IGNORED

Zach & Whitney 9: What about that Pregnancy Shoot?

Coconut Flan

The story Zach told was that Kelly’s name was first Lisa Jo and then her parents decided to go with another K name to match her sisters Kim and Kay. He didn’t say if they needed to change a birth certificate or not. It’s probably a scenario like @JermajestyDuggar described above. But Kelly and Gil were open to changing the spelling of Michael’s name after it was “official”, so it’s possible that Kelly’s parents made a change to her birth certificate. I think the pre-birth certificate change is a lot more probable since it doesn’t involve any legal changes.

• Thank You 3

RE: giving birth in the ocean.  The Long Island Sound off the coast of Connecticut (a small northeastern state in the USA) currently has an issue with a "flesh eating bacteria" killing people who go swimming with wounds.  Some sort of Vibrio sp I've never heard of before.  Not the best place to free birth, I'd say.

• Upvote 3
  • Disgust 1
  • Sad 3
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I know a lot of people who chose one name for a baby and after a day or two, decided on a different name when they actually filled out the paperwork for the baby. My sister did this with one of her kids. And know others who did this as well. They just thought the name didn’t fit after calling the baby the name for 48 hours. 

Yes! This happened to me! Apparently my parents are quite indecisive.

When my older sister was born, she was briefly (for mere minutes) named Serena and then named Billie!

When pregnant with me, my parents still liked Serena so it was a top contender for my name until my mum agreed with dad's suggestion of Rhiannon (he is a big Stevie Nicks fan). So Rhiannon was actually my name for the first few hours!

There's even a hospital bracelet with Rhiannon written on it... and then they settled on Emma. I can't imagine myself being named Rhiannon at all!

I'm the baby, so more kids to almost name Serena. 🤣

Edited by MaryOrMartha
  • Upvote 6

My mom didn’t have a name for almost a month! My grandparents each liked a different name and couldn’t agree. I think you have 30 days to complete the birth certificate here, so they left it to the last moment, lol

• Upvote 1

My memory could definitely be wonky, but I thought the Lisa Jo/Kelly Jo change happened when Kelly was older, like around 4-5 or so, which makes it pretty odd. Does anyone remember? I've known a small number of people whose parents changed their original chosen name before the birth certificate paperwork, so something about Kelly's name being changed stood out to me.

• Upvote 2

I could not imagine caring so much about a k theme that I would rename my six year old.

The only solid reason I could think to change a name change would be social say I named my kid Karen or ISIS.

But from what I can tell for the rest of your life you have to declare that you were previously known as... on any legal documents, that sounds painful to me. So it would have to  be extreme for me to do it. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 3

1 minute ago, AussieKrissy said:

But from what I can tell for the rest of your life you have to declare that you were previously known as... on any legal documents, that sounds painful to me. So it would have to  be extreme for me to do it. 

It depends on the state and how the name was changed.  My daughter wanted a name change and due to the state where she was born, it was a simple birth certificate "correction" that could be done by the parent who signed the BC request form up until their 18th birthday.  No need for any previously known as has ever shown up.

• Upvote 4

My mom changed my last name when I was 6. It was my bio dads name but they had a nasty break up and she hated being called Mrs. Bio Dad, so she changed my last name to her last name. I have had to submit that name change paperwork anytime I've had a situation where I had to submit my birth certificate as well because it never got changed on there. 

Regarding naming a child, I never settle on a name before giving birth. I come up with two-three names and decide which of those names is the one after I meet them. 

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Then they changed Michal to Michael(a). These people are weird!

They couldn't add the A for free, so she's legally Michael.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF 1

2 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Which is even weirder that they call her Michaela sometimes. Because Michael and Michaela are two different names. I swear Gil and Kelly are just odd sometimes.

• Upvote 5

On 8/26/2023 at 1:39 PM, JDuggs said:

I don’t think it’s an issue. Jadon’s hair is so light, it’s hard to see. He has a short crew cut. Bradley’s hair is longer on top, but it’s also very short in the back. Jadon probably doesn’t like getting his hair cut, so this style is the quickest choice and requires no maintenance.

Picture of Bradley’s hair to see how short his is in the back.

