IGNORED

Shiny Happy People: A Duggar and IBLP Documentary

CanadianMamam

8 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I swear Steve Maxwell could find an eye trap on a nun!

I can just imagine him now: "See how the guimpe draws your eyes to the chest, and makes you think of the breasts underneath!"

Spoiler

7up8rk.jpg.9c009bcba83fd520e2ddc800b1ffdbcc.jpg

Edited by thoughtful
riffle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

Makes me so sad to think of those girls, likely heavily indoctrinated, and JTTH being the closest thing to time away from their families.

Whenever I see current IBLP pics I just think: religious trauma ahead. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 7

13 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

What is the new clothing fashion for wholesome Christian ladies, now?

Fast fashion from Bates Sisters Boutique? 😃

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, FilleMondaine said:

What is the new clothing fashion for wholesome Christian ladies, now?

Many are chucking the old ways of skirts past the knee and always some sort of sleeve. Even Erin Bates wore a sleeveless shirt the other day. And she’s really sticking with the skirts. If you look at the Big Sandy family conference nowadays, there are very few skirts in the females. It’s a lot of pants and shorts. They aren’t shorty shorts or anything like that. But they are shorts and pants. Which used to be against the rules. And even the ones who are still skirts only are trying to keep up with current 2023 fashions. 

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 1

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Many are chucking the old ways of skirts past the knee and always some sort of sleeve. Even Erin Bates wore a sleeveless shirt the other day. And she’s really sticking with the skirts. If you look at the Big Sandy family conference nowadays, there are very few skirts in the females. It’s a lot of pants and shorts. They aren’t shorty shorts or anything like that. But they are shorts and pants. Which used to be against the rules. And even the ones who are still skirts only are trying to keep up with current 2023 fashions. 

It’s easier to recruit new members if you look somewhat normal. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 14

6 minutes ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

It’s easier to recruit new members if you look somewhat normal. 

That’s why I think many fundies of many flavors (not just IBLP) are going this way. They want to look cool and trendy. They don’t want to stick out like a sore thumb anymore. If you look cool and trendy, others will want to get to know you. If you look like Laura Ingalls, you won’t get many takers. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • I Agree 5

I also think they think it might be easier to retain members, particularly teens and young adults if they can have the little things like looking normal. And honestly, it might work if you have someone who’s image conscious and doesn’t think too deep.

Edited by Father Son Holy Goat
  • Upvote 10

1 minute ago, Father Son Holy Goat said:

I also think they think it might be easier to retain members, particularly teens and young adults if they can have the little things like looking normal. And honestly, it might work if you have someone who’s image conscious and doesn’t think too deep.

It’s worked for Jinger. She thinks she’s free now because she can wear mainstream clothes and use birth control. 

• Upvote 6
  • I Agree 17

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

It’s worked for Jinger. She thinks she’s free now because she can wear mainstream clothes and use birth control. 

Yep. And honestly as a young teen it might have worked on me. But not forever, I’m a defiantly critical thinker. 

• Upvote 5

On 8/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

If you look at the Big Sandy family conference nowadays, there are very few skirts in the females

I was excited to hear that news, but then I went to the Big Sandy Conference website and saw that the dress code for the young ladies from 12-18, for the Commit program, is as follows: 

“Daily Dress for Young Women: Dress skirt of modest length (Please avoid slits.) Modest-fitting blouse, and Dress shoes.”

So if my teen showed up in a “modest fitted, no slits” dress (not the proscribed skirt and blouse) plus  sandals 🩴 would it be scandalous? Would she be allowed to participate? Would I get “the talk,” and be added to a prayer list? If she wore shorts and a T-shirt would someone have an aneurism? 

Is it possible that the facility rents out their location to saner groups and the pictures of normally clad females are from them? 

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Bassett Lady said:

I was excited to hear that news, but then I went to the Big Sandy Conference website and saw that the dress code for the young ladies from 12-18, for the Commit program, is as follows: 

“Daily Dress for Young Women: Dress skirt of modest length (Please avoid slits.) Modest-fitting blouse, and Dress shoes.”

So if my teen showed up in a “modest fitted, no slits” dress (not the proscribed skirt and blouse) plus  sandals 🩴 would it be scandalous? Would she be allowed to participate? Would I get “the talk,” and be added to a prayer list? If she wore shorts and a T-shirt would someone have an aneurism? 

Is it possible that the facility rents out their location to saner groups and the pictures of normally clad females are from them? 

I think there are a bunch of different programs in IBLP. There’s ALERT, Journey to the Heart, COMMIT, and a bunch of others that have probably gone defunct. But I think the general family conference is different from those specialized groups. And at the general family conference, they are now dressing way more mainstream than 10 years ago. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

I know I'm about fifteen years late to this discussion but I finally got around to binge watching Shiny Happy People yesterday (yay Covid - fifth time in three years - I work in a prison...) and I had to come here and say: Go Derrick Dillard. Got to admit, I didn't like him at all on the show, I thought he was smug and overbearing and pious. I felt sorry for Jill ending up with what I thought was another sanctimonious prat like her father.

But I take it back. On SHP, he seemed supportive and gentle and loving and I saw a real connection between them. Jill looked safe and cared for and heard, which is just lovely. 

Amy, her mother and her husband were super-annoying though. Way to make everything about yourselves 🙄

Definitely a ton of material barely touched upon; we deserve a second season!!*

(*You just know the producers are googling and will read here... 😁😁😁)

Edited by IrishCarrie
  • Upvote 15
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Some mommy blogger I've never heard of is trying to raise money to make a rebuttal piece. She's calling it "Shiny Slander." 

Good luck with that, hun. 😂

• Haha 27

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

Some mommy blogger I've never heard of is trying to raise money to make a rebuttal piece. She's calling it "Shiny Slander." 

What’s her name? I’m guessing she’s just doing it for clicks because no one pays any attention to her. 

• Upvote 3

Holly McLean. She's all butthurt about Christians and homeschoolers being thrown under the bus, in her view.

They're asking for $300k. So far, they've raised ~$2500. 😂

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 7

57 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Holly McLean. She's all butthurt about Christians and homeschoolers being thrown under the bus, in her view.

I just looked at the fundraiser and of course most donors are anonymous. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, marmalade said:

Got to wonder how she's going to react when the defence is asking for discovery.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, marmalade said:

Gothard brown-nosing toady Alfred Corduran has been pushing it hard on Gothard 's behalf in the "Friends of Mr. G." FB group.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Gothard brown-nosing toady Alfred Corduran has been pushing it hard on Gothard 's behalf in the "Friends of Mr. G." FB group.

I forgot about him! He was the worst. Utterly delusional.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...

Finally ginned up the nerve to watch — holy shit. I have known a lot of this, of course, having followed FreeJinger, but to see and hear the people brought up under this is heartbreaking. It is unspeakably wicked, and yet the law cannot touch it. I am horrified. 

• Upvote 9
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 1

• 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, nolongerIFBx said:

Luckily, this probably won’t be anything close to as popular as Shiny Happy People. I’m sure Gothard apologists will watch it. And people like us might watch it. But that’s it. The mainstream public that only has a passing interest in fundies won’t watch it. 

Also I knew about this documentary because of this podcast from a few months ago:

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thank You 5

You know what is really funny? The woman who made this shitty documentary defending Bill Gothard is a conservative Mormon. And Bill Gothard believes Mormonism is a cult and Joseph smith is a cult leader. But I guess this woman wants to get internet famous so badly that she will defend Bill Gothard. Who shits on her religion. 

• Upvote 6
  • Confused 3
  • Eyeroll 3

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic