IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost

Coconut Flan

It’s the all or nothing approach because there is no thinking or discerning involved. Some people like that.

• Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5

I had a good laugh at my fundie lite neigbors when they recommended I follow Ramsey's advice and get out of debt.  I looked at them and asked wouldn't I have to get into debt first to to need to get out of debt?  They simply assumed everyone, but the beneficiaries of Ramsey's words were overwhelmed by debt and I admit I do have more than one credit card which she saw when we were out shopping.  I told them 1) possessing the cards does not mean using regularly and 2) if I use them I pay the bills in full when they come in.  :smh:  They are black and white thinkers.

Kaiser told them they couldn't get an appointment for a Covid vax until mid-November.  I asked why not take your Medicare cards to one of the many local pharmacies and get it now if you want it now?  Neighbors' response was we never thought of that.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 19

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They simply assumed everyone, but the beneficiaries of Ramsey's words were overwhelmed by debt and I admit I do have more than one credit card which she saw when we were out shopping. 

Wow, that’s very presumptuous (and nosy) of your neighbors! I think I’d be quite offended in your place. You having multiple credit cards is none of their business. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5

IMO, if you pay off your credit card balance every month, a credit card is better than paying cash, due to the $50 limit on fraudulent transactions. Quite a few years ago now, my partner paid for his annual golf member using a credit card. Two weeks later, the golf course went into bankruptcy proceedings and shut down. The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

• Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Wow, that’s very presumptuous (and nosy) of your neighbors! I think I’d be quite offended in your place. You having multiple credit cards is none of their business. 

Definitely. All of us other neighbors laugh at the silly things they do especially her.  She told another neighbor they needed to sell a vehicle because they didn't need three for two people.  We have retrained her from her worst commentary.  On the other hand she's great at neighborhood watch (complete nosy parker), is usually home and helpful in emergencies, and such.  

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

Plus it's usually the fastest way to check out and the reason I have multiple cards is the discount programs like at Target..  5% off everything for using the card is an automatic why not?  

• Upvote 10

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

IMO, if you pay off your credit card balance every month, a credit card is better than paying cash, due to the $50 limit on fraudulent transactions. Quite a few years ago now, my partner paid for his annual golf member using a credit card. Two weeks later, the golf course went into bankruptcy proceedings and shut down. The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

Ramsay’s advice presumes very low self control. He seems to think people with credit cards will quickly max them out and accrue interest versus pay them off monthly and reap the benefits.

Because that’s what he did. 😂

• Upvote 13
  • Haha 6

28 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

Ramsay’s advice presumes very low self control. He seems to think people with credit cards will quickly max them out and accrue interest versus pay them off monthly and reap the benefits.

Because that’s what he did. 😂

He’s like Steve Maxwell with contrasting buttons. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 18

15 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Jill has made several reels on Instagram supporting Israel and condemning the violence. 

Isn't majority of the world supporting Israel right now? I know at least Canada and the USA have spoken up in defense of Israel. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, viii said:

Isn't majority of the world supporting Israel right now? I know at least Canada and the USA have spoken up in defense of Israel. 

It's a mixed bag for my social media.

Jewish and Evangelical friends are supporting Israel.

The attorneys (and esp immigration attorneys) and many academics are NOT supporting the state of Israel. Muslim friends  who live outside the US are pro-Gaza and pro- Palestinian Authority, more circumspect on Hamas.

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4

3 hours ago, noseybutt said:

It's a mixed bag for my social media.

Jewish and Evangelical friends are supporting Israel.

The attorneys (and esp immigration attorneys) and many academics are NOT supporting the state of Israel. Muslim friends  who live outside the US are pro-Gaza and pro- Palestinian Authority, more circumspect on Hamas.

Mine is the same way. People are supporting Israel but also calling out the Israeli policies against Palestinians. 

• Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3

2 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Mine is the same way. People are supporting Israel but also calling out the Israeli policies against Palestinians. 

This is definitely one of those “two very difficult things can be simultaneously true” situations.

I don’t pretend to have answers. But I hurt to see how much hate and religion can fuel the unfathomable.

That said, I view fundy support for Israel with a jaundiced eye. My not quite fundy but definitely White Evangelical Christian aunt sent me some video last night about how the evangelicals are all “It’s so awesome to be living in the days when biblical prophesies about the Lords return are happening” cue handclaps and I just…what!?!

Israelis and Palestinians - real, honest to god people like you and me - are suffering through atrocities most of us cannot really imagine (thankfully) and White Christian Evangelicals are gonna pop their popcorn and make it all about how their god is causing this suffering to lead the their own salvation? What the actual fuck!?!

These people don’t care about Israel or Palestine beyond that they think it’s going to fast track them to the rapture and to mansions of gold or whatever (like in heaven where money isn’t a thing, why does it matter if you have a gold house?? — anyway) and the in limited buffets where you don’t get fat (no joke - that was the pitch at one youth retreat they sent me to in middle school). 

Come to think of it - maybe White Evangelical heaven is just a shitty carnival cruise gold plated buffet. Yikes!! 

Edited by Hera
  • Upvote 29
  • Love 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, FiveAcres said:

Plus you get back perks like air miles, cash back, etc. My cards pay for the Christmas gift cards for my grandchildren.

• Upvote 8

I'm like the thousandth in line to get this book from the library, so for those who have read it--does she mention Grandma Mary? Personally I think she was a miserable bitch who probably schooled her son in how to get rich by being a crook, as well as exploiting the family on TV, but it's really galling to think that she saw all of this happening to her granddaughters while pretending to be this loving Grandma. Does Jill say anything about reaching out to her, confiding in her? Any mention of her at all?

• Upvote 9

On 10/12/2023 at 6:10 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

He’s like Steve Maxwell with contrasting buttons. 

Wait, what? I need the story please 😂

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, FluffySnowball said:

Wait, what? I need the story please 😂

Steve seems to have a lot of eye trap issues. Contrasting buttons being one of them. It’s been speculated that Steve is a boob man. And that’s why contrasting buttons on a shirt is an issue for him. Basically anything that can bring even the tiniest bit of attention to a woman’s chest seems to be an eye trap for Steve. I also think he assumes all men are just like him. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 6

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

No mention of Mary, and only a passing mention of Deanna. Also left out was Amy.

She did briefly mention Grandma Mary’s death and funeral.  I was glad to see nothing about Famy, though.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

On 10/12/2023 at 10:06 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Jill has made several reels on Instagram supporting Israel and condemning the violence. 

They're both conservative evangelicals, their child is literally named Israel and they put him in an IDF onesie when he was baby. Totally on brand for JillyMuffin. 

I've been avoiding media this week because all the cable news reports and misinformation would literally prolong my COVID illness but I predict that certain evangelicals will become particularly insufferable and use all this suffering as a way to revel in their end-times predictions. 

I know the world and certainly all the western powers are pro-Israel but in my circles, most people are firmly in solidarity with the Palestinian people. This even goes for some Jewish folks I know who are  against the policies of the state of Israel (historically and present-day). 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3

14 hours ago, marmalade said:

No mention of Mary, and only a passing mention of Deanna. Also left out was Amy.

She mentions Mary's saying relayed by her parents, "show me your friends and I'll show you your future". And otherwise, she only talks of Grandma Mary's death, and her reaction, and how she reached out to Jimbob, they attended the funeral, and said no to the family time at the Big House after, as a beginning of setting boundaries.

• Upvote 7

I started to read the book. And I can only read a little bit at once because it somehow is energy consuming and I think a lot about what I've read. Sometimes I wonder why she left things out and others were mentioned. I already got some coffee and tea stains on the cover, because I use it to put my cup on top in the morning. The size is pretty perfect for that purpose. I don't know why I tell you this.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10

38 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I started to read the book. And I can only read a little bit at once because it somehow is energy consuming and I think a lot about what I've read. Sometimes I wonder why she left things out and others were mentioned. I already got some coffee and tea stains on the cover, because I use it to put my cup on top in the morning. The size is pretty perfect for that purpose. I don't know why I tell you this.

Laughing at the cups stains, not the intensity of the book.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

6 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

She mentions Mary's saying relayed by her parents, "show me your friends and I'll show you your future". And otherwise, she only talks of Grandma Mary's death, and her reaction, and how she reached out to Jimbob, they attended the funeral, and said no to the family time at the Big House after, as a beginning of setting boundaries.

Ah yes, I forgot that. But as a source of information regarding JL, we got nothing. Interesting since JB blames him for everything bad that happened to him in his youth and young adulthood. Jill could have made the point that she was breaking that cycle by freeing herself from JB. 

• Upvote 5

I’m not surprised she doesn’t mention Amy - I have a feeling amy was only really apart of their lives on the show. Tlc wanted a contrasting character- they found Amy (perhaps a cousin they saw every once in a while) and inserted her into situations. 

• Upvote 3

I am sure that JB talked to his children about not being an Aunt Deanna or cousin Amy. You know damn well he used their lifestyle as a weapon and threat to his children about what their lives “could look like.” JB would be one to use the “used piece of gum” rhetoric. FWIW Amy and Deanna are light years better than Josh-

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5

• Coconut Flan locked this topic