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.7f5beb3ac13c36caf3eb047cf32ee7de.png

I just saw today that Lawson has the same haircut as Bradley. It must be the style Jonas Thatcher thinks is cutting edge these days. I rather dislike it.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.98382c2b3e334d0abf1fb676df6b5ba7.png

The haircut looks cute on Bradley (everything looks cute on Bradley!) but not in Lawson. Quite alt-right style, isn't it?

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 4

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Which is even weirder that they call her Michaela sometimes. Because Michael and Michaela are two different names. I swear Gil and Kelly are just odd sometimes.

Yes, but they pronounce Michaela as Michael-a, not Mikayla. Which I guess makes it less weird. I think they call her Michaela to help make it known that she's a female, not a male named Michael - as I'd imagine there'd be a lot of confusion especially if she's emailing or filling out forms. I'll even bet there's been some people assuming she's half of a gay couple - Michael and Brandon, so I'll be willing to bet she finds a way to make it clear that she's female because assuming Michael & Brandon are two men married to each other is a horrid thought to them & their circles.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

Yes, but they pronounce Michaela as Michael-a, not Mikayla. Which I guess makes it less weird. I think they call her Michaela to help make it known that she's a female, not a male named Michael - as I'd imagine there'd be a lot of confusion especially if she's emailing or filling out forms. I'll even bet there's been some people assuming she's half of a gay couple - Michael and Brandon, so I'll be willing to bet she finds a way to make it clear that she's female because assuming Michael & Brandon are two men married to each other is a horrid thought to them & their circles.

Actually I’ve heard them all call her “Micky” too. That’s her actual nickname I think. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, MaryOrMartha said:

When I first learnt about the Duggars and Bateses I read a blog post about a “Michael” being in a courtship with a “Brandon” and my first thought was, that’s very progressive of them haha! Not so much… 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 10

12 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Per my cousins who used to go to church with the Bateses when there were like eight children, Michael was teased by other children at church and presumably other places because she had a "boy name." She added the "a" herself to be Michaela. One cousin of mine said that the teasing was so rough that it was basically bullying that left her in tears most weeks. Kelly apparently easily switched to calling her by that name in public but Gil rarely did. Her younger siblings grew up calling her that so it stuck. In her wedding episode she said she didn't care which one she was called as long as it was consistent in regard to the spelling and whatnot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 6

13 hours ago, OldFadedStar said:

My mom changed my last name when I was 6. It was my bio dads name but they had a nasty break up and she hated being called Mrs. Bio Dad, so she changed my last name to her last name. I have had to submit that name change paperwork anytime I've had a situation where I had to submit my birth certificate as well because it never got changed on there. 

Regarding naming a child, I never settle on a name before giving birth. I come up with two-three names and decide which of those names is the one after I meet them. 

I changed my children's last names after the divorce and I changed my youngest middle name, wish I would have changed my oldest middle name as well.  

Youngest middle name was Lyn and everywhere would combine her first name with middle name so it would be Firstnamelyn. I changed it to Ren. 

13 hours ago, marmalade said:

Ironically, if they would have taken an E out, they would have a very common female name from Isreal, Michal. 

16 minutes ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Ironically, if they would have taken an E out, they would have a very common female name from Isreal, Michal. 

I wonder if that was the original intention with her name. 

25 minutes ago, Longhairedheathen said:

Michael’s name was originally Michal. Then Kelly and Gil decided they didn’t like the biblical Michal, so they added the e since they could only add/change one letter without extra hassle/$.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Longhairedheathen said:

She was called Michal at birth. But later, Gil and Kelly learned thay Biblical Michal was not a submissive woman  (or something like that) and then changed the name. Adding a letter was free, so they called her Michael, which I cannot understand, considering their extreme sexism. And she was just the second baby, if they didn't have money for a name change, how could they afford eleventy more children?

Edited by Melissa1977
Spelling
  • Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

2 hours ago, JDuggs said:

Michael’s name was originally Michal. Then Kelly and Gil decided they didn’t like the biblical Michal, so they added the e since they couldonly add/change one letter without extra hassle/$.

Really!?! They chose Michael over Micha or Mychal (My-chelle). 

• Upvote 2