IGNORED

Josie & Kelton 9

Coconut Flan

56 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

Come on, everyone knows women is always second to a man! Women were made to be of help to men (Genesis) and they must obey their husband (Ephesians). So of course, these parents are only doing their jobs. They know a daughter will be second to a man all her life. /sarcams ends here.  😒

It's actually sad and it shows that despite wanting to look mainstream and trendy, these values are still so ingrained in their brains. Sure the Bates' daughters and DIL have a different reality than their parents. Cool, they can wear pants once they leave home and I'm happy if they want to have maternity photo shoots in sexy dresses. All for it. Some of them even have their own businesses like BSB or Josie's hair products. A lot of the daughters and DIL are probably the breadwinners, especially with social media (let's face it, no one would watch Youtube videos of a guy named Kelton Balka if he wasn't married to someone who was on TV). In a way, it's cool that they have more agency in their own lives than the women before them.

But I feel like deep down, their core values are very much still anchored in patriarchal fundamentalist principles. And when do we see it the most? When a golden penis is born. 

I don't think the bates are boy crazy as people think. Erin only wanted a boy for Carson to have a brother and Josie and Lydia really wanted a girl their first time around. I cant blame people like Alyssa or even Josie after having the same gender multiple times wanting to experience the other side. Most people do. I hope to have at least on of each and not all the same (I grew up in a all girl house.) When it comes to Kelton wanting a boy I cant blame him after having two girls. He has shown no behavior that he doesn't love his two girls, but in the long run I highly doubt either willow or Hazel are going to take over the plumbing business. This boy might not either, but Kelton probably envisions that with having a son.  I do see problems with how Alyssa is treating her girls vs boy but it doesn't help that Rhett cant really do anything because he's a baby, but I do think she is sister moming. But with Josie I don't think she is biased at all. She will love having a son and loves having girls that she might even hand over her business one day to. And if people want to live a more conservative life or a more patriarchal life than who cares.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 3
  • WTF 3

14 minutes ago, raayx01 said:

I don't think the bates are boy crazy as people think. Erin only wanted a boy for Carson to have a brother and Josie and Lydia really wanted a girl their first time around. I cant blame people like Alyssa or even Josie after having the same gender multiple times wanting to experience the other side. Most people do. I hope to have at least on of each and not all the same (I grew up in a all girl house.) When it comes to Kelton wanting a boy I cant blame him after having two girls. He has shown no behavior that he doesn't love his two girls, but in the long run I highly doubt either willow or Hazel are going to take over the plumbing business. This boy might not either, but Kelton probably envisions that with having a son.  I do see problems with how Alyssa is treating her girls vs boy but it doesn't help that Rhett cant really do anything because he's a baby, but I do think she is sister moming. But with Josie I don't think she is biased at all. She will love having a son and loves having girls that she might even hand over her business one day to. And if people want to live a more conservative life or a more patriarchal life than who cares.

I mean, of course, having a child of a different gender is fun and people can be happy to have one of each. And I agree, ultimately, I don't question that all of the Bates second gen couple LOVE their girls. But it still feels weirdly disproportionate how they seem to rejoice in having boys, in a way that seems quite different when they have girls.

It felt like it was coming from their core values of seeing men as leaders and not women. Maybe it's just me.

• Upvote 9

10 minutes ago, Vivi_music said:

I mean, of course, having a child of a different gender is fun and people can be happy to have one of each. And I agree, ultimately, I don't question that all of the Bates second gen couple LOVE their girls. But it still feels weirdly disproportionate how they seem to rejoice in having boys, in a way that seems quite different when they have girls.

It felt like it was coming from their core values of seeing men as leaders and not women. Maybe it's just me.

I guess we're just really noticing it now since there has been a run of boys in Batesville. If Esther is indeed pregnant and has another girl, let's see how she and Nathan spin it. 

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, raayx01 said:

Every time I need a plumber, I rethink my choice to get an English Lit degree. They make like 3x what I do. And I once found my dishwasher schematics online and dismantled the entire thing to fix a clog. I missed my calling lol.

• Upvote 13

1 hour ago, Kiki03910 said:

Every time I need a plumber, I rethink my choice to get an English Lit degree. They make like 3x what I do. And I once found my dishwasher schematics online and dismantled the entire thing to fix a clog. I missed my calling lol.

I have an extreme aversion to poo so I could never be a plumber. But another skilled job would work. Like an electrician. 

• Upvote 2

They named the baby Miles Kelton Balka. Not really what I was expecting and not necessarily a name I’d choose but I don’t hate it. 

(Do either of the girls have Josie as their middle name? Or is it just the men who get that privilege?)

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 6

I said this on the other thread but Miles is extremely popular in my kids’ elementary school. I’m surprised she went with something that seems so popular to me. Willow is much less popular than Miles. Although Hazel is rising in popularity. 

