IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 13: Living on SM Income

Coconut Flan

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

I stand correct. This ridiculous falling-off-her-hips number is Layla's swimsuit #5.  Unless you own a pool, your toddler doesn't need own 5 swimsuits. Perhaps save for their higher education instead (who am I kidding?)

image.png.fec09d3456e456d788827f947b6e73ef.png

It’s funny because when it comes to little ones, I guess I’m fundie with swimwear! I have boys but if I had a girl, I’m sure I would put a rash guard type swim shirt on her and regular swim bottoms. That type of swim suit on Layla would only be used for indoor water parks and pools. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 2

My kid has those sunglasses. They at least bought good quality glasses with ultra protection for her eyes. The bathing suit is totally unpractical. How can Layla run, swim, jump etc in that monstrosity? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Expectopatronus said:

My kid has those sunglasses. They at least bought good quality glasses with ultra protection for her eyes. The bathing suit is totally unpractical. How can Layla run, swim, jump etc in that monstrosity? 

and how is that bikini bottom not filled with sand?

I feel like Carlin is buying Layla all of the swimsuits she always wanted growing up... when she was wearing a jean skirt and a t-shirt IN A LAKE! It is so much safer to be in a standard bathing suit, even if Carlin doesn't apply enough sunscreen!

• Upvote 12
  • I Agree 1

26 minutes ago, gobucks said:

I feel like Carlin is buying Layla all of the swimsuits she always wanted growing up... when she was wearing a jean skirt and a t-shirt IN A LAKE! It is so much safer to be in a standard bathing suit, even if Carlin doesn't apply enough sunscreen!

It’s cute now because Layla is three. I wonder at what age (puberty?) Layla will either need to give up the bikinis or Carlin will stop posting photos of her in them. Carlin seems very careful not to post photos of herself in “revealing” swimwear.

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 4

On 8/12/2023 at 12:48 AM, Expectopatronus said:

what I wanna know and I know it will hit Alyssa's kids first is when these swimmers will be replaced. There is no way that Layla or Allie will be allowed to wear that Bikini when they are 11? 12? 13?

When does cute turn to promiscuous? (their thinking not mine).

I saw that Carlin had a normal set of swimmers on (with a cover up over it) mind you they were less body show off than what a lot of girls her age where but hey I am not about putting my bits out there either, hers was a one piece, does she swim in that cover up too? Will Layla suddenly be told no you cant have bikinis and more and here is a cover up, no its not for the sun we have never cared about that before its for the modesty... 

My belief is that everyone has a body and if they wanna make that a bikini body more power to them.... 

On 8/12/2023 at 4:22 AM, JDuggs said:

It’s cute now because Layla is three. I wonder at what age (puberty?) Layla will either need to give up the bikinis or Carlin will stop posting photos of her in them. Carlin seems very careful not to post photos of herself in “revealing” swimwear.

jinx lol I should have continued reading before going off on my tangent...

• Upvote 4

On 8/11/2023 at 2:22 PM, JDuggs said:

I admit I’m not a huge fan of this double standard. It feels like parents are punishing their daughter for developing boobs and a butt. I guess I just think that if you are going to allow a bikini at 3, it’s only fair to allow a bikini at 15. 

• Upvote 3
  • I Agree 9

These are such interesting points, and I realize it will be the opposite situation of the current Bates women--Carlin et al were dressed very conservatively as children & got to loosen their clothing standards as they grew older. Carlin et al's daughters might have the opposite experience--running around in bikinis & belly baring tops as little girls, and having to cover up more as they get older! : )

• I Agree 1

This is minor. I have not watched today's vlog for the week, as I don't really want to watch a Tesla commercial today. I just wanted to point out that the title says "Layla's 23rd cousin." Not to be nitpicky but the baby is also Zade's 23rd cousin. Way to forget your own kid.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, rebeccawriter01 said:

This is minor. I have not watched today's vlog for the week, as I don't really want to watch a Tesla commercial today. I just wanted to point out that the title says "Layla's 23rd cousin." Not to be nitpicky but the baby is also Zade's 23rd cousin. Way to forget your own kid.

Layla's a big daddy's girl and Evan makes the videos.

Although I wonder if part of it is that Evan just prefers non-babies. I feel like he said something about liking it when kids could run around and talk to him etc.

I've not watched today's video yet and I don't know if I will. I couldn't watch the beach one because it was just too galling to me that people who go on vacation practically every week would certainly be going on and on about how this was their "first" vacation. Their "weekend away" style vacations are the only vacation I've ever had in my adult life and I had to save up CC points and scrimp to do it.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

Layla's a big daddy's girl and Evan makes the videos.

Although I wonder if part of it is that Evan just prefers non-babies. I feel like he said something about liking it when kids could run around and talk to him etc.

I've not watched today's video yet and I don't know if I will. I couldn't watch the beach one because it was just too galling to me that people who go on vacation practically every week would certainly be going on and on about how this was their "first" vacation. Their "weekend away" style vacations are the only vacation I've ever had in my adult life and I had to save up CC points and scrimp to do it.

I get the whole Evan/Layla vibe thing. It just hit me as oddly specific and had me counting out how many cousins there are and if he was somehow putting Zade into that number but he wasn't. I was one of the ones left out or oddly referred to by relatives growing up. So I feel for Zade who is too young to realize this yet. For example, I had an uncle who referred to me (introducing me to a neighbor) as his kids' cousin. 

Honestly, I have no interest in the videos at this point. I watched the Bateses because they were in an area that meant a lot to me as a child and as the daughter of someone who grew up there. It was a way to see a portion of her life even without leaving my house. I don't care anything about knowing what Evan Stewart is up to or anything of the sort. Carlin doesn't seem to have the interest or health stamina to do a vlog and he annoys me more than she does. 

Their entire schtick of spending money like crazy is annoying to me as a single mom who works hard for what I have and saves for the inevitable rainy days. They remind me too much of my extended family with their vacations, expensive cars, etc. without any regard for uncertainties. I could do a drinking game for how many times Evan works that Tesla into the videos but my liver is already having issues. 

I'll admit I'm in a bad mood right now. I'm enjoying having worked hard and gotten to where I want to be in life only for other life situations to kick my butt. Getting older sucks. I'm a little bitter and angry at everyone and Evan just continually gets on my last nerve.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 3

I feel ya. Evan and his tesla - I just want to punch him. Shut up. You're bragging you ass.

Also - charity? Mr. Christian Boy. Putting dollars on the target shelves with tracts is nice to do while you're already shopping (sarcasm) but why don't you go volunteer or something with your wealth and free time.

I don't think Carlin cares about the vlog at all other than 1. money and 2. some attention. It's my impression though that she gets more attention from instagram than youtube and it's probably easier to film a short reel video for your sponsored content than deal with weekly videos for youtube. She said in one video she hadn't watched most the videos and it looked like Evan died a little inside when she said it.

Lately I'm watching the bears eat salmon on the Katmai, Alaska live cam and it's a much better use of my after work time. At least the bears are doing something useful and aren't just contributing to the sucking dry of all that is good in the word through capitalist consumerism and right wing BS.

The trump crap plus half the world being on fire has also kind of gotten to me this week.

• Upvote 8

Most family vlogs are filled with over privileged white people exploiting their children, buying stuff, and pretending to be interesting when they aren’t. It’s the top 5% of the country making these channels as if it’s some decent representation of American life. It’s definitely not. But no one wants to watch a channel with a family getting their electricity cut off, struggling to buy any back to school clothes at all, and dealing with a health issue they could never dream to pay for out of pocket. 

• Upvote 15

I watched 2/3 of the most recent video. I turned it off when Evan went to the Tesla dealership to have some part replaced because there was a minor ding on delivery. Should have fast forwarded through the first portion.

Start with a cash and carry sale at the boutique. Line is around the store. Why? Then Whitney has the baby. Evan and Warden get lost in the hospital complex and we get way too much footage of them going up stairs and down deserted corridors, trying to find the correct elevator. When they find it, Evan fixates on the vending machines (“Snacks!”). That’s five minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

They skip over the actual birth part, probably because Zach and Whit want to release their own video. As they leave, Carlin tells us they haven’t decided on a name. They know the middle will be Jo, and want something that flows with that. One would think the first would be more important than the middle. Carlin says she “gave” them another possibility, but she doesn’t want to say it because if they don’t use it, she wants to use it for a future baby. I immediately become curious, even knowing I hate Carlin’s naming style.

Next morning, they head back to the hospital, stopping to pick up breakfast for Zach and Whit. Nice footage of Carlin holding the baby, who is cute. She announces the name. Then Evan wanders around outside, tells us as an electrician, he did a lot of work at various hospitals, and shows us some of the piping he helped install. More minutes I’ll never get back. He also tells us he’s a “preppy boy” who doesn’t like to get dirty, so electrician was an odd career choice for him. Then we skip to the Tesla dealership and that’s enough Evan for me for one day. I should know better than to watch him without fast forwarding. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

He's changed the title to Layla and Zade's 30th cousin .

I guess he forgot to count his siblings' kids. (I assume. I have no idea how many kids are in his side family) Whoopsie.

Glad you can take some advice Evan. Now do something useful with your life--- that doesn't include just buying shit and bragging

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, WatchingTheTireFireBurn said:

He's changed the title to Layla and Zade's 30th cousin .

I guess he forgot to count his siblings' kids. (I assume. I have no idea how many kids are in his side family) Whoopsie.

Just imagine, 30 cousins and they’re nowhere near finished with producing Bates grandkids! Imagine having so many cousins you can’t even remember all of their names (because there’s no way they will be able to keep up).

I have two cousins. My husband has around 10 (because his mom has four siblings), and I always thought that’s a lot.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, GreenBeans said:

Just imagine, 30 cousins and they’re nowhere near finished with producing Bates grandkids! Imagine having so many cousins you can’t even remember all of their names (because there’s no way they will be able to keep up).

I have two cousins. My husband has around 10 (because his mom has four siblings), and I always thought that’s a lot.

I have 36 cousins on my dad's side and none on my mom's side. I also knew all my cousins growing up and still do, but sometimes the relationships get a little blurry. Like I have second cousins that I always thought were another aunt or uncle. Some of my cousins are younger than my own kids since my dad is the second oldest and 17 years older than his youngest sister. I married and had children relatively young (22/23) and my younger aunts all married and had kids in their mid-thirties. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GreenBeans said:

I have 36 on mom's side and 29 on dad's side. I can remember all their names, but some of us are closer than others. I am the baby on my dad's side so some of them were already older and married by the time I came along. They have some memories of playing together once a month that I don't have any recollection of now.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, GreenBeans said:

My husband has only 4 first cousins. And they are all boys. He’s never had a female first cousin. I have 20 first cousins. 10 boys and 10 girls.  So I was amazed when my husband said he had 4. I loved having so many cousins growing up. I always had someone to play with at family gatherings. And one of my cousins has been a best friend since birth. I bet Layla and Zane will be very close with a few cousins and the rest not so much. Especially not that close with the ones in Florida. But I’m sure they will be close with Zach’s kids and maybe Josie’s kids too. 

ETA: I was lucky to have so many cousins close in age. The majority of my cousins were born between 1978-1988. I was 1982.

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 3

I have just 1 first cousin. I think he won't have children. Maybe he will have 1. 

My husband has 3 first cousins. Two definitely will not have children. The other has 2 and says 2 is her mximum. 

When I read about having 30 first cousins I get anxious!

• Upvote 2

I do have 30-ish first cousins (would have to make a list to arrive at the exact number), and my husband has about 11 or 12, I think. Our kids, however, have a grand total of one first cousin. It's crazy how much smaller the generations get.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Nothing if not critical said:

I do have 30-ish first cousins (would have to make a list to arrive at the exact number), and my husband has about 11 or 12, I think. Our kids, however, have a grand total of one first cousin. It's crazy how much smaller the generations get.

Even though I have 20 first cousins, my kids only have 3. And that’s how many they will always have. My husband’s family is filled with people who don’t want kids while my family is the opposite. The closest you’ll get on my side of the family is someone having one kid and that’s it. 

• Upvote 1

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic