IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

Here’s a nuanced discussion of Paul and Morgan’s objections to the docuseries, by Taylor the AntiBot and her husband Drew, Genetically Modified Skeptic:

• Thank You 9

11 hours ago, Hane said:

Here’s a nuanced discussion of Paul and Morgan’s objections to the docuseries, by Taylor the AntiBot and her husband Drew, Genetically Modified Skeptic:

I enjoyed their discussion, and also Jaclyn Glenn's:

• Thank You 3

She's so right.  This is also why it's so dangerous to "other" the evangelical and conservative churches by calling them cults.  Cults in general view are fringe groups.  The evangelical, conservative churches are about 30% of the US.  That isn't a crazy fringe.  They're a major bloc of the Republican party and a huge part of the stranglehold the Republican conservatives have on the lives of the rest of us.  

• Upvote 18
  • Love 4

18 hours ago, Hane said:

The docuseries filmmaker weighs in here and I think she's right. I didn't know who Paul and Morgan were before this, but the point of the documentary wasn't to proselytize people but to expose IBLP

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 2.34.47 PM.png

• Upvote 16
  • Thank You 2
  • Love 11

20 minutes ago, neuroticcat said:

The docuseries filmmaker weighs in here and I think she's right. I didn't know who Paul and Morgan were before this, but the point of the documentary wasn't to proselytize people but to expose IBLP

Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 2.34.47 PM.png

There were people saying the same things in fb comments when Abigail Miller (JillRod former fundie friend) posted in favor of the documentary. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

There were people saying the same things in fb comments when Abigail Miller (JillRod former fundie friend) posted in favor of the documentary. 

Was this on Abigail's FB or somewhere else?

nvm Found it. And I was happy seeing how many people agreed with her. 

Edited by marmalade
  • Upvote 3

23 hours ago, gustava said:

My husband and I never spanked or hit my son. I could not and would not ever allow someone else to spank or hit him. I got angry at times as a young parent and realized I had to learn how to handle it without resorting to physical punishment. My son is now an amazing adult with whom I have an excellent relationship. 

I’ve never understood the concept of a church group or leader telling a person how they absolutely must raise their children (or manage their marriage or handle their finances for that matter). I cannot believe how many people buy into that! I may have been wishy washy about people pleasing and lack of boundaries, but how I dealt with my home life was never up for some religious order or elders to interfere. 

The author of the article says she vowed to protect her child from “pain-driven ideology”. That’s a good way to phrase it. I wonder how people might react to the Duggars if their 19KAC show was aired  for the first time in today’s viral world, and had TLC emphasized blanket training by using a term like “pain-driven theology” rather than hear Michelle’s itty bitty baby talk voice discussing it from a church podium with her permy ringlett hairdo and green button down shirt. 

Edited by Cam
  • Upvote 21
  • Love 2

Hope this isn't a duplicate post.  RC "Spanky" Sproul has weighed in on SHP and is, of course, totally panning it as propaganda.  Sinners, we're all sinners, so sinners shouldn't be calling out other sinners and who knows if Gothard really did all the bad stuff that dozens women say he did when they were young teen girls and on and on.  

If you can stand it: Shiny Happy Propaganda

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Disgust 7
  • WTF 1
  • Thank You 5

It’s so strange how the ones defending the Duggars and any church abuse are also the group saying it’s loving to be homophobic.  It’s disgusting.

I hate how much attention Paul and Morgan have received.  Lori Alexander and Steve Anderson have both shown that attention is the goal, so even bad attention is good in their eyes and I’m sure Paul and Morgan’s.

• Upvote 11

33 minutes ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

I read 3 paragraphs and was ill.  Sproul is disgusting

Patriarchs cannot and will not ever recognize that that patriarchy requires women to erase themselves.  They don't see that as a bad thing, since (in their minds) God requires women to submit to men. 

Also, if you can stand to read more than a few sentences  of  Sproul's screed, he includes the usual threat that God will punish whoever doesn't toe patriarchy's theological line. 

• Upvote 11

3 hours ago, Howl said:

Hope this isn't a duplicate post.  RC "Spanky" Sproul has weighed in on SHP and is, of course, totally panning it as propaganda.  Sinners, we're all sinners, so sinners shouldn't be calling out other sinners and who knows if Gothard really did all the bad stuff that dozens women say he did when they were young teen girls and on and on.  

