of broken bunnies in the bargain bin at Market of Choice the other day.Good Euphoria dark and light. I paid about $12 for 4lbs and immediately bagged most of them up and put them in the freezer. :lol: I did leave out a a couple of heads and legs :D

Sometimes we would give away broken chocolate stuff or hugely discount it people went nuts over that!

You said that so beautiful! I Love being Cathoic

i grew up episcopalian (anglican), and holy week is one of THE most meaningful times in the church year.

In fact, i think the symbolism my church brings to holy week is probably the most meaningful of the year for me...From Good Friday (the day Christ died) to Easter Sunday (the resurrection), the host (bread and wine, body and blood), fonts of holy water, altar cloths, etc, are removed to symbolize that there is no christ in the world.

It's serious, and somber, and (to me), the crux of my faith.

sigh. i understand why people (well, specifically christians) don't "get" or like the high-churchy stuff, but i don't understand the anti-liturgy sentiment, or the anti-observance of the liturgical calendar. This week is the absolute crux of Christianity, IMHO.

This is a great post. You have nudged me a couple feet towards becoming an Anglican :)

Aww thx. Good Friday always really gets to me.

Also, if you go anglican, we have booze at the church picnic. Just sayin.

Sometimes we would give away broken chocolate stuff or hugely discount it people went nuts over that!

Yea I snagged about $30 worth of really high quality, locally made product.

Yea I snagged about $30 worth of really high quality, locally made product.

If the place you bought it from is anything like the store I worked at at the end of the season what ever doesnt sell either A) goes to a food bank or B) goes into the dumpsters. Just incase you're looking for some dumpster diving finds of good fancy chocolates.

If the place you bought it from is anything like the store I worked at at the end of the season what ever doesnt sell either A) goes to a food bank or B) goes into the dumpsters. Just incase you're looking for some dumpster diving finds of good fancy chocolates.

Food bank is a big commitment around here, I don't think anyone has been able to successfully dive for food in this town for about 10 years. I know when I had to depend on FB last year it was all very high quality stuff. I know it's posed a problem for our meal programs too, lots of folks don't want lobster bisque or curried lamb sausages.

Food bank is a big commitment around here, I don't think anyone has been able to successfully dive for food in this town for about 10 years. I know when I had to depend on FB last year it was all very high quality stuff. I know it's posed a problem for our meal programs too, lots of folks don't want lobster bisque or curried lamb sausages.

Every year our store closed down and we went through everything to check expiration dates and deshelve the stuff we know longer wanted to sell. THe stuff that was still good we gave to food banks-cases and cases of stuff- candy, chips, salsa, pretzels, drinks, pasta sauce, pasta etc... Its an upper priced store but I wouldn't say its high end stuffbut even people who aren't used to fancy stuff at least know pasta is pasta etc..

Wow, that's a good price per pound even for plain old M&Ms!

That explains a few things for me. I was wondering why I never saw an Advent wreath at their home, but that's the same explanation.

On a side note, I am going to all three services this year: Maunday Thursday, Good Friday and Easter. I am excited, as I usually had to work Easter and at least one of the others, so this is the first year since childhood I will be at all three.

I belong to the United Church of Canada, and we have services on Good Friday and Easter. Good Friday services is usually exceptionally sombre, the minister ends the service sadly and everyone walks out silently with no music. Easter Sunday makes up for having to act so gloomy around your church friends, because it's super joyful. But not excited about the Good Friday service, especially since I'll be out of town for Easter Sunday.

I've already missed Maundy Thursday and there's going to be a community Good Friday service I can't make it to either because of work, but Saturday night there's an Easter Vigil service I have to sing at (being in the choir) and then of course Sunday morning. I'll be in church a lot this weekend!

I hear they bring out the incence for Easter. I hope nobody waves it too close to the choir; I got a faceful at Christmas and it made singing...difficult...

You said that so beautiful! I Love being Cathoic

I also love being Catholic!

Our Priest used "Scarface" as the basis of his homily tonight. No joke! It totally made sense. And people think Catholics are boring. If they only knew! We totally promote gambling, we encourage drinking and you can go to Mass on Saturday night and sleep in on Sunday.

JB and Mullet wouldn't have known anything about the movie "Scarface" and they would have been offended by the bilingual music we use. The Hispanic Ministry has some catchy music ( our parish is very diverse- Hispanic, Indian, African, etc- literally a huge melting pot) and we have a very active Hispanic Music Ministry. Many times we use bilingual music. That would have too much of a beat and make the J'slaves want to dance. However, Jill could have put her Spanish to good use, trying to interpret the second reading, the Homily and the communion song for the other J'slaves. She could have made friends with some of our Hispanic members, too. They could have taken Jill in and made her feel right at home while helping her to improve her Spanish.

I belong to the United Church of Canada, and we have services on Good Friday and Easter. Good Friday services is usually exceptionally sombre, the minister ends the service sadly and everyone walks out silently with no music. Easter Sunday makes up for having to act so gloomy around your church friends, because it's super joyful. But not excited about the Good Friday service, especially since I'll be out of town for Easter Sunday.

The United Church of Canada looks cool. Do you know if there are versions of that denomination (or something similar) in other countries? I'm reading the Wikipedia but so far I can't tell...

We had secular Easter too. I remember when I was six I asked my mom why we had Easter Monday. She told me it was to rest from eating all the chocolate you ate on Easter Sunday. I learned about Holy Week and Lent by the time I was in junior high. We never celebrated it religiously. We have secular Christmas but my mom insists on having a nativity scene because her grandfather did. That's the extent of religion in our Christmas.

Just saw the preview of the Today Show next week- Looks like it's "A Day in the life of the Duggars"... can't we see that every week on TLC? YAWN.... Makes me think this is just another opportunity for them to fame whore on another channel. Just my opinion of what we will see next week. Feel free to discuss.

I also love being Catholic!

Our Priest used "Scarface" as the basis of his homily tonight. No joke! It totally made sense. And people think Catholics are boring. If they only knew! We totally promote gambling, we encourage drinking and you can go to Mass on Saturday night and sleep in on Sunday.

JB and Mullet wouldn't have known anything about the movie "Scarface" and they would have been offended by the bilingual music we use. The Hispanic Ministry has some catchy music ( our parish is very diverse- Hispanic, Indian, African, etc- literally a huge melting pot) and we have a very active Hispanic Music Ministry. Many times we use bilingual music. That would have too much of a beat and make the J'slaves want to dance. However, Jill could have put her Spanish to good use, trying to interpret the second reading, the Homily and the communion song for the other J'slaves. She could have made friends with some of our Hispanic members, too. They could have taken Jill in and made her feel right at home while helping her to improve her Spanish.

Haha We should talk! I don't know if they would have minded the spanish but the sad thing is they will never go to a Catholic Mass. They don't know what they are missing. Heck at least at our wedding receptions we can DANCE haha. I love when homilies are real to life.

I used to think it would be a good idea for the Duggars to go to different churches beyond what they know.

A promo Shows the Duggars will be on Mon.

Finally, I watched the Today show all week!

I guess the Duggars had to send Jana to Gothard headquarters and catch up on 'school'

Those Duggars are BUSY!

Archived