IGNORED

Josh's Twitter

Deleted07

It's mostly because it can change at any time, and by the time the paper is read wiki can change. A printed edition lasts a lot longer.

For example. At one point in time the wiki article on bears said they were evil soulless killing machines. I could cite wiki and say that bears are soulless killing machines, and while it might have been valid for about 30 seconds, I have no way to prove it (without going through the history-but who wants to do that?).

Basically, sources need to not change, and should be taken as fact (as far as an argument goes). A lot of times, web pages go away, so the source becomes impossible to get to, which is why a lot of professors and teachers are also against web sources.

They will accept academic sources that are accessible through credible search engines your university has access to (not generally accessible to the public), such as JSTOR, LexisNexis, etc.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They will accept academic sources that are accessible through credible search engines your university has access to (not generally accessible to the public), such as JSTOR, LexisNexis, etc.

I'm 32. I'm kind of glad I went through school pre-wikipedia, and learned how to properly source things. I am still young and hip enough to use wiki, though.

What I don't understand is why proffesors and teachers are against Wikipedia. Don't people make mistakes/need to correct certain articles in their encylopedias when they update them anyway? People can always check the links on an article page on Wikipedia to see if the source is reliable or not, which is what I do for college. Sometimes those links are helpful for getting reliable links to other articles! :P I wonder if they block Google too...

Print encyclopedias are more carefully researched and checked before being published - it is a lot easier to write and post a wikipedia article without properly researching and citing. Of course, a lot of people do carefully research and put effort into wikipedia articles, I don't mean to put them down, but there is a lot more variation in the quality.

But those are generally electronic copies of papers and other stuff that is backed up and can be certified with a date, blah blah blah....

Ironically enough, wiki tends to have less mistakes than "Real" encyclopedias. But that's only on "popular" articles. The lesser ones get vandalized all the time.

Personally, I never cite wiki. I go to the place wiki cited, and cite that.

It's telling that Josh, man of the world, can read Wikipedia, but his 22 year old brother can't. JB&M said it's one of the sites they blocked. Can't have any knowledge accidentally get in the kid's heads!

Hey Josh - search for 'vagina' on Wikipedia. You'll need a freaking manual to help you find the clitoris.

Do they ban the dictionary too? I read about some schools that wanted to ban dictionaries because students were using them to look up "dirty" words.

Do they ban the dictionary too? I read about some schools that wanted to ban dictionaries because students were using them to look up "dirty" words.

Seems to me like those schools have people in charge who did that as children and feel guilty about it.

I remember doing that. We thought it was hilarious that "bitch" meant female dog.

Yeah, that's how I learned what the word "bastard" meant in 7th grade and that it applied to me. :oops: That was an awkward day for my parents...

How do you know if Josh has blocked you? Can you still tweet him if he blocks you, is it that he just can't see your tweets then?

/twitter n00b

Edit: W00t! I'm a Purity Baller!

What I don't understand is why proffesors and teachers are against Wikipedia. Don't people make mistakes/need to correct certain articles in their encylopedias when they update them anyway? People can always check the links on an article page on Wikipedia to see if the source is reliable or not, which is what I do for college. Sometimes those links are helpful for getting reliable links to other articles! :P I wonder if they block Google too...

I have never had a lecturer be against wikipedia. All they have to say about wikipedia is "don't source it", and then sometimes, "but it's a great place to get started."

And it is a great place to start looking, but not a great place to source facts from. If it's a well-known fact, it doesn't need to be sourced; if it needs to have a source, you should find one and make sure it's actually backed up by that source, and that that source is reputable. That way, you know it's true, your marker will be satisfied that you've a proper source, and you'll end up in the vicinity of more relevant info (which, at the very least, can give you a more rounded background of what you're researching and give you a better idea of the "shape" of the issue, even if you don't end up specifically using any of the other info there).

And, as Poka mentions, wiki articles change. A website of some authority on the subject isn't potentially edited by dozens of people every day.

My professors say to start with Wikipedia to get an overview of the topic and some basic vocabulary. From there, it is much easier to search the internet and find the right articles.

Also, often the references at the bottom of a wikipedia page are primary research, exactly what you need for a report.

Wikipedia is good if you need a summarized "simple" version of something but it's not a source you can fully trust since anyone can add stuff to the articles. I always used wikipedia when doing lab reports to get a better understanding of something but then would move onto published scientific journals to get an in depth view for my reports.

Someone needs to teach Smuggar how to do proper research since his views are completely biased and stupid. A monkey would have a better argument on politics.

I'll admit I've used wikipedia to start finding sources, but I would never use it as a source. That was drilled into me in high school. It's great for just general knowledge, though.

