IGNORED

Carlin and Evan 13: Living on SM Income

Coconut Flan

2 hours ago, watchdog said:

This is one of the most true-to-life observations I've heard in a long time!  Nailed it!  Sadly, those little divas and princesses often grow up to be insufferable big divas and princesses.

I saw the trailer for the new "Barbie" movie & the target audience seems to be adolescent girls, the "diva" and "princess" types.  Now, I wouldn't be caught dead walking into a theater to see it, and I wouldn't pay to see it, but if it's ever streamed online it looks like something I might enjoy hate-watching at home, that is unless I was struck blind 5 minutes in by all the PINK!

I’ve actually heard the opposite about the Barbie movie… that it’s really progressive and woman-centred with lots of good messages. My super right-wing siblings are hating on it big time and calling it left-wing propaganda. 🤣

• Upvote 18
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 2

50 minutes ago, Keys said:

I’ve actually heard the opposite about the Barbie movie… that it’s really progressive and woman-centred with lots of good messages. My super right-wing siblings are hating on it big time and calling it left-wing propaganda. 🤣

That’s because Ben Shapiro hates it and told all his humpers to hate it too. It’s so embarrassing to watch one idiot right winger tell millions of people exactly what to think and they go right along with it. 

Edited by JermajestyDuggar
  • Upvote 7
  • WTF 1

14 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

That’s because Ben Shapiro hates it and told all his humpers to hate it too. It’s so embarrassing to watch one idiot right winger tell millions of people exactly what to think and they go right along with it. 

Hence, sheeple. They can't think for themselves. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, marmalade said:

Hence, sheeple. They can't think for themselves. 

And yet that group in particular like to call democrats “sheep.” I try very hard to come to my own conclusions. I don’t just blindly agree with everything John Oliver says. I’ve disagreed with plenty of left leaning commenters and tv personalities 

• Upvote 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

My MIL is the worst sheep. She's a Republican because her sainted (abusive alcoholic) father was one. She hangs on Trump's every utterance. It's disgusting.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, watchdog said:

This is one of the most true-to-life observations I've heard in a long time!  Nailed it!  Sadly, those little divas and princesses often grow up to be insufferable big divas and princesses.

I saw the trailer for the new "Barbie" movie & the target audience seems to be adolescent girls, the "diva" and "princess" types.  Now, I wouldn't be caught dead walking into a theater to see it, and I wouldn't pay to see it, but if it's ever streamed online it looks like something I might enjoy hate-watching at home, that is unless I was struck blind 5 minutes in by all the PINK!

It is a wonderful movie, with the exception of the fairly brief presence of Will Farrell, and I cannot recommend it enough to every thinking adult with an appreciation for irony, good film editing, and a bit of whimsy. The target audience is most certainly not adolescent girls specifically, though I am sure that it will be enjoyed by them as well, applying above criteria. I saw it with my 25 year-old son and we were both inspired by it. I think I would not trust anyone who misapplied its clear message. 

Edited by backyard sylph
  • Upvote 16
  • I Agree 3
  • Love 2

27 minutes ago, backyard sylph said:

It is a wonderful movie, with the exception of the fairly brief presence of Will Farrell, and I cannot recommend it enough to every thinking adult with an appreciation for irony, good film editing, and a bit of whimsy. The target audience is most certainly not adolescent girls specifically, though I am sure that it will be enjoyed by them as well, applying above criteria. I saw it with my 25 year-old son and we were both inspired by it. I think I would not trust anyone who misapplied its clear message. 

I cant stand will Ferrell either, this wasn't his worst performance, but I still to this day cant get through the first 5 minutes of Elf

• Upvote 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 1

1 minute ago, raayx01 said:

I cant stand will Ferrell either, this wasn't his worst performance, but I still to this day cant get through the first 5 minutes of Elf

If I didn't believe strongly in Greta Gerwig, I'd have hesitated knowing he's in it. But he is not in it much, so he couldn't really steal the joy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I was not a fan of the Barbie movie,

I loved Margot and she was the perfect Barbie, I Love the colour the costumes and the settings 

I hated the storyline

I am in the minority I know I did not find it funny or inspiring 

I found it muddled and mixed messages 

ending under spoiler

Spoiler

I hate that it ended with a crass gyno appointment... Yeah Barbie gets out into the brand new world and this is a massive awe inspiring thing for her.... after all the talk about women power. I dunno it kind of set her up as going to a job interview ready to break the glass ceiling and ended up with a vagina joke.... 

