IGNORED

seems like a confirmation to me

charmedjenny

Ooooh, I really like her vegan blog! Some of those recipes look really good, I think I'm going to try the broccoli in garlic sauce with dinner tonight. Thanks, Lina! If only Zsu would feed her kids some of that good stuff, they might look a little less rickets-and-scurvy-prone and a little more... lively.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that when I was in the middle of the converting process to Judaism (never completed, for various reasons, one being that in my country orthodox conversion is the only way to convert) we never really get into food and cooking. And things like chick-peas and aubergines are sometimes hard to find in smaller places. I learned how to do baba ganoush last year although I had been eating hummus for years. And most of our jews came from Russia to Finland during the centuries so their food traditions differ from Middle Eastern traditions.

That said, I am a picky eater. Therefore I have forced myself to pick a country/region and cook/bake something I haven't tried before. My choice from Israel was baba ganoush ;)

Oh, and I envy all who live in a country where you can get fresh fruits and vegetables around the year. Here it is difficult and I always have to make a choice should I eat more exotic ones with preservatives or stick with the local products which are mainly beets and berries and those grown in greenhouses during winter (energy consuming).

from her food blog in 2009:

"Don't get me wrong - I'm still a Christian as I'll always be [emphasis mine], but I plan to visit other churches in the near future until I find the right one. Right now, I'm very much into the Seventh-Day Adventist church because of its emphasis of health and nutrition as well as its history of vegetarianism."

I'm picturing Lina standing in front of a buffet stocked with all the world's major religions, licking her lips as she contemplates which one to sample next...

:o I didn't go that far. Maybe she'll discover falafel next week? Or figure out pita bread is just a yeast flat bread?? Tzatziki will probably blow her mind.

I don't know why but I kind of believe that Lina got pregnant on her honeymoon. You take two horny and hyperfertile teenagers and throw them together and that's what happens. Meredith got pregnant on her honeymoon too. I tend to believe it wasn't a shotgun wedding, since I know of several orthodox kids who went shomer negiah (no touching until marriage, not even Duggar hand sex) and then they got married as fast as humanly possible.

As for the not knowing about baba ganjoush, I could chalk that one up to being sheltered.

That takes it to around the 24th September. So she should be due the last week in June. I'd like to place my bets on the beginning of June.

Awwwww man! I have been waiting for Lina to grace us with her vacillating presence since I first learned about her. I am so disappointed in this anti-climatic event. Please Lina, don't ever become Muslim, we have enough nuts in our religion, tyvm!

from her food blog in 2009:

"Don't get me wrong - I'm still a Christian as I'll always be [emphasis mine], but I plan to visit other churches in the near future until I find the right one. Right now, I'm very much into the Seventh-Day Adventist church because of its emphasis of health and nutrition as well as its history of vegetarianism."

I'm picturing Lina standing in front of a buffet stocked with all the world's major religions, licking her lips as she contemplates which one to sample next...

She seems to look for a religion that fits more for her habits than for her spiritual needs.

I have to say that when I was in the middle of the converting process to Judaism (never completed, for various reasons, one being that in my country orthodox conversion is the only way to convert) we never really get into food and cooking. And things like chick-peas and aubergines are sometimes hard to find in smaller places. I learned how to do baba ganoush last year although I had been eating hummus for years. And most of our jews came from Russia to Finland during the centuries so their food traditions differ from Middle Eastern traditions.

That said, I am a picky eater. Therefore I have forced myself to pick a country/region and cook/bake something I haven't tried before. My choice from Israel was baba ganoush ;)

Oh, and I envy all who live in a country where you can get fresh fruits and vegetables around the year. Here it is difficult and I always have to make a choice should I eat more exotic ones with preservatives or stick with the local products which are mainly beets and berries and those grown in greenhouses during winter (energy consuming).

Baba ghanoush is pretty uncommon around here (though I'd think it would be less so in Austin, but I don't know), but hummus is everywhere. It doesn't make you trendy to know about hummus, and I don't really think it makes you ignorant to not know about baba ghanoush. I'm sure everyone has lots of foods they don't know about just because it's not common.

I have to say, Lina is really just pretty boring.

Did you notice that her "raw vegan" husband ate the last two eggs, leaving her with just the other stuff.

Hey!! Stop talking about me!!! And for the record I'm not always a nut, only sometimes. Like when I have too much coke or coffee. :D

She says she's 14 weeks, 3 days pregnant. Don't know what that would make her due date exactly, sometime in July? Anyone? My niece is 18 weeks and due in June.

wow... if she hadn't done the flounce-bounce I'd love to congratulate her on that nice blog. Some of those recipes look very good! Being a vegan is hard. I've done it for awhile but now that I live with my meat-n-potatoes husband it's hard because he's already told me he won't eat soy/tofu.

I can't imagine being pregnant that early into a marriage but hey if that's what they want? And yeah, I still think it's weird she typed "God" here.

Fun fact: Lina never stopped blogging. She reactivated an old blog of hers and began posting there but does not talk about Judaism. It's not private. Her new blog mentioned she was pregnant weeks ago. Look for it

My birthday is June 11. I hope I don't end up sharing my birthday with Lina's slightly premature but unusually large "honeymoon baby".

I just find this whole thing hilarious because 99% of the people in this country, including all of us here, couldn't give a flying duck about two teenagers having sex before marriage, but yet she still insists on going through with this elaborate set-up to pretend it didn't happen. No one even cares that she was probably pregnant before marriage, but I do find it hilarious that she came up with such a silly cover story and expects anyone to believe her.

My birthday is June 11. I hope I don't end up sharing my birthday with Lina's slightly premature but unusually large "honeymoon baby".

I just find this whole thing hilarious because 99% of the people in this country, including all of us here, couldn't give a flying duck about two teenagers having sex before marriage, but yet she still insists on going through with this elaborate set-up to pretend it didn't happen. No one even cares that she was probably pregnant before marriage, but I do find it hilarious that she came up with such a silly cover story and expects anyone to believe her.

Archived