If you can stand it: Shiny Happy Propaganda

The first propagandist, the devil, began his first message to God’s people, “Has God indeed said…” He has indeed.

Every fool I’ve seen try to justify Christian patriarchialism using this example keeps forgetting that the answer to the devil’s question was actually “no.”

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, KWLand said:

I hate how much attention Paul and Morgan have received.  Lori Alexander and Steve Anderson have both shown that attention is the goal, so even bad attention is good in their eyes and I’m sure Paul and Morgan’s.

I didn’t even know about them before watching SHP. I understand why they were included but I agree that now they will get more attention.

I think the majority of Paul and Morgan’s fame is hate watching. People were hate watching them long before SHP. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

Rachel Denhollender is part of a project that's coming out as sort of a deep dive into more IBLP related info:

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 11
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Rachel Denhollender is part of a project that's coming out as sort of a deep dive into more IBLP related info:

Lauren Rose is also in it, her photo appears in SHP, she’s featured in a video for Journey to the Heart, and she was close friends with Kendalyn Staddon (she was even featured on their blog).

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

5 hours ago, jakesykora said:

Wow, that trailer is POWERFUL. 

And Rachael Denhollander is a heroic force to be reckoned with. She is just amazing. 

• Upvote 13
  • I Agree 11

Lori Alexander is still raging that SHP exists and is working hard to convince people everything in it is lies, JBoob and Moochelle are wonderful people and the best parents ever, and that Jinger and JIl are lying jezebel beyotches with bad thinking.

On her FB today she posted John Moody's exhortation not to watch the documentary because doing so leads you into Sin. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 12

21 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

Lori Alexander is still raging that SHP exists and is working hard to convince people everything in it is lies, JBoob and Moochelle are wonderful people and the best parents ever, and that Jinger and JIl are lying jezebel beyotches with bad thinking.

On her FB today she posted John Moody's exhortation not to watch the documentary because doing so leads you into Sin. 

Do these people ever get sick and tired of having someone else tell them what to do and what not to do? Wtf. Can they not just say, I will watch this myself if I want and determine myself what I do or do not think about it. It is MY choice. All these blowhard men so puffed up with self importance telling the cult followers what to do, think, say, wear and how to behave. Why can’t more of these followers say, enough already, I have my own brain ad can make my own adult decisions!

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 16

1 hour ago, Cam said:

Do these people ever get sick and tired of having someone else tell them what to do and what not to do? Wtf. Can they not just say, I will watch this myself if I want and determine myself what I do or do not think about it. It is MY choice. All these blowhard men so puffed up with self importance telling the cult followers what to do, think, say, wear and how to behave. Why can’t more of these followers say, enough already, I have my own brain ad can make my own adult decisions!

I think there are people who like to be told the exact right thing to do. I’m sort of the opposite. But I recognize things like decision fatigue and wavering. Some people have a hard time making decisions because they waffle back and forth and can’t decide what would be best. It’s much easier when people convince you this is the right decision and you don’t have to waver. 

• Upvote 15

13 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think there are people who like to be told the exact right thing to do. I’m sort of the opposite. But I recognize things like decision fatigue and wavering. Some people have a hard time making decisions because they waffle back and forth and can’t decide what would be best. It’s much easier when people convince you this is the right decision and you don’t have to waver. 

That's maybe why joining the military works for some. I would have beers disaster in that setting for lots of reasons but it works for many.

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

That's maybe why joining the military works for some. I would have beers disaster in that setting for lots of reasons but it works for many.

True. And also when it comes to parenting. I was always very confident in my decisions before I had kids. Then once I had kids, I was nowhere near as confident in my decisions. Parenting is decision after decision every single day for 18 years straight. Some decisions I know are right. But there are lots of others where I have a hard time deciding the best course of action for my kid. Most are just little things. Like should they have yet another cookie when they already had three. But others are bigger. Like should I schedule an appt for a speech evaluation. 

• Upvote 4
  • Love 15

Still. I will watch this tv series. I will not watch this tv series. A simple choice. Dude at a podium telling me what to do not necessary. 

• Upvote 2

It's almost like if you were raised with strong values you could make those decisions for yourself.  I mean, I was raised Congregationalist and am now atheist although I'd qualify as a cultural Christian.  My ethics/morality are pretty well set regardless of my religious views.

• Upvote 10

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic