Jump to content
IGNORED

Dillards 94: After Counting the Cost


Coconut Flan

Recommended Posts

It’s the all or nothing approach because there is no thinking or discerning involved. Some people like that.

  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a good laugh at my fundie lite neigbors when they recommended I follow Ramsey's advice and get out of debt.  I looked at them and asked wouldn't I have to get into debt first to to need to get out of debt?  They simply assumed everyone, but the beneficiaries of Ramsey's words were overwhelmed by debt and I admit I do have more than one credit card which she saw when we were out shopping.  I told them 1) possessing the cards does not mean using regularly and 2) if I use them I pay the bills in full when they come in.  :smh:  They are black and white thinkers.

Kaiser told them they couldn't get an appointment for a Covid vax until mid-November.  I asked why not take your Medicare cards to one of the many local pharmacies and get it now if you want it now?  Neighbors' response was we never thought of that.  

Edited by Coconut Flan
  • Upvote 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

They simply assumed everyone, but the beneficiaries of Ramsey's words were overwhelmed by debt and I admit I do have more than one credit card which she saw when we were out shopping. 

Wow, that’s very presumptuous (and nosy) of your neighbors! I think I’d be quite offended in your place. You having multiple credit cards is none of their business. 

  • Upvote 8
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO, if you pay off your credit card balance every month, a credit card is better than paying cash, due to the $50 limit on fraudulent transactions. Quite a few years ago now, my partner paid for his annual golf member using a credit card. Two weeks later, the golf course went into bankruptcy proceedings and shut down. The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 7
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, lumpentheologie said:

Wow, that’s very presumptuous (and nosy) of your neighbors! I think I’d be quite offended in your place. You having multiple credit cards is none of their business. 

Definitely. All of us other neighbors laugh at the silly things they do especially her.  She told another neighbor they needed to sell a vehicle because they didn't need three for two people.  We have retrained her from her worst commentary.  On the other hand she's great at neighborhood watch (complete nosy parker), is usually home and helpful in emergencies, and such.  

3 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

Plus it's usually the fastest way to check out and the reason I have multiple cards is the discount programs like at Target..  5% off everything for using the card is an automatic why not?  

  • Upvote 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FiveAcres said:

IMO, if you pay off your credit card balance every month, a credit card is better than paying cash, due to the $50 limit on fraudulent transactions. Quite a few years ago now, my partner paid for his annual golf member using a credit card. Two weeks later, the golf course went into bankruptcy proceedings and shut down. The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

Ramsay’s advice presumes very low self control. He seems to think people with credit cards will quickly max them out and accrue interest versus pay them off monthly and reap the benefits.

Because that’s what he did. 😂

  • Upvote 13
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, noseybutt said:

Ramsay’s advice presumes very low self control. He seems to think people with credit cards will quickly max them out and accrue interest versus pay them off monthly and reap the benefits.

Because that’s what he did. 😂

He’s like Steve Maxwell with contrasting buttons. 

  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Jill has made several reels on Instagram supporting Israel and condemning the violence. 

Isn't majority of the world supporting Israel right now? I know at least Canada and the USA have spoken up in defense of Israel. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, viii said:

Isn't majority of the world supporting Israel right now? I know at least Canada and the USA have spoken up in defense of Israel. 

It's a mixed bag for my social media.

Jewish and Evangelical friends are supporting Israel.

The attorneys (and esp immigration attorneys) and many academics are NOT supporting the state of Israel. Muslim friends  who live outside the US are pro-Gaza and pro- Palestinian Authority, more circumspect on Hamas.

 

Edited by noseybutt
  • Upvote 10
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, noseybutt said:

It's a mixed bag for my social media.

Jewish and Evangelical friends are supporting Israel.

The attorneys (and esp immigration attorneys) and many academics are NOT supporting the state of Israel. Muslim friends  who live outside the US are pro-Gaza and pro- Palestinian Authority, more circumspect on Hamas.

 

Mine is the same way. People are supporting Israel but also calling out the Israeli policies against Palestinians. 

  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Mine is the same way. People are supporting Israel but also calling out the Israeli policies against Palestinians. 

This is definitely one of those “two very difficult things can be simultaneously true” situations.
 
I don’t pretend to have answers. But I hurt to see how much hate and religion can fuel the unfathomable.

That said, I view fundy support for Israel with a jaundiced eye. My not quite fundy but definitely White Evangelical Christian aunt sent me some video last night about how the evangelicals are all “It’s so awesome to be living in the days when biblical prophesies about the Lords return are happening” cue handclaps and I just…what!?!

Israelis and Palestinians - real, honest to god people like you and me - are suffering through atrocities most of us cannot really imagine (thankfully) and White Christian Evangelicals are gonna pop their popcorn and make it all about how their god is causing this suffering to lead the their own salvation? What the actual fuck!?!

These people don’t care about Israel or Palestine beyond that they think it’s going to fast track them to the rapture and to mansions of gold or whatever (like in heaven where money isn’t a thing, why does it matter if you have a gold house?? — anyway) and the in limited buffets where you don’t get fat (no joke - that was the pitch at one youth retreat they sent me to in middle school). 

Come to think of it - maybe White Evangelical heaven is just a shitty carnival cruise gold plated buffet. Yikes!! 

 

Edited by Hera
  • Upvote 29
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2023 at 7:16 AM, FiveAcres said:

IMO, if you pay off your credit card balance every month, a credit card is better than paying cash, due to the $50 limit on fraudulent transactions. Quite a few years ago now, my partner paid for his annual golf member using a credit card. Two weeks later, the golf course went into bankruptcy proceedings and shut down. The credit card company refunded the money to those people who had paid for their membership using the card. The people who had paid for an annual membership using other methods had to join the other creditors in bankruptcy court.

The $50 dollar limit also gives the credit card companies an incentive to prevent fraud.

Plus you get back perks like air miles, cash back, etc. My cards pay for the Christmas gift cards for my grandchildren.

  • Upvote 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm like the thousandth in line to get this book from the library, so for those who have read it--does she mention Grandma Mary? Personally I think she was a miserable bitch who probably schooled her son in how to get rich by being a crook, as well as exploiting the family on TV, but it's really galling to think that she saw all of this happening to her granddaughters while pretending to be this loving Grandma. Does Jill say anything about reaching out to her, confiding in her? Any mention of her at all?

  • Upvote 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2023 at 6:10 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

He’s like Steve Maxwell with contrasting buttons. 

Wait, what? I need the story please 😂

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FluffySnowball said:

Wait, what? I need the story please 😂

Steve seems to have a lot of eye trap issues. Contrasting buttons being one of them. It’s been speculated that Steve is a boob man. And that’s why contrasting buttons on a shirt is an issue for him. Basically anything that can bring even the tiniest bit of attention to a woman’s chest seems to be an eye trap for Steve. I also think he assumes all men are just like him. 

  • Upvote 6
  • Haha 2
  • Thank You 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, marmalade said:

No mention of Mary, and only a passing mention of Deanna. Also left out was Amy.

She did briefly mention Grandma Mary’s death and funeral.  I was glad to see nothing about Famy, though.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2023 at 10:06 PM, Father Son Holy Goat said:

Jill has made several reels on Instagram supporting Israel and condemning the violence. 

They're both conservative evangelicals, their child is literally named Israel and they put him in an IDF onesie when he was baby. Totally on brand for JillyMuffin. 

I've been avoiding media this week because all the cable news reports and misinformation would literally prolong my COVID illness but I predict that certain evangelicals will become particularly insufferable and use all this suffering as a way to revel in their end-times predictions. 

I know the world and certainly all the western powers are pro-Israel but in my circles, most people are firmly in solidarity with the Palestinian people. This even goes for some Jewish folks I know who are  against the policies of the state of Israel (historically and present-day). 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 6
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, marmalade said:

No mention of Mary, and only a passing mention of Deanna. Also left out was Amy.

She mentions Mary's saying relayed by her parents, "show me your friends and I'll show you your future". And otherwise, she only talks of Grandma Mary's death, and her reaction, and how she reached out to Jimbob, they attended the funeral, and said no to the family time at the Big House after, as a beginning of setting boundaries.

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started to read the book. And I can only read a little bit at once because it somehow is energy consuming and I think a lot about what I've read. Sometimes I wonder why she left things out and others were mentioned. I already got some coffee and tea stains on the cover, because I use it to put my cup on top in the morning. The size is pretty perfect for that purpose. I don't know why I tell you this.

  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Scrabblemaster said:

I started to read the book. And I can only read a little bit at once because it somehow is energy consuming and I think a lot about what I've read. Sometimes I wonder why she left things out and others were mentioned. I already got some coffee and tea stains on the cover, because I use it to put my cup on top in the morning. The size is pretty perfect for that purpose. I don't know why I tell you this.

Laughing at the cups stains, not the intensity of the book.

  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BullyJBG said:

She mentions Mary's saying relayed by her parents, "show me your friends and I'll show you your future". And otherwise, she only talks of Grandma Mary's death, and her reaction, and how she reached out to Jimbob, they attended the funeral, and said no to the family time at the Big House after, as a beginning of setting boundaries.

Ah yes, I forgot that. But as a source of information regarding JL, we got nothing. Interesting since JB blames him for everything bad that happened to him in his youth and young adulthood. Jill could have made the point that she was breaking that cycle by freeing herself from JB. 

  • Upvote 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m not surprised she doesn’t mention Amy - I have a feeling amy was only really apart of their lives on the show. Tlc wanted a contrasting character- they found Amy (perhaps a cousin they saw every once in a while) and inserted her into situations. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sure that JB talked to his children about not being an Aunt Deanna or cousin Amy. You know damn well he used their lifestyle as a weapon and threat to his children about what their lives “could look like.” JB would be one to use the “used piece of gum” rhetoric. FWIW Amy and Deanna are light years better than Josh-

  • Upvote 12
  • I Agree 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Trending Content

  • Recent Status Updates

    • 47of74

      47of74

      Yeah, that's me.  Though to be fair I am trying to learn Italian and Spanish.

      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      IT'S BASEBALL SEASON!!!!!
      ⚾❣️
      · 3 replies
    • mango_fandango

      mango_fandango

      It’s not supposed to be mosquito season right now but I still appear to have been bitten twice on the side of my foot. Bastards. I know I shouldn’t scratch but it’s so tempting… 😑
      · 0 replies
    • Therapy Outside the Box

      Therapy Outside the Box

      Hello,
       
      I'm brand new to this forum. It was suggested to me by former and outspoken Remnant Fellowship member (Natasha Pavlovich) that I join this forum and put out here what I do. She also warned me that no one on here trusts, or trusts easily, and that I'd likely be assumed to be a Remnant plant or spy until vetted and verified as not that. Fair enough. 
      In short, and in truth, I'm a psychotherapist with 25 yrs experience in Franklin TN (less than three miles from RF incidentally) with a special interest in working with people formerly associated with cults, cult-like or any and all high control intitutions. I'm especially interested in working with those desiring not only deconstruct, recover and learn to thrive post-indoctrination, but those desiring to recapture or cultivate an authentic sense of theology without walls, or spirituality with borders. 
      To date, I've worked with former Amish, Mennonite, LDS/FLDS, FOG, and a those representing a whole slew of evangelical, fire and brimstone fear/shame/guilt-inducing institutions.
      I am especially interested in working with former Remnant Fellowship and Scientology members. I view RF as basically Scientology without the budget. 
      I'll leave it there. Much more can be gleaned about me through my website: therapyoutsidethebox.com or IG: @ therapyoutsidethebox
       
      Peace,
       
      Chris Hancock, LCSW
      Franklin, TN

      · 3 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      I have a friend with untreated autism and ADHD. I've tried so fucking hard to help. He refuses. It's a mess. I'm really really tired.
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      Making Jill Duggar's brownie recipe because why not stay up late.
      · 2 replies
    • 47of74

      47of74

      Party on aisle 15....

      Also no interest if fully paid in so many months.
      · 0 replies
    • WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?

      Happy Supper Bowel Sunday!!  No, wait. That isn't right...
      Anyway, enjoy the game (or the half time show, or the ads)!
      And a very happy Sunday to everyone who doesn't care about the NFL! 
      · 0 replies
    • Kiki03910

      Kiki03910

      I'm a huge baseball fan. This year, MLB TV showed Liga Dominicana games in December and January and it was a fucking revelation. The players had so much fire and joy. The announcers with their charming DR accents were a blast, though I could hardly keep up with the Spanish. DItto the Serie del Caribe. As a White Sox fan, the MLB season is going to suffer by comparison. Te amo los Tigres del Licey!
      · 2 replies
    • bea

      bea

      I've just realized how long I've been on FJ.  Holy cow.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Blog Entries

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.