IGNORED

Burrito making day(s) at the Maxwell house.... (new blog)

Justme

I found that kind of sad too. She sounded so guilty over the fact that she loves burritos. I love Mexican/southwest food too...so I eat whenever I want :D

I, too, love Mexican food. It is always my choice when going out to eat. Making it at home isn't really cost effective for just myself so I don't often put in the effort. My Mexican food choice is also impacted by my great love of margaritas. The best ones generally come from the best Mexican restaurants so it easily falls into place. Saturday I ate with two friends at a new Mexican restaurant with a huge outdoor dining area and it was delicious and fun. I ate the leftovers yesterday. Two days of Mexican food for me!

But, I (like most grown adults outside Maxwell-land) get to make my choices about what I eat (and drink) and with whom and when and where. I also get to acknowledge what I love (Mexican food) and not have to worry about anyone taking it away from me for making it an idol. It is not a secret and there is no reason for it to be so.

Finally, I have to admit though that I do not consider the Maxwell's soup-like refried beans to be 'Mexican' food. Of course they call it burrito filling and of course they could add more when actually making the burritos like a sauce or some cheese, but just because their mashed beans contain pureed peppers and they put the stuff inside tortilla shells and call it a burrito does not make it a burrito.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised he hasn't decided that they're diet should entirely consist of protein biscuits (the sort the UN hands out to starving Africans) and water.

Oh Hell no! The UN is a communist organization turning women into feminists and not allowing God into the equation!!!

TVP is probably the best stuff they get. It's dirt cheap and tastes like it too unless you really season it, which we know would be sinful!!!

Strange, but given the menu they look VERY well fed......

NOW about Sarah and a Margarita! Count me in! Hopefully it would work like truth serum and we'd hear what she REALLY things for a change. When a family friend was mentioned in the new post, I was hopeful it was a man under 40 for poor Sarah.....

I had a dream that Sarah ended up with that awful looking Donald Staddon. Is he married? The Staddons are a family that may be fundy enough for Steve (although Robert's wedding looked like fun, in a fundy sort of way) and Donald has to be in his 30's (although he looks 45).

The Staddons are sure boring enough! Well Donald is anyway. :P Robert is 27 or 28 so if the Staddons were having their babies every 2 years for a while I think Donald would be about 31.

Blending onions for the burritos...I wonder if someone, read Steve, has issues with the texture or taste of an actual piece of onion. I know mothers who blend sauces because their children do not like the feel of an onion or mushroom, or they do it just to get get some vegetables into a vegetable hating child. You know they would not do it for anyone else in the family, but if Steve wanted smooth beans, they'd have smooth beans.

So I read the post about making the burritos and share with them via comments my receipe for Chicken tacos. Steve wrote me back personally and thanked me for it and said he was very sorry he wasn't going to post it because it would be hard to accept every receipe post they receive and they didn't want to make anyone feel rejected. It was a kind response.

I wrote back that that was fine (I can understand that; it isn't a cooking blog) but I hoped he'd try the receipe.

He wrote right back that it looked delicious and was passing it along to Anna to give it a try.

I felt like I have had my 15 minutes of fame. If you see a Chicken taco meal, well you can all thank me!!

It's like they're trying as hard as possible to replicate the texture and taste of a cheap frozen burrito. WTF.

meh, bean burritos are fine with me. I had no problems. But I prefer chicken in mine (as opposed to beef or just plain beans).

meh, bean burritos are fine with me. I had no problems. But I prefer chicken in mine (as opposed to beef or just plain beans).

ya but two to three times a week every week?

It's like they're trying as hard as possible to replicate the texture and taste of a cheap frozen burrito. WTF.

Which is actually pretty pathetic since cheap frozen burritos are absurdly cheap. A ten pack for $3.00. I always have them in my freezer. Beef & bean with chili's. I do add cheese on the top when I zap them in the microwave though and I always have a side of sour cream or even guacamole if I have it. They are my go-to convenience, quick food. And, the point of go-to convenience food is that is it quick and convenient. It is not something to emulate or try to reproduce, especially not if it takes days to do so.