As a kid I definitely used the dictionary to look up all the bad words I could think of. That's also how I learned what a lesbian was when my mom wouldn't tell me. Come to think of it, I also learned how sex worked from the S edition of our encyclopedias. I liked my reference books.

I'm beginning to feel as if its not fair for me to snark on him anymore. He's just so disadvantaged on both an intellectual and educational level, and neither are his fault.

Agree 100%. It's not his fault. Hopefully he will realize that and raise his kids the way he thinks is best. I 'encourage' him to keep reading Wikipedia, and to start asking questions. This really could be the beginning for him. I'm cheering! :clap: LOL. (I'm in a good mood today:) )

The latest:

Hello Tulsa! Big event with next POTUS at 1:30 @ORU Maybee Center! @RickSantorum speaking & answer ?'s BTW, All the Duggar kids will b here!

WTF? All the kids will be there? Is this supposed make people want to drop everything in the middle of the day? Most fans of the kids would be in school, as they should be, but the Duggar kids have to blow off the SOTDRT (such as it is) to campaign. The over 18's can be part of the Santorum team if they want to, but the little ones should be left alone. Do these kids ever have to do any school work at all?

The latest:

WTF? All the kids will be there? Is this supposed make people want to drop everything in the middle of the day? Most fans of the kids would be in school, as they should be, but the Duggar kids have to blow off the SOTDRT (such as it is) to campaign. The over 18's can be part of the Santorum team if they want to, but the little ones should be left alone. Do these kids ever have to do any school work at all?

The home schoolers have already been alerted, there will be turnout of hundreds of kids who can't cast a vote. And when Santorums childrens crusade proves to be a failure their parents won't caste a vote for Gingrich, or Romney. so In the long run its a good thing :D

I tried tweeting to the Santorum people about Josh's "joke" about disabled people, but I doubt they read any of those. I think I'm going to e-mail them directly. I'd love to see the response I'd get.

Edit: Adding the whole anti-Catholic thing in there too.

Anyone have links to all the direct quotes / screen caps of them so I can add?

joshduggar Josh Duggar

Chicago college offers class on Occupy movement shar.es/f8J3o Have one on the Tea Party? Nope! Likely one on community organizing!

19 minutes ago

So, what is he bitching about? It's not like he's EVER going to attend a real college. :roll:

I tried tweeting to the Santorum people about Josh's "joke" about disabled people, but I doubt they read any of those. I think I'm going to e-mail them directly. I'd love to see the response I'd get.

Edit: Adding the whole anti-Catholic thing in there too.

Anyone have links to all the direct quotes / screen caps of them so I can add?

I copied it and sent them an email, but never got a response.

joshduggar Josh Duggar

Chicago college offers class on Occupy movement shar.es/f8J3o Have one on the Tea Party? Nope! Likely one on community organizing!

19 minutes ago

So, what is he bitching about? It's not like he's EVER going to attend a real college. :roll:

I'll probably get banned for replying that conservative political colleges (ie. Patrick Henry) likely offer what he's whining about (didn't say it quite that bluntly ;) ). Told him not to worry; it all evens out in the end.

That should be enough to stick the proverbial fork in me even though I didn't attack him, but he's so stupid he'll take it as one.

Smuggar should just unblock me for chrissakes! I though REAL Christians were supposed to forgive and love thy neighbor :mrgreen: ?

I guess my comments about him Gothard really got to him. :twisted:

I'll probably get banned for replying that conservative political colleges (ie. Patrick Henry) likely offer what he's whining about (didn't say it quite that bluntly ;) ). Told him not to worry; it all evens out in the end.

That should be enough to stick the proverbial fork in me even though I didn't attack him, but he's so stupid he'll take it as one.

Even the Chicago college probably offered a class on the Tea Party movement at a time when it was relevant. Not everything has a liberal bias, Josh.

I learned about the Tea Party in my college history courses. You know, the real Tea Party. The ones that fought against taxation without representation and not some convoluted "get your gubment hands off my Medicare" policy. A group of middle aged men prancing around in tri-corner hats does not a college course make.

My professors say to start with Wikipedia to get an overview of the topic and some basic vocabulary. From there, it is much easier to search the internet and find the right articles.

Also, often the references at the bottom of a wikipedia page are primary research, exactly what you need for a report.

This is what I was trying to say. I guess I should've been more clearer. * :oops: *

DodgeWR@DodgerRWReply

Aw @joshduggar blocked me b/c I noted Declaration of Independence is not the same as the Constitution. Go Politics Boy Go! #educationfail

Which one of you did this? Awesome! :clap:

Archived