I think it just tried to hard to be so much and just missed the mark 

I think Ryan was awesome but did not like his character 

I don't do awkward and suffer from second hand embarrassment and had my head in my hands a bunch of the movie. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, AussieKrissy said:

I think it just tried to hard to be so much and just missed the mark 

I think the whole purpose of this movie is an advertising and rebranding / “pink washing” (not sure if that’s the right word) campaign for the Barbie brand image orchestrated by Mattel. 

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 2

On 7/25/2023 at 1:25 PM, Longhairedheathen said:

Oh, my time to sadly shine! Native Texan here having grown up around elevated lead levels. 

I can only really speak on Texas but 90% of it comes from the water infrastructure having lead pipes. Texas government (and I pretty sure Tennessee gov) made it a county issue and it is very expansive to replace these pipes. It's why you can have a new build but still have high levels of lead due to the pipes from the county or city.  Also some plumbers use lead to solder the cooper joints. I need to point out that most of Texas Congress have stakes in water filter companies...and how they got their seats were campaigning to get their pipes in their counties fixed. 

Here is a link that shows you just how bad some of the county's are:  are https://tabexternal.dshs.texas.gov/t/BLS/views/BloodLeadTestingandElevatedBloodLeadLevelsinTexasChildren2013-2019/Story?%3Aiid=1&%3AisGuestRedirectFromVizportal=y&%3Aembed=y

There are sites like TapSafe that can help people navigate seeing if their drinking water have violations. Looking at their city, it looks like they have a violation from the safe drinking water act so even if they aren't drinking it. Just showering or watering their garden, it can cause their levels to rise. 

https://www.tapsafe.org/is-lake-city-tn-tap-water-safe-to-drink/

GOOD NEWS - It can be reversed and the levels of lead can be reduced from the body and they will educated on how to lower them. 

BAD NEWS - They will support (mainly) Republican politicians that support not fixing the water infrastructure in these rural towns. 

Yea, people really don’t focus enough on the municipal piping and high lead content. It’s much easier and cheaper on a governmental level to put the blame on each house, or toy or person. Not that those aren’t important, but they are relatively easy to fix on an individual level compared to an entire underground infrastructure.
And it’s not just Republican ran governments. When the Flint, Michigan water crisis was getting the most news attention President Obama infamously went on camera drinking the tap water to show how “safe” it was. Never mind that a grown man having a glass of lead filled water isn’t going to have the negative impact as daily exposure  on a developing brain! Still makes me angry. 

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, raayx01 said:

I hate Elf too. Thanks for making me feel less like a sociopath😂

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

On 7/25/2023 at 8:23 PM, Keys said:

Before this conversation, the thought about contaminants in the clothing from China crossed my mind, too. They’re always at the boutique unboxing items and packing them, and I’d wondered if a cause like that could be contributing to Carlin’s health issues. I have seen patients with very bad skin reactions from working in retail. Some choose to wear gloves to handle all the packaging and merchandise. Many clothes are also sprayed with flame retardant and may contain other chemicals. I went down a big rabbit hole reading about organic baby clothing when our babe was born. The TLDR is that there’s actually legit benefits (mainly the materials being ethically sourced and made, and also the health considerations of the materials used to make the clothing). But, most of the irritating/potentially damaging chemicals reduce significantly after a few washes (but then enter the water system/soil… another topic). 

I’ve also noticed that Carlin and some of her sisters don’t seem aware that you’re supposed to wash brand new clothing, towels, and bedding before use precisely because they are often treated with nasty stuff like formaldehyde and can even be contaminated with lead. For example, I recall Carlin putting out guest towels that were still new in their packaging from the store, and I think I recall her putting a new duvet cover straight onto Layla’s bed when it still had the fold marks from its packaging. Josie recently did a shoot for her business in a pajama set that clearly just came out of the packaging. 

IMG_6235.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I was always told to wash new clothing but I became even more fastidious about it once I had babies with sensitive skin prone to eczema. Now it’s so drilled into me that I can’t imagine anyone in my house wearing or using anything without being washed first. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eyeroll 1
  • I Agree 2

On 7/26/2023 at 9:12 PM, backyard sylph said:

One of my friends and I are going on Tuesday (cheap day). I’m excited. I haven’t been to a movie in almost four years. 