I have nothing against bean burritos. I like them. But, the days long, entire family event they make it is weird. They also blend and puree everything, which makes it almost liquid. I also have nothing against making a whole lot of something to have in the freezer. I'm a family of one and I do that.

It's the fact that they're essentially making refried beans without the refried and calling it burrito filling. They're pureeing everything and basically making bean soup with some flavors. And even beyond all that, it is a venture that takes days and the entire family is involved. And they make a blog post about it like it is something major or exciting or special. It is food prep. Food prep that apparently even your adult children see as fun and note worthy (blog worthy) because they have no way of knowing anything better.

It is just weird and sad. Not to mention, an insult to good Mexican food.

ya but two to three times a week every week?

I thought they ate them on Sundays?

We would eat chicken tacos three times a week. We love them.

I totally will eat burritos multiple times a week. 'Cause mine are yummy. :D I'm happy to have one for lunch a couple of days a week, because what the kids like for lunch is kind of bland to me.

I think so many people left recipes because they thought the burrito's really sucked.

the burritos! BurriTOS! To and S want to be together! Why must you keep them apart???

Which is actually pretty pathetic since cheap frozen burritos are absurdly cheap. A ten pack for $3.00. I always have them in my freezer. Beef & bean with chili's. I do add cheese on the top when I zap them in the microwave though and I always have a side of sour cream or even guacamole if I have it. They are my go-to convenience, quick food. And, the point of go-to convenience food is that is it quick and convenient. It is not something to emulate or try to reproduce, especially not if it takes days to do so.

I used to do this in college! Microwave burritos with a slice of Muenster on top. But yeah, if I were to spend DAYS making food, I'd make something awesome!

I think the length of time is the most boggling thing. Do they have to stop and pray at every step? Like I said earlier in the thread, we make refried bean burritos often, but they are quick... that's the point. Tonight I am making chicken tikka kabobs with saffron rice and the meal will take me a little more than an hour total.

Like someone else said, if I am cooking for days, it had better be for something really outstanding. Bean burritos are not worth that much time.

Seriously. If I were to spend four days with a brigade of eight cooking a meal, it's going to be Thomas Keller's boeuf bourguignon. Not frozen burritos, especially when a fine, healthful meal can be on the table in under 45 minutes.

I think the length of time is the most boggling thing. Do they have to stop and pray at every step? Like I said earlier in the thread, we make refried bean burritos often, but they are quick... that's the point. Tonight I am making chicken tikka kabobs with saffron rice and the meal will take me a little more than an hour total.

Like someone else said, if I am cooking for days, it had better be for something really outstanding. Bean burritos are not worth that much time.

Yeah, that.

They almost forgot their bean making chores and someone remembered right after bible study. How often do they study (re: listen to Daddy Maxwell interpret) the bible that they forget they have pounds upon pounds of beans in the process of being prepared?

What do they do besides bible study, food prep, cleaning & chores, and doing the work for their 'business'? (Shrink wrapping the chore packs, etc...). As a whole, their choice of stocking up on refried beans is kind of irrelevant. It's the fact that it is a family "project", with half the family being grown adults.

If your 20 year old son and 29 year old daughter have nothing more in life to do or concentrate on than listening to you interpret the bible interrupted only by the making of beans for the freezer, you are doing life wrong.

I wonder if they served those burittos at their chore pack party. Or if the joy of working on packing chore packs is party enough for their friends?

Here is how I make bean burritos (and I make them pretty often):

--Pre-made good tortillas from the store.

--Canned refried beans from the store.

--Shredded Mexican blend cheese.

--Picante sauce from the store.

I heat up the beans, heat up the tortillas, put the ingredients together, that's all.

It tastes good to me!

However, as a Texan, I am aware that it is nowhere near special, good-quality Mexican food!

I wonder if they served those burittos at their chore pack party. Or if the joy of working on packing chore packs is party enough for their friends?

They sell those things to make a profit. I think it's pretty cheesy to invite "friends" to help you assemble them. This is not the first time they have had "friends" do work for them.

Archived