IGNORED

Burrito making day(s) at the Maxwell house.... (new blog)

Justme

Guest Anonymous

I think there is another thread on this somewhere where we discussed the 2 day cooking process for this relatively simple meal... Steve said in an earlier post that the recipe serves 9 people for 9-10 meals, so they don't seem to have huge portions.

I remember having crappy meals like burritos to fit in with a several-times-a-Sunday church schedule. Now I am a happy heathen, Sunday lunch is a big roast dinner with all the trimmings, and all the family, and is a real day of rest. :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have done the whole meal schedule, and we have done without it as well. I have no problem with planning meals ahead but the Maxwells' sound boring. Like, on my meal plan we had chicken stir-fry and brown rice every Tuesday, but I varied the sauce between Thai satay, green curry, teriyaki, etc.

We eat refried bean burritos sometimes (I assume that is what this recipe makes, just looking at the ingredients). I often make the filling ahead and freeze it... if you don't count the time that the beans are cooking in the crockpot, you are looking at an hour or so of work for one person to make enough filling for aroud 40 servings. I know they are feeding more than seven people, but I still don't get how so much manpower is needed.

My theory is that this is what passes for a hobby in the Maxwell home. Making burritos is the highlight of their week.

Isn't Sunday dinner supposed to be something special? While the bean burritos sound tasty, it also sounds like a meager meal.

It concerns me that they leave pots cooking on the stove overnight. In the crockpot? Fine. But, not on the stove.

Yes, I am under the impression that most Christians make nice Sunday dinners; nicer than frozen burritos, at least. My husband and I always make a nice Sunday dinner and have friends/family over. We have a mixed religion household, so I can make nice Sabbath meals on three consecutive days per week if I want.

they are feeding more than seven people, but I still don't get how so much manpower is needed.

I wondered the same thing. I have a hypothesis that when your time is scheduled in 15 minute increments, you pretty much have time to wash your hands. So of course it's taking them days to do it.

Isn't Sunday dinner supposed to be something special? While the bean burritos sound tasty, it also sounds like a meager meal.

It concerns me that they leave pots cooking on the stove overnight. In the crockpot? Fine. But, not on the stove.

My dad grew up in an Italian Catholic family. The Sunday dinner was THE dinner of the week. There was lots of good food, good wine, and often company. Dinner was last for hours. The dinner was something like roast chicken, a roast, a ham and all the trimmings. Plus, there was always a pasta dish as well, pasta with meatballs, lasagne, gnocchi.

When my Dad makes marinara sauce he cooks it overnight on low (low and slow is the way to go for a good marinara sauce, trust me plus then you can have sauce on toast in the morning YUM!). He does have an electric range though, maybe it would be a different story with a gas range, though I'm guessing his mom made it on a gas range.

I love burritos/tacos/enchiladas too and manage to eat it about once a week, so I can't fault her there, but their recipe seems to require so much work. I like to make these: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/refried-beans-without-the-refry/detail.aspx and they are really good and while it's still an all day recipe, the onions and peppers cook with the beans so it's complete in about 8 hours (and all in the crock pot--no need to keep checking every 15 minutes to see if they are burning)

I wondered the same thing. I have a hypothesis that when your time is scheduled in 15 minute increments, you pretty much have time to wash your hands. So of course it's taking them days to do it.

Also, I think that's what they may do for fun. I mean, when you don't approve of fun, and you can like Pepsi so much it's an idol, burrito making is probably pretty darn exciting. I mean, what else do they have to do?

Poor Sarah--she'll have to eat tuna salad when the rest eat YUMMY! burritos. She has sinned and made them an idol. 10 more years living at home for you!
:lol:

Yes, doesn't she know by now that if you like something it's a sin?

When I was a kid, we ate out at restaurants like Red Lobster after church on Sundays. My mom didn't want to cook; it was chaotic enough getting 3 kids up, dressed nicely, and out the door for church and Sunday school!

Let me get this straight - they freaking puree the onions? That's just wrong.

When I want a burrito I hit Moe's and get a Homewrecker. I don't soak and cook beans overnight and then add jalapenos and onion puree to it, followed by pureeing the whole mess in my Kitchenaid.

I grew up in South Texas, and love refried beans, but the way I learned to make them is by cooking them all day at a low boil WITH onion, garlic, a little fresh tomato, jalapeno if you want (optional), and oil (lard is even better). The lard or oil gives the beans a much better flavor. And when the beans have cooked so long that all they want to do is stick to the pot, then you mash them all up with a potato masher. You wouldn't have to puree the onion or anything beforehand, because after cooking so long they all turn to mush on their own (I barely even cut up the onion or garlic). The flavors get cooked in the beans. I don't understand why do that in two separate steps!

I think it's a little funny they call this "Burrito filling" and not just refried beans. They way it was described, I thought it would be something really amazing. But not really.

It seems like a whole lot of work for a burrito. I get that my style of burrito, made with beans from a can, isn't as good as something slow-cooked for hours, BUT if what I want is something quick? It gets the job done.

That recipe doesn't seem good enough (to me) to be worth the time involved. If I spend 2 days cooking (and cleaning!) the result better be EPIC.

I grew up in South Texas, and love refried beans, but the way I learned to make them is by cooking them all day at a low boil WITH onion, garlic, a little fresh tomato, jalapeno if you want (optional), and oil (lard is even better). The lard or oil gives the beans a much better flavor. And when the beans have cooked so long that all they want to do is stick to the pot, then you mash them all up with a potato masher. You wouldn't have to puree the onion or anything beforehand, because after cooking so long they all turn to mush on their own (I barely even cut up the onion or garlic). The flavors get cooked in the beans. I don't understand why do that in two separate steps!

I know I wondered too. way too much cooking time and the silly thing about getting both pots the same. you can boil them faster for most of the time and do it in 3 or 4 hours. It's even better to fry up some bacon and onion then cook the beans in that.

I read this post and wondered why one of the girls (or TerrI) didn't look down at her chore pack and see "make burritos" instead of almost forgetting about it.

Could it be they don't use the crap they peddle to others?

That recipe doesn't seem good enough (to me) to be worth the time involved. If I spend 2 days cooking (and cleaning!) the result better be EPIC.

Likewise. But Steve would never let them cook an amazing epic meal because tasty food is a temptation to the sin of gluttony and also the girls might have fun cooking it, which would take the focus off the fact that the only things Maxwells are allowed to enjoy are working, praying, and fellowshipping with their immediate family.

They live such structured, boring, mundane, controlled lives. It would drive me mad.

Families like the Sander's, Morton's, Smith's, etc...for all their fundiness actually live life and enjoy it! If there isn't something specific going on, the kids make something happen even if it's taking their camera out and playing with pictures. The Sanders girls are always posting a gazillion pictures of their fun. They have friends and interact with other people and other families. They at least seem to honestly enjoy their lives and choices. The more the Maxwell's post, the sadder I am that there are people on this planet living such miserable lives.

The last Sanders post was about spending the day at a friend's lake house. The last Maxwell post, the entire family making refried beans for three days.

If I were of the mind to want to find a fundie family to emulate, guess which I'd choose.

Ugh - I don't know how to phrase this right. I really wonder how much clinical depression is involved in their choices of "fun." Their life just seems so sad to me. Everything that would be fun goes the way of an idol. I wish I could convince them that it is (more than) OK to enjoy things such as Pepsi, Burritos, cooking etc.

Hey y'all---Been lurking here on and off for YEARS, and finally got myself registered this morning!

Sweetpea1- Maybe their life doesn't seem so sad, because they haven't got anything to compare it to? At least the younger ones, all they know is dreariness and cleaning and soupy bean burritos (seriously...when I eat, I want to chew, not eat baby food!), so maybe their bland life doesn't seem so bad by comparison. They just don't know any better. The older ones...well, early childhood memories do seem to fade, so...? Goodness, I don't know, it still sounds miserable to me.

