IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost

Coconut Flan

I'm sure there are children like that.  In fact we know one and she didn't do any better in regular school than she did on set.  A cousin, however, did two academic years in one movie filming.  Different children, different sets,, and different teachers.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

25 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Is Jill still homeschooling?

No one knows for sure what's up with the boys.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Is Jill still homeschooling?

She's alluded to them attending public school. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Giraffe said:

She's alluded to them attending public school. 

Her statements have been clear as mud. She's never confirmed anything. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

Her statements have been clear as mud. She's never confirmed anything. 

I believe Derick clearly said his children will never be homeschooled but perhaps I'm remembering wrong. 

• Upvote 2

I wonder if she’s being clear as mud because it’s obvious which public school they attend based on where they live. Some people might want to keep their children’s school private due to him being a prosecutor and Jill being in the spotlight. I wouldn’t blame them for trying to keep it private-ish. 

• Upvote 26
  • I Agree 14

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I wonder if she’s being clear as mud because it’s obvious which public school they attend based on where they live. Some people might want to keep their children’s school private due to him being a prosecutor and Jill being in the spotlight. I wouldn’t blame them for trying to keep it private-ish. 

Yeah, that's my thought. 

• Upvote 2

They said in one of the interviews for their book that the kids go to public school.  I can't remember which one.

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They said in one of the interviews for their book that the kids go to public school.  I can't remember which one.

On her youtube channel too.  She made a video when she registered the kid for kindergarten.  The name of the school is in there too which is probably not the best idea.  

Edited by theologygeek
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, theologygeek said:

On her youtube channel too.  She made a video when she registered the kid for kindergarten.  The name of the school is in there too which is probably not the best idea.  

That was the old school In Rogers. They live in Siloam Springs now, and AFAIK, there is only one possible option for public school. 

• Upvote 9

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

That was the old school In Rogers. They live in Siloam Springs now, and AFAIK, there is only one possible option for public school. 

Yes, they go to a different school district now. They don’t publicize which district. But people can figure it out if they try. I suppose they could decide on a private school. But I doubt it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 1

Do private schools in Arkansas have to teach the same curriculum as public schools? Here, schools can offer additional classes ie) religion but must teach provincial curriculum. My daughter and niece are both in Catholic school. Nursery AKA pre K, does not have a provincial curriculum so that is up for the school but my grade four niece does the same math, science, social studies, English language arts, French, technology and gym/health as every other kid. Religion and an add-on. I picked Catholic school because I needed full time nursery which my school division doesn’t offer and at $5000 a year, it’s pricey but doable. My sister had a terrible experience growing up in public school and then when her daughter tried nursery (her division offers part time nursery whilst mine has no nursery program), her daughter was badly bullied. As in had two teeth kicked out, art work ripped up, belongings stolen, was punched, pushed etc. The Catholic school by her house is $2000/ year. Both of our kids love their teachers, have friends and are excited to go to school. 

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

Do private schools in Arkansas have to teach the same curriculum as public schools? Here, schools can offer additional classes ie) religion but must teach provincial curriculum. My daughter and niece are both in Catholic school. Nursery AKA pre K, does not have a provincial curriculum so that is up for the school but my grade four niece does the same math, science, social studies, English language arts, French, technology and gym/health as every other kid. Religion and an add-on. I picked Catholic school because I needed full time nursery which my school division doesn’t offer and at $5000 a year, it’s pricey but doable. My sister had a terrible experience growing up in public school and then when her daughter tried nursery (her division offers part time nursery whilst mine has no nursery program), her daughter was badly bullied. As in had two teeth kicked out, art work ripped up, belongings stolen, was punched, pushed etc. The Catholic school by her house is $2000/ year. Both of our kids love their teachers, have friends and are excited to go to school. 

Tuition at the school where I teach is double yours. But the school is small and intimate. I don't think the Dillards could afford tuition for two on Derick's salary. I do imagine tuition in AR is much less, though. Still would be a challenge if he's only making ~$70k/yr. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Tuition at the school where I teach is double yours. But the school is small and intimate. I don't think the Dillards could afford tuition for two on Derick's salary. I do imagine tuition in AR is much less, though. Still would be a challenge if he's only making ~$70k/yr. 

If he's "only" making $70,000 a year they can easily afford $4,000 a year for school. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, marmalade said:

$70,000 a year plus payment from Shiny Happy People plus a book advance plus book sales from Jill’s best seller. 

• Upvote 7

6 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

$70,000 a year plus payment from Shiny Happy People plus a book advance plus book sales from Jill’s best seller. 

Forgot about the book! That could pay for a few years of private school. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

It depends on the type of school and state laws. In my state, there are three types of private schools: accredited, approved and ones where the parents have to register the kids as homeschoolers. The breakdown: 

Accredited: These are fully state approved private schools that meet all curriculum requirements for graduation, state college/university admittance and have fully certified teachers in all areas except religious studies (if applicable, we do have a few non-religious private schools). They also are accredited by outside agencies. All diocesan run Catholic schools meet all of these requirements and often even have certified teachers teaching theology courses. 

Approved: These are also fully state approved, meet curriculum requirements and teacher certification as above. They do not have any accreditation, though. Most larger evangelical Christian schools I know of fall in this category. 

Homeschool schools: These are private schools that do not have state approved curriculum or certified teachers. They do not necessarily meet requirements for graduation, etc...Most are run in churches and the parents have to register their kids as homeschoolers with the state to avoid truancy penalties. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 1

I don't know of any private schools that are $4,000 for a year.  Most of the ones around me are $12,000 - $15,000 and then you have more even more expensive ones which are even greater. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

5 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

With two they'll usually get a family discount.  

At my school, it amounts tor about $2k. So, about $18k vs 20. 

• Upvote 2

In my area (Boston) we have the super expensive Ivy League feeder schools and the cheaper church run ones. Given they live in a somewhat rural area I bet it’s cheaper.

I just looked up the prices for the private religious school I attended. It’s just under $6k for one kid, $10,775 for two kids, and $2,000 for each additional kid plus fees.  There are special rates for church members. This school is in a nice Chicago suburb, I bet the Dillards could swing something like this for their 2, soon to be 3 students. 

Ideally, I’d like to see Jill go back to school to be an obgyn nurse, if that is something she’d still like to do.

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 3

Where would these nice, accredited schools be located???? They are in small town Arkansas/Oklahoma. I would be shocked if there was a decent private school within commuting distance.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, TN-peach said:

I don't know of any private schools that are $4,000 for a year.  Most of the ones around me are $12,000 - $15,000 and then you have more even more expensive ones which are even greater. 

How does anyone afford that?! The two most expensive private schools in my province charge $15000 a year and most kids are on partial bursary. 

• Upvote 1

• Coconut Flan locked this topic