IGNORED

Burrito making day(s) at the Maxwell house.... (new blog)

Justme

They sell those things to make a profit. I think it's pretty cheesy to invite "friends" to help you assemble them. This is not the first time they have had "friends" do work for them.

I honestly didn't know they had friends. The only people I have seen them hang out with are family and various senior citizens in retirement/care homes.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 day beans is confusing to me too. Are they cooking them on the lowest possible setting? Is soaking overnight counted in the 3 days?

Here's my recipe, since some are sharing. :)

4 cups dry beans, soaked overnight with a spoonful of apple cider vinegar and baking soda in the water (this makes them less "musical" ;))

Drain and rinse. Add to a stock pot with...

1.5 times as much fresh water as there are beans (it doesn't have to be an exact measurement--add more if you like them mushy)

1 large red onion, chopped very fine

5 large cloves garlic, minced

4 tbsp ground cumin

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp sea salt

3 carrots, broken into thirds

3 stalks celery, broken into thirds

Bring to a boil and let boil for 20 minutes. Turn down to a low boil and continue cooking for 3 more hours or until desired texture. Stir ocassionally to prevent burning.

Edit - I know the carrots and celery sound weird with beans but just try it! They add a nice bit of flavor. The beans are just as good without them too.

Guest Anonymous

Like Masagoroll, I make plenty of bean and cheese tacos with bought ingredients for breakfast and lunches. However, I have my mother's copy of "the Mexican Kitchen" by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, and I am not afraid to use it. Even the most complicated dishes plus sides can be knocked out in an afternoon, and I consider myself a good plain cook, not a truly accomplished one.

OT - anybody in the Greater Houston area interested in getting together for a tamalada? They are too much work and not enough fun to make by myself, but I have masa and cornhusks.....

There is still time for taco bell, fourth meal and all.

I wish there was one close to my house. Cheap, easy and no washing dishes after the meal.

I swear these people can ruin anything. Wonder if daddy prays to god to bless his beans?

I knew this crazy preacher lady (who looked the the mother from the movie "Carrie"). She would pray over *everything*. She spent most of her day praying or speaking in tongues. I sometimes wondered if she used that to get out of working and how sincere she was. I heard through the grapevine that she had an affair and her husband cleaned her out in divorce court.

Since cheap frozen burritos were mentioned, I have to throw in my two cents. Try microwaving them just enough to thaw a little, and then fry them in oil! I know, terribly unhealthy but it changes the flavor completely. I do love good homemade Mexican food, but sometimes I just want a cheap frozen (fried) burrito.

Since cheap frozen burritos were mentioned, I have to throw in my two cents. Try microwaving them just enough to thaw a little, and then fry them in oil! I know, terribly unhealthy but it changes the flavor completely. I do love good homemade Mexican food, but sometimes I just want a cheap frozen (fried) burrito.

This is exactly what I do!! I don't eat them very often, but when I do I figure the frozen cheap burritos are already terribly unhealthy (just read the list of 1,000 unpronounceable ingredients), and frying it up in a little oil isn't going to make much difference. This method makes them SOOOOO good. I can't eat one that's just been microwaved.

Like Masagoroll, I make plenty of bean and cheese tacos with bought ingredients for breakfast and lunches. However, I have my mother's copy of "the Mexican Kitchen" by Elisabeth Lambert Ortiz, and I am not afraid to use it. Even the most complicated dishes plus sides can be knocked out in an afternoon, and I consider myself a good plain cook, not a truly accomplished one.

OT - anybody in the Greater Houston area interested in getting together for a tamalada? They are too much work and not enough fun to make by myself, but I have masa and cornhusks.....

Wish I could! I would love to learn to make tamales (I'll try almost anything from scratch at least once) but haven't gotten around to trying yet.

Denimjumper, would you share your chicken taco recipe with us? And Jessica, thank you for your bean recipe. Now I have a craving and will need to make burritos for dinner this week.

The menu list posted from 2007 sounded rather limited to me, for a household with so many girls and women to cook-and you know it will be the females who do it. Do you suppose the men at least handle the grill? Or do they not use one? I was thinking that their food choices may be simple so as to not take much time away from assembling chore packs and such. Grilling would be easy, but I don't ever recall them mentioning doing that.

Interestingly enough, we have seen the Maxwell boys cook meals for special occasions, and they look like they enjoy being in the kitchen and have good skills. I like Jesse, Joseph and John, from what I have seen they respect their sisters and their mom and appear to value them.

I found that kind of sad too. She sounded so guilty over the fact that she loves burritos. I love Mexican/southwest food too...so I eat whenever I want :D

Maybe she is sick to death of those soupy pureed burritos and figured if she wrote how much she loved them Steve would forbid her to ever eat a burrito again.

I wonder if Steve lets the family read passages about feasts and celebrations when they study the Bible.

Probably not. Because, don't you know, feasts and celebrations are actually fun, happy times where I think we can assume the participants actually enjoyed their food. That's a big no-no in the Maxwell household!

Do you guys remember the entry where Steve made everybody eat a lobster? The kids had never tried one before and for some reason it was really, really important to Steve that they have that experience. I think they melted butter in Uriah's microwave and everyone had their own little dixie cup to dip the lobster in. Christopher was making the most hilarious face: obviously revolted, but trying so hard to look enthusiastic. Anyway, none of them liked it and that's the last I ever heard of the Maxwells eating a food that could be considered even slightly upscale.

And, you know, not only are there feasts and celebrations in the Bible, but Jesus even drank wine. I bet the Maxwells skip that part too, or decide that in the ancient middle east people actually drank unfermented grape juice and just called it wine.

I've been lurking here for months. Couldn't resist.

Welcome. I eagerly await your avatar!

Sacrilicious, just noticed your avatar this thread. LOVE IT!!! Even more than your screen name.

Welcome smooth beans.

I am eating tortilla chips, tzatziki and guac, inspired by this thread.

Do you guys remember the entry where Steve made everybody eat a lobster? The kids had never tried one before and for some reason it was really, really important to Steve that they have that experience. I think they melted butter in Uriah's microwave and everyone had their own little dixie cup to dip the lobster in. Christopher was making the most hilarious face: obviously revolted, but trying so hard to look enthusiastic. Anyway, none of them liked it and that's the last I ever heard of the Maxwells eating a food that could be considered even slightly upscale.

And, you know, not only are there feasts and celebrations in the Bible, but Jesus even drank wine. I bet the Maxwells skip that part too, or decide that in the ancient middle east people actually drank unfermented grape juice and just called it wine.

These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.

10 And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:

11 They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.

12 Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.

Oops...

I can't believe they had never had lobster before! Dh & I and all our kids LOVE lobster. And crab! I read the post and didn't see anything about them dipping it in melted butter. Sure makes a difference. Maybe they didn't dip it in any melted butter???

Once I got lobster in Malibu, and by the time I brought it to the picnic area where we were eating (which was very windy since we were right on the water), it had cooled off, so it wasn't the best tasting lobster. Melted butter helped redeem it though. :) Butter makes everything tasty.

Guest Anonymous
I swear these people can ruin anything. Wonder if daddy prays to god to bless his beans?

My husband has an obscene but accurate metaphor for them: they can fuck up a wet dream.

Archived