THAT SAID, I grew up in the same region (KC kid here!), and as much as people whine about the Midwest, there are some legitimately cool and fun things (that don't involve strip clubs or booze) to do less than an hour from their home in Leavenworth, and there is no way possible they can't know about some of them, especially since I've seen pictures of them traveling through my part of the city.

I've always wanted to visit them, but my parents know I creep online and tend to put the kibosh on my dreams of me knocking on their door wearing my favorite pair of jeans or sexy red dress (I live with my parents during the summer and attend college out of state during the school year). I've traveled through Leavenworth a couple times on my way to academic competitions, and it's kind of a dreary place, or, as my mother's friend puts it (Leavenworth is the location of a fairly large federal prison- where Michael Vick was held, actually), "everyone in Leavenworth is doing time, whether they're in prison or not!" I feel like this especially applies to the Maxwells.

I've thought about before - I don't think the younger kids know any better. The older ones probably do, but they've been brainwashed enough by Steve that they probably think of those memories as their sinful and worldly days.

Has anyone ever asked Steve - and gotten a response - about how Sarah is ever going to meet a husband living such a highly sheltered life? I tend to think if someone phrased it politely he might answer. Isn't she 30? Didn't she write before about hoping to be married someday? Would it be considered a sin for to hope to be married someday?

TMS- Asked, almost certainly. Gotten a reply? I'm going to have to go with NO on that one. It would make Steve seem less than totally infalliable to actually acknowledge that there may be flaws in his family plan. And if you see that your leader isn't infalliable, well that just leads to revolution, anarchy, and abortions. Every.Single.Time.

I've thought about before - I don't think the younger kids know any better. The older ones probably do, but they've been brainwashed enough by Steve that they probably think of those memories as their sinful and worldly days.

Has anyone ever asked Steve - and gotten a response - about how Sarah is ever going to meet a husband living such a highly sheltered life? I tend to think if someone phrased it politely he might answer. Isn't she 30? Didn't she write before about hoping to be married someday? Would it be considered a sin for to hope to be married someday?

My guess is, the best way to get a response out of Steve would be to pose as a homeschooling dad who is concerned about his own stay-at-home daughter's prospects and leave Sarah out of it.

They live such structured, boring, mundane, controlled lives. It would drive me mad.

Families like the Sander's, Morton's, Smith's, etc...for all their fundiness actually live life and enjoy it! If there isn't something specific going on, the kids make something happen even if it's taking their camera out and playing with pictures. The Sanders girls are always posting a gazillion pictures of their fun. They have friends and interact with other people and other families. They at least seem to honestly enjoy their lives and choices. The more the Maxwell's post, the sadder I am that there are people on this planet living such miserable lives.

The last Sanders post was about spending the day at a friend's lake house. The last Maxwell post, the entire family making refried beans for three days.

If I were of the mind to want to find a fundie family to emulate, guess which I'd choose.

I'm personally tempted to invite myself to their next chicken-butcherin'...only the Sanders could make a day of removing feathers and appendages looks like a trip to Six Flags.

He wished them away into a cornfield. (Yes, I believe the Maxwells live in the twilight zone)

Terri wrote a Mom's corner about her "addiction" to Pepsi. Apparently she liked drinking Pepsi. Steve Terri, decided that enjoyment of Pepsi was bad. It had become an idol. So Steve Terri decided to give it up.

When demgirl and clibbyjo crashed the Maxwell conference a while ago, Steve told a story about how Jessie really liked to play an instrument. Steve worried that he was beginning to idolize it, and it would take pieces of his heart away from god. So Steve asked him to give it up. He did. Steve is a turd.

Geez,that man is demented.

What I find most disturbing is the fact a 29 year old woman has no choice in what she has for lunch! If she wants a damn burrito on Wed she should be able to! But no, she is only allowed to eat "yummy burritos" on Sunday!

When she said "want to know a secret?" I was hoping she was going to say she had side work as a dominatrix or something, but no, her big "secret" is that she still likes burritos.

I found that kind of sad too. She sounded so guilty over the fact that she loves burritos. I love Mexican/southwest food too...so I eat whenever I want :D

Archived