• Upvote 2

I want to know how they got a custom sweater for this previously unnamed baby. 

I think they were holding out on their fans for clicks, despite what they claimed.

Is he the biggest baby delivered by a Bates sister? 7 10 is a pretty good size for a 37 weeker.

Edited by marmalade
Autofill got me again!
  • Upvote 3
  • I Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Alysabeth said:

They named the baby Miles Kelton Balka. Not really what I was expecting and not necessarily a name I’d choose but I don’t hate it. 

I am going to assume that the kid is named after Miles Davis unless I hear different. I kid, I kid.

image.png.d65c226ad197ef8e2e494f1aa5156595.png

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I think they were holding out on their fans for clicks, despite what they claimed.

Is he the biggest baby delivered by a Bates sister? 7 10 is a pretty good size for a 37 weeker.

You know what’s weird? I have a friend who is making these exact custom sweaters and she says it’s very easy. She’s just doing it for fun. Josie might’ve made it  pretty quickly. 

I just thought of something. Maybe Michael embroidered it for her. She’s the crafty one.

• Upvote 2

Miles is a nice name and goes well with Willow and Hazel. Its a shame that they didnt use Edward as a middle name, it flows a lot nicer than Kelton and he would still be named after his father.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 4

40 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

You know what’s weird? I have a friend who is making these exact custom sweaters and she says it’s very easy. She’s just doing it for fun. Josie might’ve made it  pretty quickly. 

I just thought of something. Maybe Michael embroidered it for her. She’s the crafty one.

After posting, I found out that Josie had a "friend" customize the sweater last night. 

• Upvote 2

Did anyone correctly guess the name?

I think Miles is better than Zade or Ryker.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

I love the name Miles. I guess the nature theme isn’t something they were sold on. Miles is my favorite Bates boy name.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JDuggs said:

I love the name Miles. I guess the nature theme isn’t something they were sold on. Miles is my favorite Bates boy name.

Maybe she will be like Jessa. Nature theme for the girls but not the boys. 

• Upvote 4

On 2/24/2024 at 5:40 PM, AussieKrissy said:

I had a devious trick for the parking. Park for a week. Loose my ticket. Pay the one day 19 dollar fee.  Dodgey I know but the money does not go to the hospital so I “justified” my deviousness 

Oh here in Canada it does go to the hospital. 

• Upvote 1

Love the name Miles and flows with Willow and Hazel. All of the Balka kids have nice first names. Josie is the only Bates who has good taste in names, lol.

As for Kelton... Yuck. Lmao

• Upvote 5

29 minutes ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Love the name Miles and flows with Willow and Hazel. All of the Balka kids have nice first names. Josie is the only Bates who has good taste in names, lol.

As for Kelton... Yuck. Lmao

Agreed- the biggest downfall of the name is the use of Kelton. It’s why people should avoid obscure names. Because if Kelton’s name was Edward or Joseph, Miles’s  middle name wouldn’t be Kelton. Unfortunate-

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanadianMamam said:

Oh here in Canada it does go to the hospital. 

Oh, I’m in Canada too and our hospital’s parking fees don’t go to the hospital. The parking lots are actually owned by a large contracting company. So the fees go to them for the maintenance etc (unsure if they make a profit… my guess is yes?)

• Upvote 3

Miles? Not one I expected from her, but compared to most of the Bates male grandchild names (Kade, Kolter, Zade, Ryder, even Rhett), it’s positively normal. Simple, classic, popular but not obnoxiously so. Well done, Josie. 

• Upvote 10

20 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

Or it could just be that outside of Tori (who doesn’t do much on social media), everyone else had either a girl first (Carlin, Josie, Katie, Esther), more girls than boys (Whitney, Erin), or all girls (Alyssa up until Rhett). If it had been reversed…all boys or majority boys, I think you’d the same excitement when a girl finally showed up. That’s human nature and you see it in most families.

• Upvote 8

5 hours ago, marmalade said:

She posted in her stories thanking her friend that did it and brought it to her. The woman was in the hospital room so an actual in person friend that can knit/crochet. 

ETA just catching and saw someone else already answered. sorry!

Edited by gobucks
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, gobucks said:

She posted in her stories thanking her friend that did it and brought it to her. The woman was in the hospital room so an actual in person friend that can knit/crochet. 

ETA just catching and saw someone else already answered. sorry!

Yeah, I answered myself. 😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DalmatianCat said:

Or it could just be that outside of Tori (who doesn’t do much on social media), everyone else had either a girl first (Carlin, Josie, Katie, Esther), more girls than boys (Whitney, Erin), or all girls (Alyssa up until Rhett). If it had been reversed…all boys or majority boys, I think you’d the same excitement when a girl finally showed up. That’s human nature and you see it in most families.

What is the boy/girl ratio for Bates grandkids? I feel like they have a lot more girls overall, but I’ve never counted.