• Love 6

On 7/26/2023 at 6:32 PM, watchdog said:

But enjoying pink and feminine stuff is not necessarily a BAD thing. I think the release of the movie, with the promo being super pink and girly has help a lot of women embrace their femininity. If it isn't your thing, okay. That is fine too. But loving and enjoying stuff that are traditionally considered feminine (because let's face, feminine and masculine colors or interests are just a damn construct), well it isn't ''diva'' or ''princessy''. I doesn't mean you are a superficial dumb blonde. At one point growing-up in the late 90's/early 2000s, I pretended to hate pink, purple or similar colors, because pink, or liking dresses, or being into make-up, or nail polish was perceived as lesser. It's so dumb that I had to hide that part of me.

Anyhow, I know the conversation started about being a ''diva'' and I agree that being entitled and spoiled is not a good character trait for anyone (either in woman nor man). But I respectfully disagree with associating a feminine movie with those traits.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Love 2

@watchdog also preconceived notions much? it's not even geared towards adolescent girls. and it's really more than just "divas" and "princesses". Like damn I hate the color pink and was very much and still a tomboy and guess what? I also like painting my nails and played with barbies growing up! Like are we good? Just a lot of works spoken about gendering shit.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, Vivi_music said:

But enjoying pink and feminine stuff is not necessarily a BAD thing. I think the release of the movie, with the promo being super pink and girly has help a lot of women embrace their femininity. If it isn't your thing, okay. That is fine too. But loving and enjoying stuff that are traditionally considered feminine (because let's face, feminine and masculine colors or interests are just a damn construct), well it isn't ''diva'' or ''princessy''. I doesn't mean you are a superficial dumb blonde. At one point growing-up in the late 90's/early 2000s, I pretended to hate pink, purple or similar colors, because pink, or liking dresses, or being into make-up, or nail polish was perceived as lesser. It's so dumb that I had to hide that part of me.

Anyhow, I know the conversation started about being a ''diva'' and I agree that being entitled and spoiled is not a good character trait for anyone (either in woman nor man). But I respectfully disagree with associating a feminine movie with those traits.

I’m not a girlie girl but I think I would like Barbie. Just like I love Legally Blonde. 

• Upvote 7

I will probably watch it eventually but I won't pay the big money that is necessary for actual movie theatres these days!

I've basically  read the whole plot (spoilers dont bother me). I know many people are saying it's a feminist movie but there's several things I've seen/heard mentioned that sound a lot more like feminist lip service. I won't go into specifics because of the spoiler-y-ness of it and I haven't technically watched it so seems unfair to comment. but one thing was mentioned under a spoiler above. 

Also, in the end Mattel was ok with this movie and will use it to promote the whole consumerist lifestyle that I think in the end isn't good for anybody of whatever sex or gender.

Oops, I don't wash brand-new clothing... I didn't realise you're supposed to! My mother doesn't either. I have sensitive/eczema-prone skin but haven't had any issues. Maybe I'll start washing new stuff in the future. I just worry about it shrinking!

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Oops, I don't wash brand-new clothing... I didn't realise you're supposed to! My mother doesn't either. I have sensitive/eczema-prone skin but haven't had any issues. Maybe I'll start washing new stuff in the future. I just worry about it shrinking!

I wash it in cold and then use a drying rack if I’m afraid of shrinking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 1

On 7/27/2023 at 9:18 PM, Dominionatrix said:

I’ve also noticed that Carlin and some of her sisters don’t seem aware that you’re supposed to wash brand new clothing, towels, and bedding before use precisely because they are often treated with nasty stuff like formaldehyde and can even be contaminated with lead. For example, I recall Carlin putting out guest towels that were still new in their packaging from the store, and I think I recall her putting a new duvet cover straight onto Layla’s bed when it still had the fold marks from its packaging. Josie recently did a shoot for her business in a pajama set that clearly just came out of the packaging. 

IMG_6235.jpeg

I know Josie also presented some sheets for quite an expensive brand, I want to say Boll & Branch and yep, straight out of the package onto the bed!

Edited by Smoochie
  • Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Smoochie said:

I know Josie also presented some sheets for quite an expensive brand, I want to say Boll & Branch and yep, straight out of the package onto the bed!

This makes me shudder. They've been in a factory, rolling through machines, dye vats, people have touched them, dust/dirt/grime, they coat fabrics in things for storage and shipping...just ew.

Simply the dye would be worrisome. Almost every new thing I've had stained the washer waster for a few washes. And they don't use hippie friendly plant dyes, I'm sure.

• Upvote 4
  • I Agree 6

• nelliebelle1197 locked this topic