IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

Somebody tell JillRod that Gothard says we have a gut brain and can sleep learn - she'll be telling people to sleep with an IV drip of Plexus and a recording of the bible.

Edited by thoughtful
clarity
  • Haha 19

17 minutes ago, Columbia said:

That was the most incoherent babbling I've ever seen. 

What on earth does this mean? What happened five years ago that Billy suddenly figured this out? Didn't he get kicked out in 2014? What has he been doing since then?

He was referring to something that happened in 2018 that he thinks cleared him for good. Something about "secret chats." Since it was such word salad, I couldn't quite tell what happened. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Columbia said:

What on earth does this mean? What happened five years ago that Billy suddenly figured this out? Didn't he get kicked out in 2014? What has he been doing since then?

Closely communing with his gut brain.

• Haha 9

20 minutes ago, marmalade said:

If I were to guess, I'd say his gut brain wrote that tweet. 

Or his lower intestine brain. Makes you wonder what his gastroenterologist sees on his colonoscopies.

Or maybe Bill takes the easy way out, and lets this guy do the talking:

Spoiler

image.png.cf3795253f879d7d5ca6d8489b7f29f7.png

Edited by thoughtful
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 15

Someone mentioned the documentary today after church.  Someone I never expected to. I wasn’t able to discuss it with them because I was busy doing something else, but was intrigued that it was not only mentioned, but Bill Gothard was mentioned as a false teacher.  

• Upvote 20

Beyond the ridiculousness and BSC of Gothard's 3-brain statement is the certainty that his leghumpers will believe every ridiculous and BSC word.

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Beyond the ridiculousness and BSC of Gothard's 3-brain statement is the certainty that his leghumpers will believe every ridiculous and BSC word.

It does give me a little hope that no one on Twitter seems to be taking his excuse seriously.

• Upvote 7

Does anyone else still get the REM song stuck in their head when they read this thread?

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 10
  • Love 1

23 hours ago, marmalade said:

He was referring to something that happened in 2018 that he thinks cleared him for good. Something about "secret chats." Since it was such word salad, I couldn't quite tell what happened. 

Iirc that’s when a lawsuit against him was thrown out.  But it was only thrown out because of the statue of limitations, not because he was innocent. 

Edited by Giraffe
Run on sentence was bothering me
  • Upvote 13

4 hours ago, indianabones said:

Does anyone else still get the REM song stuck in their head when they read this thread?

Oh yes, and a sense of nostalgia for sharehouse parties.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:29 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Allie B Stuckey posted on her Instagram how IBLP wasn’t wrong in any of their beliefs, but they just implemented those beliefs incorrectly and legalistically. Barf. That’s what so many fundies are saying. They are trying so hard to make their shitty beliefs ok while trying to distance themselves from IBLP. And Claire Duggar liked that post. 

Every. Single. Cult. "It's just [they] did it wrong, not the beliefs!" I swear I've read the exact same thing so many times, from Scientology to offshoots of Hinduism.

• Upvote 13

Bill Gothard and his ilk seem to only have one brain, but it's not in the head, the heart, or the gut.

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 7

3 hours ago, GuineaPigCourtship said:

Bill Gothard and his ilk seem to only have one brain, but it's not in the head, the heart, or the gut.

Someplace small and needy?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 12

20 hours ago, indianabones said:

Yes. However, my favorite use of the song was when I once saw a news magazine use it as background music while airing clips of many famous celebrities arriving at an awards show like the Oscars or Grammys. It was so appropriate. 

• Upvote 2

Seth Andrews weighs in:

I haven't listened to it yet - still catching up.

• Thank You 6

Crystal Paine, raised in the ATI/IBLP cult, reviews Jinger Vuoloʻs book. 

If you were raised in the ATI/IBLP program, there could be value in reading the book as it might help shed some light on some of the beliefs. However, I was very bothered by the fact that she wrote an entire book that was sharply critical of the principles and beliefs she was raised with and never, ever, not once, put any of the blame for one single drop of any of it at her parents’ feet.

Here’s the thing: I get wanting to protect her relationship with her parents. I get not wanting to publicly call them out. But if you are going to agree to writing a book that is all about how you “disentangled” from the beliefs you were raised with and you are going to talk about how detrimental those beliefs were in your life, you are missing the mark if you don’t acknowledge the part your parents played in that....

Another thing I noticed in the book was how much her faith now is dependent upon things she’s learned from others — her brother-in-law, her husband, her pastor, her church. There is a tendency when you’ve been raised to be a formula follower to just transfer that following to someone else. I know, because I did it, too.

• Upvote 28
  • Thank You 11

8 hours ago, hoipolloi said:

This is exactly what I’ve been saying since her book came out. How can you not lay at least some blame on your parents? They may have started out with good intentions. But it was very obvious that over the decades this cult had negative effects on many of their children. Yet they are still in it today! I feel sorry for Jinger. She’s still being told what to believe to this day. 

• Upvote 25
  • Sad 2
  • I Agree 2

Breaking news over at JulieRoys.com: "Bill Gothard Victim Names Witness to Grooming—Duggar Relative, Pastor David Waller"

(Apparently this story was told in the SHP documentary, but the witness wasn't named... so the victim has now named him.)

https://julieroys.com/bill-gothard-victim-names-witness-to-grooming-duggar-relative-pastor-waler/

ETA: Sorry, I see this is being discussed over on the Waller thread; I should have checked!

Edited by Antipatriarch
duplicate of discussion on Waller thread
  • Upvote 6
  • Thank You 8

On 6/30/2023 at 8:28 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

This is exactly what I’ve been saying since her book came out. How can you not lay at least some blame on your parents? They may have started out with good intentions. But it was very obvious that over the decades this cult had negative effects on many of their children. Yet they are still in it today! I feel sorry for Jinger. She’s still being told what to believe to this day. 

I wonder if there is a fear of loosing siblings if they finally admit their parents are primarily to blame for raising them in that environment.  It’s honest to say my parents made poor choices while raising us but I still love them and forgive them.  Parents ready to ask for forgiveness would be hurt I’m sure, but also able to admit it was true.  If Jinjer and Jill are still afraid to deconstruct the way they were raised, it really says more about JB and Michelle.  

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

9 hours ago, KWLand said:

I wonder if there is a fear of loosing siblings if they finally admit their parents are primarily to blame for raising them in that environment.  It’s honest to say my parents made poor choices while raising us but I still love them and forgive them.  Parents ready to ask for forgiveness would be hurt I’m sure, but also able to admit it was true.  If Jinjer and Jill are still afraid to deconstruct the way they were raised, it really says more about JB and Michelle.  

Most of them are still reliant on JB and Michelle for money.

On 6/30/2023 at 1:15 AM, hoipolloi said:

Is she related to Chad?

8 hours ago, Bluebirdbluebell said:

Most of them are still reliant on JB and Michelle for money.

Is she related to Chad?

No, they are different Paines.

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 2

41 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No, they are different Paines.

Oh, there is a good joke in here, somewhere.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 15
  • I Agree 3

How do you see the extra behind the scenes stuff please? I tried but couldn’t find it. I watch Amazon on my iPad if that makes a difference. Thank you.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, anachronistic said:

How do you see the extra behind the scenes stuff please? I tried but couldn’t find it. I watch Amazon on my iPad if that makes a difference. Thank you.

Even though the series is on Amazon, the after show was on youtube.

• Thank You 12

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic