IGNORED

Michelle & Anna radio interview & Just when we (MERGED)

tabitha2

Do tell!

Biscuits are cookies. As Johnhugh said, we only use the word "cookies" here for a particular kind of biscuit.

Gravy is a dark brown sauce, very savoury, very often with chicken, beef or onion in it.

So you'd be asking for sweet cookies covered in chicken essence ;) It sounds totally mad to any of us who don't speak American.

Our equivalent of a biscuit is a scone, but I don't know at all about the white coloured American version of gravy. I have not ever seen that in the UK.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't get the image of JBoob chowing down on a packet of hobnobs dipped in gravy now. Nom nom.

The closest thing I can think of to white gravy is bread sauce. Except that bread sauce uses stale bread as a thickener instead of flour.

British scones have a different texture to american biscuits-they're more solid and less flaky.

The Duggars may not truly follow Kosher, but they do not eat pork. Not sure about shellfish or other stuff.

They eat bacon and ham, that is pig.

It would be a disaster for them to go to Israel, depending on where they would go their tolerates toward born again Christians is very low, along with jewish population does not put of with parents who do not control their children.

I can't get the image of JBoob chowing down on a packet of hobnobs dipped in gravy now. Nom nom.

The closest thing I can think of to white gravy is bread sauce. Except that bread sauce uses stale bread as a thickener instead of flour.

British scones have a different texture to american biscuits-they're more solid and less flaky.

LOL, hobnobs and gravy, I may puke!

Not a huge fan of bread sauce either, but googling, American gravy had pieces of bacon in it too. I cannot comprehend this dish. Failure of imagination on my part. :lol:

Are the biscuits sweet and the gravy very salty? If I ever make it to the US I will certainly want to see this dish.

Biscuits & gravy...so, so good but not all that great for you. To give you an idea, it's one of these:

biscuits%20and%20gravy%20-%20biscuit-%20bkog.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1258907425889

Topped with a creamy gravy made from bacon drippings, butter, cream, milk, flour to thicken, a little salt & pepper.

LOL, hobnobs and gravy, I may puke!

Not a huge fan of bread sauce either, but googling, American gravy had pieces of bacon in it too. I cannot comprehend this dish. Failure of imagination on my part. :lol:

Are the biscuits sweet and the gravy very salty? If I ever make it to the US I will certainly want to see this dish.

In my neck if the woods, biscuits and gravy is made with sausage gravy. It is a white gravy with bits of sausage in it. I have never had it, but my family loooooves it. It is considered a rare treat as it is not exactly on the healthy side.

I may be opening a big can of worms, but...

Why does it bother them? The Duggars follow Mosaic law, but they don't practice kosher laws (at least, as far as I know.) Some 7th Day Adventists don't eat pork or shellfish because of the OT, but it's not because they are trying to be Jewish - it's just part of their faith. Are they bothered by Muslims not eating pork as well?

I've known plenty of Jews, and none of them were offended that I don't eat pork. If anything, they seemed to appreciate it because any time I brought food into work they knew it was from a pig-free environment and that I was more likely to respect their kosher requirements as well.

I'm not trying to be combative. I'm genuinely curious because I really don't understand why what I choose to eat or not eat would offend someone (and I'd hate to think that someone I know could be secretly offended by dietary choices.)

My bf's friends are bothered by the Duggars following the no pork rule because they take the covenant and Torah laws seriously and they don't like how the Duggars use it as part of their faith when they aren't Jewish. They also don't like 7th Day Adventists following the non pork rule. Both of them can be very defensive of their religion and lately my boyfriend avoids talking to them about certain things.

Archived